• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop Tournament Tips and Info!

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm not sure if anything has been confirmed as to which controller will be used, but it's got to be classic controllers. They won't let us use the wireless Wiimote, and I think that attaching a Wiimote on its side to the system would be odd to say the least. Having two wiimotes inside the case with the classic controller coming out is the most logical option, and the demos in Japan used those (I watched videos this kid recorded of him and his friends playing; they were always using classic). So, anyone who has the game already, get used to that one.

And this may be a stupid question, but you CAN use ZSS on the starting roster despite not finding her in SSE, correct? I'm sure that's the case but I wanted to ask just in case. If I only had Samus I'd have a hard time, but ZSS basically looks like Sheik with a whip, which I love :-D

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Its been confirmed that Gamestop will supply you with all 4 controllers.

You can only use the Starting Roaster.

You can play as ZZS by Holding the R button when selecting the Character, not when the stage is loading like you would with Sheik.

xxhyosukexx

Smash Apprentice
He's also good. You could spam his downsmash and scrubs will cry. His fsmash is death, and his recovery is pretty nifty. Somewhat light, but not nearly as bad as Kirby and the like.
i played brawl for the first time the other night,and Im going with pika.he's mad buffed,down smash+thunder=death for most between 90 and 100%.His forward smash is really strong too like you said.Plus he's got a realllllly good recovery.a couple of times I was sure i was dead and he made it back to the ledge.Just gotta be careful of ikes. :ohwell:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Its been confirmed that Gamestop will supply you with all 4 controllers.

You can only use the Starting Roaster.

You can play as ZZS by Holding the R button when selecting the Character, not when the stage is loading like you would with Sheik.
Thanks. I knew how to get ZSS, I just wanted to make sure that, like Sheik, she was available from the starting roster. I guess she would have to be, since she'd appear if Samus got the smash ball anyway. Dumb question.

So, if they have all 4 controllers, than I'm guessing most will choose the GCN controllers, at least if they have yet to play the game. I'll probably stick with it.

reelbigfishstix9

Smash Apprentice
I'm expecting about 1/4 of the people coming to the tournament in my area to be people who are just interesed in the game, AKA complete Newcomers to smash. 1/2 played/have melee and want Brawl, and the other quarter are competitive players. If this is the case, I should have no problem up until about the third or fourth battle.

Another quick tip, if you have the oppurtunity to choose your stage, choose one that benefits your character. IE: Heavy Characters should choose Shadow Moses Island, so they will bounce around in the walls and die harder. Characters with good recovery should choose a stage like Skyworld with pass-through platforms. Light characters should choose not as open stages. For instance, don't choose like standard stages like Port Town.
Skyworld is kind of dangerous for most characters. If you're on the bottom platform you can get stage spiked waaaaayyy to easily. Everytime I play with my friends theres at least 2 or 3 deaths a match from that on the level. But then again I play Ike and his knockback makes people fly straight down so fast after hitting the top platform. :)

Finch

Smash Lord
It says right in the gamestop rules that they will be providing gamecube controllers. This should be updated in the main post.

Strag

Smash Cadet
It says right in the gamestop rules that they will be providing gamecube controllers. This should be updated in the main post.
I'm not finding this anywhere in the rules...It says Game Controllers, but not Gamecube Controllers.

Mario_ 101

Smash Ace
:cool:Well anyway, just use mario, he's got everything u could want in a character; a meteor smash, a reflector, fludd, a decent recovery(i also heard u could use fludd to recover when your sent real high), a decent projectile, a nice comboing ability, walljump, and it looks like he can kill easier in brawl.

BraveDave88

Smash Apprentice
*sigh* Well, they're doing it at my store. I might as well give it a shot as I'm gonna be there to pick up my Brawl copy anyway.

Looks like I'll have to start practicing with items on..

xS A M U R A Ix

Smash Ace
I'm gonna play metaknight because I'm comfortable with him from what I've played but I really hope I can get that kill in a minute, and also I don't wanna get ****ed over by my weight. light weight + items and super = probably going to die.

Marth's FS is amazing though so he might be a good choice since everyone is used to him. I'd play Ike if I had used him before.

Zink

Smash Champion
I'm gonna play metaknight because I'm comfortable with him from what I've played but I really hope I can get that kill in a minute, and also I don't wanna get ****ed over by my weight. light weight + items and super = probably going to die.

Marth's FS is amazing though so he might be a good choice since everyone is used to him. I'd play Ike if I had used him before.
we suspect starting roster only so no marf.
gonna be Ike if I go, he's the perfect noob-crusher. Although if you really want to beat them down mentally, DDD is the way to go.

JackTheMonkey

Smash Rookie
I hope they play with Wii remotes, items on medium, random stages (BF and Final D banned), all characters, and referees for exploits/glitches just to prove to you guys that a game can be fun.

Because this is what you guys sound like:

"Dude just KO that friggin' casual n00b once and the match will be yours. Those casuals don't know the game if it was shoved right infront of their face! xD! Use the top tiers because those new***s will probably use a low tier because it's their 'favorite'!"

And I'm looking at you, MookieMoo, or whatever the hell your name is. You sound like a complete idiot in your first post. Oh wait, you guys are too hardcore for names. Sorry, I should have said "tag".

Gamestop Tournaments are supposed to be challenging AND fun. Fun and easygoing is really where you tourneytards fall short. You use characters that are "better" and "more powerful" and "Top Tiers". What happened to using the character that you considered your "favorite" or the "coolest", like in the old days when there were no glitches to exploit?

You guys make me sick.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
Hmm....

What about turtling with zelda for a minute, then finishing off with Din's fire? Though I guess that could be a little risky...

Zink

Smash Champion
I hope they play with Wii remotes, items on medium, random stages (BF and Final D banned), all characters, and referees for exploits/glitches just to prove to you guys that a game can be fun.

"Dude just KO that friggin' casual n00b once and the match will be yours. Those casuals don't know the game if it was shoved right infront of their face! xD! Use the top tiers because those new***s will probably use a low tier because it's their 'favorite'!"

And I'm looking at you, MookieMoo, or whatever the hell your name is. You sound like a complete idiot in your first post. Oh wait, you guys are too hardcore for names. Sorry, I should have said "tag".

Gamestop Tournaments are supposed to be challenging AND fun. Fun and easygoing is really where you tourneytards fall short. You use characters that are "better" and "more powerful" and "Top Tiers". What happened to using the character that you considered your "favorite" or the "coolest", like in the old days when there were no glitches to exploit?

You guys make me sick.
Oh, right, I forgot. Fun can only be had with items on high, no Final D, "fun characters only."
It never one occured to you that people have fun WINNING?

Guys, guys, here's an idea. If they let you enter tags, USE THE BOX TAG. Don't explain it, just use it.

zomg

Smash Rookie
Dude, who cares? Pick a character you like, and go with it. Remember that above all else, Smash is about having fun.

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
Hmmm ill either use lucas or olimar, because noobs will panic after being attacked by pikmin after pikmin, heck half of them might not even be able to shake them of!

And mookie suggests lucas, and i always liked ness, so that is a possiblitiy of course.

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
Man, Mookie sure hates those casual players.

I'm going to relax when this tournament comes around. I mean, unless I'm playing some FOX ONLY FINAL DESTINATION level of tourney foes, I know most everyone there will be playing Brawl for the first time. There's no reason to make a big deal about PLAY TO WIN MUST WIN.

"Man, did you see my LEET MINDGAMES I did to that FIVE YEAR OLD? How dare that casual think he had a chance of having fun!"

WFL

Smash Journeyman
I'm either going DeDeDe because chaingrabbing is pretty easy and with someone who hasn't played the game before it won't be hard to land a grab, or just use someone like Diddy who can easily back throw -> using bair to edge guard, even with the auto sweetspot.

Zink

Smash Champion
I'm either going DeDeDe because chaingrabbing is pretty easy and with someone who hasn't played the game before it won't be hard to land a grab, or just use someone like Diddy who can easily back throw -> using bair to edge guard, even with the auto sweetspot.
don't forget his recovery is a bit odd.

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman

You guys make me sick.
Did you just escape from /v/ or something? Seriously, there was just a RAEG thread about Mookie's tips earlier. This thread is a bit condescending towards casual players but geez. Take a chill pill.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
i myself would pick zelda or lucas...

but i'm a bit worried about lucas because his pk thunder is tighter, and it'll probably throw off my aiming for a while, causing me to SD a lot... so i'd say zelda... but only if you were any good using her in melee. she is pretty intensely buffed in brawl. her din's fire can now KO and has a much, MUCH bigger hitbox than in melee, so it'll throw many people off-guard who think it missed them. also her attack speed was increased and punishable lag greatly decreased... her recovery added an attack at the end to help prevent edgeguarding...

but again, if you never used zelda in melee, this isn't a good option.

Zink

Smash Champion
Did you just escape from /v/ or something? Seriously, there was just a RAEG thread about Mookie's tips earlier. This thread is a bit condescending towards casual players but geez. Take a chill pill.
seriously don't go there, this thread is too awesome to get derailed.

Foxy

Smash Master
i lol'd pretty hard

feb 2008 =/= moderator

also, don't pick on mookierah

he's a good dude.

xS A M U R A Ix

Smash Ace
Why do people fail to see the fact that.......

YOU CAN WIN A FREE COPY OF BRAWL IF YOU PLAY TO WIN. Screw having fun, I'll do that when I get home with my free copy of the game that I got beating people that were having fun, hahaha.

Zink

Smash Champion
Why do people fail to see the fact that.......

YOU CAN WIN A FREE COPY OF BRAWL IF YOU PLAY TO WIN. Screw having fun, I'll do that when I get home with my free copy of the game that I got beating people that were having fun, hahaha.
free brawl, srsly? If I win it I can cancel my Amazon preorder lol. Ike fsmash to victory!

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
For all the new guys in this thread, you guys need to go back and read up on the earlier pages. Myself and others have already gone through a whole bunch of tips and strategies to nearly guarantee a victory over every non-competitive player at the gamestop tournament.

Zink

Smash Champion
For all the new guys in this thread, you guys need to go back and read up on the earlier pages. Myself and others have already gone through a whole bunch of tips and strategies to nearly guarantee a victory over every non-competitive player at the gamestop tournament.
aha, but why stop there?
Pick peach, get smash ball, push sleeping opponent off edge.
Pick fox, lasercamp.
Pick CF, dthrow, techchase.
Pick DK, go to the edge, face the center, mash down B.
Pick ike, use Eruption's SAF for winz.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
cool, the gamestop where i preordered brawl, is hosting a tourney, true. its like 5 mins from my house too.

about how to own. well, first of all, get a modded wii, and play brawl 3 weeks before it comes out and train.

thats what me and my friend did. my diddys already nasty...peace

-hiro

Top Bottom