• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganonic Grimoire (Social) - Commiseration and Hierarchy

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I'd much rather understand the mathematician's reasoning for putting "1 + 3 + 2" in that exact order rather than understanding why it's equal to six. The commutative property of addition says that "1 + 3 + 2" is the same as "1 + 2 + 3", but why did the writer decide to not go with the traditional numerical order?

I could just be pretentious, but this rather pointless and unanswerable question still interests me.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
The point of the property is so that you can apply it when you get to more difficult things that don't have any order, but can be grouped in a different way such as you can simplify it or so that you can see a way to simplify it.

eg, you might be sitting down trying to simplify 1 + x^2 - 2x, and because you've only seen things in the form x^2 - 2x + 1, you wouldn't see that you can simplify it to (x + 1)^2 were it not for that property. In fact, Euler's Identity used the commutative property of addition to mix and match the Taylor series for cos(x) and i*sin(x).

That's essentially true of any property. When you first learn it you think, "Well, duh!" But unless you really commit it to memory you probably won't see the various connections between something new and something old.

@Golden: To be honest, I didn't know what I wanted to do for the longest time. Up until 2 years ago I had no clue, and was going to major in music simply because marching band was my life at that point (even though I've always been good at math). Then, while taking a stats course, I realized that I wanted to find a job that used math a lot. Then, this past year I took a computer science course (as required by my school for math majors) and realized I loved the problem solving and the logic, and also the opportunities to build some really cool things (including math-related programs that can do various things).

For me it was taking courses and realizing that I seriously enjoyed whatever topic we were studying. But if you can land whatever job you want, as you say, that's great too (and also a bit better long-term, I'd say).

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I play acoustic guitar.
So much more fun than electric:3
but I'm missing a string, and too lazy to go buy a pack.
And the song I'm trying to learn calls for an F and a D.
Both require 3rd string, which is the popped one.

:phone:
Acoustic is most definitely not more fun! 12 fewer viable fets--NO MELODIC POTENTIAL!

If I weren't a mathematician, I'd probably be an engineer (or a physicist). Lego dominated my childhood. I'm majoring in math because of my love of pure, sweet logic (which is also my hate of the liberal arts; most notably gender woman studies, psychology, and sociology), and majoring in computer science because of my love of creating (and also logic...since comp sci is just applied math).

Although sometimes I wish I was majoring in computer engineering so I could do things like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX09WnGU6ZY
I'm in love with logic above all others, and primarily set theory in conjunction, because they make amazing complements to language and linguistics. So propositional logic is what I really love. There're so many kinds of logic though and they're all so fascinating.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I play acoustic guitar.
So much more fun than electric:3
but I'm missing a string, and too lazy to go buy a pack.
And the song I'm trying to learn calls for an F and a D.
Both require 3rd string, which is the popped one.

I'm actually teaching myself theory currently.
I took one or two thus far in university.
But i'm actually going into the production side of it, due to the unlikely hood of finding a job on the performance side with guitar XD

I play and teach. :)

and i defintely don't do math.
Well, if you ever have a question regarding theory, I'm hyped to help. :colorful:

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Well, if you ever have a question regarding theory, I'm hyped to help. :colorful:
Sounds good man.

I requested you on FB a few weeks back. I think i got ignored :\

Either way, i play alot of metal. :ganondorf:

What do you know of theory?
Maybe if i go to APEX i'll bring a guitar and we can jam.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
yknow, this last page has been one big ganonic bonding session, everyones taking an interest in each other...soon, we wil able to take over the world with our endless amount of logic
reckon would should set up a ganonic political party? theres actually a high concentration of logic flowing through these threads XD

@burg: well its good to see youve found what youre after, i know eventually ill find mine so ill just rip through jobs
i will admit, being a boxer has always been appealing, my ability to get hit hard and not take damage would be extremely useful in heavyweight boxing

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
^ I lol'd.
I just skipped all the math posts.
I failed pre-algebra with like... I don't remember, less than 50 for sure.
I can hardly divide if I take an hour.
I cannot compute math.

Lol verm.
I like acoustic more! I love playing some nice, laid back songs.
Fun!

Heartstring

Smash Legend
lol, math was my only real subject, sadly its boring as **** when done in lessons

also i reckon we should all meet up at apex. im certainly planning on going!

Heartstring

Smash Legend
indeed Apex should be something most of us should attend

if anything i'll make a sign or something just to carry around for all the ganon mains there
excellent!
of course flights are damn expensive, looks like ill need to get a proper job

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Sounds good man.

I requested you on FB a few weeks back. I think i got ignored :\

Either way, i play alot of metal. :ganondorf:

What do you know of theory?
Maybe if i go to APEX i'll bring a guitar and we can jam.
Yeah, I didn't accept it 'cause I didn't know who it was. Added you now though.

As for theory, I've tried to cover the whole spectrum. I know classical theory (voice leading, consonance, counterpoint, etc.), jazz theory (dissonance, chromaticism, blues, etc.) and I'm learning Bebop theory at the moment. It's exactly like jazz except it has its own set scales rather than using ones like Dorian or modes out of melodic minor. MT can be some of the most confusing **** on the planet, but with enough time, even if it seems like it's not making sense, it hits you like a ton of bricks.

And yeah, if I have to miss Genesis, I'll ****ing kill someone before I miss Apex. I'll definitely bring my guitar and metal will be had. :ganondorf:

Exalted

Smash Lord
I actually have enough cash to get to America and back if I really put effort into it...sadly though, I'm still not allowed to go anywhere without my parent's consent, lolol.

Oh the melancholy of a young murderer is a great one!

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I actually have enough cash to get to America and back if I really put effort into it...sadly though, I'm still not allowed to go anywhere without my parent's consent, lolol.

Oh the melancholy of a young murderer is a great one!
maybe i can haz a skype conversation with them, that way theyd know someone else going with them!
i dunno, if you wanted to go badly we could always give that a try ^.^

Exalted

Smash Lord
maybe i can haz a skype conversation with them, that way theyd know someone else going with them!
i dunno, if you wanted to go badly we could always give that a try ^.^
The problem's actually that they don't really trust people I've befriended over the internet.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
If they speak English, I'm old enough that I think I could provide reasonable credence for Smash tourneys and their safety.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Chinese? German? :colorful:

我想请你儿子来美

Wo xiang qing ni de erzi lai meiguo!

Ich möchte dein Sohn nach Amerika einladen, für einen Smash Turnier!

Exalted

Smash Lord
That is one nice repertoire of languages, but unless you'd learn Swedish or Serbocratic we're as screwed as Ganon is in Brawl.

Edit: :ganondorf:

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Maybe if you slip 'em a couple bills, they'll forget about this silly "America trip" thing. :ganondorf:

Also, speaking of languages, you'd all be amazed how easy Chinese is to learn. It's just extremely time-consuming. It's staggering how quickly your mind begins to recognize Chinese han after a decent exposure to them. They're as separate to me now as Roman letters, though my vocabulary is still extremely limited.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Yeah, I didn't accept it 'cause I didn't know who it was. Added you now though.

As for theory, I've tried to cover the whole spectrum. I know classical theory (voice leading, consonance, counterpoint, etc.), jazz theory (dissonance, chromaticism, blues, etc.) and I'm learning Bebop theory at the moment. It's exactly like jazz except it has its own set scales rather than using ones like Dorian or modes out of melodic minor. MT can be some of the most confusing **** on the planet, but with enough time, even if it seems like it's not making sense, it hits you like a ton of bricks.

And yeah, if I have to miss Genesis, I'll ****ing kill someone before I miss Apex. I'll definitely bring my guitar and metal will be had.
This was an awesome post.
Hopefully i get this job, then i will be going to APEX.
I've been working with alot of blues lately.
It's confusing and annoying. I self taugfht myself, and i didn'r start with anything like this, and now i'm payin' for it.

If they speak English, I'm old enough that I think I could provide reasonable credence for Smash tourneys and their safety.
Legit.

^ but you look like a hoodlum....

In Big-Kid land, looking like a hoodlum is okay.
If you're >20 years old and are vouching to help someones safety, 99% of the time it works. Unless you like, do heroine infront of them.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Trust me, man, I was the same way. I struggled my *** off to learn MT--off the internet nonetheless. For months I'd spend hours lying face down on my bed, frustrated as hell, trying to understand a concept. Hell, I'd even spend hours writing my own charts. That's primarily the reason I love helping people with MT, 'cause it IS annoying and it IS confusing as hell. Seriously, if you ever have a question, I'll do my best to answer.

Holy ****, I edited your post again, Mink. UIBVW(UVB)WIVBPKWNKN GGODONIOV BEOPK NVPKN{L:W

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
No, it was my fault lol. I accidentally edited your post while trying to reply. I always hit edit instead of quote. I have the original post saved though, I just need to format it and I'll repair it.

Edit: K, it's back up. I really wish they'd put the edit button last. I always butcher people's posts by thinking I hit quote then submitting.

Double Edit: When it comes to blues, there are a bunch of liberties you can take which makes it hard to get it down to a science. Every musician's nightmare is a chromatic note, and the blues has 'em just as much, if not more than jazz.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Also, speaking of languages, you'd all be amazed how easy Chinese is to learn. It's just extremely time-consuming. It's staggering how quickly your mind begins to recognize Chinese han after a decent exposure to them. They're as separate to me now as Roman letters, though my vocabulary is still extremely limited.
QFT.

Also I'll be at Apex. I expect to see you all there.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
id better buy my apex tickets ^^
does anyone know how housing goes? as ill have to get there a day before or a day after

Heartstring

Smash Legend
thats the plan, cheapest tickets there too
ill have to leave a day after the tourney though, id best ask about housing XD
anyone here live around the venue?

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I think Bloody's probably the closest of us to the Apex venue. I'd house you, but at that given point in time, I'd be living 3,000 miles away lol.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
I think my fam might be generally be close to the venue, or i'll be housing w/ gallax if i go.

But that's hypotheticals.

Still working on step one: Job.

Also, yeah. Blues is everywhere in terms of playstyle. I need to learn that. I always end up just going for sweeps and shredding when i play. I would like to be able to slow it down.

Bloodynite

Smash Ace
me housing any of you is out of the question

unless you guys can handle a 110 pound German Shepard whose been under house arrest twice for almost biting a vet's face off and attacking a burglar

Noobicidal

Smash Master
me housing any of you is out of the question

unless you guys can handle a 110 pound German Shepard whose been under house arrest twice for almost biting a vet's face off and attacking a burglar
It sounds like a little angel. I'm sure it's just a little misunderstood and wants the love of others!

Edit: 5000TH POST IS MINE, APPARENTLY.

Top Bottom