• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gears of War 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
*BUMP*

New TU in the works...(again??) oh and some maps...

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/23/epic-details-next-gears-2-update-snowblind-to-cost-800-ms-point/

"Also, for those of you who crave new maps (or just want to play one of the first game's greatest levels, Fuel Depot, again), looks like your dreams have been shattered: Gears of War 2's Snowblind map pack will cost you a cool 800 when it releases March 31, just as the Combustible maps did. "

"Title Update 3 makes these new improvements:

Adds 100 levels of player experience that you can gain based on your score in Public matches. The game still uses Trueskill for matchmaking to find the most competitive matches, but the skill rank is now hidden. The new level of experience appears next to your gamertag, with levels 1 through 99 displayed as numbers and level 100 displayed as an icon. The game normalizes experience based on match type so that players earn an equivalent amount of experience across all modes.

Adds an experience penalty for players quitting before a match is complete. (!)(!)

Adds bots automatically to a Public Match if players quit and cause unbalanced teams. This ability has always existed in Private Matches if the bot count is set higher than zero. (!)

Optimizes playlists to only have two modes per playlist. Ties are decided by random selection.

Adds map cycling to Private Matches. The first match map is chosen by vote or by host, and when that match is completed, the game transitions automatically to the next match, with the next map selected in alphabetical order.

Adds the ability for teams to talk to each other between rounds in a Private Match.

Adds the ability to save Public and Private Horde high scores after each complete wave, in case the host loses connection.

Makes minor changes to general bandwidth usage. (!)

Adds region preference to matchmaking. (!)(!)(!)

Improves standby detection. (!)(!)(!)(!)

Adds nine new achievements worth 250 points. Progress toward them starts after Title Update 3 is applied. Six of the new achievements require the Snowblind Map Pack, a set of four new maps to be released soon at the end of this month.

Exploit Fixes

Title Update 3 fixes these possible exploits, where under certain circumstances:

A player could swap from a pistol to a two-handed weapon during a cover slide and then mantle greater distances.

Players could kill themselves in Wingman to avoid giving their opponents more points. Now, suicides and team killing will reduce team score. (!)(!)(!)

A player holding a meatshield could melee through some walls.

A player could equip a two-handed weapon with a shield using either the Boltok or the Gorgon pistol.

A player could equip a two-handed weapon with a meatshield using either the Boltok or the Gorgon pistol.

A player could prevent planted shields from being picked up by other players.

Players could launch themselves into the air with a smoke grenade while mantling.

General Fixes

Title Update 3 fixes these other issues as well:

An issue that caused chainsaw interruption when a player is shot to be less reliable in some body positions than in others.

An issue where a third player could join a Public Wingman party lobby and remove another player from the game. (!)

An issue in Submission games where occasionally the meatflag would immediately run back to the spawn point after being dropped.

An issue where players that were knocked down but not out (DBNO) while planting the Boomshield would appear to be standing.

An elevation-based issue where the detection for a headshot might not align properly with certain character model heads. (!)

An issue that could cause Wingman teammates to have different character models. (!)(!)

Additional miscellaneous bug fixes.

Balancing

Title Update 3 makes these balancing changes:

Reduces stun duration of smoke grenades. Currently, characters always start to get up after 2 seconds. (!) x a billion

Gives melee the same delay after roadie running that shooting received in Title Update 2. (!)(!)(!)(!)

Removes spawn protection from the Horde in Horde mode.

Increased the forward angle that triggers chainsaw duels so that players with Lancers equipped won't be sawn from the side without a duel. (!)(!)

Reduces the delay before a player can climb up after entering low cover. (Will this affect Tyro Station, Canals, and other classic maps where it's hard to mantle up? We hope so!)

Makes minor changes to weapon spawns on the Subway map to provide greater balance. (So Cog won't automatically win thanks to better weapons any more?)"

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Mhmm. Really looking forward to tomorrow. The new maps will be fun as well.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
*BUMP*

New Gears of War 2 content available at retail stores on July 28th, 2009

http://kotaku.com/5242314/new-gears-2-content-striking-retail-on-all-fronts
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/06/gears-of-war-2-retail-compilation-all-fronts-releasing-july-28/
http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/05/06/gears-of-war-2-all-fronts-collection-coming-july-28th.aspx
http://gamerscoreblog.com/press/archive/2009/05/06/gmfvr4854.aspx

"Dark Corners is not DLC. It's a new map pack being included in the Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection, available exclusively at retail worldwide on July 28th. The collection includes all of the Gears 2 DLC to date, along with Dark Fronts, a collection of seven new multiplayer maps which you can find detailed below.

In order to make the pack worthwhile to those who've already downloaded the majority of the Gears 2 DLC, the package also contains an introduction from Cliff Bleszinski for "Road to Ruin", a collectible poster, a strategy guide, and a custom Xbox Live theme."

"And the price? $19.99, £14.99, or €19.99, depending on who you're paying for the privilege of taking the package home. A great value for those who've yet to download map one for the game, though things get a bit sketchy the more you've already purchased. Extras aside, is $20 too much for seven new maps?"

Skler

Smash Master
Some people would say Epic is whoring themselves out, hard. What's this make? 13 downloadable maps from a company that said people shouldn't have to pay for maps or something to that effect?

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I'm still waiting for Epic games to fix all the lag and glitches/bugs in Gears of War 2.

Also, I'm glad I never bought any of the DLC. I'll just wait till they become free like Gears of War 1, if they don't, oh well I don't really care.

EDIT: Does it still take 30 minutes to find a multiplayer game? :D

ID_Unavailable

Smash Rookie
I just bought GoW2 so that I'd have something to play online with a couple of my friends on my 360 around the holiday seasons. Maybe I should have gone with Vegas 2, as I later found out they all owned that as well (and I had more fun playing it in the week or so that I had it when I rented it).

GoW2 had a much better single player than GoW1. The multiplayer... eh, it had some improvements, but even more problems. Horde was the only fun thing to play on it. MP was full of the pre-pubescent "SCREECH IN THE MIC" glitchers like in the original. And then there were annoying factors such as lag and poor gameplay decisions (srsly, smoke grenades knocking you around like that was a horrible idea, and the fact that you can just stick them in any wall so that I'm knocked across the ground like an air hockey puck by 3 smoke grenades when rounding every other corner gets old fast).

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I just bought GoW2 so that I'd have something to play online with a couple of my friends on my 360 around the holiday seasons. Maybe I should have gone with Vegas 2, as I later found out they all owned that as well (and I had more fun playing it in the week or so that I had it when I rented it).

GoW2 had a much better single player than GoW1. The multiplayer... eh, it had some improvements, but even more problems. Horde was the only fun thing to play on it. MP was full of the pre-pubescent "SCREECH IN THE MIC" glitchers like in the original. And then there were annoying factors such as lag and poor gameplay decisions (srsly, smoke grenades knocking you around like that was a horrible idea, and the fact that you can just stick them in any wall so that I'm knocked across the ground like an air hockey puck by 3 smoke grenades when rounding every other corner gets old fast).
Gears of War 1 had better multiplayer in my opinion while Gears of War 2 had a better campaign.

Oh and don't forget about host shotgun, it kills you from almost any range...and good luck beating the host with your own shotgun. I'm just happy that when you get shot with your chainsaw revved up, you don't flinch as easily as before. I remember I once revved up my chainsaw in MP and went over to chainsaw someone and they shot me as point blank range with their shotgun, I didn't flinch and then I proceeded to chainsaw him. :p

I had high hopes for Gears of War 2 when I got it but I was overall disappointed with it.

Skler

Smash Master
MLG is switching from hammerbursts to lancers for their tournies due to camping.

The online isn't bad for Gears 2, they just need to make nades in general less ********. Frags are way too good, smokes are (still) too good, and inks are perfect. Maybe change the smoke knockdown time to just ONE second and they'd be useful but not broken. Makes frags just like gears 1 frags and give us the gears 1 shotgun back (they beefed up ranged weapons and nerfed the shotgun, bad call as they only needed to do one of those things).

Also fix the country filter. I hate playing against people from other countries and rubberbanding back to spawn 10 seconds into the match.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
^ As the required starting weapon in MLG matches. People are way too good w/ the hammerburst and there are many modded controllers out there, so it leads to a lot of camping with everyone scared to make a move because they'll most likely be downed in half a second.

Omis

my friends were skinny
Ok that really pisses me off. I was pretty good with the lancer then switched to HB so I could do MLG. Now they are making me switch back. Is this influenced by the buff it seemed to get in TU3?

Skler

Smash Master
It's influenced by hammerbursts on a LAN connection (everyone being host) making everyone camp. Stopping power + down in < half a second = everyone camps. Hell, even online you could down somebody in half a second if they weren't wallbouncing around.

Now people will be camping with lancers. Granted, active snub pistol is still better than the lancer. Word on the street is the bultok (I won't even pretend to be able to spell it right) pistol is banned too, even though it was probably the weapon that took the most skill to be effective with.

You should still use the hammerburst in matchmaking because it's so much better than the lancer that you're crippling yourself if you don't pick it.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Epic cuts price on 'Dark Corners,' pushes 'All Fronts' to Xbox Live Marketplace :

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/31/epic-cuts-price-on-dark-corners-pushes-all-fronts-to-xbox-l/

"In speaking with IGN, Epic's Rod Fergusson said that the feedback from fans on the original 1600 ($20) price for 'Dark Corners' and the retail release of 'All Fronts' wasn't, well ... favorable. So, Epic decided to mix things up.

Dark Corners will now be offered at a much cheaper price of 1200 ($15). As for 'All Fronts,' it's ditching its planned retail release for an exclusive Xbox Live Marketplace stay, where fans will be to download the content for 1600 ($20) at 12:00am GMT on July 28."

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I'm confused about that. So is the $15 download JUST Dark Corners, while the $20 download is Dark Corners + All Fronts (being all the multiplayer map packs)?

ThreeX

Smash Lord
awwww skler posted<3 i found the gears thread on page 2!!@! LMFAO.

Honestly though, Gears2 MP would be good.. if they could fix the "host choosing" lol. Epic ****ed up big time.. it's as if it picks the worst possible host.. it's ********. The game is delicious on a good host though, With the new title update, they talked about trying to fix the host situation.. but who knows if they'll do it, I got my fingers crossed I guess?

I agree with skler though.. frags are stupid.. blast radius in general is messed up in this game.. from mortars to the dawn's initial blast.. they're so broken. <333 skler needs to play more gears though :D

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Gears of War 2 'All Fronts' and 'Dark Corners' DLC available now

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/28/gears-of-war-2-all-fronts-and-dark-corners-dlc-available-now/

"Attention, COG lovers and Locust loathers, the new Gears of War 2 DLC is now available for download on Xbox Live Marketplace. For the truly hardcore Marcus fans out there -- the ones who have already bought all the previous multiplayer maps -- you'll want to look for the Dark Corners Multiplayer Map Pack. It contains seven new multiplayer maps and the single-player level "Road to Ruin" and will set you back 1200 ($15).

For those who are new to Gears of War 2 -- or those who have avoided all the DLC thus far -- you'll be better served by the All Fronts Collection, which contains every single multiplayer map released and "Road to Ruin" for 1600 ($20)."

Video in link as well.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Has anyone played the new Dark Corners maps yet?

If you have Gears 2 and are thinking about buying them, then I must tell you to BUY THEM ASAP!!

They are easily (imo) the best maps in the WHOLE GAME. They put the regular muliplayer maps to shame in terms of quality.

After playing each of them, my favorites are-
1. Allfather's Garden
2. War Machine
3. Nowhere
4. Way Station
5. Memorial
6. Sanctuary
7. Highway (havent gotten a game on this map yet, so I cant give an opinion on this one)

Dont get me wrong though, ALL of these maps are fantastic!

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Retailers list Gears of War 2: Game of the Year Edition

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/25/retailers-list-gears-of-war-2-game-of-the-year-edition/

"The cogs of retail agree: a Gears of War 2: Game of the Year Edition will soon emerge. The package will allegedly bundle the full game with the $20 All Fronts retail compilation which includes the Flashback, Combustible, Dark Corners and Snowblind map packs along with the deleted "Road to Ruins" campaign chapter.

GameStop currently has the product listed at $40 while Amazon has it for $37; what they both agree on is that the GOTY edition has a September 1, 2009 release date."

I never bought the "Road to Ruins" campaign chapter because it should have already been in the game. I love it how Epic decided to remove the chapter from the campaign, release the game then decided that it was OK to release it as DLC and make you pay for it. I refuse to pay for something which was supposed to be in the game.

Skler

Smash Master
I don't buy maps anyways. Gears 2 is just too bad of a (multiplayer) game unless you have a bunch of friends on, which makes it bearable.

Random matchmaking is failure because you will always have teammates that have no idea what to do. It's just frustrating, whenever I try to play without any friends on I end up shutting off the box because all of my teammates are camping spawn/going to mortar or something else nobody should ever do. They should have some sort of option to let players who don't suck play with other players who don't suck in a random matchmaking way. Something like "competitive" where it's always execution and the mortar kids need not apply.

My Cat Owns

Smash Apprentice
I was really hyped for this game right before release. I actually bought Limited Edition AND got myself a golden hammerburst (thats lancer and hammerburst). I got in the game and didn't like the lighting off the bat. It was really colorful and not dark and gritty like GoW1.

Then the online play. Oh god it was bad. Every game lagged (and first month or so matchmakin was slow). Chainsaws/smokegrenades/3shotboomshots/ and mortar/mulchers all meant instant death, whether your attackers aim is mediocre or really bad.

Even after TU8 or 9 whatever they are on now, they have fixed a lot of those gameplay issues, but Gears of War 2 is NOT Gears of War. Tbh, I played gears 1 as a sniper. I always practiced pop shots and no scopes, even if I never really got them down. Gears 2 has a lot slower pace and its 5v5. Plus the sniper is switched out every other round. On top of this you can only have 5 rounds to a match (If you are playing warzone, but you can't even guarantee that; a lot of people pick execution over it).

The game is still crap even if you have a good connection (Wow, take in the rare moment) and gears 1 is just a better game imo.

tl;dr: Gears 2 isn't EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE ORIGINAL, Bawwwww

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I actually played some Gears of War 1 online today with my friend. We got kicked from several games because we were just too good. (i.e. I chainsawed everyone)

A weird thing about Gears of War 1 is how everyone is obsessed with switching every weapon for the darn sniper rifle. If you only play to play a "snipers only game" just make the game private and invite people! It's not my fault if you're all trying to snipe each other and then I join and chainsaw you in your face and then you kick me to compensate for something!

Also, it gives me a warm feeling when you try to kill the host when he has the shotgun. The host advantage in Gears 1 was soooooo cheap.

Does anyone know if it still takes 30 minutes to find a multiplayer game in Gears 2? :p

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
Does anyone know if it still takes 30 minutes to find a multiplayer game in Gears 2? :p
It can still sometimes take a while. Depends on your connection speed. I can sometimes run through all of ten minutes to find one person, and then barely pass thirty seconds to find a whole group.

Not sure about this host advantage, though. I don't use the shotgun too much, though, despite how broken it is (two words: two-piecing. ARGH!!).

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I guess I'm one of the few who still play Gears 2, and I'm **** good at it too. (1.8 K/D ratio atm)

Anyone who's good at Gears or moderately good at Gears 2 should play w/ me sometime. The game has its faults, but it's a LOT better than it was when it first come out.

Skler

Smash Master
It's impossible to be really good at gears 2 matchmaking. All you need to be able to do is use the hammer burst well. I stopped taking the shotgun out unless I'm going around a corner because the hammer burst is just that much better. As long as you aren't within 1 shot range (and 1 shots are so **** rare in gears 2 you're never there) you can down somebody with the hammer burst before they can shoot twice with the shotty. If they wall bounce you can still hit them three times and melee.

Teams can be good at the game, but that's just callouts and strategy, not actual player skill. Gears 1 had shotguns that were a threat and a non-broken ranged weapon (and a very broken ranged weapon, yayyyyy sniper). Gears 2 has a broken ranged weapon that got banned by MLG and shotguns that make you wonder why the characters even carry them around. Playing with lancers would be fun, but nobody in matchmaking uses them so you get horribly ***** if you try it against a competent team using hammer bursts. Me and Thorn will be making a GB team again and will dominate because that's sort of what we do.

Edit: Tl;dr version is the hammer burst is so broken it's the only weapon that matters when allowed. Gears 2 takes very little player skill when that gun is allowed, and still not as much as gears 1 when it is banned.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Finally took the time to find this and read it.

Gears 2 has gameplay that makes me shudder when I think about the trash weapons and hammerbursts...

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
It's impossible to be really good at gears 2 matchmaking. All you need to be able to do is use the hammer burst well. I stopped taking the shotgun out unless I'm going around a corner because the hammer burst is just that much better. As long as you aren't within 1 shot range (and 1 shots are so **** rare in gears 2 you're never there) you can down somebody with the hammer burst before they can shoot twice with the shotty. If they wall bounce you can still hit them three times and melee.

Teams can be good at the game, but that's just callouts and strategy, not actual player skill. Gears 1 had shotguns that were a threat and a non-broken ranged weapon (and a very broken ranged weapon, yayyyyy sniper). Gears 2 has a broken ranged weapon that got banned by MLG and shotguns that make you wonder why the characters even carry them around. Playing with lancers would be fun, but nobody in matchmaking uses them so you get horribly ***** if you try it against a competent team using hammer bursts. Me and Thorn will be making a GB team again and will dominate because that's sort of what we do.

Edit: Tl;dr version is the hammer burst is so broken it's the only weapon that matters when allowed. Gears 2 takes very little player skill when that gun is allowed, and still not as much as gears 1 when it is banned.
I agree with most that you said, but despite the flaws that the game has, you can still be very good at it. If people are gonna try to rush you with a shotgun, then why not punish them w/ a hb? Nothing nooby about that at all. Only problem is that it encourages camping.

Personally I use the shotgun more simply b/c it's just more fun to use vs camping w/ a hb. But like I said earlier, I'm willing to play a game or two b/c I'm a pretty consistent player, hammerburst aside. I recently broke my Gears 2 disk, so I have to wait a couple of days to buy another one back. Add my gamertag below if you want to play me at all, but if you dont, then that's your choice.

Skler

Smash Master
The game is camping when the hammerburst is allowed. It had to be switched to lancers even though the game was designed to be at least moderately competitive.

I'm sure on LAN people can be much more consistent in winning shotgun fights, but I doubt there will be the gap there was in gears 1. It's sort of like a Melee -> Brawl thing. M2K vs good player in Melee is slaughter, but M2K vs good player in Brawl is close(er). In gears 2 as long as you know to point the gun at the enemy you just might win a shotty fight, at least online. In gears 1 if you didn't strafe/wall bounce you were killed by players who did. Online or not good players beat bad players consistently in gears 1, the gap is lessened in gears 2. You hardly even need to know about negative/positive side anymore because of how bad shooting the shotty is!

Funny enough I do still play the game, it just isn't as competitive as Gears 1.

D

Deleted member

The game is camping when the hammerburst is allowed. It had to be switched to lancers even though the game was designed to be at least moderately competitive.

I'm sure on LAN people can be much more consistent in winning shotgun fights, but I doubt there will be the gap there was in gears 1. It's sort of like a Melee -> Brawl thing. M2K vs good player in Melee is slaughter, but M2K vs good player in Brawl is close(er). In gears 2 as long as you know to point the gun at the enemy you just might win a shotty fight, at least online. In gears 1 if you didn't strafe/wall bounce you were killed by players who did. Online or not good players beat bad players consistently in gears 1, the gap is lessened in gears 2. You hardly even need to know about negative/positive side anymore because of how bad shooting the shotty is!

Funny enough I do still play the game, it just isn't as competitive as Gears 1.
...................teach me.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
GoW series are the best ****ing games ever. I even have a poster of the game in my room and I have a replica action figure of Marcus and I wanted a locust and Dominic one but theye expensive as ****. btw the figure isnt one of those you play with its one of those just for decor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom