• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganonic Grimoire (Social) - Commiseration and Hierarchy

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
thread should just end there
fine then, 180 degree rotation in the x and y axis
Unless you consider x and y to be right/left and forward/backward, respectively, which would make z up/down. That's how I think of the x/y plane when you consider 3D, anyway (how I was taught).

OOOOOR we could consider the x/y real plane, and also have the imaginary plane as opposed to the z-axis for the third dimension. In such a case I'd consider x/y to be right/left and up/down, with the imaginary axis going forward/backward (I don't know if that's how it's taught though, since I haven't had a class that covers imaginary numbers in depth yet. At this point it's all self-taught).

Heartstring

Smash Legend
if were going flast along the computer screen, x is across, y is up/down and z is forward back

how i was taught, oh curriculum, why do you differ so?

also, youre not allowed to bring argand diagrams into play here

Heartstring

Smash Legend
where are u from? o.o
what s stupid question
hes from ganonsburg

but yeah, you can really keep the **** away from argand diagrams. imaginary numbers are silly are people very rarely understand it

go on if you love math so much and youve asked about imaginary numbers:

given that i=root/-1. what is root/-49?

if you do not get the answer right by the time i check this thread in the morning, ill write it out on a peice of paper, take a picture and post it ^^

Heartstring

Smash Legend
wouldnt it be 7i? im bad at math tho. lol
oh yeah another thing im gonna ask
people should try to prove why they think that answer. as if you think anything like me, youll prove it in the wrong fashion

(i do know the correct answer, its just a question which has caught me out before)
you get 2 marks, one for correct answer and one for correct method. gogogo!

stingers

Smash Obsessed
my method is, I see

sqrt(-

I stop there

look at the rest of the problem

49)

find sqrt(49)

then put an i after the answer

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
I'm on the east coast of the US. My textbook was Stewart's Calculus 6E.

As for the sqrt(-49) it would be the above^^
sqrt(-49) = sqrt(-1 * 49) = sqrt(-1)*sqrt(49) = i * 7 = 7i
Actually, it'd be (+ or -)7i.

Yesterday I started looking around for a geometric interpretation of i, since I hadn't seen one/heard of one yet. Fortunately, I found one fairly quickly, and it made me super happy, haha.

Basically, I'm interested in the area of pure mathematics. I'm probably going to end up doing applied math though, since pure math isn't needed anywhere aside from research and the NSA (which is stupidly hard to get into). Pure math is just so fascinating, haha.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I'm the same way, Burg. Even though I'm still a novice in the pure math fields, my love of philosophy carries over into math. Right now I'm into set theory, specifically.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Be glad, ganons, and have hope.
Me and my brother are working on a way to make nolimar tournament ready.
He has 8 moves, including get-up and ledge-attack.
Meaning, if we can make him juuust good eneough for tourneys, he'll probably be worse than ganon, and take you spot as the WORST.

:phone:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Be glad, ganons, and have hope.
Me and my brother are working on a way to make nolimar tournament ready.
He has 8 moves, including get-up and ledge-attack.
Meaning, if we can make him juuust good eneough for tourneys, he'll probably be worse than ganon, and take you spot as the WORST.

I have but one question:

WWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
LOOOOL

I hit edit again and ended up mutilating your post. Sorry, Mink. :(

Anyway, you're into music theory then, Mink? I'm always open for a quiz. :ganondorf:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
good morning ganons
now im back i see two answers to my question
Stingers receives 1 mark
ganonsburg receives two
Heres the thing i wrote up:

Interesting, it appears engaging in maths outside of class is a ton more interesting than in college
too bad i quit college, looks like ill just do what the other ganons do and become a self taught scholar XD

Exalted

Smash Lord
I'm one of those who doesn't like math at all yet is one of the best at it...only time I find math exciting or fun is when I learn new stuff, something I can't say the textbooks at school have.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Oh, you kids and your numbers.

I'm one of the more rational folk that appreciates the subtle nuances of the English language, and strive to use it more elegantly and effectively than you.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
LOOOOL

I hit edit again and ended up mutilating your post. Sorry, Mink. :(

Anyway, you're into music theory then, Mink? I'm always open for a quiz. :ganondorf:
I'm actually teaching myself theory currently.
I took one or two thus far in university.
But i'm actually going into the production side of it, due to the unlikely hood of finding a job on the performance side with guitar XD

I play and teach. :)

and i defintely don't do math.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
So basically, you're either the sweetest guy ever, Satan reincarnate, or a horny indian ****? (Or a follower of Cthullu?)

That's a wide range of options there...

As for me... http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=David

Awwwww yeah! Definitely me. :awesome:

I'm actually teaching myself theory currently.
I took one or two thus far in university.
But i'm actually going into the production side of it, due to the unlikely hood of finding a job on the performance side with guitar XD

I play and teach. :)
Cool. I do the same with Bass actually, though I don't plan on making a living of it. I just love playing/learning about music.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
I play acoustic guitar.
So much more fun than electric:3
but I'm missing a string, and too lazy to go buy a pack.
And the song I'm trying to learn calls for an F and a D.
Both require 3rd string, which is the popped one.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Dude, go get yourself a new string. Playing an instrument missing a string is horrible. It'd be like chopping off a finger to me.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
If I weren't a mathematician, I'd probably be an engineer (or a physicist). Lego dominated my childhood. I'm majoring in math because of my love of pure, sweet logic (which is also my hate of the liberal arts; most notably gender woman studies, psychology, and sociology), and majoring in computer science because of my love of creating (and also logic...since comp sci is just applied math).

Although sometimes I wish I was majoring in computer engineering so I could do things like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX09WnGU6ZY

Heartstring

Smash Legend
If I weren't a mathematician, I'd probably be an engineer (or a physicist). Lego dominated my childhood. I'm majoring in math because of my love of pure, sweet logic (which is also my hate of the liberal arts; most notably gender woman studies, psychology, and sociology), and majoring in computer science because of my love of creating (and also logic...since comp sci is just applied math).

Although sometimes I wish I was majoring in computer engineering so I could do things like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX09WnGU6ZY
heh, i wish i knew what i wanted to do in life like you
my only obvious talent is my uncanny ability to get every job i go for (really, 100% success rate and ive applied for about a dozen jobs, even in this recession) so im going to jsut rip through every job i can get my hands on untill i find one i like XD
although i might just get my hands on a mcdonadls job for a while, because i know the ponies are coming to happy meals again fairly soon

also: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thomas
AWWW YEEEE
actualyl ill be honest, i never knew 7/8 inches was large. thought it were average lul, apparently ive watched too much prons in my time

Top Bottom