• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

G-rev XIX - Bring TVs, Power Strips and Cubes!

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
There were 4 people left in the tourney when we had to leave the venue. The order we decided on for payout was

1) S2J
2) MacD
3) Fly
4) Westballz

Connor got 5th; I think Toph was the other 5th.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
nonetheless, fun tournament! it was nice to see everyone again. thanks to fly for teaming, tcb for the ride, s2j for the compliment and ggs and congrats on winning, connor and macd for showing up haha ggs connor, hyprid for the venue, stab for hosting and ggs and ur set with toph was crazy! =/, shadowmessia nice to see u again hope to see u at more tournies, sung ggs good stuff today, wes dont make the same lame mistake i did u **** lol tho it was nice to see u again if u want mediocre peach practice im down to play this week just text me, stereo its nice to hear ur traveling around thats really tight, paul gabe nice stuff keep playing man uve got potential ggs i enjoyed our set, vincent lets play sometime lets get u some training in yea had fun at in and out, toph didnt get to really play u but u seem like a cool guy nice job today, and everyone in my car it was fun! if i forgot anyone my bad =/

socals damn good i find it very motivating! gotta get better. so many good sets happening at once at this tourney it was pretty crazy

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
first of all,

glad i got to meet kris-toph-er. definitely one of the best human beings i've ever met.

also glad connor and macdaddy showed up, even though i didnt get to play the latter

finally, i am glad matt tafazoli ***** me

that said, this was a terribly run tournament. it started at what, friggin 3 o'clock? the 28 other people who attended the tournament shouldn't be held hostage because johnny, wes, mark and merc are running late. if it was 4 scrubs running late would you be so kind? it stinks of preferential treatment. if they lack the discipline and maturity to get to the tournament by the time it starts -- which is 1 o'clock, by the way, which is already pretty late -- then too bad, they miss doubles.

and if you're gonna start so friggin late then there shouldn't be singles pools.

(also iono if you collected venue but i never noticed anyone paying it so -shrugs-. also i actually was supposed to get a dollar back, assuming the OP is still valid, but i forgot.)

in any case as far as this game's concerned i'm still a **** noob and it's back to the drawing board

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
no, oscar can no longer post on smash boards

toph/macd and johnny/wes were top 2. baka/fly 3rd. johnny/wes beat toph/macd in winners but dunno bout gf

MacD

Banned via Administration
me and toph beat johnny/wes in both winners and grand

everything adam said about starting on time is spot on and people need to stop being so nice. it used to be "tourney starts at 11" but people showed up and we'd get it started by 12:30 which is fine because we had the venue till 9/10. but you can't just hold off and wait for teams like that ESPECIALLY when you only have the venue for 8 hours.

it was surprisingly nice to see you adam. i was a little reserved at first because i know we didn't really click the last few times we've seen each other. idk what it was, but something just seemed different about you in a good way.

it was fun meeting some new people, even though they've been going to tournies for 6 months haha.

of course we'd play hyprid, wouldn't be an irvine tourney if we didn't

i wish i had a 2nd chance at johnny. there were things i wanted to try. i need to think of johnny like fly's sheik and just stop doing my normal stuff since it will never work vs his falcon. also, currently i think i'm trying to force too much from my tech skill and i just need to accept i can't do certain things and stop trying in "high pressure" matches like vs johnny/fly.

now that i'm going to be done with school and don't currently have a job lined up, i might be inclined to go to more tournies, who knows.

playing fly was so refreshing. your IC's were so much more of a challenge, and i'm kinda sad you didn't try to use them again 3rd game with one of your counterpicks. and even as painful as your sheik on kongo is, it was kinda refreshing to know that i was able to deal with that a lot better (mindset and gameplay wise) than normally before.

this post got really long lol. feel like i'm forgetting something but whatever. tourney was overall pretty fun. though we still need hosts to grow some balls and DQ people/force matches to be played/not wait 2 hours for 1 car to show up. this goes for most hosts all throughout the smash community, not just stab

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
My apologies to the top 4 for not getting the bracket entirely finished on time. I'm not used to having to finish a tournament on a tight schedule lol. It was definitely my fault for waiting for Johnny's car and letting them join doubles, I should have just ran it and finished it before they got there. If I had done that, I'm pretty sure we probably would have been able to finish pools -> bracket. I'll make sure not to let that happen if I run another tournament in this venue. Also a couple other things that slowed down the tournament were the pouring rain making everyone drive slower and me having to run around and help people find the venue. 99% sure the next one will run smoothly.

Anyway, thanks for coming everyone, very fun seeing everyone again, and I'm happy for the solid turn out.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
So. Damn. Saltyyy.

Shout outs to Brandon and Nathan. Nice meeting you guys, and I hope we get to play again soon. Nathan, hope you have a good time traveling.

And thanks to Stabbed and Ben for driving my lazy ***.
And sucks about the time constraints.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
playing fly was so refreshing. your IC's were so much more of a challenge, and i'm kinda sad you didn't try to use them again 3rd game with one of your counterpicks. and even as painful as your sheik on kongo is, it was kinda refreshing to know that i was able to deal with that a lot better (mindset and gameplay wise) than normally before.
I just got a little flustered after the second game and didn't know what else to do, although in retrospect, I think I could have done better if I just timed things a little differently and spaced better. I always tell myself that I'm not going to cop out to Sheik, but it always ends up happening; it's probably in my best interest not to do that, so I'll try to just stick to ICs in any case in the future. It'd also help if you banned Kongo, in which case I'd be less tempted to try that. :)

GMhyprid

Smash Apprentice
Sorry about the tournament ending early. We'll either have to be really strict about the time or find another venue. It wouldn't surprise me if the some of the VDC people would be hesitant to let me rent out a room again, even though we didn't do anything wrong.

Shoutouts:

Dendy: That was a close set. It made me realize my lack of understanding of certain spacings and situations.

Toph: Good games. You reminded me why Fox is such a good character by beasting on me several times. I need to get back to work on the Fox matchup.

macd: You're still so much better than me.

a rookie: You definitely made Mario a threatening character to go against. Good games.

stab: I can now say this with more understanding than ever before. Thanks for hosting. The tournament didn't run perfectly, but you're still doing the community a favor.

Sung: We can't play enough friendlies.

Spenser: I apologize for using such broken characters.

SUNG666

Smash Ace
LA, CA (Glendale) Hook me up if ya wanna smash
Tuan and Spencer that last doubs match was surprisingly close haha. LOL Hyprid...I'm a music major. Well this time we have a good excuse for the friendlies . A Rookie - Props for still going mario. Toph - Seeya at Manifest. Stab good quarter match and HILARIOUS first match with Stab that reminds me of our set at 2GG awhile ago. Baka4Moe - Ggs I felt like I maintained composure 100% of the time and not did anything too stupid. Return, I dunno if it was nerves but you like to firefox horizontal a lot/illusion onto the stage. Scott Pilgrim - All spacies should learn to do low ledge drop bairs cause yall do them too high when I firebird horizontal to the ledge, and also those SD's on the 1st match were on complete accident, I don't sandbag in tournaments. Stereo - You're a nice guy need to work on not shieldgrabbing so much! Hope to see you at USC. The Crimson Blur/DendyPretendy - All of the practice and training amounts to nothing if you play the same the whole time. MacD - Hope to see you in another tournament soon it was fun. Likewise - I started from the drawing board recently too, ggs. You trashtalking is hilarious but I would love to see you vs baka in tournament. Connor - Same with MacD, you ***** me though. CommonYoshi - Go to oxy weeklies! Well this week is cancelled though. Paul - You surprised me a lot you definitely have the potential.

I wouldn't mind if tournaments were started earlier or if I'd be DQ'd because I was late.

D

Deleted member

here is y we were late:

picking up multiple people in diff parts of LA during heavy rain

no information about buying permit then parking at venue. we were runninng late so i woulda bought a permit then parked had i known where it was

someone said just park at albertsons and walk so i DID

i had a bunch of stoned d00ds in my car that wanted in n out

==

another problem of the tourney:

everything was finished except 1 pool lagged behind and it was mine. stop drinking so much water baka all u do is piss and make everyone WAIT

==
in either case stab shoulda just started doubles without us/ put us in losers but I'm SORRY for being late. A lot of tiny gay stuff added up. idk about cutting out pools but pools always takes a while but its not fair for people who want more matches and dont get it cuz of a late car

i like trabuco canyon better personally. its further away but not a pain in the dik

baka4moé

Smash Champion
i had one bottle of water that i didnt even finish at the tourney. connor came late and had to play his matches too, i had to wait for him before we could play. plus i was there pretty early, any lag i mightve caused is relatively minimal

i think the rain was also unfortunate it lagged everyone a bit, plus it was a new venue and all. idk i like it at least and running a tourney there is totally doable if we stick to time deadlines. hell we did all of singles save 3 sets including pools in like 3.5 hours.

MacD

Banned via Administration
I just got a little flustered after the second game and didn't know what else to do, although in retrospect, I think I could have done better if I just timed things a little differently and spaced better. I always tell myself that I'm not going to cop out to Sheik, but it always ends up happening; it's probably in my best interest not to do that, so I'll try to just stick to ICs in any case in the future. It'd also help if you banned Kongo, in which case I'd be less tempted to try that. :)
remind me to ban it next time, k thanks! :)

even not playing you for such a long time, i could tell you got better at the match up somehow (playing baka i guess?). i was getting punished for things and any dsmash that didn't poke your shield had me super scared

and as odd as it sounds, i feel like i've improved in some ways even though i haven't been playing. i just wish i didn't fall back into my stupid approaching habits vs johnny. i felt like i was able to adapt to you and how things had changed. maybe it's just easier vs slower characters for me.... hmmmmmmm

stab: I can now say this with more understanding than ever before. Thanks for hosting. The tournament didn't run perfectly, but you're still doing the community a favor.
haha i love this. it's always nice when people learn what running a tourney is like.

i like trabuco canyon better personally. its further away but not a pain in the dik
i feel like both venues have their ups and downs

UCI venues take less time driving for anyone coming from the north (aka everyone) and are normally bigger, but parking sucks because people want to save money (but if you guys remember UCLA tournies, had to pay for parking there and the venue fee was more expensive) and we sometimes have time issues

the trabuco canyon one is easier for parking and there aren't really time constraints, but it takes an extra 20ish min to get to and the venue gets cramped pretty easily.

you probably save between 1 1/2-2 gallons in gas not having to drive to the trabuco venue (round trip), so in the end the UCI venues might take more walking time, but you save money on gas (which you could use to pay for parking and probably break even instead of using it on the gas) and if you include the walking time it takes about the same time to get there

it just comes to down to driving vs walking/paying for parking, venue sizes, and maybe time issues.

btw this is directed at everyone, not specifically johnny

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
*venue stuff*
Yeah basically this. Also, Trabuco Canyon now costs $75 to use (instead of just a $150 deposit that I get back if the venue is clean), and usually I'll only get $60 from venue fee (30-ish people come, and usually 10+ get venue discounts). That's not even factoring low turnout. If only 15-20 people go (has happened before) then I'd have to pay $30ish out of pocket just for using the venue.

You're a ****.
That counts as a swear word?

Fly edit: Yes.
hahahahahahahah

Also Adam, remind me to give you a dollar next time i see you.

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
in my defense, when I came, only 3-4 pools matches were actually played and recorded in our pool.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
The database has only been running for a couple weeks baka. They are getting tio files from old tournaments and even recreating them based on archived results threads.

Its kinda awesome. We should do everything in our power to help. Its the best thing the smash community has done in years.

WestBallz

Smash Ace
lol then that would mean i would be ranked higher than s2j and lovage with the current ranking
need to dig up those old files so its more accurate

Top Bottom