• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop Tournament Tips and Info!

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Yes, choose diddy kong. Hes good, he can abuse his bannanas and he has amazing recovery.

BTW thats who I'm picking for this

hectichobo

Smash Ace
I will use kirby.... I herd he got better.... and i will be very comfortable with him because i guess he hasnt changed much.... and he is my main...

PT Fan 93

Smash Cadet
I know for sure im using pokemon trainer. A good tip is just use a character you think you would be comfertable with.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I can't believe how much blow and suck is in this tourney ._.

Hopefully the canadian tournaments won't suck as much :/

RedKnight

Smash Ace
No idea who specifically im gonna use probably one of the guys in my sig, the only advice I have for this tournament is if your character can glide...use it to you advantage. I have seen MANY videos where gliding could have saved someones life. This occurs alot but especially charizard

PS: Maybe ill play PT?

Chexr

Smash Ace
Might want to pick someone with a good spike like kirby. Normally newbies dont know how to recover well anyways I doubt they could avoid and recover from a spike let alone kirbys.

iLink

Smash Champion
Heres a tip for people who aren't good at the game. Pick a character who has a good FS. Like Kirby who can pull their opponent in from anywhere. When you get it, go under the stage and use it and they will die no matter what they are at and you should be able to recover.
I was told that kirby's FS only takes you in if your are within a certain range of him using it. So I dunno if that would work, but if it does, simply float as high as you can and that should knock them out too no?

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I was told that kirby's FS only takes you in if your are within a certain range of him using it.
Well if this was a "theoretical" strategy it needs to be tested first, but it seems like it would work very well, cause the radius that it pulls is HUGE and casual players probably won't realize they are falling for a trap when the Kirby randomly goes under the stage.

Gary

Smash Apprentice
I'm kinda nervous about it too. Part of me thinks it's gonna be cake with all the casuals, and I'm gonna end up facing my friend I'm bringing along. Another part tells me I'm gonna be at almost the same level as everyone else with all the new mechanics and physics, and I'm gonna lose like the first round cause I suck at time matches.

I was thinking of using Squirtle's pseudo-WoP to kill, then camp with Ivysaur's bair and razor leaf.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
Using fox might be a really easy way to win also.

Laser camp until a smash ball spawns, or if it doesn't just camp for a tie and another match.
Get the smash ball then take a stock or two with the landmaster.
Then camp some more, and if you get knocked off the stage you can use the reflector to stall in the air until time runs out.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
That's good, but risky since fox is maaaaaaaaaad light, like lighter than kirby.

Also don't forget his usmash it's still ridiculously strong lol.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Another part tells me I'm gonna be at almost the same level as everyone else with all the new mechanics and physics, and I'm gonna lose like the first round cause I suck at time matches.
You gotta work on fixing your frame of mind. Right now it sounds like you are doubting yourself too much, and if that's the case you'll start to fear it.

Some things to keep in mind for all competitive players who will be attending this:

This is a new game with new mechanics, but if you had decent tech skill, observation skill, played somewhat smart, and have been keeping up with all the info and vids of the character you plan to play with you have a significant advantage over the competition. You are a more mature player, even without the added bonus of being able to see the current top of the meta-game through videos. You will be able to better adapt than your casual counterparts, and if you just kept your cool and focussed on "punishing" as opposed to being mindlessly agressive you will win.

Your biggest worry will be other smashboarders, but considering a lot of locations, a lot of people won't even run into many competent players. I know that if I were to attend the closest tournament for me (Oxford, MS) my only competition would be NES N00b. But I'm going to be at an anime convention the following weekend (complete with it's own Brawl tourny) and cause that would conflict with the next gamestop tourny I'm just gonna bow out. I'll also be laughing due to the fact that my big competition at Momocon from the smashboards will more than likely be at the district Brawl tournament XD. LOLZ too good.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
'Sudden Death' is part of standard gameplay. :(
TIES:

"In case of a tie in Rounds 1, 2, and 4, the tied contestants will have a rematch to determine the winner."

Unless they're expecting ties in sudden death, I think they plan on canceling the sudden death and making the players rematch.

And even if you have to enter sudden death, a Fox should have the advantage over a lot of other characters in sudden death (unless, they changed that too...).

More then likely though, I'll be using Ike, since he's the one I've studied the most so far and sheik has changed for the worst.

In fact, even with all the tricks we're thinking of, it's probably still best to use the character you have more interest in and have been studying the most.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
fox is still ridiculous hes just lighter and his bair is wierder and his laser has less range but it still goes the length of battlefield

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
OK guys, cause I love you so much and want to see you do very well at your local gamestop tournaments, I will provide you a guide to destroying Scrubs in smash games. Here goes!

As much as I will be flamed by tons of people for saying this... casual players are just not good. They usually play on "instinct" which means they aren't really thinking about their actions. They also don't really change up their strategy at all. Adapting to your opponent in a match? LOL, they don't do that! Seriously, if you just observe them for a bit you will find some easy patterns to exploit.

Some simple things to watch out for:
Do they even tech? If you don't, that's a free Ike fsmash.

Which way do they roll? Do they prefer one way over the other? Under what conditions do they roll which direction? Usually Casual players come up with one method that works on their friends and stick to it, so it will be a distinct pattern. Knowing where they roll = free hit, and if they roll towards you, or stand straight up, that's a free Ike fsmash.

If you throw them into the air, do they instantly use their second jump? If so, beat the **** out of them! Don't let them hit the ground, force them off of the stage. They probably won't airdodge, as to the fact that they won't be used to the Brawl mechanics.

Remember this:

If you completely and totally shut them down early on, you have won the match. The moment you have instilled fear in them, you have won. Your goal should be to take complete and total control over the flow of the match. Once you make them feel as if they cannot do anything to you, they will break down and lose horrendously. This is the difference between a decent player and a good player.

Casual players tend not to have the mental resolve of being able to make comebacks. They do not attend tournaments and tend to not hold up well under pressure. USE THIS AGAINST THEM. You shouldn't be afraid of them, as they are way way more afraid of you.

This guide is also the beginner's guide to learning to observe and mindgame!

messiahfreak2000

Smash Apprentice
NNID
messiahfreak2000
how about mario? i'm thinking of using mario for the local tournament in the first round and after buying brawl, practice with someone else. any opinions? ( i have not played brawl yet but have been studying videos).

lengeta

Smash Ace
TIES:

"In case of a tie in Rounds 1, 2, and 4, the tied contestants will have a rematch to determine the winner."

Unless they're expecting ties in sudden death, I think they plan on canceling the sudden death and making the players rematch.
I'm interpreting that different than you are. The tournament would go all night with rematches if everyone had go get a kill in one minute. If you're not able to knock a stock off in their allotted time, they'll force you to Sudden Death to speed the tournament up. This tournament is for release hype, not for competitive purposes. I can't provide a source, but I guarantee Sudden Death won't only happen, but that they're relying on it as part of the gameplay.

M.K

Level 55
I'd try your main in Melee FIRST, you don't want to lose a match because of falty experimentation.

Although if you are REAL confident...go for it.......

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
OK guys, cause I love you so much and want to see you do very well at your local gamestop tournaments, I will provide you a guide to destroying Scrubs in smash games. Here goes!

As much as I will be flamed by tons of people for saying this... casual players are just not good. They usually play on "instinct" which means they aren't really thinking about their actions. They also don't really change up their strategy at all. Adapting to your opponent in a match? LOL, they don't do that! Seriously, if you just observe them for a bit you will find some easy patterns to exploit.

Some simple things to watch out for:
Do they even tech? If you don't, that's a free Ike fsmash.

Which way do they roll? Do they prefer one way over the other? Under what conditions do they roll which direction? Usually Casual players come up with one method that works on their friends and stick to it, so it will be a distinct pattern. Knowing where they roll = free hit, and if they roll towards you, or stand straight up, that's a free Ike fsmash.

If you throw them into the air, do they instantly use their second jump? If so, beat the **** out of them! Don't let them hit the ground, force them off of the stage. They probably won't airdodge, as to the fact that they won't be used to the Brawl mechanics.

This guide is also the beginner's guide to learning to observe and mindgame!

Nothing to flame about there. It’s true.
People that attend tournaments and local smashfest are better. We've just played more people.
The more people you play, the better you get at discovering even the most minuscule of playstyle patterns.

We have a nice advantage over most players already. If you can get past the unorthodox rules and controller, it shouldn’t be hard.
Unless you meet a fellow competitive smasher, then you’re just unlucky.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
how about mario? i'm thinking of using mario for the local tournament in the first round and after buying brawl, practice with someone else. any opinions? ( i have not played brawl yet but have been studying videos).
Mario wouldn't be bad if you were good with him in Melee. I remember people thinking Mario was good at E4All just cause he played similar to his melee counterpart; however, from things I've seen he has a hard time getting KO's. Considering the 1 minute time frame, I'm thinking he wouldn't be one of the better choices.

M.K

Level 55
Most casuals play on the same level as Level 9 Computers, just a tiny bit less predictable.

ME? I'm using Samus, my Melee Main. Hopefully her nerfed NAir won't impact her KO potential TOO Much. Plus, I'm an expert at item throwing, if thats even possible >_>

messiahfreak2000

Smash Apprentice
NNID
messiahfreak2000
I'd try your main in Melee FIRST, you don't want to lose a match because of falty experimentation.

Although if you are REAL confident...go for it.......
my current main is falco. i mained mario before him though and seeing as how only the starter roster is allowed, mario is my best bet.

messiahfreak2000

Smash Apprentice
NNID
messiahfreak2000
Mario wouldn't be bad if you were good with him in Melee. I remember people thinking Mario was good at E4All just cause he played similar to his melee counterpart; however, from things I've seen he has a hard time getting KO's. Considering the 1 minute time frame, I'm thinking he wouldn't be one of the better choices.
yea i see what you mean. i don't want to take any chances and judging from watching the videos, playstyle wise it'll be more familiar me thinks.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
I'm interpreting that different than you are. The tournament would go all night with rematches if everyone had go get a kill in one minute. If you're not able to knock a stock off in their allotted time, they'll force you to Sudden Death to speed the tournament up. This tournament is for release hype, not for competitive purposes. I can't provide a source, but I guarantee Sudden Death won't only happen, but that they're relying on it as part of the gameplay.
I can't see where you're getting that from.

If they were planning on relying on sudden death then why include the think about ties?
You can't have a tie in sudden death (unless you both die at the exact nanosecond, which I doubt would happen).

Well anyway it doesn't even matter, even on very low, smash balls come at around 45 second intervolts from the vids I've studied.

Even if they don't spawn, beat them anyway with laser camp--> throw random item when they are over 50% for edgeguard opportunity/ kill.

But that's for fox.
I'm planning on using Ike--> item chuck/damage racking--> kill once-->????--> profit.

???= Aether infinite ledge stall

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Still between Ike and Lucas. Considering Kirby due to survivability when it counts.
Kirby shouldn't be considered for survivability. His recovery is awesome; however, he is one of the lightest characters in the game. You need to stick with solid KO potential and somewhat heavy characters. Lucas, while not being heavy, wins in KO potential due to his amazingly ridiculous upsmash, which is less like an upsmash and more like a "hit everywhere around me smash that will kill your ***." Added that you can run and slide into it makes it a "moving hit everywhere around me smash that will kill your ***."

CO18

Smash Hero
Im using Dedede. Played with him a couple of times so im already familiar with him as well.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Im using Dedede. Played with him a couple of times so im already familiar with him as well.
Oh yeah, definitely a good choice. I'm dumb...

Yeah, people, grab D3 and show the casual players what a chain grab is. I'm sure they will love it XD. I'm also sure if you simply said "you can't escape from this" they won't even bother TRYING to see if they can get out of it. MINDGAMES!! LOLZ!!!

Seriously... with D3... you don't even have to observe the scrubs and punish. Just make one solid grab and have fun taking them across the stage. End it with a tilt or a smash and call it GG for that stock... Seriously, probably the best strategy for a scrub tourny. On top of that... you can get stray kills from almost ANY of D3's incredibly strong moves, and he is the heaviest character in the game WITH a pretty badass recovery.

CO18

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, definitely a good choice. I'm dumb...

Yeah, people, grab D3 and show the casual players what a chain grab is. I'm sure they will love it XD. I'm also sure if you simply said "you can't escape from this" they won't even bother TRYING to see if they can get out of it. MINDGAMES!! LOLZ!!!
LMAO That would be awesome! :chuckle:

Im definitley gonna say that when I chaingrab them.

Theyll just sit there and get chaingrabbed off the stage and then edgeguard them with bair til they die and theyll just give up.

Then it will psych out the other players if they are watching and theyll get scared... :)

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
what about pikachu guys? his thunder attack looks deadly! pluse he has his electric to spam
He's also good. You could spam his downsmash and scrubs will cry. His fsmash is death, and his recovery is pretty nifty. Somewhat light, but not nearly as bad as Kirby and the like.

Downfall

Smash Apprentice
Kirby shouldn't be considered for survivability. His recovery is awesome; however, he is one of the lightest characters in the game. You need to stick with solid KO potential and somewhat heavy characters. Lucas, while not being heavy, wins in KO potential due to his amazingly ridiculous upsmash, which is less like an upsmash and more like a "hit everywhere around me smash that will kill your ***." Added that you can run and slide into it makes it a "moving hit everywhere around me smash that will kill your ***."
Against a bunch of casuals? I'd rather have Kirby to punish them for taking him lightly. Besides, it'd be funny as hell to KO them with their own move of all things, depending on the opponent. I'm really only talking about the 1st Round anyway, seriously doubt I'll be seeing heavy competition there. If anything, Lucas is definitely my back-up. Ike though, there's just something about him...

EDIT: Forgot to mention. Really considering Kirby because of his Down+B. It'll work, I'm sure.

Drik Khaail

Smash Ace
Quick question; are they using a demo? because otherwise, Ness would be unlocked after 5 matches, and that's not the starting roster. sorry if this has been asked before, 5 pages is too much for my browser to handle on this site >:[

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Theyll just sit there and get chaingrabbed off the stage and then edgeguard them with bair til they die and theyll just give up.

Then it will psych out the other players if they are watching and theyll get scared...
EASY MINDGAMES, LOLZ! I forgot to mention, all you have to do is totally **** one guy. If others are watching, which it probably will since this will be in tournament mode and by proxy that means all matches will be played on ONE SETUP, they will get insanely discouraged.

The worst thing that could happen would be the scrubs trying to ban the chaingrab. It would also be funny to see scrubs trying to chaingrab thinking that if you can do it, they could do it. If this is the case, just play smart, space yourself, and take advantage of their whiffed grabs. Their approaches will be very predictable, so if you focus your game on taking advantage of that instead of grabbing yourself you will be alright.

Against a bunch of casuals? I'd rather have Kirby to punish them for taking him lightly.
Well you should be alright if you are skilled. But I'm telling you... with Dedede you wouldn't even have to try. All you have to do is establish to them that the chaingrab is inescapable and then you would just thrash everyone. You will be hated by them forever, but you'd walk away with a big fat grin on your face.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I've done chain grabbing in melee and i've seen some noobs think they can't get out of it so they will just let go of their controler. When they do that stop chaingrabbing and smash them before they grab their controller again.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
Quick question; are they using a demo? because otherwise, Ness would be unlocked after 5 matches, and that's not the starting roster. sorry if this has been asked before, 5 pages is too much for my browser to handle on this site >:[
I'm pretty sure it's the official version, since the demo doesn't have the full starting roster. They'll just reset it after 5 matches.

I'm planning on using Ike--> item chuck/damage racking--> kill once-->????--> profit.

????= Aether infinite ledge stall
<---
What. No comment?
I thought it was such it was a good idea too...

Top Bottom