• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I like Brawlerdorf a lot so I don't mind that he's still a clone, personally.

But he really was so ass in Brawl. Just buff him and I'm good. His animations look great though.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
He really just needs a little fine tuning and to make his Fair actually auto cancel like it was suppose to in Brawl.

Also get rid of that Utilt please, it's only good if you break someones shield.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I haven't seen the video, but I don't like what I'm hearing. I can deal with a semi-cloney Ganondorf, but it sounds like my most hated aspects of Brawldorf are returning. If anyone needs me, I'll be in the corner hoping it's somehow fake.

Last edited:

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
Unless I missed one of the videos, we see about three seconds of Ganon :p
I remember the last half of what looks like Down smash, jab, an ftilt, and not much else.. was there more?

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
I guess some of the good things about him is that at least some of his moves will be a bit faster, from what we saw in the 3DS video.

D

Deleted member

I'm glad to see the King of Evil return and all (he's my favorite villain of all-time), but... I wish that he wasn't a clone. I think that I saw his down taunt in the video as well where he brings out his sword...

Well, here's hoping that he gets some awesome buffs!

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
Sakurai is cleary biased as ****, the amount of kid icarus content in the game, Is way more than any other franchise, probably in smash history
Him putting so much effort into Kid Icarus characters actually made me hopeful...

I'm actually really upset over this leak, Ganondorf is like my favorite character EVER! so him being unoriginal to his LOZ appearances again really bums me out.

Here's hoping for;
- New B (Dead man volley)
-New uptilt
-fsmash getting Warlock punch animtaion
-New down B (or a super buffed Wizard foot)
-cool looking/designed aerials (darkness effect of Fair anyone)

but who am I kidding... I'm done believing in Sakurai to do the right thing with Ganon.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I would've preferred he was cut rather than a clone again.

It just saddens me to see a character with a moveset that completely contradicts what he does in his games.

To me it's like having your favorite character, say link, as a clone of little Mac.
I just find it stupid and insulting to the characters history in his games.

3 Mii move sets who no-one wanted, but they couldn't find time for Nintendos highest selling series Villain?

Sakurai just enjoys shocking people with his character reveals so much that he neglects getting the basics right.
Love what Sakurai has done for the franchise, but I hope he isn't involved in Smash 5 partially for this reason.

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
I like Brawlerdorf a lot so I don't mind that he's still a clone, personally.

But he really was so *** in Brawl. Just buff him and I'm good. His animations look great though.
From what we've seen from the leaked footage, Ganon seems to be a lot faster this time around. There's less startup and less endlag on some of his moves.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist

It just saddens me to see a character with a moveset that completely contradicts what he does in his games.

To me it's like having your favorite character, say link, as a clone of little Mac.

3 Mii move sets who no-one wanted, but they couldn't find time for Nintendos highest selling series Villain?

Sakurai just enjoys shocking people with his character reveals so much that he neglects getting the basics right.
Love what Sakurai has done for the franchise, but I hope he isn't involved in Smash 5 partially for this reason.
Amen brother...

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

I like Ganondorf around, even if he is Falcondorf. Of course, I'd way prefer HW Ganon, but the Zelda franchise is not Sakurai's baby. There's only one option: Sakurai needs to develop the next Zelda game. Then SSB5 would be overflowing with Zelda content, and all three of our Triforce wielders would have the 12 different specials.

I'm just happy that Falcondorf has been Luigified enough that Brawl Ganon doesn't feel as similar to Falcon as Ness/Lucas or Fox/Falco

Sonallvegqu

Smash Cadet
Ever since I saw Ganondorf's return to Smash Bros for 3DS, I am very, VERY disappointed at Sakurai of how extremely poorly he kept his gameplay, which still remains the same from Brawl as a semi-clone of Captain Falcon. What I constantly don't understand about Sakurai and his team is why doesn't he change Ganondorf's fighting gameplay entirely? I am very sure I'm not the only one having a gripe about this subject, but I believe he is not being represented well to Ganondorf's nature like he's from The Legend of Zelda franchise. Ganondorf should be using swords and medieval weapons or using dark magic, NOT punching and kicking. Somebody really need to give Sakurai a serious talking-to because majority of smash fans requested that Ganondorf needs to change for a reason for the past several years, and it is not just because of the reason of being a semi-clone of C. Falcon in Melee and Brawl. I also can't help thinking that he's possibly trolling, being egotistical, lazy or just being cocky and ignorant for not listening enough from his fans' demands/requests.

SS2000

Smash Apprentice
*Sigh*… The amount of disappointment I am feeling right now is indescribable…

Bowser gets a nice redo, Pit gets a total revamp, and we have characters like Palutena and Mii Fighters that are like the equivalent of a dozen characters alone, yet Ganondorf remains a luggy Captain Falcon knock off?...

I remember a decade and a half ago when we were waiting on melee. One of the characters we were all hopeful for was Ganondorf, especially after knowing that Zelda was in the game with Link. After seeing his hand cross with Link’s and Zelda’s in the intro, many of us felt hopeful we’d be able to use Ganndorf who had more than enough cool moves in Ocarina of Time alone. When leaks started emerging with news that he was just a slow Captain Falcon with purple flames many of us were in complete denial until seeing the undeniable proof. There was so much disappointment; dreams of using Ganondorf’s cool moves from Ocarina of time or other unique moves and weapons he might eventually have (or what we thought at the time from the old 2000 space world demo) were smashed. Oh well, it seemed to only be because Ganondorf was a last minute addition and so either had to be a clone or not make it, which means we could look forward to using the real Ganondorf in the next Smash Bros.

Then Brawl comes along and we find out Ganondorf has merely been luigified. After over half a decade of waiting, dreams are smashed again. Even harder this time since we had now had Ganondorf in more games like Wind Waker and Twilight Princess which meant all the more reason to give him his own moves. And to make matters worse, Ganondorf now has a taunt where he pulls out his sword from Twilight Princess. That felt like a big middle finger directed at those of us that were hoping to play as a more faithful Ganondorf. It’s like Sakurai went out of his way to say, “What’s that? You want to use the badass King of Evil from Ocarina of time and Twilight Princess with all his own cool moves? **** You!”

Now the next Smash has arrived and it is Brawl all over again… All the meanwhile we have a tried and true Ganondorf appearing in a spin off game. Which just makes keeping Ganondorf a Falcon clone all the more ridiculous.

Let’s say Ganondorf had not made it into Melee. If the time restraints were too much and Gonondorf just didn’t make it at all in that game, do you think we would currently have the real Ganondorf in Smash Bros? If so, I wish it had been that way. Even to this day I still dream of using the real Ganondorf's moves.

I can see it all now, five or six years from now we’ll be waiting on the next Smash Bros, once again hoping to get the real Ganondorf. Then we get the game and see that, despite 20 years of waiting, we still don’t have the real Ganondorf. At least I can see that happening if Sakurai is still in charge.

Every time this happens I just feel more disappointed than the last. I can’t imagine how disappointed I’ll be next time.

This is exactly how I feel. If our option in future games was, “Falcondorf or nuthin’!”, I’d gladly take “nuthin’”. If for any reason Falcondorf just has to stay no matter what, then the least they could do is give us a second Ganondorf (like the HW one) as a separate character that is true to the original. If we can have two versions of Link running around, we can have the same with Ganondorf.

Last edited:

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
I like Ganondorf around, even if he is Falcondorf. Of course, I'd way prefer HW Ganon, but the Zelda franchise is not Sakurai's baby. There's only one option: Sakurai needs to develop the next Zelda game. Then SSB5 would be overflowing with Zelda content, and all three of our Triforce wielders would have the 12 different specials.

I'm just happy that Falcondorf has been Luigified enough that Brawl Ganon doesn't feel as similar to Falcon as Ness/Lucas or

Just have to throw this out, Ness/Lucas feel really different, and in their games they're almost identical anyways :p

We should take at least this one post to be happy that our character made it in any form. We're really trying to stay positive in the Isaac forums, and I imagine many others feel the same :/

That said, though, it's disappointing...

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Oh how oddly bittersweet it feels to still be right on the notion that Ganondorf's Hyrule Warriors self is a zillion times more the real man than he'll ever be in Smash.

RCyclone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rcyclone
3DS FC
0490-7017-9432
Switch FC
3291-1218-6623
*Sigh*… The amount of disappointment I am feeling right now is indescribable…

Bowser gets a nice redo, Pit gets a total revamp, and we have characters like Palutena and Mii Fighters that are like the equivalent of a dozen characters alone, yet Ganondorf remains a luggy Captain Falcon knock off?...

I remember a decade and a half ago when we were waiting on melee. One of the characters we were all hopeful for was Ganondorf, especially after knowing that Zelda was in the game with Link. After seeing his hand cross with Link’s and Zelda’s in the intro, many of us felt hopeful we’d be able to use Ganndorf who had more than enough cool moves in Ocarina of Time alone. When leaks started emerging with news that he was just a slow Captain Falcon with purple flames many of us were in complete denial until seeing the undeniable proof. There was so much disappointment; dreams of using Ganondorf’s cool moves from Ocarina of time or other unique moves and weapons he might eventually have (or what we thought at the time from the old 2000 space world demo) were smashed. Oh well, it seemed to only be because Ganondorf was a last minute addition and so either had to be a clone or not make it, which means we could look forward to using the real Ganondorf in the next Smash Bros.

Then Brawl comes along and we find out Ganondorf has merely been luigified. After over half a decade of waiting, dreams are smashed again. Even harder this time since we had now had Ganondorf in more games like Wind Waker and Twilight Princess which meant all the more reason to give him his own moves. And to make matters worse, Ganondorf now has a taunt where he pulls out his sword from Twilight Princess. That felt like a big middle finger directed at those of us that were hoping to play as a more faithful Ganondorf. It’s like Sakurai went out of his way to say, “What’s that? You want to use the badass King of Evil from Ocarina of time and Twilight Princess with all his own cool moves? **** You!”

Now the next Smash has arrived and it is Brawl all over again… All the meanwhile we have a tried and true Ganondorf appearing in a spin off game. Which just makes keeping Ganondorf a Falcon clone all the more ridiculous.

Let’s say Ganondorf had not made it into Melee. If the time restraints were too much and Gonondorf just didn’t make it at all in that game, do you think we would currently have the real Ganondorf in Smash Bros? If so, I wish it had been that way. Even to this day I still dream of using the real Ganondorf's moves.

I can see it all now, five or six years from now we’ll be waiting on the next Smash Bros, once again hoping to get the real Ganondorf. Then we get the game and see that, despite 20 years of waiting, we still don’t have the real Ganondorf. At least I can see that happening if Sakurai is still in charge.

Every time this happens I just feel more disappointed than the last. I can’t imagine how disappointed I’ll be next time.

This is exactly how I feel. If our option in future games was, “Falcondorf or nuthin’!”, I’d gladly take “nuthin’”. If for any reason Falcondorf just has to stay no matter what, then the least they could do is give us a second Ganondorf (like the HW one) as a separate character that is true to the original. If we can have two versions of Link running around, we can have the same with Ganondorf.
This is how I feel about Ganondorf right about now, and this deeply saddens me to see that Sakurai will revamp Pit and make Palutena a very unique character, but won't use some of the development time to actually make him a non clone of Captain Falcon, I now see that Sakurai just wants to make Ganondorf how he wants him, instead of how he actually fights in his games, his attacks, and his Personality. I had some hope that He would have gotten some sort of a revamp, but I had a gut feeling that he would just be Falcondorf again and in this case it was right. I am extremely disappointed in Sakurai and I doubt I will ever have hype for Ganondorf in future smash bros games he makes again.

GMSTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GMSTerra
Just putting this out there. Please take into mind that the footage we saw of Ganondorf today was in a match of Smash Run, so don't take the stats into consideration as he is possibly buffed up due to the Power Ups.

Although honestly, I'm sad that Ganondorf's still a Captain Falcon :(

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I, for one, am glad Ganondorf didn't retire from his F-Zero racing career.

Brawlerdorf is too much fun to let go of.

D

Deleted member

I'm just glad Ganondorf is faster, and appears to have been buffed. Baby steps people.

D

Deleted member

As mentioned, the baby steps as far as speed is concerned may very well be Smash Run buffs. His run sure as hell made me laugh though. That's what it did.
Aw dang... It is pretty hilarious to see him moving at that speed with his jogging run animation.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Highest selling? Zelda series barely makes what the Mario series does. Hell, Donkey Kong Country Returns sold more copies than Skyward Sword.

Ahem. Anyway, I'm pretty annoyed Ganondorf is still a clone. The rehauled Bowser but didn't even touch Ganon?

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Highest selling? Zelda series barely makes what the Mario series does. Hell, Donkey Kong Country Returns sold more copies than Skyward Sword.

Ahem. Anyway, I'm pretty annoyed Ganondorf is still a clone. The rehauled Bowser but didn't even touch Ganon?
Stop letting the truth get in the way of a good argument.
(I was under the strange impression that it was the highest selling).

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627

To be fair, Ganondorf was touched- his Up-B has an animation after the grab now. It's not what we want, but it is something...

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
To be fair, Ganondorf was touched- his Up-B has an animation after the grab now. It's not what we want, but it is something...
He also has a darkness effect/trail on Down and Up smash which is cool... but all we got to see was;

-run animation (no words can describe the disappointment, why not a float run or just a menacing run in general?)
-up smash (why not a magic uppercut? or a magic blast like Zelda's up air?, I really cant understand Sakurai's design choices)
-down smash (why not a ground punch with a magic wave? like in OoT)
-Up B (looks cool I think, but why not a teleport into that grab?)
- and a short hop Nair (its right at the end, looks the same unfortunately sigh..., why not a magic spinning "shield" something like Mewtwo's Nair that would work wonderfully for Ganon)

I'm hoping (although I am extremely pessimistic at this point) that the moves we didn't see yet (aerials, Fsmash, specials etc.) are more unique and actually fit Ganondorf, but i'm probably just kidding my self at this point.

I don't agree with it, but I can see why Sakurai wants to keep Ganon like his Melee/Brawl self (especially if he likes to play that Ganon) but there are so many things him and his team could have done to keep a hand to hand/magic move set but make him unique (like my suggestions above) so much effort goes into all these other characters to make them unique and fleshed out (so much bias towards his favorite series) and Ganon is nothing like in LoZ.

I truly hope he isn't involved in Smash 5 or at least lets one of his staff that likes LoZ to design the characters for that series, heck any smash/LoZ fan can design a better move set for Ganondorf...

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
I lost hope after seeing that leak.

Since Brawl i had high expectations from Ganon since we all know the melee ganon was rushed.

But after like 14 years, Sakurai have not wanted to de-falcon him. Its an insult to the loyal fans of the series.

When i saw Palutena, i had high hopes for Ganon getting the same treatment. But no. Hell, at this point i would like even the return of melee ganon who was a force to be feared. But this slow fatman from Brawl is a puzzy. I cant stand him.

Apart from his "this is sparta" kick which is awesome... he is slow and uninspired, not to mention WEAK. He was maybe the weakest character in Brawl, in term of effectiveness.

I cant find the reasons, or understand why Sakurai still keeps him like this....but then doing total revamps like Pit and awesome Chars like Palutena and the Miis. I just dont understand.

Now lets look at the positives,
If Sakurai has some honor left in him... i will hope that he tweaked at the very least the other moves we have not seen, and also gave proper wizard treatment to his alternative special moves. if his alternate B moves are very Ganon like...and if he buffed considerably his A moves in power and effectiveness.... ill consider forgiving him...
but if ganon is the same slow piñata he was in Brawl... ill ask for a new director in the next smash.

I grew too tired of his stubborness and his hate for the competitive community...... now this...

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I lost hope after seeing that leak.

Since Brawl i had high expectations from Ganon since we all know the melee ganon was rushed.

But after like 14 years, Sakurai have not wanted to de-falcon him. Its an insult to the loyal fans of the series.

When i saw Palutena, i had high hopes for Ganon getting the same treatment. But no. Hell, at this point i would like even the return of melee ganon who was a force to be feared. But this slow fatman from Brawl is a puzzy. I cant stand him.

Apart from his "this is sparta" kick which is awesome... he is slow and uninspired, not to mention WEAK. He was maybe the weakest character in Brawl, in term of effectiveness.

I cant find the reasons, or understand why Sakurai still keeps him like this....but then doing total revamps like Pit and awesome Chars like Palutena and the Miis. I just dont understand.

Now lets look at the positives,
If Sakurai has some honor left in him... i will hope that he tweaked at the very least the other moves we have not seen, and also gave proper wizard treatment to his alternative special moves. if his alternate B moves are very Ganon like...and if he buffed considerably his A moves in power and effectiveness.... ill consider forgiving him...
but if ganon is the same slow piñata he was in Brawl... ill ask for a new director in the next smash.

I grew too tired of his stubborness and his hate for the competitive community...... now this...
Isn't Ganondorf his main? If so that explains a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom