• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamestop Tournament Tips and Info!

Downfall

Smash Apprentice
EASY MINDGAMES, LOLZ! I forgot to mention, all you have to do is totally **** one guy. If others are watching, which it probably will since this will be in tournament mode and by proxy that means all matches will be played on ONE SETUP, they will get insanely discouraged.

The worst thing that could happen would be the scrubs trying to ban the chaingrab. It would also be funny to see scrubs trying to chaingrab thinking that if you can do it, they could do it. If this is the case, just play smart, space yourself, and take advantage of their whiffed grabs. Their approaches will be very predictable, so if you focus your game on taking advantage of that instead of grabbing yourself you will be alright.

Well you should be alright if you are skilled. But I'm telling you... with Dedede you wouldn't even have to try. All you have to do is establish to them that the chaingrab is inescapable and then you would just thrash everyone. You will be hated by them forever, but you'd walk away with a big fat grin on your face.
I was going to say something like "that's cheap", but I remembered items would be on and a ****ing Bob-Omb could spawn and be like "lol sup" all up in my grill. Dog that **** don't fly.

Besides, DeDeDe, though he looks awesome, I'm not too sure I'd be able to use well off the bat. Ike and Lucas are more my speed, and Kirby since I used him in Smash 64, and Lucas since I used Ness in Brawl.

Also this makes me want to use either Ike or Lucas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhtElN3aPkE

Both so punishing.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I've done chain grabbing in melee and i've seen some noobs think they can't get out of it so they will just let go of their controler. When they do that stop chaingrabbing and smash them before they grab their controller again.
This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Their resolve is non-existant. If you throw at them a very effective and easy tactic like chaingrabbing... they will just concede. Exploit this. Exploit it like your life depends on it.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Besides, DeDeDe, though he looks awesome, I'm not too sure I'd be able to use well off the bat. Ike and Lucas are more my speed, and Kirby since I used him in Smash 64, and Lucas since I used Ness in Brawl.
Hmm, basic Dedede stuff shouldn't be hard. His ftilt would wreck casuals like crazy. You can spam waddledees, which will ENSURE scrub enragement, and the coupe de tat (I know I had to *******ize the spelling there, so my bad) is the chain grab.

Still, as said earlier Ike and Lucas are also excellent choices, and trust me... punishing scrubs is VERY easy.

Downfall

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, basic Dedede stuff shouldn't be hard. His ftilt would wreck casuals like crazy. You can spam waddledees, which will ENSURE scrub enragement, and the coupe de tat (I know I had to *******ize the spelling there, so my bad) is the chain grab.

Still, as said earlier Ike and Lucas are also excellent choices, and trust me... punishing scrubs is VERY easy.
Coup d’état if you really wanted to know. :p

And that's true enough I guess, I'm not sure if he'd fit my playstyle all that much is what I suppose I mean. And I never thought about it, but what about Olimar? Isn't he a good character to use if you want to lay down some hurt?

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Isn't he a good character to use if you want to lay down some hurt?
Olimar is mad good, and the casual players would take years to realize that you could edgehog to **** his recovery, and even then they wouldn't do it out of ethical concerns XD. The thing is, he is one of the weirdest characters, and probably the hardest to pick up seeing how he is vastly different than any melee char.

CO18

Smash Hero
Coup d’état if you really wanted to know. :p

And that's true enough I guess, I'm not sure if he'd fit my playstyle all that much is what I suppose I mean. And I never thought about it, but what about Olimar? Isn't he a good character to use if you want to lay down some hurt?
Olimar is very hard to use, sure you could use him if you had been practicing with him for weeks, but dont try to use him in the tourney.

Downfall

Smash Apprentice
Olimar is mad good, and the casual players would take years to realize that you could edgehog to **** his recovery, and even then they wouldn't do it out of ethical concerns XD. The thing is, he is one of the weirdest characters, and probably the hardest to pick up seeing how he is vastly different than any melee char.
Though it could be said all that you really need to know is; B, Over-B, and smash attack the enemy. So it's really just a spamfest if you were to use him, no?

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Though it could be said all that you really need to know is; B, Over-B, and smash attack the enemy. So it's really just a spamfest if you were to use him, no?
Toushe (I *******ized that one too didn't I :-(). I bet the casuals won't know that if you attack it knocks them off. Yeah, in that respect he'd be a good choice. Just make sure to take the time to escape and pull Pikmin when you need to, you don't want to be knocked off with just one or two of those lil guys for your recovery.
MookieRah you have played brawl on japans version?
No, but everyone and their mom feeds me info on it constantly. Basically I'm regurgitating what I've been told and combining it with my knowledge on scrubs.

Downfall

Smash Apprentice
Toushe (I *******ized that one too didn't I :-(). I bet the casuals won't know that if you attack it knocks them off. Yeah, in that respect he'd be a good choice. Just make sure to take the time to escape and pull Pikmin when you need to, you don't want to be knocked off with just one or two of those lil guys for your recovery.

No, but everyone and their mom feeds me info on it constantly. Basically I'm regurgitating what I've been told and combining it with my knowledge on scrubs.
This tournament shouldn't be too hard for the 1st Round, I can't imagine. The 2nd Round would be the only one I'd have to have the slightest worry about, but I should have enough time to actually PLAY the game before that.

All I really know is that it'll definitely be kinda wild, and I'm definitely up for it.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
All I really know is that it'll definitely be kinda wild, and I'm definitely up for it.
Yeah, it would be a lot of fun, even if the ruleset is nutty. I hope you guys enjoy it.

As for myself, I'm working up something epic for the Momocon tournament I'll be attending on the 15th. I'm going to have vids, but if it works out how I'm envisioning it, this will be the ultimate demonstration between the differences of the casual mindset and the competitive mindset.

Downfall

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it would be a lot of fun, even if the ruleset is nutty. I hope you guys enjoy it.

As for myself, I'm working up something epic for the Momocon tournament I'll be attending on the 15th. I'm going to have vids, but if it works out how I'm envisioning it, this will be the ultimate demonstration between the differences of the casual mindset and the competitive mindset.
Momocon tournament? Lol wut?

iLink

Smash Champion
My playing style is a bit of watch and wait. Should work effectively in the 1st round since it will mainly be scrubs, they tend to follow a lot of the same patterns over and over again like constant pikachu down-b or projectile spam a la waddle dees or pit arrows. Just watch for their pattern and exploit any opening they leave.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Momocon tournament? Lol wut?
Anime convention tournament in Atlanta the weekend after Brawl is out. I'm assuming my big competitors (possibly GAWes, MikeG, and other good Atlanta smashers) will be participating in the Gamestop district tournament XD. Either way, there will be a lot of fodder for me to have fun with.
My playing style is a bit of watch and wait.
Sounds good mangz. You are on the right track.

SeriousWB

Smash Apprentice
Oh god I hope you all record these tournaments, it sounds like it's going to be reeaally funny to spectate. Record the people's reactions aswell as the gameplay. (i.e. after a chaingrab).

Downfall

Smash Apprentice
Anime convention tournament in Atlanta the weekend after Brawl is out. I'm assuming my big competitors (possibly GAWes, MikeG, and other good Atlanta smashers) will be participating in the Gamestop district tournament XD. Either way, there will be a lot of fodder for me to have fun with.

Sounds good mangz. You are on the right track.
**** in Atlanta? I could probably make that trip. Now you've got me thinking.

djgwiz

Smash Apprentice
I mained Pikachu in SSBM(which was hard with him being low tier) and apparently hes been buffed quite a bit, I'm going to use him in the midnight tourney.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
**** guys. A lot of really good tips here. So far I'm considering Ike, Kirby, and Dedede.

Kirby:
--Fastest of the three (I'm better with faster characters)
--Fairly quick attacks
--FS under the stage theory (if it works...someone confirm it please?)
--Good recovery

Kirby would be awesome if his FS works under the stage. He'd also be the easiest to play with since I'm somewhat familiar with him from 64/melee. The fact that he's light shouldn't matter much since I'm planning on evading/countering a lot.

Ike:
--Very strong
--Very heavy
--Aether ledge stall

Ike seems like he'd be good but I'm worried about getting used to his lag. His recovery doesn't seem that good either, but hopefully his weight will work in my favor. How high is his priority?

Dedede:
--Chaingrab
--Awesome recovery
--Very strong
--Very heavy
--Waddle dee spamming

He's the most interesting. On paper he sounds like he'd be the best choice but I'm not sure if this will be the case when I actually play. Is his chaingrab just down throw, run forward, grab again? Or is it forward throw? Does it work on most characters or only a select few? How's his priority/lag?

Basically, regardless of which character I choose, I plan to dodge around and counter attack mistakes and chuck items. If I pick Dedede, I'll just dodge/spam waddle dees/items.

Are people sure about the whole suicide thing resulting in a 0 for you and a -1 for the enemy after a kill? How long do you have to wait after an attack before you can suicide?

Seiya

Smash Journeyman
Hehe..I'm just going to try with Pokemon Trainer and hope for the best! That being I hope the gamestop near me does the tourny :(

-Ran

Smash Master
No one has mentioned this yet, but most of the competition will be ruled out on the spot.

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/ssbb/tournament/ssbbtourney_rules.asp
1. You need to be aware of the tournament.
All Contestants must check-in with the onsite GTD at least thirty (30) minutes prior to the start of play. Contestants who are not checked-in at least thirty (30) minutes prior to play may be eliminated from the Tournament in the GTD’s sole discretion.
2. You need to be 13 years or older.
THE 2008 SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAWL TOURNAMENT (“CONTEST”) IS OPEN TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE 50 UNITED STATES AND DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA WHO ARE 13 YEARS OF AGE AND OLDER. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
3. You need a parent if you are minor.
On the day of Round 1, complete an official participation form, or if you are a minor (defined as under 19 years of age in Alabama and Nebraska, under 21 in Mississippi and under 18 years of age in all other states and the District of Columbia), a parent or legal guardian will be required to complete and sign the official form.
4. It's a midnight release. Pending the location of the store, some people may feel unsafe to go and wait outside. More so, they may have work the next day, or simply won't like the rules.

The matches are one minute long in the first round, and after that in the next phases of it [after the store matches] begin to scale up in time. There is nothing in the rules discussing stage, items, allowed characters, or controller usage. I had a chat with the manager, and he said that they have yet to filter down the specifics regarding how the actual tournament would play out to them yet. The current rules that are being listed in this thread are the ones that the OFFICIAL NINTENDO TOURNAMENT are using.

More so, with a one minute match, it's mostly about who has the most luck, and is prepared to be cheap. =p

Hmaal

Smash Journeyman
I read this whole thing and I want to thank those guys and gals out there helping us with this tournament. But I would like to ask for a few tips for me because I planned on using Pit and some guys I know have been playing Brawl via download.

S623

Smash Apprentice
I think that if I go to one of these, I'm gonna' pull Lucas out and have the people say stuff like "lol, n00b using crp char." And promptly beat them to death.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
I actually think MK would be a good choice. He's easy to pick and play as, just look at the E4All vids and other vids. Don't worry about not being able to KO you're opponents with MK's attacks, b/c items can be a perfect finish.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
I'll use Zelda... high killing potential, good recovery, etc. I would use zss, link, or olimar, but their killing potential isn't nearly as good as Zelda's.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
I think ZSS would be a good idea. I mean, starting off with her already grants you some projectiles to chuck at your opponent. Casual kids won't expect it. I also feel that some kids won't shield. So that'll give a big up in the first few seconds. She's got some decent speed, so she can maneuver around and camp if needed.

She's got some combo's right? I'm not so sure about her recovery.

B. Rock

Smash Rookie
I'm gonna play as Mario and just hope for the best. I'm not really looking at it as a tourney, I'm just looking at it as a way to kill some time until midnight. I'm not expecting to win, but I hope to atleast get past round 1.

GoldSon

Smash Rookie
Im the same as you B.Rock, Going Mario, just killing the hunger for my own copy of the game. ;D But Im not to bad, hopefully I have some good matches with some fellow people.

iluvwobbuffet

Smash Cadet
I'll be choosing Link. He's my Melee main and favorite, so I want to use him first.
Then once midnight hits, I'm grabbing Brawl, and heading home.

A tip? If ya lose, take it lightly. It's mostly everyones first go at the game.

=^_^=

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
For those Mario players his recovery is much worse because he dosn't have his mario tornado anymore and it is now the down a and much much worse, dosn't recover and harldy does anything.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
The matches are one minute long in the first round, and after that in the next phases of it [after the store matches] begin to scale up in time. There is nothing in the rules discussing stage, items, allowed characters, or controller usage. I had a chat with the manager, and he said that they have yet to filter down the specifics regarding how the actual tournament would play out to them yet. The current rules that are being listed in this thread are the ones that the OFFICIAL NINTENDO TOURNAMENT are using.
There are no rules regarding stage selection and items, so we are assuming everything on and the stage select is random, although they may let you go to a stage that both you and your opponent agree with. I'd really try hard to see if they let this fly, cause that would prevent some really lame stages. I'd also recommend people look up videos of all the stages so that you are fully aware of all the stage hazards and how they function.
More so, with a one minute match, it's mostly about who has the most luck, and is prepared to be cheap. =p
Luck will be involved; however, if you have been reading all the posts in this thread you will know that we are using everything to our advantage and trying to come up with the best strategies to BREAK this tournament format. If you adhere closely to what has been said and are somewhat skilled, you should beat every casual player you encounter. Why? Because we are more aware of all the strategies currently being used and we know how to break a tournament with a poor format.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Im not going to act like im good so i just might play with ike since people say he is good @ FFA'S and only forward smash and smashball camp. playing cowardly like that should get me somewhere XD

Taekmkm

Smash Cadet
For those that don't have Brawl to practice on and want to use Ike, here's what I use to practice on Melee:

Ganondorf
Items on High
1 Minute Match
.5 Damage
Do not L-cancel

Ganondorf is really similiar to Ike from what I've been told that own the game in terms of how you should approach people. Practice all the walk-off stages.

Top Bottom