• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fusion of Three Bowser Guides

Qinopio

Smash Journeyman
It is worth noting that you can cancel the landing lag on an aerial Whirling Fortress by holding backwards on the Control Stick.

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
Brawl's uair is absolutely insane, it's the move I kill with more than any other, I find it far easier to hit with too.
Here's how fast it is: I miss all the time with it because I'm still thinking it's as slow as it was in melee :laugh:

About Bowser vs. Projectiles:

-Bowser's neutral air can reflect some projectiles. I haven't tested this extensively since I don't have a wii or the game but I know it reflects Pit's arrows.

-While on the ground the whirling fortress can be used in conjunction with walking/dashing forward as a technique to close ground on an opponent that is shooting projectiles at you. The whirling fortress can cancel out some projectiles, quickly resetting bowser to do something else if used on the ground. If you move forward in between canceling projectiles with the WF, you can decrease the distance between you and your opponent while remaining unharmed and saving your shield power. (once again, havent tested thoroughly but I've used it successfully against Pit shooting arrows at me)
Ftilt stops Arrows and Razor Leaf just fine, while giving you enough forward movement that the opponent will think twice before just throwing out razor leaf x 10 on you.

I don't know about other projectiles, but for me Ftitlt, Jab, Nair, and Flame Breath all stop the projectiles I encounter on a daily basis (E.G. Samus Missiles, Pit Arrows, Razor Leaf). I have yet to find something of Bowser's that stops Wolf's lasers though...

And the fire breath is too good in Brawl. Very nice for racking up 40-50%+ damage on an opponent, if you line it up right and adjust according to the opponent's movements.

DaneboJones

Smash Rookie
I was messing around with Bowser in training mode and found something I haven't seen mentioned in this guide.

When jabbing, instead of doing two attacks in a row do a forward B just after the first jab connects. Bowser will alternate which arm he's swinging with, as if he were doing the second jab, but instead give a nice 1-2 grab combo. At higher percentages I wasn't able to reproduce it as my opponent would be knocked back out of reach by the first hit.

Just something I thought was cool.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
Here's how fast it is: I miss all the time with it because I'm still thinking it's as slow as it was in melee :laugh:

Ftilt stops Arrows and Razor Leaf just fine, while giving you enough forward movement that the opponent will think twice before just throwing out razor leaf x 10 on you.

I don't know about other projectiles, but for me Ftitlt, Jab, Nair, and Flame Breath all stop the projectiles I encounter on a daily basis (E.G. Samus Missiles, Pit Arrows, Razor Leaf). I have yet to find something of Bowser's that stops Wolf's lasers though...

And the fire breath is too good in Brawl. Very nice for racking up 40-50%+ damage on an opponent, if you line it up right and adjust according to the opponent's movements.
You would not believe the number of times I've hit MasterC's IVy with ftilts because he just kept spamming razor leaf at me, it's great because it hits him before you get in grab range too.

Fire breath should be spammed more than anything else tbh, it's just so good.

chili

Smash Cadet
I just wanted to say that this is a great guide, and has already helped me ( a smash noob) a lot. :)

salaboB

Smash Champion
Its a controller port issue. 1p > 2p > 3p> 4p . So Bowser mainers should jump pn the first port asap. Gayness too... this is truly bad game development/programming.
Since the guide specifically says edits will be added for this but it doesn't have it, I'd just like to bump this quote for why Bowsercides sometimes lead to sudden death or not.

Also, a note that you might want to edit into the whirling fortress is that if you come in high with it (I've noticed it if I'm landing about a platform height below where I began the move in the air) you'll bounce on landing and take significantly longer to recover than normal.

bLeAkWuN

Smash Cadet
i find the infinite jump highly useful...try jumping in one direction while grabing to the other...prevents rushes.....also u can do a pretty good short hop fake where u can get on the other side of the opponent...stall as much as u can nd u wont be predictable...anyone else attack out of the jump nd then jump again?it goes on forever...really good way to annoy a player trying to recover...bowza is this ishnite...:chuckle:

Ezurus

Smash Rookie
Nice guide, needs updating. Two important edits:

1.) Edit: Bowsercide controller port priority (Bowser wins if lower port number, else tie)

2.) Add: Bowser Bomb edge grab

Axelguy4realz

Smash Cadet
Good guide, is there a place where I can find the match up's for bowser? Cuz iI need to know which characters bowser has toubles with, good against, and If possible how to beat them.

brentlouis

Smash Journeyman
you should put something in about bowser down b edgehogging and stalling stuff, i find it useful to edgehog then do a bair as a gimp and the return to the edge, i also find it useful to short hop the fortress, it gets all nine hits and if you miss you can DI away from the opponent

I wanna make a guide so bad :cry: Unfortunately I dont have the organizational skills or the mental quickness to do it. Any tips on creating guides?

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
I would like to give my 2cents on the Bowsercide. It has been determined that the control port that Bowser and his opponent are determines if Bowser will win or if it will go into a sudden death match. Thats what I know for sure.

Vect0r

Smash Journeyman
A Magnificient Bowser guide it is! Still, its a shame that there aren't many Bowser players in the world, and I blame those popular characters especially Marth, Ike, and those 3 space animals.
Don't blame other characters. Blame the ones who are making tier lists.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Up Aerial/Uair

Bowser swings his arm rapidly over his head, striking ferociously
Nice guide! I love playing Bowser.

However you might want to change the facts I quoted!
I found out i training mode that he uses his head in his Uair, try it at 1/4 speed.

But I can't blame you,
It really looks like he's using his arm at normal speed.
I thought that too before I realized it at 1/4 speed. =)

Slush

Smash Cadet
Woah! That must have taken a while :p.

Thanks a lot, I use Bowser a lot as my ace in the hole. Most people are all pumped for the final match, I've been maining ICs all night or just with friends, and Bowser shows up. They laugh...then die at %120 about a minute later. hehe. I've already got a feel for him, but the vids would be nice, as I don't have him mastered yet.

Dr.Jo2229

Smash Rookie
This is a nice guide could you please add the ATs bowser can use apart from infinite jump?

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
Just wanted to mention something I found out the other day:

It's widely known that Bowser's fsmash lets him dodge some attacks when he rears back, but I found out the same thing is true with his upsmash to an extent.

Last night I used it to jump over a Falcon Punch, and the landing part of the smash knocked the Falcon away.

It's probably even harder and less practical to do than the fsmash version, but yes, the hop Bowser does during the upsmash can clear a Falcon Punch timed right, and probably a bunch of annoying dtilts as well.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
RAWR! Boozer so cuuuuuute

RAWR_Bowser

Trade transaction: Dynamism “RAWR” for COATIC “Boozer Cute”
RAWR>>>COATIC from Dynamism
Boozer Cute>>>Dynamism from CAOTIC
[‘transaction complete’]
...tiz mine now!

BOOZER CUUUUUTE

What is all this ****?
- Match up charts, attack descriptions, stage selection, advanced techniques, tricks with attacks...
It’s all somewhere around these boards and you can find them in the threads. The one thing that can’t really be applied to charts or statistics is the theory and application of all of these things together.

You can see it in videos and can learn your own tricks and baiting and punishing techniques on your own but all of these different styles have ups and downs. So, simply put, I’m going to layout the way I use the character as best I can.

In the process, I will try covering the things (strengths) that make the character work and the things (weaknesses) that the character needs to work around using the statistics for the character that are found in these other threads.

All of the statistics on what to do from a grab are important to know, but knowing how to land a grab is important too. This is where that part of the game will develop. How do you land a given attack on a given character and what attack is best to use in a given situation?

This isn’t the way someone should play the character and it isn’t the way the character is best played. This is just the way one player (me) uses the character and perhaps it’s good or bad. Improve this players ability to use the character until they use it to perfection and it may help you and others along the way. Videos will come from myself and others who have UNIQUE and/or EFFICIENT ways to play the character that should be taken into consideration.

Why is this **** here?
1. It might help some new players to understand the applications of the data on match ups and attacks that are posted through the charts and threads here.

2. If there is something you think can be added or improved on, point out what it is you like to do in a situation or what you’d do differently in a given situation to further improve this characters game.

3. I don’t main a character, I main Random competitively and this is the backbone of the character that I use when the time is called for me to use them. I NEED YOU TO GIVE ME THE DEPTH THAT I LACK ON PLAYING THIS CHARACTER A PERFECTLY AS POSSIBLE!

4. The ultimate peak of the characters potential, that’s what this is for.

Instructions:

If you have something interesting in your style of play or the way you approach using the character, sections throughout will outline the styles and how they work. Simply ask me why I do something or what I do when something else occurs that isn’t mentioned yet and I’ll elaborate or explain what I can OR explain what it is you do in a situation that you think is fitting and it will be added to the section.

How To Do Bowser, Dynie Style!

Playing The General Boozer Cute Game
Summary: SPEED!!!
- Bowser is not an overly slow character and I like to make him move as fast as I can.

He’s heavy and big but if he’s always moving, he becomes a flying offence. If Bowser can make the opponent cautious and play his game by moving around the stage at high speeds, they can’t play the game that they would want against Bowser as he becomes a high pressure character. He has fast attacks and lots of range. Including break away moves like his UpB that sets up and gets him out of trouble and approaching moves like his SideB which is safe because he can evade at the same time yet the approach can’t be shielded. Of course, everyone knows these things about Bowser and uses them in some way. They’re used often and mostly because of their speed.

My Safety Net UpB
When I’m is gonna get hit by an aerial and I can’t get out of the way or attack them first, UpB will always be a great option. It often trades hits with things like DK and Wolf B-air approaches if they don’t space perfectly and if Bowser is moving a lot and dashes into shield, they won’t be perfectly spaced. It also works very well on platforms. In many cases, shielding the attack is definitely the better choice because it’s safe and I can react accordingly out of shielding it, but often shielding wont give Bowser the highest advantage.

For example, if a Falco tries to D-air me and I’m on a platform, I’ll just UpB and it’ll win or trade hits and I can slide off to a safe place again. Or if he’s jumping from below to B-air me, same thing. When simply shielding these things, Falco will just fly by and be unpunished where UpB to trade with him would both set up and deal more damage. If everything misses altogether, you can still move to safety while using UpB.

Trading hits as Bowser is usually a good thing considering he hits harder and he’s heavier in almost all situations. This goes for everything from ftilting MK Nados to U-airing Yoshi’s slam. If I can’t shield or dodge it, I’ll just hit it back. Trading hits is a plus for Bowser and UpB will almost always trade when used as a safety net.

High Pressure Play
I like to stay right on top and in front of my opponent. Usually characters either like to stay away and look for that space to get inside Bowser to do the damage or stay away and camp or out range Bowser. When Bowser gets right up in their face, they can’t space that distance much at all. If the opponent somehow turns the momentum around for a moment, I UpB to safety, even hang on the ledge for a bit. Though if I’m fighting a lighter character and they can’t do anything devastating to me, I like to save my UpB because it can kill light characters early. So I do something else out or shield and react.

The more you move, the more you’ll control the pace and space of the match. Bowser is big and covers a lot of area with himself and his attacks so if he’s moving, the opponent has to move even more to keep their spacing and this usually means they wont have as many chances from spending so much of their movement and spacing on moving to safe spots.

Klaw Hopping & Movement Application
Using his Klaw Hop to approach is great but I like to simply KH near them, they can’t really get to me without being slammed and they can’t punish it. Just using empty KH’s around the stage is a useful spacing tool. This leaves Bowser moving quickly and leaves his options open. When they act on a KH, dodging their approach is easy since he’s moving. Landing into something like a grab or ftilt is a good way to punish their rush either out of an AD or after an aerial at the peak of the hop.

They want to get Bowser when he’s in the air but I like to KH and be ready for them to come to me. It’s as good as bait gets and it’s actually completely safe with everything from F-air to the last resort of an AD back down into UpB.

Sometimes F-air on landing is a good option too. I don’t mind using his B-air upon landing either, the lag isn’t as bad as it’s made out to be and it’s well worth it if I think I have a chance when they’ve given me an opening. Only if it’s a clear shot though. If not, a Klaw is safe again. Klaw Hopping them is always the safest but when the chance comes, I B-air or F-air on landing or land and tilt or grab or dash in and out for re-spacing. Bowser is versatile and his options multiply on the constant move.

A little approach and evade trick that works often for me is a SH F-air and DIing backwards to land away from them. Following this with ftilt or doing what the moment calls for is great bait and safe approach all in one. It’s about as good a wall as he can make and is a very effective maneuver. For some reason, people still think a SH F-air is punishable on landing so use this spacing to set up and punish. DI away every time they shield or dodge.

Don’t forget to Short Hop Air Dodge and its many uses. I use it as a get away jump if things look bad. Get away jumps are always a last resort but others will find holes in Bowser’s attack either way, because he isn’t the fastest character after all. Getting away with an AD is the best choice when a hit trade or UpB won’t work or not worth it. SH ADs can also be used as a countering and baiting tool as he can move straight into anything upon landing and he’s safe while spacing through the air either behind the opponent or dodging an attack. A get away jump can simply be used to dodge a fsmash and land beside the opponent to grab.

Jab! When I’m dashing, KHing, anything, some good jabs thrown out whenever it looks like they’re trying to force an approach on me will make them either run into it or keep them away. When they’re close enough that they can probably hit Bowser before he can hit them, I jab and see what happens. When they’re at an ideal ftilt distance but I’m not sure if I have time to ftilt, I jab instead. It’s safe and even if it misses, they wont try to punish a jab, or they will and they’ll get an UpB to the face for it. I jab into a grounded DownB on occasion as it’ll probably hit only once but it’ll scare them away from trying to punish jabs for good.

I Klaw Hop and dash around, ftilting, jabbing, shielding, grabbing and F-airing in between movements to space myself. Any problems are evaded with UpB or SH ADs and I play in their face and move constantly. Insta-win!

Edge & Ledge Game Strategies:
I love his ledge game! It’s great. When in trouble, I go to the ledge and hang out. Dropping and using DJ UpB will give Bowser almost constant invincibility and DJ DownB will be similar. Both his jump straight from ledge and dropping to DJ on are by far his safest options when I know I’ll get punished from a regular attack from the edge of the stage.

The straight ledge jump is very fast and high. It’s safe and puts Bowser moving across the stage either on platforms to KH to the far side safely, an easy AD back to the center or attacking with a KH right above them. His drop and jump from the ledge is very quick too. A F-air up from the ledge or landing into a ftilt is very safe and effective to anyone trying to pressure him on the ledge. Even hopping up and fsmashing is quick. His ledge game is great, so once I’m back at the stage and grab the ledge, I consider myself recovered.

For edgeguarding, if the opponent is high and coming in, I spam B-air. I don’t go out too far, there is no reason to as B-air will probably kill them from the stage either way. If they’re coming in low, Firebreath. It probably wont kill them but the damage will be well worth it as any attack will send them back out there. I don’t go horizontally or down when edgeguarding off stage, just going out to edgeguard above the stage. When they can’t be B-aired, I use fire, then react accordingly staying on stage. If they grab the ledge, I step back and wait for them, then ftilt, fair, whatever. It’s safe and doesn’t get them anywhere without me making the mistake.

How I Win With Boozer:
I’m always moving if I’m not attacking with a jab, tilt, grab, smash or shielding. I don’t spot dodge much, if ever, and don’t roll stand still often. I keep my distance and jab or ftilt when in range both after and during the constant F-airs and SideBs thrown out at them. When they go into the air and leave an easy opening, I dash in to grab, usmash, dashattack, Klaw, F-air or shield and wait for them. If the opening works, I punish accordingly with anything from utilt to CGs. If the opening doesn’t work or looks like it won’t, I UpB immediately and get to safety.

Against most characters, there isn’t much Bowser can be punished for when he dashes in at the right moment through his hopping around and shields or attacks, so I take every chance and play cautiously. If I have even a moment of chance, even the slightest doubt that I might not be able to do anything to punish them after I’ve already moved in and there’s a chance I won’t be able to do anything from the position once they’re not punishable anymore, UpB is nearly unstoppable.

For the most part, the right spacing and the right moment to shield or attack upon approaching can lead to utilt, ftilt, grab, jab or fair and if those don’t get them, a Dsmash or Usmash instead of safe attacks probably will. The risk vs reward is good and it’s not very risky with proper shielding and UpB to back up the safe approach. I take my chances because of Bowser’s safety nets but don’t overdo it.

There are many characters that rely on spacing and walls, these are the characters that Bowser does well against. When he’s right up in Lucario’s face, Lucario doesn’t have much. When he’s right up in Donkey Kong’s face, DK doesn’t have much. Let these characters space their attacks to wall Bowser out and it’s tough but if Bowser is hopping around them, Link, ROB, Pit and the characters like them, he’s going to get openings and with good use of these openings, Bowser will get inside and crush them.

Characters like Wario and Toon Link can be played very similarly. If Bowser is in the air with them hopping around and attacking them up there with F-air, B-air, U-air and Klaw, they’ll have trouble spacing and with constant movement, their spacing will be way off. Bowser covers more area than Wario and is faster in the air than Toon Link. I use what they don’t have to mess with what they do have and try to change their game for the worse and make them play my game. I like to Full Jump Firebreath sometimes against them because it does a good trap on many aerial characters. They can’t get away in time without jumping, and they’ll jump right into it.

Some characters can camp pretty well with a good close up game too. Toon Link is like that but he’s also aerial and that’s where you can take him best. Samus can space well and almost camps with her long reaching moves but if Bowser can get inside and around her, her close up game wont be able to compete with his. She’ll naturally try and stay away but to get kills she needs to be close and if I get right in her face from the start, by the time she can get the kill, she’ll be ready for me to finish off too. And Bowser can finish her much easier than she can finish Bowser. I play high pressure and go all out on all of the above type of characters, it’s Bowser’s game.

The Diddy match up is another one that can be difficult but it’s really very simple. I UpB a lot because he’ll be near me a lot, DownB kills cause he’ll always try to follow Bowser into the air after his typical dash attacks, and I KH around his bananas. Chances are he’ll spam peanuts to stop approaches and run away a lot to re-space banana approaches, so I just chase him, he can’t do much to Bowser anyway. When I get a banana and make him trip, they are punished hard. When he has no bananas, the best advice possible for Bowser would be, “get him!” and Diddy could easily lose a stock with too much pressure and no bananas against a big and fast character that hits hard.

The other type of characters that can cause trouble for Bowser have to be handled differently but are still very manageable. Characters, like Snake, want to have others hop around them. Though Snake doesn’t thrive off of that, it’s just something that others do to fight Snake when they don’t know how. Snake needs characters to stay away and then he goes in for the kill. There isn’t a lot of Bowser’s high pressure game that can be used as it becomes a patience and baiting game so Snake can’t go in to kill. Firebreath and Klaw can do a lot of damage to Snake, but Snake can do it right back.

Matches like this are difficult for Bowser but I won’t go to him because I don’t have to. He throws the grenades, I go closer, I shoot fire, he has to come closer. These matches are very doable, just not with the high pressure play that’s ideal for Bowser because it doesn’t really have an effect on the likes of Snake. I always move fast and constantly though, that’s important against all campers from Olimar to Falco, who also can be beat with high pressure play if they don’t stop you.

I usually look at my opponent for choosing a stage but I like Battlefield and Lylat for their small distances between platforms and Pictochat against bigger characters because of the high ceiling that lets me live forever but still stay easy to kill others off of.

That’s how I win with Bowser.
Bowser + Patience > Campers (I don’t rush at them, they want that and I don’t do it)
Bowser + High Pressure > Spacers + Speedsters + Aerialness (I take their game away with my own speed, aerial mobility and size)

How I Beat Bowser:
Bowser needs to move around, space well and approach to be effective. So the only things that could take that away from Bowser are either hopping around better than him or taking away his ability to hop around. It’s not campers that give Bowser trouble, as all of them have a way to be worked around and most of them don’t so much thrive off of high pressure opponents but can simply deal with it well.

The problem for Bowser really comes in those who are essentially the opposite of campers. Not so much high pressure characters without projectiles which means literally the opposite of camping, but those who actually thrive off of characters that hop around and play that way because they can do it better or take it away. Characters that either can’t approach but (1) want to be approached, (2) force approaches and counter the approaches or (3) have such a good pressure game that other pressure games fall just short.

I like to use Kirby or Ness to play against Bowser and it works pretty much every time. Kirby can’t approach, therefore, the opponent approaching is pretty much the sum of every match. Bowser doesn’t have to approach Kirby and probably shouldn’t but it’ll happen because Kirby actually wont since he can’t. He can out space Kirby with tilts and aerials so that’s not where the problem is.

Bowser has trouble killing Kirby. It’s a little weird but true. Bowser needs to take chances to get the kill on Kirby and because Kirby can’t approach and his close up game is so strong, every chance Bowser takes will either be successful or result in massive damaging combos early and fsmash or usmash kills later.

Kirby can finish Bowser earlier than most characters and rack up damage faster than almost any if Bowser tries to finish him too soon. Bowser needs to keep moving and spacing, forcing Kirby to avoid playing the ground game and risk coming into the air where Bowser can beat Kirby in almost every way. Spacing and aerial capitalization are Bowser’s tools in this match but it’s in Kirby’s control whether he falls for the bait or not. A Kirby that understands this will almost never take the bait. I don’t anymore and until the Bowser’s stop trying to force smashes and Boozer Bombs at me, the games will be combo filled in my favor. Grad releases have saved Bowser from complete loss here.

Ness has aerial abilities that beat Bowser’s, much like Bowser beats Kirby in the air. This forces Bowser to play the ground game and space again. It’s difficult to space Ness from the ground as his aerial game is so quick and strong but if Bowser forces his own air game in, he’ll get punished for it. Bowser has to keep moving, any pauses early will lead to major damage and Ness can gimp Bowser very well. I avoid PKT and PKF at all costs. If Ness goes into the air close to me, I go ahead and attack him but I don’t rush him in the air myself. I don’t stay still and don’t move too close in the air. When I’m Ness, I can stay moving with Bowser and always make Bowser move first and for the worst.

Other match ups that Bowser’s can struggle with are the high pressure characters that can out move Bowser but also finish him off early enough. Fox is simply too fast for Bowser to handle. Again, with spacing, Bowser can deal serious damage and get even early kills but Fox doesn’t have to get hit. Multiple hits on his D-air and F-air and lasting N-air with his aerial speed can really mess with Bowser’s approach and air game and his juggling with tilts and aerials can bring Bowser into dangerous places and percent really fast. Basically Bowser just has to run, but not too far or he’ll just get lasers to his big target.

He needs to stay back and SH F-airs and make sure he stays away when he can or he’ll get juggled by something or Usmashed. Fox’s pressure game beats Bowser’s because of the speed but that can be overcome if Bowser has the patience and keeps baiting him. A patient Fox player that knows how to be efficient with chances is a deadly one for Bowser but it’s still winnable with a patient and defensive Bowser.

Last but not least, Luigi is a good pick and Bowser has to play safe and space defensively to win. The best thing Bowser can do against Luigi is run and space which is easier to do against Luigi than it is Fox but Luigi can punish any mistake way more and combo better than Mario, who is also tough for Bowser. Run from Luigi and space feint attacks or it’ll be a quick match.

For stages to beat Bowser, I usually go Delfino Plaza. Who I pick depends on the player because it’s a good stage for both Kirby and Ness but it’s a bad stage for Bowser. Bowser has no use for the water, go through stage or short killzones and it works against him in these match ups. If I don’t counter pick a stage, Fox and Luigi are as good as Kirby and Ness too. Though I seem to have long matches when I’m Fox and Kirby against a Bowser because I don’t give Bowser any chances to get a good hit on me and the actual good Bowser’s wont try the big hits on me after they get punished for them a few times.

That’s how I beat Boozer.
Ness + Kirby > Bowser (I survive by staying grounded and make Kirby/let Ness go in the air, spacing is all Bowser has but I don’t force kills, I play safe and wait for their mistakes)

NOW

What can I do better? What am I doing right? What else can I do?

TEACH ME!

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
copied from AiB

first off, on the dk thing, dk actually does do well on the inside, jabs to either grabs or dtilts works wonders, they have high priority, and set up for deadly moves

on the bowser part. more grabs, the grab release is big, and on characters who aren't really affected by it like zamus, dk, wolf, and fox, bowser still has a very good tech chase game with his dthrow. chasing them with firebreath is very useful since, if they shield it, it's pretty much guaranteed to hit, firebreath if they do a get up attack, or if they roll away (jumping fire). dsmash can also punish rolls towards you

more jabs, it's pretty much better than ftilt for almost everything

more dtilt, the thing kills very early, especially characters with crap recovery like ike and ganon

have your cake and eat it too - shielding cancels to upb on frame one, you can shield and upb, you don't have to decide on which to use

fsmash moar - i'm dead serious, great against people who rely on running attacks. if they approach, and you know its gonna barely reach you, and leave them open (falcos running attack is a great example) fsmash, the drawback will dodge most moves, makes landing it quite easy, eats dash-grabs too

also, dsmash is great for eating rolls, and sideb/dsmash oos are both useful

you should mention that uair has almost no lag, you can double jump and do two uairs and a fair before you hit the ground, most people don't expect it.

and if they're coming in level with the stage, fair works great. bowsers got a strong gimp game, don't be afraid to go for gimps

moar upb - you can never go wrong with upb

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
copied from AiB

first off, on the dk thing, dk actually does do well on the inside, jabs to either grabs or dtilts works wonders, they have high priority, and set up for deadly moves

on the bowser part. more grabs, the grab release is big, and on characters who aren't really affected by it like zamus, dk, wolf, and fox, bowser still has a very good tech chase game with his dthrow. chasing them with firebreath is very useful since, if they shield it, it's pretty much guaranteed to hit, firebreath if they do a get up attack, or if they roll away (jumping fire). dsmash can also punish rolls towards you

more jabs, it's pretty much better than ftilt for almost everything

more dtilt, the thing kills very early, especially characters with crap recovery like ike and ganon

have your cake and eat it too - shielding cancels to upb on frame one, you can shield and upb, you don't have to decide on which to use

fsmash moar - i'm dead serious, great against people who rely on running attacks. if they approach, and you know its gonna barely reach you, and leave them open (falcos running attack is a great example) fsmash, the drawback will dodge most moves, makes landing it quite easy, eats dash-grabs too

also, dsmash is great for eating rolls, and sideb/dsmash oos are both useful

you should mention that uair has almost no lag, you can double jump and do two uairs and a fair before you hit the ground, most people don't expect it.

and if they're coming in level with the stage, fair works great. bowsers got a strong gimp game, don't be afraid to go for gimps

moar upb - you can never go wrong with upb
I find that UpB with Bowser tends to take away any close game DK can have (dtilt, jab, grab) but those are good things for DK yes. Bowser also has the jabs and grabs. In the air, Bowser is better close up but that won't happen often in the match up.

I like the tech chase with Firebreath. I remember doing it by accident once and it was awesome but never really bothered doing it. I'll for sure do that, thanks. Dsmash out of tech chase is one of my faves.

Jab is my most used move with Bowser I think. I jab at almost everything. Whenever I'm between attacks/movements, I jab.

More dtilt? I'll try that. I usually just use it out of Grab Releases but I suppose using it elsewhere could be good.

Shield and UpB...good call. I'm too used to just UpB or shielding for a bit before UpB.

The thing I don't like about fsmash is that it never works on me so I figure it wont work on others when they're used to fighting Bowsers. I could probably use it more and it would probably land more, so I could do that, but I know that the better players wont fall for it that way.

I should use more dsmash in general. Shield dsmash is something I don't do and probably should get used to.

I should spam more Uair! lol

I like Bair for gimps more but Fair is good too yeah.

UpB > almost everything.

I'll update the OP with some of this soon. And make it easier to read cause I find it sort of cramped XD

@Popertop: yay! =D

Hyrus

Smash Journeyman
Is yours cute in Barlw too? I never got to see his cutziness
While some folks appreciate the cute and cuddly, I find myself with a different perspective. Turtles smell, they carry disease, and occasionally breath fire.

The guide has a lot of effort simply through the word count, but it isn't all that well categorized. You have very broad sections where i'd have to cover a lot of ground to read up on a specific technique.

A section on Diminishing Returns would be helpful (for just about any character guide out there, really). For instance, Firebreath, regardless for how long it is channeled, only triggers DR once if hit hits an opponent during a single channel. Even if you only do 1% damage, that 1% just refreshed all your other moves one increment from a safe range.

Great effort!

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
The guide has a lot of effort simply through the word count, but it isn't all that well categorized. You have very broad sections where i'd have to cover a lot of ground to read up on a specific technique.

A section on Diminishing Returns would be helpful (for just about any character guide out there, really). For instance, Firebreath, regardless for how long it is channeled, only triggers DR once if hit hits an opponent during a single channel. Even if you only do 1% damage, that 1% just refreshed all your other moves one increment from a safe range.

Great effort!
Yeah I just kind of through this together. I plan to sort it into catagories or whatever eventually.

Regarding the DR thing. That's exactly what this isn't for. Just like a match up chart or whatever, it can have its own statistical thread. This is for the non-statistical aspect of the character actually contributes to metagame.

Thanks, I try =D

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Basic Bowser Compendium - Dragon Turtle Deluxe!!

The Basic Bowser Compendium - Dragon Turtle Deluxe Edition

Table Of Contents
Section I. The Moves
Section II. Special Moves (includes Koopahopping)
Section III. Jab Canceling
Section IV. Grab Release
Section V. Faux Combos
Section VI. Starting Combat
Section VII. Matchups (Discussion Threads)
Section VIII. Conclusion

The Beginning
In Super Smash Brothers Melee, several new characters were added into the repertoire of fighting characters of the Smash franchise. The new additions included Zelda/Sheik, Roy, Marth, Young Link, Doctor Mario, Peach, Mewtwo, Pichu, Mr. Game and Watch, and last, but definitley not least, the great and terrible Bowser.

Bowser was quickly characterized as a strong, slow character, and the first impression was right. His attacks had tremendous lag but did an alarming amount of damage. If it weren't for L-cancelling, then, well... Let's not get into that.

In Brawl

In Brawl, Bowser has had a number of changes made to him and his attacks. Not only is he bigger, he's heavier, too; not too mention faster in both speed and attacks. However, he still is the biggest character in the game, and as such suffers from several speed handicaps placed by other, smaller characters. But many additions like increased range and priority on his moves make him able to stand up to even the most speedy opponent.

Section I. The Moves

All of Bowser's moves are strong; no doubt about that. But, like everyone elses', they have their own little quirks to them and even downfalls.

MP is the max percent the move will cause without stale move negation.
KP is the max kill percent of the move without stale move negation.

Jab

MP - 10%, with both hits
KP - 200+% (only the second jab)
Bowser's jab is a standard two hit jab, it does decent damage, and comes out relatively quick, has decent "get off me" knockback, and is wonderful to set up other attacks, also known as jab cancels (more on that in a later section.)As you'll see later, the jab is a godesend that you'll find yourself using plenty of times.

Forward Tilt

MP - 11%
KP - Around 160% or less
The forward tilt is highly upgraded from Melee. In Melee, Bowser shyly stuck out a knuckle to attack you, with next to no range. In Brawl, however, Bowser shoves a humongous Koopa Fist right into your face. This is an amazing attack, with good range, damage, and knockback. Apparently, it out ranges Marth's forward air (lolwut). Forward tilt can also be angled up or down, affecting who you can hit with it.

Down Tilt

MP - 25% both hits, 14% for first only.
KP - About 125%
Ah, the down tilt. It's really, really good for killing in Brawl. Srsly. Sadly, the thing is that the second hit of the down tilt will rarely hit unless the enemy is at 0% or really really heavy, lul. But, the fact remains that the down tilt has epic range and power, being a main killing move for me. It may be hard to hit with at first, but it gets into habit after a while.

Up Tilt

MP - 12%
KP - About 100-120%
Bowser's up tilt is really good in speed, power, and damage, but the only flaw is that it hits above and behind him, and has a very small hitbox in front of him. To counter this, you must "aim" the up tilt backwards to hit someone in front, or alternatively attempt to juggle them in the air with it.
I find it worthy to note that this move is pure ecstasy on stages like Lylat Cruise, Corneria, and Battlefield, due to the low ceilings of Lylat Cruise and Corneria and the platforms on Battlefield.

Down Smash (Dragoomba Smash)

MP - 21%
KP - About 100% uncharged, around 60-70% fully charged
Bowser's down smash is not as great as it could be. It's good and all, especially for trapping rollers and side steppers. When you get hit by the first hit, it sucks you in into the rest of the attack, resulting in 21% and decent knockback. The only things keeping this attack down are its terrible ending lag and generally bad reach. OTher than that, it's so-so.

Up Smash

MP - 20% uncharged, 28% fully charged
KP - about 90% uncharged, 50% fully charged.
Bowser's up smash is toooo good on levels with platforms, like Battlefield or Lylat Cruise. It kills pretty early, and damage is good. Another nice thing about it is that if someone spot dodge the inital hop, they'll probably be hit by the second hit box; Bowser's landing. It's not as strong, but it's really good for them pesky dodgers.

Forward Smash

MP - 10 for the first hit, 23%for the second hit for a total of 33% (uncharged); 14for the first hit, 32% for the second hit for a total of 46% (fully charged)
KP - Around 85% uncharged, 40% fully charged
The forward smash is the best attack in the game. Period. Decent startup time, epic damage, and godly knockback. Punish people on the ledge with good timing, and you're on your way to being pro. (lul) Srsly, this attack is like the manly way of shield grabbing, primarily because you can avoid attacks with gangsta lean at the startup of the attack, a pretty cool way to dodge a good spacer.

Neutral Air

MP - 13%
KP - Around 175%
Bowser's second worst aerial. =/ Not much to say... Only time i use it is to punish air dodgers, but thats a job better left to up air.

Back air

MP - 15%
KP - Around 140%
My second favorite aerial. Good damage, good knockback, and good range, A very solid aerial, the only problem is that its lag is tremendous. Avoid using it in a short hop, try full hopping it when necessary. But the fact remains, use it often!

Up air

MP - 17%
KP - 85% whilst near ground
Bowser's strongest aerial, a guaranteed kill at around 70-80% on most characters. It's fast, has good range, and like said before, good knockback. By now you should be familiar with that triumvirate, and as you should expect, a solid aerial.

Forward Air

MP - 12%
KP - around 150%
Bowser's staple aerial. Good damage and speed, and no lag if you autocancel it, by attacking right after you jump. It's good to keep the pressure on and a good attack in general. Use it; abuse it.

Down Air

MP - about 18-20%
KP - doesn't kill
K, as much as I hate this move, I suppose it's worthy to note that it is able to shield poke enemies when used on the ground. Though the results are only good enough to reap at about 65%+ or around there, as the stun from the move will cover your back from the landing lag.

But be terribly careful when placing this; one miss and you'll get punished. Really bad.

Dash Attack
MP - !2%
KP - Around 200+%
A fairly good move, I use it sometimes for edgeguarding, among other things; the only thing bad about it is that Bowser's has some lag after it's use, causing you to be punished if said attack is shielded or dodged. Still, it's not a bad move at all, use it, but not all the time.

Grab Pummel

MP - 2%
KP - can't kill
An average pummel, but with a rather slow attack speed. Good to use to get some extra damage before that throw.

Down throw

MP - 12%
KP - None
One of Bowser's two throws that can't kill. At all. Ever. But still, this throw does the most damage out of all of them, and since the knockback is so low and close to Bowser, you can "techchase" them with another grab, Klaw, or something else.

Up throw

MP - 10%
KP - None.
The second of Bowser's two throws that don't kill. Does decent damage, and sets them in the air for a variety of things; like up air, forward air, etc.
!!!After an up throw the enemy can attempt to DI behind you, but they'll just go directly above you.
They can make no attempt to DI, and be above you + slightly in front of you.
Or they can DI away from you, and get this weird boosted floatiness away from you (still in front of you).!!!(Thank you Havokk)

Forward throw

MP - 10%
KP - 200% or higher
One of Bowser's standard throws, it's okay, not as good as the back throw but good enough to use nonetheless. Though, you have much better options out of a grab...

Back Throw

MP - 10%
KP - 200% or higher
The best of Bowser's throws in terms of knockback, it's marginally useful when your back is to the stage and you have grabbed the enemy.

Section II. Specials/Koopahopping

Firebreath

MP - DoT, Damage over time
KP - None at all (though gimping is possible lulz)
Bowser's fire is heavily useful, as it's easy to get over 40% at one time with it alone. Not only that, but it's really good for edgeguarding. So many people get gimped by this attack stealing their second jump, and it just owns. Use it.
Probably one of the redeeming qualities of this attack is the fact you can aim it up or down, following the enemies' DI, allowing more hits for you.

Koopa Klaw

MP - 18%
KP - Around 150%
Oh. My. God. Best attack evr. Really good damage, pretty decent range, and good speed. Plus, LOL SNAKE GIMP OF DA STAGE. Side B, other than being a good kill move, it's good for damage, plus owning shields. Definitely one of the best moves Bowser has is this move, use it well and wisely. Also can be used for Koopahopping.

Koopahopping is an example of ISJR, or infinite second jump recovery. You can infinitly regain your second jump after using Koopa Klaw before hitting the ground and pressing jump. The Koopahop can be used to increase aerial maneuverability, as each hop has enough frames to fit in one aerial plus another Koopa Klaw to continue the hop.

Not only with aerials is this useful, however; it has a handy application for mindgames as hopping over your enemy and Koopa Klawing them from behind, giving you a free 18% on them.

Bowser Bomb

MP - 24% used on ground, 20% in air.
KP - around 95%
One of Bowser's more laggier and predictable moves, but also one of the strongest. It is pretty much a guaranteed kill at around 90, and when used with a jab cancel, is almost guaranteed to hit.
The first hit of the Bowser Bomb knocks the enemy into the air, and then attacks with the brunt of the hit.
Note: The Bowser Bomb can be cancelled midway through the attack is used close enough to the ledge; while Bowser falls, he will instantly grab the ledge, reducing any lag and preventing a suicide. Bowser retains the hitbox of the move until he grabs the ledge, making for an invaluable edgehog/edgeguard.

Whirling Fortress

MP - 2 hits on ground = 16%, 9 hits in air = 31%
KP - about 135%

Just kidding. Obviously one of Bowser's best moves, and one of the only reasons Bowser was good in Melee. It does good damage, it's a good recovery option, and has invincibility frames on start up on the ground. You can use it directly out of shielding, countering anyone who may attack your shield. I stress this; use this attack ALL THE TIME. Practice getting into the habit of using it out of shield at all times. This move will save your *** many times, and people will be pissed off at you. Isn't that worth it?

Bowser In-Depth
Section III. Jab Canceling
Jab cancelling is an action many characters can perform, including Pit, Charizard, Sheik, Mario, Luigi, and various others. But the one we're going to concentrate on is Bowser; Bowser can jab cancel into several attacks.

A jab cancel is performed by jabbing once, holding down on the control stick for a split second, and performing the desired action after the jab, such as another jab, for instance. Some jab cancels include:

Jab1 > Forward Tilt
Jab1 > Down Tilt
Jab1 > Whirling Fortress
Jab1 > Koopa Klaw
Jab1 > Bowser Bomb
Jab1 > Grab

Jab cancelling options are great, and some sort of.. "combos" can be achieved if jab cancelled correctly.

Section IV. Grab Releases
A grab release occurs when you grab somebody, but you do not throw them. Instead, they escape from the grab either on the ground or in the air. Bowser can do many attacks to opponents after such a grab release, and a compilation of all the possible attacks available on each character, specifically. The following is a quote from Vex Kasrani, on his summary of Bowser's grab releases.
I did alot of testing and came up with many grab release's for Bowser, I in no way, copied grab release stuff from other threads, that being said. I'm still adding data, but I have alot of info right now. Characters like Metaknight and Olimar cannot ground escape from Bowser's grabs, they can only jump escape his grabs, however, if Bowser is grab jabbing the opponent and they try to escape as they're getting hit by jabs then they will ground escape from his grab. This applies for ALL characters.

Jump Grab Release: When a character breaks out of a grab jumping.
Ground Grab Release: When a character breaks out of a grab on the ground.

Allisbrawl

[Jump Grab Release]

* means a character can only jump escape.

Bowser

Grab release chaingrab
Grab release dash attack
Grab release overb

Captain Falcon

Grab release chaingrab
Grab release dash attack
Grab release fair going offstage.

Charizard

Grab release chaingrab
Grab release dash attack
Grab release fair

Diddy Kong

Grab release chaingrab
Grab release dash attack
Grab release fair

Donkey Kong

Grab release chaingrab
Grab release dash attack
Grab release overb
Grab release fair

Falco

Grab release chaingrab
Grab release dash attack
Grab release overb
Grab release fair going offstage

Fox

nothing

Ganondorf

Grab release chaingrab
Grab release dash attack
Grab release overb
Grab release fair
Grab release upb

Ice Climbers *

Grab release overb
Grab release fair

Ike

Grab release chaingrab
Grab release dash attack
Grab release overb
Grab release fair

Ivysaur *

Grab release overb
Grab release fair

Jigglypuff *

Grab release upair
Grab release fair
Grab release bair
Grab release upb

King Dedede

Grab release chaingrab
Grab release fair

Kirby *

Grab release fair

Link

Grab release chaingrab
Grab release overb

Lucario

Nothing

Lucas *

Grab release chaingrab
Grab release dash attack
Grab release fair
Grab release upb

Luigi *

Grab release overb
Grab release fair

Mario *

Grab release overb
Grab release fair

Marth

Grab release fair

Metaknight *

Grab release chaingrab
Grab release dash attack
Grab release fair
Grab release upb

Mr. Game&Watch *

Grab release overb
Grab release fair

Ness *

Grab release overb
Grab release fair

Olimar *

Grab release fair

Peach

Grab release fair

Pikachu *

Grab release chaingrab
Grab release dash attack
Grab release fair

Pit

Grab release fair

R.O.B

Grab release fair

Samus

Grab release fair

Sheik

Grab release chaingrab
Grab release fair offstage

Snake

Grab release chaingrab
Grab release dash attack
Grab release fair

Sonic

Grab release chaingrab
Grab release dash attack
Grab release fair

Squirtle *

Grab release chaingrab
Grab release dash attack
Grab release overb
Grab release fair
Grab release upb

Toon Link *

Grab release fair

Wario *

Grab release infinite chaingrab
Grab release forwardsmash
Grab release upsmash
Grab release downsmash
Grab release overb
Grab release upb
Grab release dash attack
Grab release fair
Grab release bair
Grab release nair
Grab release dair
Grab release forwardtilt
Grab release uptilt
Grab release jab

Wolf

nothing

Yoshi *

Grab release fair

Zamus

Grab release fair going offstage

Zelda

Grab release fair

[Ground Grab Release]

** means the character has to mash out as your grabbing jabbing them in order to ground release

Bowser

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release dtilt
Grab release jab

Captain Falcon

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release ftilt

Charizard

Grab release regrab
Grab release upb
Grab release overb
Grab release downb
Grab release utilt
Grab release ftilt
Grab release dtilt
Grab release jab

Diddy Kong

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release jab

Donkey Kong

Nothing

Falco

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release downb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release dtilt
Grab release jab

fox

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release downb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release dtilt
Grab release jab

Ganondorf

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release downb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release dtilt
Grab release jab

Ice Climbers**

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release downb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release dtilt
Grab release jab

Ike

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release ftilt

Ivysaur**

Grab release regrab
Grab release upb
Grab release overb
Grab release downb
Grab release utilt
Grab release ftilt
Grab release dtilt
Grab release jab

Jigglypuff**

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release jab

King Dedede

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release jab

Kirby**

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release jab

Link

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release downb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release dtilt
Grab release jab

Lucario

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release dtilt
Grab release jab

Lucas**

Grab release regrab
Grab release dash attack
Grab release upb
Grab release overb
Grab release downb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release dtilt
Grab release jab

Luigi**

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release jab

Mario**

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release dtilt
Grab release jab

Marth

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release jab

Metaknight**

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release dtilt
Grab release jab

Mr. Game&Watch**

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release jab

Ness**

Grab release regrab
Grab release dash attack
Grab release upb
Grab release overb
Grab release downb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release dtilt
Grab release jab

Olimar**

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release dtilt
Grab release jab

Peach

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release jab

Pikachu**

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release jab

Pit

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release ftilt

R.O.B

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release downb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release dtilt
Grab release jab

Samus

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release downb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release jab

Sheik

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release downb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release dtilt
Grab release jab

Snake

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release downb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release jab

Sonic

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release downb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release jab

Squirtle**

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release downb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release jab

Toon Link**

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release downb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release dtilt
Grab release jab

Wario**

Grab release regrab
Grab release upb
Grab release overb
Grab release downb
Grab release uptilt
Grab release ftilt
Grab release dtilt
Grab release jab

Wolf

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release downb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release dtilt
Grab release jab

Yoshi**

Grab release regrab

Zamus

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release jab

Zelda

Grab release regrab
Grab release overb
Grab release ftilt
Grab release jab
As you can see, Bowser can Grab Release the whole cast with some sort of attack or another.

Section V. Faux Combos
When Jab Cancels and Grab Releases are combined, many faux combos can be produced. The following are some done on characters whom you can jab after a grab release:

Grab > Jab > Grab > Jab > Koopa Klaw

Jab > Grab > Grab> Grab > Jab > Down B

Grab > Jab > Forward Tilt

Grab > Jab > Koopa Klaw

Grab > Jab > Grab > Jab > Down Tilt

Grab > Grab > Grab> moar grabs, etc > Jab > Bowser Bomb/Koopa Klaw

These are escapable (aside from the Grab Release regrabs) but that's why you should only jab cancel grab twice at the very least to prevent retaliation; even though your Klaw and grab will own any shielders.

Section VI. Combat Basics
Bowser has a certain playstyle that is needed to win. The most successful style yet is defensive. Why? Well... Here.

Bowser's Whirling Fortress (UpB) out of shield (OOS) is his primary defensive move. If they so much as hit your shield, UpBOOS their ***. IT does good damage, and "get off me" knockback. It can be used to counter anything thrown at your shield.

Though UpBOOS is a very good option, you might decide to mix it up a bit; maybe with some grab releases?

An alternative to UpB would very much be a shield grab, like if they land right in front of you, open for a grab. You can then lead of the grab release into a jab cancel, Koopa Klaw or a throw. Thus leading into faux combos and follow ups.

But defensive Bowser is not the only option, not at all. The alternative is, obviously, and offensive Bowser. This is where all of your aerials come in handy. SHLFAir (short hop lagless forward air) will be your staple damage builder here. Use it often, while advancing and retreating.

When your opponent is off the stage, edgeguard with your strongest aerials. These include back air, forward air, and up air (neutral air too, I guess.). Since Bowser's recovery is pretty decent, you can usually edgeguard without worry so long as you don't go too far below the ledge.

But by far a mix up of defense and offense is the best to go. When your opponent gets a litttle too aggressive, punish him with UpBOOS or a shield grab to grab release. When he starts to get a little more patient, try approaching with a retresting FAir, and if he trys to react, punish him for it.

Don't forget that your Koopa Klaw does a whopping 18% undiminished; that's a real good damage builder early on. Also: when you perform the Koopa Klaw on an enemy, you can jump afterwards after the little hop you recieve; you can try chaining this into another koopa Klaw, or try and ambush the enemy with fire (though risky). This will rack up damage well and set up for other aerials. Not only that, but the Koopa Klaw goes through shields like a regular grab. Thus, shield happy people will get ***** by this attack.

Also on Koopa Klaw: SNAKE GIMP IN AIR LOLOL
Aka, when Snake is on his cypher Koopa Klaw him and aim towards the Cypher. The cypher will knock you out of the attack and Snake will not be able to use his Cypher again, leaving him to die (or grab the edge if he was too close).

Wavebouncing/Neutral B Reversing/Wavefire:

Good. Truly good for mindgaemz, and really simple. Basically, neutral B reversing is doing your neutral B move (aka Firebreath) in the opposite direction you're facing. All that's required is pressing B (or your special move button) and the direction you want to perform fire in with the control stick. But when you perform this in the air, it's a little more cooler. When jumping in one direction, and neutral B reverse in the opposite direction of where you jumped, you'll move backwards while breathing fire. This is pretty good for mindgames, as said. and is overall very good.

Section VII. Bowser's Matchups (both people and characters)

Bowser's matchups aren't too terrible (I'm looking at you Captain Falcon), in fact, their pretty decent compared to Melee. However, Bowser has a very hard time with projectiles. Diddy, Falco, Toon Link, and even Link can all offer trouble to Bowser in the forms of projectile spam. This is where patience comes in to play: be patient against spammers, don't zerg rush them, as that is what they want you to do. Instead be patient with them and attack when the opening reveals itself.

The specific matchup thread can be found here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=211975

Or alternatively: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=202683

Section VIII. Conclusion
Basically, what I'm trying to say is Bowser is a very good character with many things going for him, and can hold his own against the top tiers (except D3 with infinite lol). When basic Bowser play is combined with his grab releases and jab cancels, he becomes an unstoppable tank.

Lolcredits:

Dragoomba, for getting me the pictures soon to come.
Vex Krasani for making an epic grab release guide.
Me14k and the rest of Team Monster Biscuit, for making the wonderful moveset guide with specific percents on damage (im too lazy to find it myself lulz)
Havokk, for assissting me with incorrect information.
And all of the Bowser mains out there for supporting such an awesome character.

I will be sure to be diligent to add new things, edit anything misleading, and give credit where credit is due, just send a private message my way and I'll be sure to add you in.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Thanks, gonna add in a table of contents tomorrow. Thanks for the compliments.

EDIT: I just went ahead and added the table of contents now. Got it out of the way, lulz.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
"Up throw
MP - 10%
KP - None.
The second of Bowser's two throws that don't kill. Does decent damage, and sets them in the air for a variety of things; like up air, forward air, etc.
!!!The enemy can not DI out of Bowser's up throw, meaning they can only go forward, or land straight in front of Bowser!!!"

No.

They can attempt to DI behind you, but they'll just go directly above you.
They can make no attempt to DI, and be above you + slightly in front of you.
Or they can DI away from you, and get this weird boosted floatiness away from you (still in front of you)

Get all your data correct.

1 :mewtwo: 373 Created using PokeScript - by Havokk

Top Bottom