• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game Informer editors "smash" fighting game world record.

Boofy!

Smash Champion
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/03/19/world-record-attempt-smash-bros.aspx

Not sure how many people are subscribed to Game Informer, but as a Gamestop employee, I kinda have to be lol.. Flipping through the magazine during a boring work day I happened to stumble across this article. Long story short, 4 of the staff members decided to break the world record for "longest fighting game session".. can you guess what they picked?

Yup. Brawl. They played for 30 straight hours and streamed the entire thing. Checking out the article you can find some interesting statistics like KDR and most used characters (which was Link LOL) as well as a summary of the experience from each of the participants.

So I think the obvious next question is.. who from this marvelous community is gonna step up to the plate and dethrone them? I know I would be more than up to the challenge! Seeing as how I've come close to that record with no intention of going for it anyways, might as well round up some friends and get some notoriety for it haha

Sariku

Smash Master
I think that playing Brawl for thirty hours must have been a miserable experience.

Actually, playing almost any game for thirty hours has to be a miserable experience. Regardless, I give mad respect to anyone man enough to do that. I've done play-throughs of a game in one sitting with friends before (most recently we did Windwaker, multiple TV's, consoles, and games in a single room, almost "racing" each other).

So I don't want in on this. ^_^

link2702

Smash Champion
they actuallly sat through brawl for 30 hours?

i have a hard time just sitting through it for 30 minutes..

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
iirc, there was a black-out so they had to do it a second time.
That must have been terrible.

Thinking about it, 30 hours really doesn't seem like that long to play a game, but I can't imagine still saying that 5 or so hours in. Good stuff.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Something really cool happens. Says Brawl is lame, should have done Melee instead.

Stay classy Smashboardians.

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
I've played Brawl for ~15 hours strait with friends. We started at 4 PM, and it started getting old around 2 AM. We finally stopped at 7.

I feel really bad for anyone who plays 30 hours strait.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I don't think it would be to horrible to do this, provided I'm playing with the right smashers.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
I could attempt something like this with Terraria...

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Let's plank together for 31 hours!!!
The world record for longest planking in a match LOL!

I wonder though, if there are 4 people playing, do all 4 of them always have to be playing or are you allowed to do 1v1, Single Player mode, ect.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
I would imagine everyone would have to be playing for the whole duration, cuz then they could just alternate. Such as two sleep while the other two play, etc.

imo.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Yeah I see what you mean. Excluding 1v1 and Single player mode makes this alot tougher. At least you still can play 2v2 lol

though thinking about it again. We probably could make two stages in the same stage with Stage Builder and have seperate 1v1s at the same time. To compensate for there not being any KO Blast zone on one side of the level, simply make it so that you have to suicide if you get knocked over to the other stage.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
This could most likely easily get done at a large tourney. lol

:phone:
I don't think it works that way. It needs to be 1-4 players because if it was more than that people could just take turns. It wouldn't be 30 hours straight because it would constantly be different people playing. It has to be the same 4 people playing nonstop (not missing out on a single match) for 30 hours straight.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
though thinking about it again. We probably could make two stages in the same stage with Stage Builder and have seperate 1v1s at the same time. To compensate for there not being any KO Blast zone on one side of the level, simply make it so that you have to suicide if you get knocked over to the other stage.
Nah, just have chaos ensue when you get hit over. It's far more interesting that way.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Nah, just have chaos ensue when you get hit over. It's far more interesting that way.
Sure it'd be fun. But if you're a competitive brawl player you're going to want to play 1v1 sometime during the 30+ hours. It's probably the closest you can get to having a regular 1v1 without anyone sitting out.

Jonas

Smash Champion
For me Brawl stops being fun after an hour or two, and that's with occasional breaks. I can't imagine doing it for 30 hours straight.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
You can at least make a rotation match (16 players).
People rarely use this mode.
And it definately makes time a worthy opponent against 16 players.

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
30 hours is a world record? I'd have no problems with it, if people around me bring me food, and open the windows once in a while

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
You can at least make a rotation match (16 players).
People rarely use this mode.
And it definately makes time a worthy opponent against 16 players.
I don't think that would be allowed. Everyone who's involved has to be playing all the time. Meaning only 4 people maximum are allowed to attempt this and nobody can ever be sitting out, because if they are sitting out, they could be sleeping/taking a break, and that would defeat the purpouse of the whole thing.

In other words, if you have 3 or more people involved, you can't do Single Player Mode, co-op events (such as SSE, HRC, Boss Battles, Event Match, ect), Tournament Mode, Rotation, Training Mode, or 1v1s.

Here are some ways I can think of spending the 30+ hours with 4 people.

1. Regular 2v2s and FFA, possibly even 1v3 every now and then. Do a boss mode where 1 player is fighting 3 handicapped fighters.

2. Character Elimination: Each player starts out at one side of the character select screen, (such as everyone plays Mario first), with the rules being 3 stock and ffa. Once somebody loses all their lives the game is ended, the person who lost their stocks switches to the next character (Luigi) and everyone resumes with the amount of stocks they last left off with. You go through the entire cast and once you've lost 3 stocks with every single character you're out. Last man standing wins. Basically it'd be a 105 stock match with after every 3 stocks you'd switch characters.

3. AllBrawl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQughaSnWPA

4. Stagebuilder: A very underused feature in brawl (mostly because regular tournaments don't allow them). Lets you do all sorts of wacky things and you can play around with it for quite a bit. Though you probably can't make the stage builders during the stream but you can make them before. Go watch some videos of other people's custom stages and see what they've done. Come up with interesting mini games you can play.
Interesting mode's I've seen/played are one where you create a large upside down triangle shape (such as this "^" but larger), you go under it with Snake and try to stay in the air as long as possible with his down b (no ground but there will be a ceiling, you have to tech it in order to survive at higher %s). Another idea is to make two battlefield like platforms on opposite sides of a large sized stage and play seperate 1v1s at the same time.

5. Mess around with the options: They're are many different options that people don't normally use, such as Giant/Small Brawl, Invisible Brawl, Fast Brawl, ect. Play with only a certain item on such as pokeballs, try looking for the rare pokemon such as Manaphy with its infamous heart swap. Try testing out the attack ratio by either setting it higher or lower, turn team attack OFF, this isn't a tournament, this is finding a way to kill time. Test out every option there is! Explore Brawl and every scrap of it!

6. Organize your time management: before entering this marathon, have a schedule, have an order you want to do things, make something up such as doing regular 2v2's for 3 hours, then moving on to AllBrawl for another 2 hours, then having the Character Elimination competition, go back for some more 2v2 afterwards, and then mess around with stage builder and so on.

Le vieux lapin

Smash Ace
They must have all been horrible at it. The harder an opponent is, the more
you have to work. At tourneys, I hardly play for a few hours and I'm
exhausted.

Someone here should be able to top that record easy.

Mr Wizzrobe

Smash Journeyman
30 hours of Brawl? Soooooo one match? :troll:

I'm betting the guys at Game Informer don't think of Brawl like we do, which would eliminate much of the boredom of playing it.

When I first picked up Brawl in '08 I hadn't played Melee in 3 or 4 years, and I had a blast. Then I got Melee and Smash 64 back, and the rest is history.

/digression.

Top Bottom