• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Really? I'd always assumed it was a reference to that waves of darkness thing that prevented Navi from helping you. He even yells "haaaaaaa!" when performing it in OoT.

I know that Ganondorf does the ground punch in Hyrule Warriors as his first charge attack. I've never seen or remember him doing it in it in other games. After looking it up, it's the first thing he does. Man, it's been a while since playing Ocarina of Time.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Bah, what am I doing? I shouldn't indulge myself in concepts for Ganondorf that will never be.

BUT FALCONDORF LOOKS BUFFED GUYS, LET'S CELEBRATE THAT.

*sobs, curses Sakurai, walks out of thread*

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
Or have it where Warlock Punch or whatever it can be called becomes Ganondorf's Down Special. In the air, it functions as a stall then drop attack, while on the ground, it's a chargeable floor punch. An uncharged punch would have a smaller shockwave than an air one, but a fully charged one has a larger shockwave. Also, the punch and shockwave are separate hits.

Neutral Special could work like Wolf's Blaster, where Ganondorf sends out an energy ball through a wicked punch. It'd work as a fast backhand, but can be charged and loaded like Lucario's, DK's, and Samus's Neutral Specials.
Oh man such potential, I hope Sakurai changes some parts of Gananodorf like he did with a majority of the veterans.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Bah, what am I doing? I shouldn't indulge myself in concepts for Ganondorf that will never be.

BUT FALCONDORF LOOKS BUFFED GUYS, LET'S CELEBRATE THAT.

*sobs, curses Sakurai, walks out of thread*
He'll never be as buff as Link. :p

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
he seems to jump higher, move quicker, have less lag, and now has his darkness effects on more attacks. Nice changes. We also haven't seen his whole move set yet.
Ye his Double Jump seem to have gotten a pretty good buff, for one.
Also, we don't know how old the footage is. A lot of changes could've been made to him already.

LOL DUDE

Smash Cadet
The way I pictured Dead Man's Volley of working is that it would always deal a good amount of damage, but would travel slowly at first, and gain speed each time it is hit, with the speed gain being proportionate to the amount of force behind the attack that last deflected it. This would make it less able to result in an infinite loop and would have a bit of balance (fast characters would be able to hit it easier, but can't make it go much faster, while slow characters would make it pick up speed very quickly, but would have to time their attacks more carefully).

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I think down B should be Flame Choke, who knows maybe it is, after all we never seen anybody show that is still B left/right.

Another thing about down b Flame Choke is that maybe if used in mid air, it would function like the Wizard's Foot did in mid air, kind of you know fuse the two moves into one super move.

As for B left/right, I was thinking maybe he could have at least one or two sword moves, maybe it could be a b attack and a a attack, we'll have to see.

Last edited:

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
I excitedly await my opportunity to see if any of Ganondorf's standard attacks changed.

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
Yup. Carlgreenhat posted the link the an article about it.

But yeah...Klanondorf is returning to us.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Palutena and Mii Fighters aren't the only ones who are getting significant variations. It's not all just adding wind or ice or making it slower, faster, bigger, longer, etc.

But so far all we know is that Mega Man has Beat though. Here's hoping Ganondorf gets something more interesting if his defaults aren't changed (although changing his defaults and putting Falcondorf moves as customs would be preferable).

JanitorOfHyrule

Smash Cadet
NNID
JanitorOfTermina
Make him able to shoot his tennis balls and also make the oppnent able to hit the tennis ball of doom back also a hyrule warriors alt.

Morbi

Scavenger
Ganondorf should be in the confirmed character selection :troll:

Did ya'll know Nintendo took the direct down then re-uploaded it with Ganondorf removed?
Interesting, it is almost as though Ganondorf was not intended to be in the Direct... :troll:

Palutena and Mii Fighters aren't the only ones who are getting significant variations. It's not all just adding wind or ice or making it slower, faster, bigger, longer, etc.

But so far all we know is that Mega Man has Beat though. Here's hoping Ganondorf gets something more interesting if his defaults aren't changed (although changing his defaults and putting Falcondorf moves as customs would be preferable).
Is there any precedent whatsoever to indicate that a characters default move is replaced with a variation? Just curious.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Is there any precedent whatsoever to indicate that a characters default move is replaced with a variation? Just curious.
You mean any precedent for Ganondorf's previous specials being made into customs, and him being given new defaults? No, there's no precedent.

But there's also no precedent for custom moves, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Anyway, I don't think it's likely to happen, I only said I would prefer it.

AbbiDood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadyLion
Sorry if this sounds unnecessary and stupid, but did you guys already go over the ESRB leaked footage of Ganon and how he might have changed? A simple yes is enough, I'll go through some of the previous pages to see what you guys discovered. From the looks of it, f tilt looks like it has less cooldown, same goes for jab, down smash looks like it has more range, could be becouse of the new effects though, and his model generally appears to be about 15 to 20% bigger/taller.

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
Oh balls, even taller than before?

Fullhop aerials are just gonna slap him in the face at this point.

AbbiDood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadyLion
I mean, most "big bodies" were made bigger in Smash 4. Look at DDD and DK, they're HUGE in Smash 4 haha, so I guess it'd make sense for him to make Ganon a bit taller too.
I could be completely wrong though, I just compared high height to Zard and Lucina a little and it looks like he's taller than he was in Brawl.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Part of the problem with examining Ganondorf at the moment is that it was a Smash Run fight, so buffs were all over the place with him. As such, range and cooldown are the only things we can really examine.

I know that d-smash has these cool darkness effects on them now, but I haven't really looked at it too closely because my eyes were covered in the tears of disappointment that the footage means he's now been a Captain Falcon clone for 13 years now.

Sorry, I had a moment. I'm serious when I say that he's nonetheless one of my favorite characters to play. I love how juicy and meaty his attacks feel when they all connect.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Part of the problem with examining Ganondorf at the moment is that it was a Smash Run fight, so buffs were all over the place with him. As such, range and cooldown are the only things we can really examine.

I know that d-smash has these cool darkness effects on them now, but I haven't really looked at it too closely because my eyes were covered in the tears of disappointment that the footage means he's now been a Captain Falcon clone for 13 years now.

Sorry, I had a moment. I'm serious when I say that he's nonetheless one of my favorite characters to play. I love how juicy and meaty his attacks feel when they all connect.
Plot twist: Ganondorf is the joke character from now on. He's been nerfed to the point where even enraged fans will laugh (and cry) and his Smash Run performance is just a bit better than his Melee performance - just a bit. Ganondorf's moves are now all made into seconds instead of frames - so, a 7 frame attack is now 7 seconds. Ganondorf is now a complete loser just like in his own series. :p

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
Plot twist: Ganondorf is the joke character from now on. He's been nerfed to the point where even enraged fans will laugh (and cry) and his Smash Run performance is just a bit better than his Melee performance - just a bit. Ganondorf's moves are now all made into seconds instead of frames - so, a 7 frame attack is now 7 seconds. Ganondorf is now a complete loser just like in his own series. :p
An immortal Godman? Loser? Heathen.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
I know that d-smash has these cool darkness effects on them now
^Also does Up smash btw

And who knows maybe Sakurai made him ridiculously strong maybe even the strongest character in the game! Lets hope for a bit more range and speed on his moves and if he does make him super strong Ganondorf might actually be good.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Plot twist: Ganondorf is the joke character from now on. He's been nerfed to the point where even enraged fans will laugh (and cry) and his Smash Run performance is just a bit better than his Melee performance - just a bit. Ganondorf's moves are now all made into seconds instead of frames - so, a 7 frame attack is now 7 seconds.
Response is to the bold:

When you put it that way, I'm worried he actually won't even be BUFFED :(

Ganondorf is now a complete loser just like in his own series. :p
Believe it or not, I'm not a huge Ganondorf fan and find his character to be kind of run-of-the-mill when it comes to video game villainy (this is just my opinion though, please don't pay too much mind to it if you don't like it). The reason I've been upset with his implementation in Smash despite how fun he is to play is because it was clearly a middle finger to people who DID like Ganondorf a lot--"Oh, you want Ganondorf? Here, have a Captain Falcon with purple flames, that'll make you happy."

It's like when Wario got in but almost completely ignoring his Wario Land lineage, only worse.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Response is to the bold:

When you put it that way, I'm worried he actually won't even be BUFFED :(

Believe it or not, I'm not a huge Ganondorf fan and find his character to be kind of run-of-the-mill when it comes to video game villainy (this is just my opinion though, please don't pay too much mind to it if you don't like it). The reason I've been upset with his implementation in Smash despite how fun he is to play is because it was clearly a middle finger to people who DID like Ganondorf a lot--"Oh, you want Ganondorf? Here, have a Captain Falcon with purple flames, that'll make you happy."

It's like when Wario got in but almost completely ignoring his Wario Land lineage, only worse.
Well, The Legend of Zelda is supposed to be like your classic fairy tale of heroes saving princesses and vanquishing evil. So, it does make sense that Ganondorf is sort of run-of-the-mill compared to say, Two-Face or Dr. Freeze from the Batman series.

That said, Wind Waker and Skyward Sword paints Ganondorf in more interesting lights. Wind Waker's Ganondorf is more the tragic villain fueled by jealousy of a prospering land while he watched as his people suffered in an unforgiving desert. The years of being locked up, immortality, and reflection makes him a different antagonist than the madman in Twilight Princess, the classic evil wizard in the original The Legend of Zelda, and the treacherous man in Ocarina of Time. This was a man, not a demon, consumed by jealousy, envy, and a desire for a better world. He still wanted power, but not for the sake of it or for revenge. That Ganondorf is my favorite despite that I didn't enjoy Wind Waker as much.

Skyward Sword revealed the origins of Ganondorf as hatred reincarnated. Following Demise's well, demise, he cursed Link's and Zelda's reincarnations with a hate that will follow them forever. Twilight Princess is the Ganondorf who seems to be the closest to Demise and some theorized that he survived not just by the Triforce of Power, but by Demise's - his own - dormant power. Wind Waker's Ganondorf's the furthest away from Demise, but due to the curse, that Ganondorf still cannot be his own man, but a spawn of hatred. Tragic and much more interesting.

Ganondorf lost even before he existed. He is bound by a demon's curse that will forever manipulate him.

LoZ timelines :D pretty sure he's technically won a few times.
He lost in two timelines and won in one only to lose later on when another Link showed up to kick his butt twice when he was normal and when he was possessed by Yuga.

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Well, The Legend of Zelda is supposed to be like your classic fairy tale of heroes saving princesses and vanquishing evil. So, it does make sense that Ganondorf is sort of run-of-the-mill compared to say, Two-Face or Dr. Freeze from the Batman series.

That said, Wind Waker and Skyward Sword paints Ganondorf in more interesting lights. Wind Waker's Ganondorf is more the tragic villain fueled by jealousy of a prospering land while he watched as his people suffered in an unforgiving desert. The years of being locked up, immortality, and reflection makes him a different antagonist than the madman in Twilight Princess, the classic evil wizard in the original The Legend of Zelda, and the treacherous man in Ocarina of Time. This was a man, not a demon, consumed by jealousy, envy, and a desire for a better world. He still wanted power, but not for the sake of it or for revenge. That Ganondorf is my favorite despite that I didn't enjoy Wind Waker as much.

Skyward Sword revealed the origins of Ganondorf as hatred reincarnated. Following Demise's well, demise, he cursed Link's and Zelda's reincarnations with a hate that will follow them forever. Twilight Princess is the Ganondorf who seems to be the closest to Demise and some theorized that he survived not just by the Triforce of Power, but by Demise's - his own - dormant power. Wind Waker's Ganondorf's the furthest away from Demise, but due to the curse, that Ganondorf still cannot be his own man, but a spawn of hatred. Tragic and much more interesting.

Ganondorf lost even before he existed. He is bound by a demon's curse that will forever manipulate him.
Nonetheless, as appealing as all that is, it still doesn't click with me. All that extra detail you spelled out could be found in other villains, too. Ganondorf may be a tragic villain, but he isn't the only one, nor is he the most interesting to me.

I agree with the part of your argument that says that Ganondorf is more than a run-of-the-mill villain that he appears to be, though, So I was ticked when Twilight Princes made him mwahaha quality evil again.

TP Ganondorf said:
I WILL BECOME THE KING OF LIGHT AND SHADOW
Me said:
Cool story, bro.
I'd probably like Ganondorf more if Nintendo expanded upon him more and his in-game characterization was more interesting, so I hope the next Zelda game does that.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Nonetheless, as appealing as all that is, it still doesn't click with me. All that extra detail you spelled out could be found in other villains, too. Ganondorf may be a tragic villain, but he isn't the only one, nor is he the most interesting to me.

I agree with the part of your argument that says that Ganondorf is more than a run-of-the-mill villain that he appears to be, though, So I was ticked when Twilight Princes made him mwahaha quality evil again.

I'd probably like Ganondorf more if Nintendo expanded upon him more and his in-game characterization was more interesting, so I hope the next Zelda game does that.
Well, there's Hyrule Warriors's Ganondorf who reminds me of the Huns and Mongols. It's probably because of his glorious mane.

Ganondorf's just a product of the style The Legend of Zelda was aiming for. When Ganondorf appeared in Wind Waker and his motives were revealed, I bet people wanted more of Ganondorf then just classic evil. Then we got Twilight Princess the "adult" Zelda game people wanted after Wind Waker was considered a "kiddies" game. So, we got a madman instead of classic evil which is another common villain archetype.

When Ghirahim popped up, everyone was excited since he was a wacky, creepy, and unique villain. Demise, unfortunately, followed TP's Ganondorf's route as this demon obsessed with power and revenge. Oh well.

AbbiDood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadyLion
Unpopular opinion, but I think I like the way Ganon works in Brawl. I don't really see the need for him getting a sword. While it would obviously be cool, the Falcondorf moveset just fits him so well already.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Unpopular opinion, but I think I like the way Ganon works in Brawl. I don't really see the need for him getting a sword. While it would obviously be cool, the Falcondorf moveset just fits him so well already.
I don't see how it fits him. All of his boss fights have either had him using his magic, or a weapon of some kind. It'd be like if Little Mac had a moveset that involved him throwing things.

AbbiDood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadyLion
Oh, I'm not talking about his games or anything, his overall appearence and looks, I feel like it just fits this moveset that's all about getting in your opponents face instead of spacing moves with his sword(s) or projectiles.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
People say that the Falcondorf moveset fits him purely because it's there, but slow and powerful.

If Ganondorf was a slow, powerful, hard-hitting Mario clone in Melee, I'm sure people could say that that's still fitting.

I'm not easily pleased, though, especially when Sakurai gives so much love and attention to certain characters to make sure they don't just feel like they were quickly put in the game for more star power.

Yes, Diddy Kong is really well-known, but the way Sakurai implemented an air of silliness to him and the way he represents Donkey Kong Country 64 means he wasn't just haphazardly thrown in there. Still, I'm sure if Diddy was a Pikachu clone, people could find a way to say that if fits Diddy, too.

It's just something that will always happen with Smash Ganondorf's fans.

Last edited:

AbbiDood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadyLion
Hmm, I guess that makes sense. I'm not that huge of a Zelda guy, so I never really got attached to the Ganon as how he is seen in the games. I "grew up" with that Ganon that's all about powerful punches and kicks, so to me that just always "made sense". I guess I'm just not as picky when it comes to how Ganon is represented in Smash Bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom