• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon's Beard - General. Social. Rankings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Every other (winter olympics) country has their fair share of snow. Does having more make you better?

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
I want to shoot someone.

I'm tired of being a bad Ganon user. I'm nearlly giving up on going to tourneys and stuff. I practice every day with all my will to win and still get 3 stocked by numbskulls that know what they are doing... I think I'm just not fit to the sport.

Argh! I hate meh. >(

...just self-trolling. Go on with W.Olympics.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
man, i am Disappoint.

Australia's not even up there. what a bunch of dropkicks.
lol, I agree. And I thought that as I looked. But then again, I don't care much for the Olympics. And Australia has like...no snow. Although they do have the largest portion of Antarctica, I'm sure they could practice there.

I think the coolest thing about Canada are the Mounty uniforms. Seriously. The Commonwealth has some of the coolest law-enforcement uniforms. The US sucks (in that area).

/random opinion

:034:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I want to shoot someone.

I'm tired of being a bad Ganon user. I'm nearlly giving up on going to tourneys and stuff. I practice every day with all my will to win and still get 3 stocked by numbskulls that know what they are doing... I think I'm just not fit to the sport.

Argh! I hate meh. >(

...just self-trolling. Go on with W.Olympics.
This tends to happen a lot. Ganon takes a huge amount of time & practice to learn. He's not like Wario whom you can just pick up and use. You gotta have the will to learn, and you gotta have the ability to cope with Ganon's glaring weaknesses. This means, get use to playing at a very slow phase, taking in huge amount of combos & damage during certain moments, and only taking advantage of your opponents when you KNOW you can.

There's only a few individuals I know who are capable of this.

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
Problem is that I have too many bad habbits that my opponents use to punish me. The worst is always doing ledge jump->DownB because I think it's good, but doing it 100% of the time is REALLY troublesome. Still, I can't get it off me.
That's why I'm always losing...

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Let go of the bad habits. As simple as that. It's not hard to simply stay focused, and stop bad habits.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
guys I picked up zelda. Am I betraying the King of Evil?

but I dropped mk for her, don't hate on me too much

and doesnt kalm sometimes use Link?

6.^;;

also

ew ratcliff (was that his name)

i need to rewatch that movie i totally forgot the plot, I just recall at the end they're on a blimp and then a big *** clock (Big Ben probly, it was all english n ****)

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
If you want to play Ganon, learn how to take a beating. Learn to eat many attacks all in the name of getting inside and laying the smackdown.

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
I could spend my whole night talking about bad habbits of myself that I can't get off... Going too far to finish enemys, missing and then being edgehogged; messing up on spacing thinking it'll hit and it don't by a small margin; UTilting 3 times/match or more; going back fromt he ledge with DownB or Edge Attack and don't trying other stuff; approaching with DAir; approaching; doing bad DI all the time; bad momentum cancelling with uair -> DownB; bad buffering after Gerudo and OoS; bad foreseeing skills to do tech-chase after Gerudo; urges to suicide at 130%+; failling at wall tech 97% of times... I can't even call it bad habbits anymore. It's compelte incompetence and lack of skills...

Maybe I'll try getting my mind off Ganon for some time and try new characters for some change and then go back to the Evil Lord when I feel confident enought...

Technodeath

Smash Champion
it all comes in time man.

i've spent the best part of my brawl hours on playing/training with Ganon, and close second is Falcon.

i'm not bad, but im not pro either. i can beat a decent amount of the West Aus smash scene with him anyway

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
I tested the Dair utilt thing many eons ago and found its uses nill so I didn't bring it up. It really isn't worth much
Although it's situational, it's useful against the edge, since it sends them downward, putting them(depending on the character and their recovery) in a bad situation. I'm going to continue to press ideas with Utilt, to see what I can come up with.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
Although it's situational, it's useful against the edge, since it sends them downward, putting them(depending on the character and their recovery) in a bad situation. I'm going to continue to press ideas with Utilt, to see what I can come up with.
If you want to find ways to make a useless move worth something, do it with Warlock Punch. At least Warlock Punch kills rediculously early for a move with that much start-up. I'll try it as an edgegaurd for characters with predictable recoveries just because edgeguarding with WP is just too epic to not try.

Ledgedrop into Warlock Punch is also sexy and may have its uses, but it's only worth it if you can time it perfectly every time, since it's instant death if you mess up.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I could spend my whole night talking about bad habbits of myself that I can't get off... Going too far to finish enemys, missing and then being edgehogged; messing up on spacing thinking it'll hit and it don't by a small margin; UTilting 3 times/match or more; going back fromt he ledge with DownB or Edge Attack and don't trying other stuff; approaching with DAir; approaching; doing bad DI all the time; bad momentum cancelling with uair -> DownB; bad buffering after Gerudo and OoS; bad foreseeing skills to do tech-chase after Gerudo; urges to suicide at 130%+; failling at wall tech 97% of times... I can't even call it bad habbits anymore. It's compelte incompetence and lack of skills...

Maybe I'll try getting my mind off Ganon for some time and try new characters for some change and then go back to the Evil Lord when I feel confident enought...
You're doing better than me. I was never ever a Ganon main.

I just picked up the character because I wanted to prove to Inui he wasn't the worst character in the game. =P

Which...was doomed to fail.

But anyhow yeah, picking up more characters is a good idea. Learning how other characters work is a worthwhile pursuit.

I will say however that most of my skill in this game does come from using Ganondorf. Using Ganondorf taught me how to mindgame, how to buffer, how to exploit basic physics, stuff like that.

I do think that I am skilled enough with this character that I could win tournament sets against people who aren't amazingly good. But as for maining this character, that is something I've never even considered.

Although I did actually use Ganon once in tournament. Better yet, it was a Ganon vs Falcon match (NOT low tiers btw). And I landed a U-tilt kill in that set. XD (but I still lost the set 2-1)

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
If you want to find ways to make a useless move worth something, do it with Warlock Punch. At least Warlock Punch kills rediculously early for a move with that much start-up. I'll try it as an edgegaurd for characters with predictable recoveries just because edgeguarding with WP is just too epic to not try.

Ledgedrop into Warlock Punch is also sexy and may have its uses, but it's only worth it if you can time it perfectly every time, since it's instant death if you mess up.
Warlocke Punch doesn't have the wind box, like Utilt, and Utilt has just as much killing power as Warlocke Punch if it's sweetspotted, which is the center of the vortex. Utilt has trapping abilities, while Warlocke Punch requires reading, or incredible mindgames to pull off and hit with. I'll stick to Utilt, you go with Warlocke Punch.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
U-tilt is like baaaaarely landable. I mean there is a small chance it might hit a good player if you position it just right due to the massive massive range. And it's virtually safe on block, and can kinda uh...be thrown out against edgecampers.

Warlock Punch is pretty much unlandable except in FFAs, teams (even then just barely), and on shieldbreaks.

Orrrrr...I guess Ledgejump Warlock Punch edgeguarding might scare someone, especially if they have a really predictable recovery. And I do love doing Super Jump Warlock Punches.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
U-tilt is like baaaaarely landable. I mean there is a small chance it might hit a good player if you position it just right due to the massive massive range. And it's virtually safe on block, and can kinda uh...be thrown out against edgecampers.

Warlock Punch is pretty much unlandable except in FFAs, teams (even then just barely), and on shieldbreaks.

Orrrrr...I guess Ledgejump Warlock Punch edgeguarding might scare someone, especially if they have a really predictable recovery. And I do love doing Super Jump Warlock Punches.
You're right, it is... but figuring ways to make it more likely to land is my intention, since humans tend to make mistakes, and pressure only furthers the chances of mistakes. Moves like Ganon's Utilt and WP have some opponent's starstruck for some reason, and then they snap back to reality, before the horrid start up ends, thus dodging the move. I know there's applications that make these moves more viable in actual matches.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496

Well, neither move is truly good, but Utilt is significantly easier to land IMO. I dunno, I've managed to land it in real matches (friendlies, but still...) before, whereas I think I've never landed WP outside of Wifi and FFAs.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Guys...

I'm beginning to think that Ganon isn't nearly the worst character in the game.

This may sound like a generic argument in Ganon's favor, but just listen. The more I fight top players in my region/nation, the more I realize how much Ganon's obscene killing power helps him. It really is absolutely ridiculous how early Ganon can kill and how easily he can rack up damage if he predicts his opponent well. Of course his recovery is balls and he can't really approach or camp. But his offensive capabilities make up for it, MUCH more than most of you give him credit for.

Of course, you can go into theorycrafting mode and assume that everyone plays perfectly every match, but that's simply not true. If I'm fighting someone in brackets for the first time (especially if they lack Ganon experience), I've found it REALLY easy to predict my opponents, get inside, and just ****. No matter how good they are. I don't really think the Ganon boards fully realize: stomp can kill at 80%. Dash attack can kill at 90%. Fsmash can kill at like, 60%.

And here's the best part: after flame choke, Ganon can TECH CHASE into any of these. And it will HIT them and KILL them.

WTF.

It's all about the prediction, folks. THAT is the key to winning with Ganon. I'm convinced that Ganon is only at the bottom spot because the metagame is so underdeveloped for low tier characters.

Could you imagine someone like M2K playing Ganon? Every time he makes an accurate prediction/tech chase, his opponent would get like 50 damage. Either that or die. It's obscene if you think about it.

If the same amount of players that used MK also used Ganon, his killing potential would carry him over at least 2 or 3 tiers. His recovery would obviously hold him back, as would his lack of options to deal with camping. But his killing power gives him so much potential, when considering how much it helps to accurately predict your opponent.

This is why I've never personally felt that my character is bottom tier, no matter how good my opponent is (except maybe Lain lol - his icies make me feel like ****).

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Move out of Illinois and then see if it's still easy to read the better players, lol. Having a character that depends 100% on how good the player behind it is... is a bad character.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Lol heyyy IL is legit as hell. I travel all over the midwest too.

The thing with Ganon is... yes, he DEPENDS on the player's skill. But his viability improves exponentially with the player's skill, more so than most characters in the game.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Move out of Illinois and then see if it's still easy to read the better players, lol. Having a character that depends 100% on how good the player behind it is... is a bad character.
Dependant on player skill = High Learning Curve =/= Placement on Tier List

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
DLA, seems to me you're just realising Ganon's potential relies in his kill power. The problem with that is, every character above Ganon on the current tier list can also gain potential, but in their own ways.

The truth is, Ganon is not a defensive character. Good Ganon players are the ones that make it seem that way. If other characters are played similar to how a good Ganon player would play Ganon, then I guarantee you they'll be everything good Ganon players are and more. Other characters don't need to be played as such, because, simply, they're 'viable' enough without having to do so.

You're obviously going to beat inexperienced players with Ganon because they're a lot more subjective to mistakes.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
DLA, seems to me you're just realising Ganon's potential relies in his kill power. The problem with that is, every character above Ganon on the tier list currently can also gain potential. In their own ways.

The truth is, Ganon is not a defensive character. Good Ganon players are the ones that make it seem that way. If other characters are played similar to how a good Ganon player would play Ganon, then I guarantee you they'll be everything good Ganon players are and more. Other characters don't need to be played like a good Ganon, because, simply, they're 'viable' enough without having to do so.

You're obviously going to beat inexperienced players with Ganon because they're a lot more subjective to mistakes.
That's what I thought for the longest time as well. But I've realized that since the start of brawl, there has been a misconception that Ganon's bad recovery and approach options cripple his game much more than can be repaired by his killing potential. However, I realize more and more now that this misconception is simply wrong.

I've been trying to think of a comparison, and I think I've come up with one. Most microscopes have two knobs to adjust the magnification... coarse (drastic adjustment) and fine (small adjustment). Most characters still have small adjustments that can still be made to their metagame; simple things like grab release combos and such, which are situational and have a very fine effect on their metagame.

However, the adjustments that can be made to Ganon's metagame are equivalent to cranking the coarse adjustment; his tools are so powerful that it any improvements to his metagame drastically alter his viability.

It's not a perfect comparison, but I think it gets the general point across.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Dependant on player skill = High Learning Curve =/= Placement on Tier List
A character depending on how good a player is has nothing to do with learning curve. Ganon is an easy character to play because of how limited his options are and how few technical things he has.

@HomE

Smash Ace
A character depending on how good a player is has nothing to do with learning curve. Ganon is an easy character to play because of how limited his options are and how few technical things he has.
I disagree, i think having the "feel" for Ganon is more important then knowing how to TS or FOG... and getting the "feel" isn't really something you can practice, it comes with time...

If you blink Ganon will **** you.. hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom