• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gears of War 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skler

Smash Master
Melees in the first Gears were a glitch in general. POW from across the map!

Me and Th0rn are going to win the gamebattles tourny, get at us.

smashman90

Smash Lord
I recently made a profile on Gamebattles, it's probably gonna take me a while to join a team. I assume your team is in the Holiday Classic #1 tournament.

Edit: Today I bought the combustion map pack. One thing that I like about these new maps is that they would be very fun to do on Horde. Flood is probably my favorite of the new maps. It is very huge and it has two levels to it, which makes it very easy to hide which can be both a good thing and a bad thing. I am not forsure if it was worth the money though, I only played the maps with only bots. Need to test it out with actual people.

Skler

Smash Master
I don't see why they didn't just release the maps for free. I mean really, they aren't going to be used in public matches because not everyone is going to buy them and NOBODY wants to play Player's Choice. Why not just please everybody with free maps instead of pissing off those who buy them (because they won't be played) and pissing off those who didn't (because they might be good).

I don't get it EPIC, you used to be cool :(

xX Boezy Xx

Smash Journeyman
I think they should've tried working a patch to help ease lag or other multiplayer issues before EPIC even considered a map pack..but whatever...

Xihyon

Smash Cadet
They should have fixed the multiplayer before releasing Gears of War 2.
Heard that they do a good job with listening to the community and they will fix what they should have already. ....
....That is... if the community is smart.

They might ask for something like stronger shotgun, or to fix chain saw vacuum.

And for those who think the shotgun needs to be buffed.... learn to aim.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I've actually learned to accept the chainsaw and frag nades and smoke nade down time.

My only real problem with this game is host advantage. It's not so bad when the host has a good connection, but I always end up playing against some foreigner who lives in a college dorm w/ a ****ty connection.

I'm party leader a lot for my friends games, so I know the power of Host, if they could somehow fix that I'd be set.

I dunno how they'd fix it, but I know I never feel host on Halo.

D

Deleted member

aight so im a total ****ing noob to GoW. i wanna ask a couple questions:

why the hell is it so hard to get into a ****ing game? it takes forever.

is there a free for all mode?

someone said no one plays players' choice...what should i be choosing?

for all the hype in this game i dont understand why the menu system is incredibly clunky.

th0rn

Smash Lord
Sometimes there's a glitch where it won't find a match, so you just have to cancel and search again. As for me, I'm forced to sign out, sign back in for EVERY VIDEOGAME before i'm able to search and find a match, idk why... my connection i guess =*(

Wingman is pretty much FFA with a teammate lol

YOu should be playing elimination (execution) the most if you're a tourney f ag, territories and wingman are also popular too for them casuals =D

Skler

Smash Master
This game is amazing. Me and Thorn are still in the winners bracket of the Holiday Classic 2 tournament on game battles. TOO GOOD.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Relief is on the way! Another patch is scheduled to be released sometime this month.

"Some of the improvements planned: adding Achievements for the DLC content; fixing bugs; and addressing exploits.

Some of the online exploits the patch aims to fix involve players wielding an invisible shield, gaining infinite Lancer ammo and equipping a shield with a two-handed weapon. Epic also plans to include a harsher penalty for quitting matches early, spawn point protection and the ability to see the Submission flag using Tac/Com.

Most importantly (to shotgun whores), the new patch will fix "client side hit detection," so even in "laggy" matches the gun will be more reliable."

"This update should fix a number of the game's online woes, as well as improving "the frequency of in-game Achievement progression notifications"."

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/01/06/gears-2-update-addressing-several-issues-planned-for-january/
http://kotaku.com/5124232/gears-2-should-be-fixed-later-this-month

This patch might actually make me want to play Gears 2 online again! :D

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Yup, I've been enjoying it even with the problems, but this will probably make it my favorite online multiplayer game.

smashbot226

Smash Master
aight so im a total ****ing noob to GoW. i wanna ask a couple questions:

why the hell is it so hard to get into a ****ing game? it takes forever.

is there a free for all mode?

someone said no one plays players' choice...what should i be choosing?

for all the hype in this game i dont understand why the menu system is incredibly clunky.
1. No idea.

2. No.

3. IDK, do Deathmatch or whatever the killing one is called.

4. It's not clunky once you get used to it.

--------------

So, I have an idea for a new DLC:
CHARACTER SPECIFIC EXECUTIONS!

No more simple Ground N Pound for the Y button- all the weapon execution attacks would be switched to B.

Now, each character in Multiplayer would ow their own Execution, but it would take around 5 seconds to fully complete.

The best part? They're absolutely BRUTAL. Why kick a guy's head in when you can rip his god**** head off or rip off his arm and beat him to death with it?!?

Also, you get 5 achievement points for performing each one five times.

Here's a few examples and achievement names are in brackets:

MARCUS FENIX: HEAD RIP (That's A Keeper)- Marcus steps over the downed foe, so he is standing over his back. Then, he bends down, places both hands on the downed guy's head, then twists it around a little, and finally rips it off the foe's shoulders, then tosses it a distance forward while roaring.

DOMINIC SANTIAGO: KNEE SMASH (You Broke My Fall) - Dom takes a few steps backwards from the downed foe, then runs forward and jumps onto the foe's head, knees first, as his poor victim's head goes pop underneath the pressure.

BENJAMIN CARMINE: BEATDOWN (Old Faithful)- Benjamin keeps the Ground N Pound execution, but with a neat addition- after the third punch, Benjamin bends down to lift the foe up by his skin/armor, then lands one more punch in the guy's face, breaking it into pieces. You can even hear the breaking on impact...

DRONE: RIP APART (For The Queen!)- The drone, a common locust, picks up his prey by lifting them with their backs, so that the drone looks like he is about to toss them some distance. However, after a straining pull, the drone splits the poor guy in half, only using his brute strength!

RAAM: ULTIMATE SLAM (RAAM's Revenge)- RAAM, angry at the attacking C.O.G, picks up a downed foe by both his feet with ONE hand, swings them around, then finally slams them into the ground, breaking his body apart on impact. RAAM would likely say the following after:

"YEEEEEEESSSSSS!"

"REVENGE."

"DESTROYED."

"YOU SUCK!"

And RARELY:

"SACK OF SH*T."

SKORGE: CHAINSTAFF SPLIT (Sera Chainstaff Massacre)- Skorge has a neat little weapon, eh? Luckily, he can use it now too! After tossing the downed foe into the air, Skorge's chainstaff falls from the sky, as Skorge catches it, spins around, and on the final spin, cuts through the descending foe's torso, splitting them in half. Sometimes Skorge will say, "CHUNKY." afterwards. He then tosses the chainstaff away.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
Is the online play still really bad? I was thinking of getting this but bad online play turns me off buying it.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Is the online play still really bad? I was thinking of getting this but bad online play turns me off buying it.
In my opinion, the online multiplayer is barely playable because it still takes a considerably amount of time to find teammates and opponents.

The campaign was better in Gears 2 but right now, Gears 1 had the better online because you can actually play it and they have unranked games (which was a big plus IMO).

I'd still recommend getting the game through, you just need alot of patience to play it online.

Skler

Smash Master
I've been finding games really quickly lately. I also found a game where the ENTIRE OTHER TEAM would use the invisible glitch. It was gay.

The next patch can't come soon enough, though I will miss the shotty to the sky.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
New Gears of War 2 achievements appear on Xbox.com!

Sources / Links : http://www.joystiq.com/2009/01/20/new-achievements-appear-for-gears-of-war-2/

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2009/01/19/new-gears-2-achievements-appear-on-xbox-com/

"The new achievements - which aren't unlockable until the patch releases - add an extra 175 Gamerscore to Gears 2's total and all are targeted toward achievements made in multiplayer on the Flashback and Combustible DLC.

Skeletons in your Closet (20G) - Complete waves 1 through 10 on all Flashback Map Pack maps in Horde (any difficulty)

More Mystery, Less History (15G) - Win a multiplayer match on each of the 5 Flashback Map Pack maps (any mode except Wingman)

Bound by a Shared Past (15G) - Win a Wingman match on each of the 5 Flashback Map Pack maps

Trial by, and on, Fire (20G) - Survive first 10 Horde waves on Combustible Map Pack maps as a team

The Roof! The Roof! The Roof... (15G) - Win a multiplayer match on each of the 3 Combustible Map Pack maps (any mode except Wingman)

Forged in the Fire (15G) - Win a Wingman match on each of the 3 Combustible Map Pack maps

Annex: Now With Execution Rules (75G) - Win an Annex match on each Flashback and Combustible Map Pack map (public matches only)

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I HATE those achievements.

Yeah, I'll still have fun getting them, but I wanted something more creative.

Kill the Host 3 times in a public match
Win 5 games in a row- public
Complete 10 games with a 3.5 kd or higher- public
Score 50 headshots with the boltok-public
Get 100 kills with x weapon- public
Get 10,000 kills in public
Win 500 matches. -public
5-0 a team of higher rank than you-public
5-0 a team 30 times- public
Clutch a 4 on 1 or 5 on 1-public
Win a match using only the COG pistol- public
Complete Horde through wave 50 without starting over
Beat campaign without being downed
Kill three people with one poison nade- public

Come on, is it really that hard to come up with interesting achievements that you can enjoy getting as you continue to play the game? I flinched when I looked at those wingman achievments.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
The second title update for Gears of War 2 is finally live!

Sources / Links :

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/01/21/second-gears-of-war-2-update-squashes-bugs-adds-achievements/

http://kotaku.com/5136028/gears-of-war-2-update-arrives-with-mountain-of-fixes-and-tweaks

"First up is multiplayer, and this update "addresses a large number" of "exploits and issues" and tosses in some "balancing tweaks" just to make things fair. For those of you looking for "moar" achievements, this update adds "7 new DLC-based gongs."

"The patch, which went up about 3 a.m., also adds seven new achievements, four of which require the Flashback Map Pack that came free with new copies of Gears of War 2."

Exploit Fixes

* A player could melee or grenade tag through certain walls.
* A player could equip a shield and a two-handed weapon simultaneously.
* A player could make their shield invisible.
* A player could become invisible.
* A player could do a "super" mantle or "kung fu flip," flying high into the air.
* A player could gain unlimited ammo with the Lancer Assault Rifle.
* A player could fire while roadie running (also known as "crabwalking").
* A player could pick up a weapon while sliding into cover.
* A player could walk forward while firing a deployed mortar.
* A player could force an opponent to be stuck in the down but not out (DBNO) position.
* A player could prevent other players from picking up a heavy weapon.
* A player could pick up a dropped meatflag without having to knock him down.
* A ragdolled player could be killed without ever going DBNO.
* A player could roadie run while firing the Scorcher Flamethrower.
* A player could get stuck while evading, though they could continue shooting in any direction.
* A player could concuss themselves under the stairs on the River map.

General Fixes

* An issue with client-side hit detection of the Gnasher Shotgun. The fix makes the shotgun more reliable in high-latency situations.
* An issue where players could have shotgun or Boomshot rounds fire into the ground when shooting from the hip.
* A split-screen issue where one player transitioning to the death battle camera disrupted input from the other player.
* An issue that could cause players' Look sensitivity to be changed to their Zoom sensitivity while zooming in, zooming out, and firing.
* An issue that could cause players to get stuck if they tried to pick up a heavy weapon while firing the shotgun at the same time.
* An issue where players could become stuck if they kicked over a shield while ragdolled from a smoke grenade.
* An issue where bots were unable to kick over a shield that was planted backward.
* An issue where players who quit during voting didn't show up in the end game stats, which meant other players couldn't easily provide negative feedback on them.
* An issue where players couldn't chainsaw enemy meatshields if the meatshields were already damaged.
* An issue where some players would not see the animation of a meatshield being chainsawed.
* An issue where players could not chainsaw an opposing team meatshield in a game type that doesn't allow respawns (for example, Warzone and Execution).
* An issue where a player partway through the act of raising or lowering the chainsaw did not transition into a duel when attacked from the front with a chainsaw.
* An issue where occasionally a player waiting to respawn could not respawn when repeatedly hitting the left trigger to switch cameras.
* An issue where some teammates couldn't communicate between rounds in games type that don't allow respawns, because dead team members were left in the dead radio channel until the next round started.
* An issue where a DBNO player could be seen as standing if knocked DBNO while reloading the mortar.
* An issue where a player joining a Private Xbox LIVE game in progress from another specific type of game could potentially lose HUD functionality.
* An issue on the Flood map where a player's dying from Imulsion did not trigger a death message or penalize the player as other environmental deaths did.
* An issue with Guardian games where if the leader is the last player killed on a team, the round may not end, due to the respawn timer.
* A campaign issue where the gamer picture would not be awarded when the game is completed on Insane.
* An issue where a player would continue to fire the flamethrower and damage other players if that player was knocked DBNO while firing it.
* An issue that could cause a player to get stuck while moving and quickly attempting to aim the mortar at the same time.
* An issue with Horde games where clients didn't receive the "waiting for host" message after they failed a wave.
* A Horde split-screen issue that could cause a team to get –2 billion in score, which when posted to the leaderboards looked like +2 billion.
* An issue where dead players may not show up in the metadata for multiplayer photos.
* A system link issue where if a multiplayer match and a co-op game were hosted at the same time on the same LAN, neither could be joined.
* Additional miscellaneous bug fixes.

Balancing (lol)

* Made planted proximity grenade mines much easier to shoot off the surface they're planted on, by giving them 50 percent less health.
* Set grenades to respawn less frequently. When a player picks up grenades from a spawned location, a new set of grenades does not respawn until the previous grenades have been used.
* Increased the penalty to rank for players who quit Public Xbox LIVE matches early.
* Buffed the flamethrower to have stopping power (to slow a charging enemy) and to cause a chainsaw interrupt (to force the opponent to lower a revved chainsaw).
* Removed the ability to instantly shoot coming out of a roadie run.
* Added additional spawn protection to prevent proximity grenade mines and chainsaws from killing a player within 5 seconds after spawning.
* Balanced grenade spawn cycling on the Hail map so that both teams have equal access to both types of grenades.

Improvements

* Changed Annex games to use execution rules, to prevent players from leaving DBNO opponents on the ground to bleed out.
* Made Horde waves count toward the "Party Like It's 1999" achievement. Each wave is counted as one round.
* Added the ability, during Submission games, to see the flag's final destination by using Tac/Com.
* Increased the frequency of most of the toasts for in-game achievement progression.
* Added achievement progression numbers to the War Journal.
* Added 7 new DLC-based achievements worth 175 points (progress toward them starts after Title Update 2 is applied):
o "Skeletons in Your Closet" (20 points): Complete waves 1 through 10 on all Flashback Map Pack maps in Horde (any difficulty).
o "Trial by, and on, Fire" (20 points): Complete waves 1 through 10 on all Combustible Map Pack maps in Horde (any difficulty).
o "More Mystery, Less History" (15 points): Win a multiplayer match on each of the 5 Flashback Map Pack maps (any mode except Wingman).
o "The Roof! The Roof! The Roof…" (15 points): Win a multiplayer match on each of the 3 Combustible Map Pack maps (any mode except Wingman).
o "Bound by a Shared Past" (15 points): Win a Wingman match on each of the 5 Flashback Map Pack maps.
o "Forged in the Fire" (15 points): Win a Wingman match on each of the 3 Combustible Map Pack maps.
o "Annex: Now with Execution Rules" (75 points): Win an Annex match on each of the Flashback and Combustible Map Pack maps (Public only)."

I'm still waiting for the combustible map pack to become free because I know it will eventually.

Skler

Smash Master
I think I may need to play gears RIGHT NOW.

Edit: LOL @ some of the achievement names and all of them being boring.

I can't wait to not get most of them.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Third Gears 2 title update already being discussed.

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2009/01/24/third-gears-2-title-update-already-being-discussed/

"Among what's being discussed is toning down of the ever popular "two-piece", re-tweaking of smoke grenades, looking into the lag situation and more. Make the jump to read up on what the third title update may offer, but know that the Epic crew has yet to officially confirm a release date or even its existence."

Skler

Smash Master
Re-tweaking the smoke grenades would be the best thing ever. Two piecing doesn't need to be toned down, depending on your opponent's connection they can blindfire you between the melee and the shot.

Smoke grenades need to become less ******** IMMEDIATELY.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Combustible is better, but Flashback is half the price and 5 maps versus three.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Combustible is better, but Flashback is half the price and 5 maps versus three.
Well, new copies of Gears of War 2 already come with a code for you to download the Flashback map pack for free but if you buy the game used, you can buy it for a fee on the XBLM. I would recommend not buying any of the map packs because if the trend is to follow like Gears 1, they will all eventually become free.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
See, I would reccomend buying them, because then you don't have to wait for them to be free.

It'll probably be a good 4 or 5 months still until they're free.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Epic Considers Remaking Gears 2 Ranking Structure

http://kotaku.com/5149074/epic-considers-remaking-gears-2-ranking-structure
http://xbox.joystiq.com/2009/02/08/epic-looks-to-overhaul-gears-2-ranking-system-with-third-title-u/

"With the third Gears of War 2 title update in development, Epic's Rod Fergusson just informed us that they're looking to overhaul the game's online ranking system. Instead of showing ranks based on the broken complex TrueSkill system, they want to implement a ranking structure based on cumulative experience. One that rewards players points for every game played.

"What if, instead of skill rank, we instead showed your experience level," proposes Fergusson. "You would gain experience through your individual performance" adding, that the "higher your score at the end, the more experience you acquire." A system that sounds similar to Call of Duty 4 or even Halo 3. Mr. Fergusson mentions that the max level cap would hover around 99 and achievements could be added to reward ranking progression."

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I like the sound of it, I just hope they keep the trueskill as well, because otherwise garbage kids can have a sick rank if they just play a ton.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I like the sound of it, I just hope they keep the trueskill as well, because otherwise garbage kids can have a sick rank if they just play a ton.
You mean how it's pretty easy for someone to gain a general ranking in a specific playlist if they play/win enough games? Whenever I play a social game and I see someone with the general thing next to their gamertag, I laugh because it basically means nothing.

I could see gears of war 2 is still going on even after it's 4th game aleady. So is this a must have game for the PS2? If it is then yea im buying it.
It's exclusive to the 360... =/

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I got standbyed twice in three games today.

Awesome.
File a complaint, give them negative feedback and move on.

EDIT: Another TU for March 24th and 4 maps! (1 is a remake - Fuel Depot) Oh and also a better experience system.

http://kotaku.com/5169294/heres-your-new-gears-of-war-2-map-pack-and-experience-system
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/13/gears-2-snowblind-map-pack-coming-march-31-title-update-on-ma/

Additional Achievements?

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/20/xbox-com-reveals-more-gears-of-war-2-achievements/

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/gears-of-war-2/achievements/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom