• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop Tournament Tips and Info!

Arcari

Smash Rookie
*is a casual player*

*steals all the tips*

*evil laugh*

>_> Nah, but seriously, this Gamestop tourney will be my first forray into tourney-style Smash, even if the rules aren't the standard (I've observed competitive Smash for a long time; I just never wanted to get into it myself until recently).

Well, I'm a Kirby main, and I'm loving the Kirby tips that have been posted here. Much obliged, everyone. I plan on playing Melee like mad over the next two weeks to perfect my Kirby play as much as possible.

I'll check back here later, but right now I need to get going to work.

x4FoSho4x

Smash Ace
Stealing Many Burritos and Miscellaneous Beverages
I'm sure we all know by now that the tournament rules are but if you don't:

- V match

- 1 min match

- All items on

- Battle field

- Starting roster characters only

Knowing all this information what what is the best character to choose if you have never played the game before? Do you have any tips?

Check this out, here is a video of the tournament held by best buy who have very similar rules to gamestop's
How will I know if they are going to have one in my area?

Revven

FrankerZ
Well, I'm excited regardless. I'm going to plan on banana spamming (in other words, bananagames which = combos + bananas). Hopefully though I can use a GCN controller... but, something tells me we'll be restricted to either the CC or the Wiimote.

SuperDoodleMan

Smash Ace
Here's everything I could deduce from the dense legalese rules on the gamestop site:

Check in 30 mins early
GameStop provides all controllers
YOU pay for travel except in round 4

ROUND 1 - March 8th
Fill out a form
single elimination
1 minute matches
tie = rematch

ROUND 2 - March 15th
Sign a release
single elimination
3 minute matches
tie = rematch

ROUND 3 - March 29th
single elimination
5 minute matches
tiebreaker = overall deaths, then SDs

ROUND 4 - April 12th
GameStop decides travel date
GameStop pays for flight, hotel, and a $200 check
double elimination
five minute matches
tie = rematch
top two play a best of 3 set

Also:

All scores will be tracked by the Super Smash Bros. Brawl Software automated tournament bracket mode (Tourney Mode) will be deemed the official score for all purposes.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
They're using tourney mode? Does that even have an option to turn off SD? I don't think it did in Melee...

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
Reseting the game would erase all the scores they track in tourney mode though. It doesn't sound like they thought this through...

miller483

Smash Ace
Wow, now I feel like ****** some scrubs at this tourney. :laugh::laugh::laugh: It's just too bad that the Gamestop in my immediate area isn't having it.:(:(:(

Oh well, if the Gamecrazy I reserved Brawl at has a tourney, I'll be sure to keep these tips in mind. :laugh:

Kasek

Smash Ace
Lynchburg, Virginia, U.S.A., North America, Earth,
I have NO clue as to who I'm gonna use at the tourney (if I even get to go- 17 counts as a 'minor', and my single mother loves her beauty sleep). If there are demos beforehand, great, I'll use my experience from those. But there are just so many characters to choose from :psycho:

HeroXL

Smash Journeyman
Lucas would probably be best. He can get the smash ball extremely easily using PK Thunder (believe me I know) plus he is very strong plus if we are somehow misreading and things DO end up in sudden death, then he rocks cuz PK fire kills and doesn't leave him too too open.

monkeyfan1

Smash Rookie
i'm thinking of coming to an agreement with my first opponent. i think i'll ask him if he just wants to mess around and get a feel for the controls for a minute (then we will be forced to do a rematch since it was a tie).

i wish i could just practice beforehand with a copy of the game for like 2 mins.

either way i'll prolly pick metaknight just cause he seems simple enough and has good recovery.

higgins

Smash Apprentice
Any one who is joining the tournament should pick a character that is balanced and can take a hit decently fast and has fairly good attacks and gives a fair amount of damage

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
I have done quite well with Pit in the past. He seems like he will be really good. Get a kill and stall like a mofo.

Zoolander

Smash Journeyman
'A', the button under your thumb, will be your standard-attack button.
'B', the trigger button, will be your special-attack button. Not to tough to get used to, but it's different
When I heard this I was nervous but then I looked at the Dojo and it says differently..."A" is the taunt and the trigger is shield...1 and 2 are the special and standard attack buttons, respectively.

I'll probably be one of my old (OLD) mains from Melee (Sheik, Bowser, or Samus). Bowser seems like the best choice; he has awesome killing moves and a dominating Final Smash. If I need to get the Smash Ball, I could always annihilate the opponent so he won't get to use it either. Plus, if things go wrong, I can always use the Flying Slam. I hope the in-store demo is able to be played before the tourney...that way I can practice.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
that's a relief.

i still hate the fact that the matches will be timed instead of stock...
A relief for me not you. The rules on the site say we will use the controllers the store provides. You need to call your store and check. Don't go by what I say, b/c I live in Louisiana

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
1. Will my skill in Melee carry over really well? Or will it get lost in the new engine?

2. Are there any characters that I should absolutely not use? As in they are really bad, or have a steep learning curve?

3. At this point, are there any AT's discovered that are useful to try and use that weren't revealed on the dojo?

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
1. Will my skill in Melee carry over really well? Or will it get lost in the new engine?

2. Are there any characters that I should absolutely not use? As in they are really bad, or have a steep learning curve?

3. At this point, are there any AT's discovered that are useful to try and use that weren't revealed on the dojo?
For 2. I'd recommend not using Olimar. That's a really steep learning curve. He'll take some huge time to get used to.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Honestly I would simply go with whichever of the characters you played as in Melee. The tournament is I believe single elimination and one minute doesn't give you much time to learn to use a brand new character. I think people who try to use new characters will wind up being punished for it.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Honestly I would simply go with whichever of the characters you played as in Melee. The tournament is I believe single elimination and one minute doesn't give you much time to learn to use a brand new character. I think people who try to use new characters will wind up being punished for it.
MK is easy to learn though, so I don't see why people wouldn't use him. I'm most likely going to use him.

Strag

Smash Cadet
This is true...I wouldn't use Olimar mainly because he is an extremely hard to use character and also because he is new.

Pit seemed like a viable choice, but I'm still not aware of most of his moves (A lot of people from the vids I've seen have used him in many different ways).

I'm stuck between Ike and Fox...I've been using Fox recently in Melee, but some Ike vids I've seen have opened my eyes.

In my opinion, Ike is one of the best characters to handle round 1 with the very limited time limit.

corban123

Smash Rookie
i think im gonna use ike, he looks like he has the post potential, but im not sure, can u use capton falcon, him and ganadorf r my best chars in melee...

kel_rulezzz

Smash Rookie
Heres a tip for people who aren't good at the game. Pick a character who has a good FS. Like Kirby who can pull their opponent in from anywhere. When you get it, go under the stage and use it and they will die no matter what they are at and you should be able to recover.
Not really, cus Kirby's FS sometimes only adds like 30% but with NO knockback large enough to kill and blow out Mushrooms/Hearts instead. Dont know the % chance though, guess its random

CrossX

Smash Apprentice
I really hate the fact that they choose the controller for us. I'm fine with everything except the wiimote control because from what I've heard, it isn't comfortable for real use. But I digress, melee mains are your best bet if you are aiming to win, it won't completely reassure your victory but it will heighten your chances to play with characters that you are comfortable with. Just hope that the character is not completely changed.

Eden

Smash Rookie
Pit is a safe bet. Decent close range, and has projectiles. Projectiles means he can dispel the diminishing returns on his damage and knock back on the close range moves you spam, while dealing damage. Although, with such an early tournament with few able to practice freely before it that may not matter. Ike seems strong, and someone released videos of Azen playing him recently as well. Pit has been notorious for being able to pick up fast though.

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
Intending on racking up damage with Fox in case my oponent decides to play chicken and fight at a distance.I'll either lure or force them to the edge and shine them off edgeguarding.Any tips on how to keep floaty characters such as (kirby,pit,medanight,etc.)from recovering back to the stage if shine theory doesn't work?

Zoolander

Smash Journeyman
I'm expecting about 1/4 of the people coming to the tournament in my area to be people who are just interesed in the game, AKA complete Newcomers to smash. 1/2 played/have melee and want Brawl, and the other quarter are competitive players. If this is the case, I should have no problem up until about the third or fourth battle.

Another quick tip, if you have the oppurtunity to choose your stage, choose one that benefits your character. IE: Heavy Characters should choose Shadow Moses Island, so they will bounce around in the walls and die harder. Characters with good recovery should choose a stage like Skyworld with pass-through platforms. Light characters should choose not as open stages. For instance, don't choose like standard stages like Port Town.

NDUDE

Smash Ace
I posted this in another thread:

I just tried this in Melee:

- 1-minute matches
- Damage Ratio on 0.8 (closest, IMO, to Brawl)
- Played as Young Link (if he can KO within a minute, anyone in Brawl can...)
- FD, Battlefield, and Dreamland 64 (which is most like SSBB's Battlefield)
- Items on Medium AND off (items on adds WAY too many chance factors, so watch out if Gamestop has them on!)
- Played 1v1 against Lv. 9 Bowser (heavy, massive knockback), Ganondorf (heavy, faster than Bowser, massive knockback), and Samus (strong, recovery like average in Brawl)
- Played multiple types of matches multiple times (character A on stage A with items, char. B on stage A with items, etc., multiple times)
- Little-no advanced techniques (meaning no wavedashing, l-canceled ONLY on YL's dair since it has a ton of lag and is greatly reduced in SSBB, refrained from fast-falling too much since SSBB has lower gravity)

It's not very easy to get kills. You CAN get a single kill in, but that's about it. Items can be a *****, but could also help. You REALLY REALLY REALLY don't want your opponent to get a Super Mushroom in Brawl due to the fact you basically cannot kill them for like 15 seconds (which is 1/4 of the match...). You REALLY REALLY REALLY don't want to get a Tiny Mushroom since, from what I've seen, those can still get you killed very easily in SSBB.

In other words, this really sucks...Good luck, you guys! I know I'll at least give it a shot.

EDIT: As always, watch out for Hammers, explosives, Pokéballs (I got a kill against a Ganondorf thanks to Moltres, so beware of legendaries), and other dangerous items.

Some tips:

- If you can tether recover, do so to buy time. Let's say it's the last 8 seconds, and you're a couple hits away from dying. Jump off the stage, tether, and just hang there. If they come down for you, jump up and take advantage of those precious invincibility frames.

- Go all out on them. Don't try and rack of up too much damage through light-hitting combos. You don't have much time. For characters like Pit and Mega Knight, you CAN rack up quite a bit of damage, but be sure to know which moves are killing moves!

- Ike CAN be a monster. If you're fast enough, you can destroy your opponents. However, someone like Pit or Meta Knight can still beat you with aerials (especially fairs). They can use fairs to just smack you around until they rack up enough damage that they can kill you.

- Every player has to watch out for any weakness and strength against other characters. Basically, if you want to win, know what you can do against another character, and do it fast...

matthewmilad

Smash Journeyman
Well I'm going and I'll probably use ike since he could have the easiest time knocking out someone in 1 minute. A little tip from me is that after you kill them, to kill yourself. They will have -1 while you will have 0 and have your percent back at 0 and just tank out the rest of the match.
Too bad that not only in Melee you could make SD's equal point value to being killed, but in Brawl, the last person to touch you gets the kill on you, no matter if you've already landed and run yourself off on purpose. Too bad for you.

ConeZone

Smash Ace
play as R.O.B. and stun everyone by kicking their *** with him, and then you can listen to his funky robot victory theme when you win it all

Top Bottom