• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gamer's Edge - SC/NC Brawl Weeklies - next: nevar

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Don't know what the heck to do vs Falco, and he's had Forte (aweomse MK) and NEO (best Marth in country) to practice against. I've had....that one match vs you in April lol. Not exactly fair as far as experience goes. I think that separated us more than anything. Not johning cuz he probably woulda won anyway, but I wouldn't have looked scubby had I knwon what to do.

I beat Chu first time I played him, but then he beat me twice (both close matches).

Wish I could've beaten Ali in Jubilee and played Chu then. Everyone watched his match vs Chu, and no one watched me vs Ali lol. I feel like I could've won it (that set) now if I had known then what I do now....can't change the past though. Gotta work harder next time is all.

Lol Stingers.

EDIT: Ali, quit that! I get my hopes up so much at that first part of the sentence every single time lol.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
Misinformation is the key to ignorance, so they say.

Rollout is Waaaaay easily punished, and as a kill move it's subpar. A fresh F-smash, WoP'ing, DACUS, and Drill resting work dozens better. Anyone continually hit by rollout deserves to re-evaluate their matchup with the marshmallow.

On recovery from a high horizontal attack, Rollout is good, notably if people try to Bair wall you, as it generally will outprioritize them, but using it on the ground as a punisher should RARELY work on anyone knowledgeable with the matchup. Face backwards, Tilt shield, grab as Jiggs passes through you. It's extremely simple.

Jiggs is low tier, not because of his moveset. It is because of his fatal flaws. Broken shield suicide, LIIIIIGHT as hell, and too much reliance on too few moves suffers crippling decay.

Mario is good shiz.

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
Lol it would, buuut I kinda don't wanna go to Clemson.

Ok, my Marth is much better now than it was back whenever that other tournament was. The only people I've lost to since that tourney were Ali, Chu Dat, and Chillin. All of the time since then, and in those matches I used Marth (cept vs Chillin cuz I dunno what the heck I'm doin vs Falco lol).

What I'm trying to say is this: I want a Marth vs Pit rematch. I won't CP MK this time. I really dislike using him anyways. Marth shouldn't have that much difficulty, but I'd never played against a Pit before, and you seemed to know what you were doing lol. I'd just like to see the outcome of our matches now is all I'm saying. I am not saying I'm better than you right now. Please don't look at it that way either.
Oh man those are fighting words there... very non aggressive fighting words.

I've gotten a good bit better too so it should be a good match. I don't think I've lost a match since we last played (4 tournament in running without losing a single set in singles I can't help but brag a bit). So it should be a fun rematch.

I've been playing mostly pit but I've picked up snake for tough matchups like mk, snake, a few other small characters like jiggs and kirby and for painful counterpick maps. So I'd want to see how my snake does against your mk.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
I almost beat Ryan with my IC's <3.

And no one beats me on Pirate Ship. It's just because I'm... well... a pirate.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Oh I see. Btw, I don't ever like talking myself up because then I typically choke anyways lol.

Glad to hear about your improvement, but that doesn't mean I hate Snake any less now...

Now I have even more reasons to go to this!

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
I almost beat Ryan with my IC's <3.

And no one beats me on Pirate Ship. It's just because I'm... well... a pirate.
Pirate ship was ridiculous. You had me just struggling to react most of that match.

IC are weird. If I hadn't played kack at the tournament before that you may of had the match. Then in the finals peter picked IC on me. I think I improved between every game against them its like you guys gave me a crash course on how to fight them.

lord karn

Smash Master
Don't know what the heck to do vs Falco, and he's had Forte (aweomse MK) and NEO (best Marth in country) to practice against. I've had....that one match vs you in April lol. Not exactly fair as far as experience goes. I think that separated us more than anything. Not johning cuz he probably woulda won anyway, but I wouldn't have looked scubby had I knwon what to do.

I beat Chu first time I played him, but then he beat me twice (both close matches).

Wish I could've beaten Ali in Jubilee and played Chu then. Everyone watched his match vs Chu, and no one watched me vs Ali lol. I feel like I could've won it (that set) now if I had known then what I do now....can't change the past though. Gotta work harder next time is all.

Lol Stingers.

EDIT: Ali, quit that! I get my hopes up so much at that first part of the sentence every single time lol.
I beat m2k the first time I played him. @_@

ptown

Smash Ace
ryan, that day was the first time i've ever used ice climbers in a tournament match after messing around in training mode one day. if i played them seriously, it would be gay.

i'm not one really to be teaching you anything about IC. their grab is stupid and not fun: that is the lesson.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
Their grab range is abysmally bad, and they're extremely easy to seperate. Nana continually DI's towards Popo, so it's easy cheese to gimp her.

I think that it's a fair trade off to let the IC's do what they do.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
The Lower Tier tournament is very limited. Wasn't it middle on down with Melee. Anyways...

Was there another college crew or not? This isn't really a major factor, but I'm curious since Ryan mention some college.

The tournament is going to run late when two good players of similar level meet each other in finals. Typical in tournaments, IMO, so it can't be helped. With that said... Is singles going to start first?

I'm leaning towards "no" for this week. I mean honestly, the time factor is really discouraging to me. And is there any word of maybe doing this on weekends? Saturday evenings and Sunday typically works for me.

It's a shame too because last time I've been trying to blend in new strategies and had a new control scheme I was trying to get use to. I'm getting better with my TL strategies and getting use to my new scheme. Ryan is a good hard learning pressure, but I think playing other players with different characters would help me be more fluid and better at adapting.

How come I don't run into IC counter pick against my TL. I always seem to get Snake. Lame. Utilt. Lame.

Crio! How dare you claim TL's stage with Ness?! This isn't a challenge or anything, I'm just saying. :)

Rotimer

Smash Cadet
Was there another college crew or not? This isn't really a major factor, but I'm curious since Ryan mention some college.

UNCC, we have like... 8-10 smashers, most of whom will be in attendance this week (thus far). and we would love to throw down some crew battles!

enticed yet?

Lareit

Smash Ace
The Lower Tier tournament is very limited. Wasn't it middle on down with Melee. Anyways...

The tournament is going to run late when two good players of similar level meet each other in finals. Typical in tournaments, IMO, so it can't be helped. With that said... Is singles going to start first?

I'm leaning towards "no" for this week. I mean honestly, the time factor is really discouraging to me. And is there any word of maybe doing this on weekends? Saturday evenings and Sunday typically works for me.

It's a shame too because last time I've been trying to blend in new strategies and had a new control scheme I was trying to get use to. I'm getting better with my TL strategies and getting use to my new scheme. Ryan is a good hard learning pressure, but I think playing other players with different characters would help me be more fluid and better at adapting.

How come I don't run into IC counter pick against my TL. I always seem to get Snake. Lame. Utilt. Lame.

Crio! How dare you claim TL's stage with Ness?! This isn't a challenge or anything, I'm just saying. :)
I gave you some Falcon action, you didn't have to go back to Toon Link.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord

I am more than likely not gonna start doing it on the Weekends, primarily due to Gamer's Edge hosting other, non Brawl related things mostly on the weekend. I have an idea brewing for something neat coming up though, so don't worry. There will be an event coming up on a weekend, I'll say that.

And you're coming. Done. I want to friendly you again.

And it's MY stage. I eat children on that stage; especially cel-shaded fairy chilluns.

BEHR

Smash Hero
Misinformation is the key to ignorance, so they say.

Rollout is Waaaaay easily punished, and as a kill move it's subpar. A fresh F-smash, WoP'ing, DACUS, and Drill resting work dozens better. Anyone continually hit by rollout deserves to re-evaluate their matchup with the marshmallow.

On recovery from a high horizontal attack, Rollout is good, notably if people try to Bair wall you, as it generally will outprioritize them, but using it on the ground as a punisher should RARELY work on anyone knowledgeable with the matchup. Face backwards, Tilt shield, grab as Jiggs passes through you. It's extremely simple.

Jiggs is low tier, not because of his moveset. It is because of his fatal flaws. Broken shield suicide, LIIIIIGHT as hell, and too much reliance on too few moves suffers crippling decay.

Mario is good shiz.
Play me Bro 5MM

Jiggs against hmm Ness or Jiggs?

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
That's right, Lariet, was MAN honorable enough to go with a character he had fun playing with. hehe. Wheew, those jab tactics really screw up my DK.

Crio, you didn't say anything about perhaps starting singles first. Like I said I'm still debating. I'll have to come to a decision by tomorrow.

Also, how many Wiis and Brawl set up do you guys actually have. I thought all three were the business's until Devin took his at the end of the last tournament. Perhaps you can ask people attending to bring their Wii/Brawl to set up in your other TV. You had 3 stations going with 2 extra TV (including the one in the back). With people bring their Wii/Brawl that could open up 5 stations. It'll surely speed things up for sure.

I don't mind bringing my Wii and I have a tiny TV to go with it. Maybe I'll start bring it along with my computer and capture device so we can at least record some friendlies. If anything we can at least play friendlies on it. "Crews" can play on the side on my Wii and we can have small "crew vs crew" battle for fun as long as bragging rights if possible. I'm not sure how it'll work, though, since we all have different number of members in each crew. Bigger crews would need to select certain members against smaller crews or smaller crews would need to cycle through their members playing a different character.

ptown

Smash Ace
my crew is just ali and me.

you could make it even by just giving us more stock and allowing us to pick different characters in the crew battle.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
That's a good idea. Maybe 12 stocks is a good number. So say a Crew A of 2 members vs Crew B of 4 members. Crew A members would have 6 stocks each and Crew B members would have 3 stocks each. Crew A could perhaps even split their stocks into different characters.

Rotimer... Enticed, yeah. But there are other discouraging factors. Maybe if singles start first. Then we can have like the crew matches when members are free.

The Director

Smash Lord
This might sound like a crazy idea to some, but I think it would be interesting to keep everybody's statistics in somewhat of a wins VS losses kind of thing. (for example, right now Ali would be around...103-2!)

Of course the only real problem with that is that not everybody comes every week, and attendance is sperratic. :ohwell:

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
This Thursday, I'll bring my Wii + TV. we usually have 3 TV's running, so that'd make 4. I'll see if Eric wants to bring his TV, then with someone elses Wii it'd be 5. Which would definitely help.

I'll do LT singles this week first, but in the future if you guys want to start with Singles, then do Teams, I wouldn't have a problem with that, I guess.

Play me Bro 5MM

Jiggs against hmm Ness or Jiggs?
Jiggs ditto FTW. But I'm always down to MM anything.

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
This Thursday, I'll bring my Wii + TV. we usually have 3 TV's running, so that'd make 4. I'll see if Eric wants to bring his TV, then with someone elses Wii it'd be 5. Which would definitely help.

I'll do LT singles this week first, but in the future if you guys want to start with Singles, then do Teams, I wouldn't have a problem with that, I guess.
Ideally use just the TVs there. Those are nice TVs and I hate switching between nice TV and then having to play on a tiny TV, throws me off for some reason. If the TVs people bring are good quality its fine but I'd rather the tournament moves slightly slower then have to play on painfully bad TVs.

I'm kind of split on whether you should do doubles first. People who have a long trip would have it much easier if they could leave early and skip doubles. On the other hand that'll hurt doubles because people will leave early. In my experience doubles first seems to keep people in the game the whole time while if you do doubles second people tend to be pretty exhausted of smash by the end.

edit: also doubles make a good warm-up

The Director

Smash Lord
The real problem with doing singles first is that people are going to leave during them, and not everybody who showed up will be there at the end of the night for doubles.

*edit* I think I like the standard def. TVs better. Less lag. Like, WAY less lag.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
Ideally use just the TVs there. Those are nice TVs and I hate switching between nice TV and then having to play on a tiny TV, throws me off for some reason. If the TVs people bring are good quality its fine but I'd rather the tournament moves slightly slower then have to play on painfully bad TVs.

I'm kind of split on whether you should do doubles first. People who have a long trip would have it much easier if they could leave early and skip doubles. On the other hand that'll hurt doubles because people will leave early. In my experience doubles first seems to keep people in the game the whole time while if you do doubles second people tend to be pretty exhausted of smash by the end.

edit: also doubles make a good warm-up
That is my belief as well, but if the popular demand is to do doubles first, I'll let it happen. Personally, I think Doubles is the best way to warm up and get yourself into the game, since it's less punishable if you make a mistake.

My TV is Standard definition, but it's a decent size. I'm just trying to make things go a bit quicker, smoother.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
ChuDat only 4 stocked my Peach in melee

With Ice Climbers

He's beatable.
Really? He only 2 stocked my Falcon, and the Captain was one of my worst tourney worthy characters then.

Also, I decided that when I go to college, and if this tourney decides to play Melee too, I will probably go to some of these. Unless Kevin asks me to go when he goes and there's no Melee. Hell, I'll bring Melee.

Lareit

Smash Ace
It's a popular and false rumor that all HD tv's have lag. It's false. Some do not.

The primary tv's we play on at Gamer's Edge do not have any lag. The tv in the back and 3rd from the right both have lag.

Don't jump on the bandwagon. All hd tv's do not have lag.

ptown

Smash Ace
i read even crts can have lag.

i read that lcds once were notoriously bad with lag issues, but nowadays, current lcd models with higher refresh rates (frame rate?) have gotten response times to be as low as 4 ms. also, some hdtvs offer options like a "game mode" which may turn off [some/all] image enhancement processes (that requires processing time) the tv may normally do that may cause/increase that lag effect.

any lag makes me sad. when people become accustomed to it and don't notice it, it makes me sadder. it makes brawl falcon sad as well. i have revealed the amazing secret behind landing a brawl falcon sweetspot knee.

The Director

Smash Lord
When we played on a standard def TV in the doubles semifinals/finals two weeks ago, I felt a considerable difference from the HDTVs.

Then again, I didn't notice any lag on the TV in the backroom so...what the hell do I know? :p

lord karn

Smash Master
Really? He only 2 stocked my Falcon, and the Captain was one of my worst tourney worthy characters then.

Also, I decided that when I go to college, and if this tourney decides to play Melee too, I will probably go to some of these. Unless Kevin asks me to go when he goes and there's no Melee. Hell, I'll bring Melee.
He only one stocked my Mewtwo.

Gileril

Smash Cadet
The tv on the far left certainly had lag last week- it was so bad in doubles that I was just killing myself with extreme speed. But then when I played singles on it, it seemed somewhat better... very odd.

I agree that doubles are better than low tier singles.... a good deal of people already main low tier characters so there isn't much of a point..... half the entrants will be using their mains while the rest of us will be picking up characters we dabble in.

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
The tv on the far left certainly had lag last week- it was so bad in doubles that I was just killing myself with extreme speed. But then when I played singles on it, it seemed somewhat better... very odd.
Early on the wii on the far left had a 4:3 ratio. I changed it to 16:9 for my singles match and felt it played better like that. That might of been what was messing you up.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
CRT tvs i have read do not have the inherent lag HDTVs do. I read on a number of forums that the Wik was never calibrated for HD, hence the minimal lag. To me, all the TVs lag compared to my 27' CRT at home

Doubles are warm up.

zCasanova

Smash Lord
Just putting my two cents forward:

I don't think anything else can/should change as far as these tournaments go.

First off, unless someone is willing to bring another T.V. & Wii, we're not going to be able to come up with another set-up. Right now, we use 3 out of the 5 televisions that Gamer's Edge has. Both Brandon and I have already mentioned that those last two MUST be left open for the actual customers of the store who have paid for game time--whether or not they're actually in use doesn't matter, this isn't left up to us.

Doubles should continue to be played before singles--we already start the latter while the former is still taking place, and it would be really tough to do vice versa. If you don't want to play doubles, then come later and only enter singles. If we switched it up, then instead of having 5 or 6 teams for doubles, by the time singles are through, we'll have more like 3 or 4, and it's kind of pointless to even run an event of that size.

We've also already told you guys that the tournaments are going to run on Thursdays, and Thursdays only. Gamer's Edge makes most of its money on Fridays and Saturdays through lock-ins and other events, not only would the store lose money, but if you guys think the tournaments run slow now, let us try hosting them with only one T.V. and about twenty kids running around asking question after question after question. We're working on holding a weekend tournament eventually, but that's still up for debate, no promises made.

On the topic of the tournaments running late, most of those complaining are the ones who make it into the finals--stop complaining! You're earning back what you paid to enter! I mean, really... you can hardly complain about matches taking forever when two people of near equal skill meet--that's just how it is--matches like that are going to take a while. Besides, we usually have to start later than planned because we're waiting on a lot of you to arrive--not complaining, just saying. If we started when we were supposed to, we could shave about an hour off of the usual completion time.

For me, all this boils down to is being grateful for what we have. I have been to faaaaar worse tournaments than these and I'm sure most of you have, too. As I mentioned in the OP, we all need to be supportive of the ONLY tournament in SC. We understand it may not fit into your schedule, have an extra set up for friendlies or finish when you want them to, but that's just tough--think about pros and not the cons--at least we do have a place to meet up and play EVERY week.

For those that don't know, Brandon, myself and many others (Adam, Eric, Justin, Joe, Billy, Payton--you guys know who you are, all the faithfuls who have attended the rare 5-man tourneys and come back for more) have had to beg, lie, cheat and steal to get these things to where they are--be appreciative. It'd be nice to hear what we're doing right for a change.

Rotimer

Smash Cadet
*snip* It'd be nice to hear what we're doing right for a change.
recording and uploading matches. keeping things running smoothly. providing a venue for fun. letting us get in free that 1 time (no you can't do it again! STFU!).

ummm tailoring brackets to fit location?

you did good things! you do good things!

this is why we keep coming back despite the weekly "rawr angry fix this"

Signed - UNCC crew

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
For those that don't know, Brandon, myself and many others (Adam, Eric, Justin, Joe, Billy, Payton--you guys know who you are, all the faithfuls who have attended the rare 5-man tourneys and come back for more) have had to beg, lie, cheat and steal to get these things to where they are--
Oh. I have done things... Things... to get these tournaments to work.

This is getting too cereal, and needs moar Drunken Ali pictures.

Addendum: I wish some of you had to deal with the amount of annoying b@stard children questions that I do. You might notice that at the end of the day, I look like Charles Manson; It's because I'm steadily on the road to becoming an hero.

Top Bottom