• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ganon's Cauldron of Questions (Ganon Q/A Thread)

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Pikachu has gotta be one of our toughest MU's.

We shield a shock, we get grabbed. We hop over, we eat a string of aerials. We get Uthrow'd, we get hit by thunder.

Ugh, Pikachu. -_-
I disagree. It's a matter of gaining the upper hand. From a grab, you get so many combos. Jab and ftilt are good spacing moves against Pika, and Dash attack hits under his duck.

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
I disagree. It's a matter of gaining the upper hand. From a grab, you get so many combos. Jab and ftilt are good spacing moves against Pika, and Dash attack hits under his duck.
Jab seems to miss 90% of the time.
But yeah, ftilt works wonders, as does dtilt to stop shocks at a relatively safe distance.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I really dislike playing against Pikachu personally. If he plays right, he's nearly impossible to edgeguard, and can't really be juggled outside of low percent followups. Not to mention because he's so short, it's really hard to hit him with any aerials in general.

I think my personal hardest matchup currently is Duck Hunt. The only missed tech choke combo you have on him is Jab, and he can cover his landing safely with the Clay Pigeon if you are not directly underneath him. Plus I honestly don't know what the best way to deal with the Can is. The times I have won this matchup are ones where I manage to either establish a techchase rhythm on him or edgeguard him to death.

After that matchup, Luigi, Pikachu, and Rosalina players I feel have been generally been the most difficult for me to deal with. They camp, it's a headache to avoid getting grabbed in those matchups, and they can all punish Ganondorf very hard when it matters.

I also find Sheik extremely difficult by design, but I feel like practically nobody that plays her on For Glory really knows what they're doing with her and I clutch out wins with Ganon's superior KO options. Not too many people play Robin, but I find him really difficult if he land traps correctly. Mega Man, Greninja, Villager, Sonic, and Lucario are very tedious, but doable as long as you know the right situations to avoid putting yourself in.

Everyone else I didn't mention here I currently feel Ganondorf likely has an approximately neutral matchup with on default settings. In my limited observation, most things seem winnable for Ganon as long as you avoid getting gimped too early.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Once DHD has used up his DJ off stage, he's a sitting duck for Ganon to pluck. (Embarrass)

There's just no way he'll reach the stage or ledge unharmed Vs Ganon.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
This might be weird asking for advice against your own characters, but how do I tech your Flame Chokes? It might be For Glory lag and me using the Wii U Gamepad (only since I don't have a better controller to use), but whenever I fight most of you guys online I can never seem to tech roll away from the guys who do SideB > Dtilt (or sometimes Jab) and sometimes I can never win games against them when it happens, and get flat out killed by the dtilt if I'm at a high percent. When during the animation am I supposed to tech? Is the timing on it very strict?

EDIT: Also, is Ganondorf's Up Tilt really that bad?

Once DHD has used up his DJ off stage, he's a sitting duck for Ganon to pluck. (Embarrass)

There's just no way he'll reach the stage or ledge unharmed Vs Ganon.
I don't play Ganon, but I'm not too sure about that. DHD's recovery is indeed mediocre, but he does have situational ways that somewhat mitigate it, and I'm not so sure if your character can cover them all so easily since I don't know Ganon all that well.

1. If the stage is on a walled omega, he can safely wall jump, and sometimes he won't even need to use his upb since he'll already have snapped the ledge.

2. If custom moves are allowed, one of his customs called the Super Duck Jump gives a windbox around his body before ascending up to protect himself. On a situational use, he might even be able to use its windbox to gimp your recovery as a gimmicky tactic, somewhat similarly to Greninja's Hydro Pump. Not reliable for him, but doable.

3. He can still throw a can and/or gunman projectiles while DJing before restoring to his UpB and keep shooing can above himself, essentially giving his recovery a hitbox.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You might not be able to tech Flame Choke if you were caught buffering shield earlier. Keep that in mind. I don't think the tech timing window is that strict, but you HAVE to techroll to avoid the combo followups, though it's worth keeping in mind that they're still punishable if read.

Ganon's U-tilt is mostly pointless, except it's a nice option for pressuring ledge stalling when timed carefully.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
You might not be able to tech Flame Choke if you were caught buffering shield earlier. Keep that in mind. I don't think the tech timing window is that strict, but you HAVE to techroll to avoid the combo followups, though it's worth keeping in mind that they're still punishable if read.

Ganon's U-tilt is mostly pointless, except it's a nice option for pressuring ledge stalling when timed carefully.
I think that's what it should be entirely used for... other than punishing broken shields.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Well, since I recently was told Gerudo is actually useful in this game...any idea where I could find a followup chart? If anyone could point me to a thread or something, that'd be marvelous.

TonyTheTiger

It's GREAT!
So I've been playing as, and against, a few Ganons on Wii U lately. It's got me thinking, is it really true that Ganon is always supposed to win during a Ganoncide? I've seen many people say that on here, and on other sites, but I've had numerous occasions where I, or my opponent will Ganoncide on their last stock, only to lose the match on the results screen.
Can someone explain this?

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
So I've been playing as, and against, a few Ganons on Wii U lately. It's got me thinking, is it really true that Ganon is always supposed to win during a Ganoncide? I've seen many people say that on here, and on other sites, but I've had numerous occasions where I, or my opponent will Ganoncide on their last stock, only to lose the match on the results screen.
Can someone explain this?
Ganoncide always favors Ganondorf.

TonyTheTiger

It's GREAT!
@ adom4 adom4 Can you explain in a little more depth? As far as I've seen, Ganon does not always win when he successfully Ganoncides. I've taken a replay and can record it later if that proves necessary.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
@ adom4 adom4 Can you explain in a little more depth? As far as I've seen, Ganon does not always win when he successfully Ganoncides. I've taken a replay and can record it later if that proves necessary.
I'm positive he always wins, in Brawl it was kinda random.
try it on anybody & you'll see that Ganondorf dies second.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I'm positive he always wins, in Brawl it was kinda random.
try it on anybody & you'll see that Ganondorf dies second.
In Brawl, Controller Ports decided if Ganon won or not, I believe.
And yeah, I've never lost when Ganonciding in smash 4.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
In Brawl, Controller Ports decided if Ganon won or not, I believe.
And yeah, I've never lost when Ganonciding in smash 4.
I lost once when i Ganoncided into the barrel in kongo jungle 64...
Needless to say i was salty as ****.

Scraptor

Smash Cadet
NNID
ScraptorBC
I am struggling with returning to the stage from above. I got a lot of kills with a well timed Air WK but I know I am over using it and I am Gerudoing in the air as a way to throw them off but I know that is like super punishable. What are some good things to do to get the short lag possible or to punish an oppenent on the way down?

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I am struggling with returning to the stage from above. I got a lot of kills with a well timed Air WK but I know I am over using it and I am Gerudoing in the air as a way to throw them off but I know that is like super punishable. What are some good things to do to get the short lag possible or to punish an oppenent on the way down?
Make your opponent learn to respect Fair. And you will suddenly always be able to land on the ground because your opponent will respect that punch and not want to get hit by it.

Fast Fall Bair can also surprise some people.

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
Make your opponent learn to respect Fair. And you will suddenly always be able to land on the ground because your opponent will respect that punch and not want to get hit by it.

Fast Fall Bair can also surprise some people.
Agreed.

Warlock Punch that I have no intention of connecting with will sometimes scare my opponent to overthinking and doing something stupid like panicking and trying to hit me forgetting or not realizing I have super armor, or if I'm edge guarding they shield or press the wrong button because I caught them off guard and die.

Last edited:

Scraptor

Smash Cadet
NNID
ScraptorBC
Thanks Magius that the fairs have helped and I am working on the Bairs.

Wario yeah I will have to work on that because the only time I do a WP in air is when I dont mean to do it and SD lol

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
How do you guys deal with Samus Zair?
Try to powershield it unless you're about max distance where it hits twice. Otherwise just shield it and be patient, and try to catch onto what Samus does AFTER she Z-airs, and mind your spacing and what moves you are in range of. Remember that Samus needs to commit a fair bit to make her Z-air safe on block, so just focus on getting closer when it's safe and then seeing what punish options you have later.

Sometimes if Samus likes hitting buttons and doesn't have Charge Shot ready, you can just rush her with DA. Other times if she goes for grab, you can try rolling inwards or SH N-air. Jab is usually a decent option when you get in range for it to stuff her pokes.

Last edited:

Hi-Hatz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vrillyhoo
Is there a whiff spot too close to the aerial Down-B shock-wave? I landed right next to somebody once and didn't knock them out of an attack they were charging. ;(

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Thak you, I was certain it was fair lol.but without my glasses it is difficult to tell.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Thak you, I was certain it was fair lol.but without my glasses it is difficult to tell.
Well, on youtube you can go to options and play the vids in 0.25 speed, which I did.

Last edited:

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
I have trouble getting Ganondorf's Warlock Punch super armour window down. It never seems to be consistent with me whenever I try it (which it's often btw don't all lose your sh*t :p)

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I have trouble getting Ganondorf's Warlock Punch super armour window down. It never seems to be consistent with me whenever I try it (which it's often btw don't all lose your sh*t :p)
It only works for GROUNDED version, and you can't reverse it.

Same thing applies to Warlock Blade. Warlock Thrust does not have armor however so reversing that one is more important.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
You can find a link to frame data at the end of the ATS thread. I believe the super armour for the regular punch starts at frame 11 and ends at frame 54/74.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Is the super armor effected by how much damage Ganon has taken?
Also can you get super armor if you start it from a short hop but land on the ground before its finished?

Last edited:

Hi-Hatz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vrillyhoo
Is the super armor effected by how much damage Ganon has taken?
Also can you get super armor if you start it from a short hop but land on the ground before its finished?
Gonna say no and no.

Yeah I checked the % thing to be sure. No and no.

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Gonna say no and no.

Yeah I checked the % thing to be sure. No and no.
It would be kind of good if he got super armor even while reversing and/or punching though. It'd be a safe move if he was getting juggled.

Top Bottom