• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gainesville Florida Smash and Heroes Of Newerth Chit-Chat

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
AAAAND: Don't listen to Eikelmann, he has no idea what he's talking about. Gainesville is not to be trifled with. I'm not sure Orlando even has 30 players who PLACE at tournaments
:(

I never tried to say Gainesville was bad.

All I was saying is that there are other communities besides Gainesville, that's all.

:(

Jav, you seem really angry today.

blindghost

Smash Apprentice
I didn't see anything malicious in the last like 10 posts, so... you guys are dumb =p...

I can't wait to get back to gainesville and play all the good ppl again. We should come up a few days early for fall and just smash the days away...

Man this blows we kinda need linguini.

Well now I just gotta beat blea and roy and its free money <.<

GG's everyone last night and blea you have my number so ya....

Its so simple now. Sfl scene is now hella small like 13 or so people and a couple of fau kids and old vets from time to time. Imma start traveling. Im going to either apex or to6 fo sho
SFL seems to think their scene is dying. Not just from emilio leaving, but from general lack of interest and new players.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
wtf, I don't do that... do I? :confused:
I'm pretty sure you did that the last two times I proposed it at my dorm. I guess I kinda took it out of context; you DID play FFAs with me at GSCA. And I think we played at that GatorLAN tournament too

But yeah, Gainesville definitely isn't the most melee dominant lol. Our maybe 10/15 consistent players with no tournaments are hardly better than Orlando's 30+, which has tournaments often, or even SFL, which has ZP, and a pretty strong community.

Hell, I'm sure even the panhandle has a more consistent melee community than us, lol.
That's hardly hype

Эикельманн [РУС]

So what are you trying to say, then?

DewDaDash said "Gainesville is the most melee dominant region", but we don't even have tournaments ._.

We have smashfests that don't even have a total of 10 people. I never said Gainesville was bad, just that it's not as consistent with tournaments and other things as the other regions.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Ok. I wasn't sure what you meant by "more consistent" but now I understand

But my first bolded statement remains unanswered.

harriettheguy

Smash Lord
That's pretty good max, but

I was left undisputed in my study hall in high school...

I plan to carry on that legacy in my dorm common.

edit: max, i am known in my nieghborhood as a very aggresive cliffthiever, but I don't totaly rely on them for wins (i can clifftheive defensively or power kick for example). And I'm pretty sure Gamefaqs says the official term is ledgerobbing, so maybe do some research before you try to act cool.

"Its not a matter of honor or style, but skill." -Sun Tzu

Raistlin

Smash Lord
I'm not arguing about it. I just think y'all should be open minded. I was just joking saying that melee sucks. I've played the game since it came out and played competitively from like 04-07 lol. It's just a bit old for me really, and no1 plays it in naples anymore. Shiz and spdn stopped like in 06 and 07 so those were like the only ppl to play with in naples + they moved. I come in this thread and usually i just hear from ppl that brawl sucks blah and what not.
i approached brawl with the best possible mindset, and it failed me. i tried it and i hated it. i was definitely open-minded.

also, come fall Gainesville is going to be the best smash scene in florida.

harriettheguy

Smash Lord
Dewdadyash, we'd love to have you over. We get together every friday. In the fall I think we'll be going to Rock's, Ricky's, or maybe even phanna's place. I <3 oldschool blood.

@max yeah you DO do that grin everytime we wanna play brawl at springs.

Summer B updates: Surge of freshmen. Lots of freshmen couples look like siblings. Weather is like "breath" outside. Moving in the fall to Cabana Beach.

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
I'm not sure where you came from with this.

I respect your decision to play Brawl and I totally understand playing it over Melee as Melee IS pretty old (which is why so many good players quit; they felt it was time for a change). I also know that Naples has been a deadzone for Melee recently.

HOWEVER, this is Gainesville's social thread. If you see us saying "brawl sucks blah and what not" it's because all of us who post in here are friends and we like to joke and stuff.

I also hate the phrase "open-minded." People mistake it for meaning "love everything." I am open-minded to other things, I simply have my opinion on Brawl. Personally, I don't play Brawl because I don't feel as though the current metagame favors the attacker enough. BUT THIS IS MY OPINION. I ask Max all the time if he wants to play brawl and he responds "you don't wanna play Brawl w/ me" and gives me that award-winning Masky smile. Until he says "sure, let's play" my opinion on Brawl probably won't change.

*end r-r-r-rage-post*

Are you even IN Gainesville? I don't remember hearing about you from the locals. I know who you ARE, as I've seen your tourney placing (which are pretty good, congrats).

What I REALLY wanted to know was which region you mean with "rockcrock, linguini, me, phanna." I know Rock is here most of the time, but Phanna hasn't been in Gville for a few years (though he is returning, yay!), Linguini is just starting this coming Fall, and I didn't know about your Gainesville-presence until just now. It was pretty apparent you don't know much about Gainesville's smash scene by this phrase alone.

Regardless, I look forward to playing you in the future. If you're as good as you say you are, Gainesville would benefit greatly from a great Marth, even if it is now and then.

AAAAND: Don't listen to Eikelmann, he has no idea what he's talking about. Gainesville is not to be trifled with. I'm not sure Orlando even has 30 players who PLACE at tournaments
well im an incoming freshman and just moved into my dorms a couple of days ago, so thats why. I smashed with masky the other day tho. the gville scene is definately alive for brawl, I was a bit unsure how it'd be at first, but i know now its all good.

By open minded I mean, Be open minded about it, if you don't like the game don't bash it. Just because you may do bad at it doesn't make melee>brawl because you can do fancy combos in melee.. The games are good in different manners, thats why MLG has managed to pick up both games in the past and now in the present.

The current metagame of brawl does favor the attacker extremely. Hell, the main attacker of brawl is meta knight, and he's a lot like the marth of melee. Personally though, it may take some time to get used to, I know when i mained marth in brawl for the 1st few months, and went to VA/MD, i got wrecked. I main ddd now and thats the best decision ive made. you may hit a quitting period of a month or two at points, thats normal. I've always came back though.

Oh and diddy kong is just as technical as fox in melee. Glide toss is your wavedash. Along with all the other crap he can do that I can't even pull of now.

Moses.

Smash Journeyman
I haven't played in sooo long. I've gotten so bad. It's like negative good now. Hopefully will be there this Friday.

Also, DewDa, what dorms are you living in?

Max, do you still live on campus?

Эикельманн [РУС]

Diddy is moderately technical, sure.

I would actually genuinely like to give Brawl another try if you and Masky are willing to help me with that, lol

I'm determined to attend an MLG.

However......I WILL be back by this Friday, and will be in attendance with Kee Lime, from Ocala. May bring one more!

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
Go to the diddy boards and check the general, how to do stuff with diddy kong thread thats stickied. There's so much in there, that its mind blowing.

I live in lakeside btw (by the bathouse)

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Go to the diddy boards and check the general, how to do stuff with diddy kong thread thats stickied. There's so much in there, that its mind blowing.

I've seen some pretty crazy Diddy stuff before. Same with Toon Link; those characters are bananas *cough*

Moses.

Smash Journeyman
Sorry kids. We can't have the big venue again, but next year I will be living at the District on 62nd. They have a very nice club house that residents can use all day if we just reserve it. Go to this link and look at the 2nd picture in the 4th row and you'll see it:

http://www.thedistrictgainesville.com/Apartments/module/photos/property[id]/13443/

Hopefully I'll be able to have some big fests/tournies there. I'm really looking forward to it! I would love to bring melee and brawl players together again.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
@thomas
good catch

@josh
wtF is powerkicking? Smash-attacking?

@dewdadash
I was gonna mention our Beawl scene being good, but I couldn't think of too many players. Lio, Masky, Mampam and Neon were the only ones that came to mind immediately

Raistlin

Smash Lord

LOL at "by the bathouse"

sort of like how springs is "by the stadium." except more far.

I gotta get up to gville sometime again, show Josh's Roy what's WHAT

harriettheguy

Smash Lord
Pat I think I was 1 stocking your Falco with Roy the last time you were here IIRC
Soooo....

Also, since emilio is here JJ aka KOU aka SNIPA PNOI is picking up melee cuz the two of them were butt buddies in highschool.

vgMASTA vs SNIPApnoi doc dittos...wildest dreams came true.

Summer B update: They opened up the Papa Johns. It's $2.50 a slice for cheese and like a quarter more per topping. Panda Express is gonna create a chub force to equalize the UF athletes, also I saw Lio on campus DOIN' WORK on his cell.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
U mad that brawl can never be as fast as melee?

Brawl's a good game to some people, but I simply don't like it. It doesn't help that my favorite character is bad (Sonic) and that my old main is slow as **** (Marth).

Oh, and the argument was that Diddy is as technical as Fox...which is laughable.

Raistlin

Smash Lord
like you showed my bowser huh

bottom tiers counter patrick <3
you forgot to mention i was marth

and awful

Pat I think I was 1 stocking your Falco with Roy the last time you were here IIRC
Soooo....

Also, since emilio is here JJ aka KOU aka SNIPA PNOI is picking up melee cuz the two of them were butt buddies in highschool.

vgMASTA vs SNIPApnoi doc dittos...wildest dreams came true.

Summer B update: They opened up the Papa Johns. It's $2.50 a slice for cheese and like a quarter more per topping. Panda Express is gonna create a chub force to equalize the UF athletes, also I saw Lio on campus DOIN' WORK on his cell.
You definitely gotta hit up the $10 pizza hut deals, man

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Top Bottom