• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox Match-Up General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
I'm not sure if anyone has brought this up but if Pit shoots an arrow and fox reflects it and then Pit reflects it with his Mirror shield after a while That arrow will break through Fox's reflector and can end up doing around 60 damage. So if this happens make sure you jump away from the arrow because it can 1 hit KO you.
I'm not sure if anoyone has brought this up but if you keep running into Fox's Rapid A attack while holding your shield your shield will get broken and then Fox will Usmash you and this can 1 hit KO you, so be careful.

I find these two situations to be just as likely.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
I find these two situations to be just as likely.
Well I dunno... I mean... hey... we all like to have fun sometimes huh? You know... heh... it's like only 1 stock anyways, and your reflector just goes badoopsh...

And anyways, I at least appreciate your effort to contribute AfroPony, but most of us already know of this, and some of us think it shouldn't be worth even mentioning because it does not progress match-up discussion any further talking about situations that rarely happen and can be easily avoided.

I see that effort though.

M@v

Subarashii!
Ok. We are putting this as 5:5 for now. We can always revisit it, but there is something more important I want to get to. I feel that the Zero Suit Samus matchup needs a revisit. I have been debating with several people, and we all agree the dsmash is not as bad as believed to be. I know Fenrir is one of the people who also believes this, so start posting. We also realized that besides the Dsmash, ZSS has....well....not that much on fox. We had ratios coming down as far as 35:65 ZSS, compared to the 20:80 carnage. This matchup may not be one of fox's worst after all.

ZSS re-analyzation. GO

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Here's some old stuff I wrote like a month or so ago from the FBR.

Xiivi said:
Fox vs MK/Marth/G&W: These are all disadvantages due to Fox's inability to deal with zoning at a mid range. If Fox's opponent remains a distance such that Fox cannot safely laser, yet far enough away that they can throw out walls, Fox becomes limited. Fox doesn't have the priority needed to deal with moves such as G&W's b-air. Fox's best option is to dash away and then dash back in during any cool down or lag the opponent may have rather than attempt to challenge them in priority. However these characters all have frame traps to zone Fox. Fox's fresh upsmash will kill at the following percents for them when correctly DIed on neutral stages (Battlefield, FD, Smashville, etc... all have near-equal ceilings): MK: 95%, G&W: 92%, Marth: 102%. If an opponent starts to play definsive with zoning near these percents, then trade off with up-smash. Example: You can trade G&W's bair with Upsmash if you space correctly (which is hard if G&W is spacing you as well). Fox has lots of risks in these match-ups. I'm leaning towards MK 30:70, Marth & G&W 35:65 at the moment.

Pikachu, Sheik, and ZSS: Fox's worst 3 match-ups. All have the best capabilities to exploit Fox's falling speed.
Pikachu: At 0% Pikachu can chainthrow Fox. Many people downthrow with Pikachu into an upsmash resulting in around 84% if done correctly. However, what's an even better exploitation is slowly moving towards the edge with the chainthrow, and at the edge ending the chainthrow with a n-air. This sets up Fox for a kill rather than upsmash which does not set up for a kill unless Fox poorly DIs and lets himself get hit by thunder. Overall, it's a glaring disadvantage and Fox does not have the options to avoid being grabbed by Pikachu.
ZSS: I'd say this is the easiest of the three. At 0% ZSS's downsmash can be used to combo Fox 0-death legitmately. ZSS can continue the downsmash chain until a percentage where bair will kill. However, what makes this match-up the easiest, is the fact Fox does have the ability to avoid ZSS's downsmash. Fox can manevour around ZSS much better than she can manevour around you and set up a downsmash. However if she does land a downsmash below 35%, it's a stock, so it's a fairly disadvantage position for Fox and he does have to limit himself some to avoid it.
Sheik: At 0%, Sheik's forward tilt can be DIed down and you can sheild before Sheik can continue the lock. At around 35% Sheik can then initiate the f-tilt lock. If both Fox and Sheik do their parts perfectly, Fox can escape at about 70%. The best option for Sheik is to hit Fox with an up-tilt at this time, putting Fox at a percent where she can then do 1 f-tilt to tippered up-smash for a kill. So basically Sheik's plan of action is to get 35%, then land a forward tilt and combo, then land a second f-tilt and kill. Also, Sheik can edgeguard and gimp Fox just as well as Fox can do to her.
Upsmash Kill percents: Pikachu: 98% Sheik: 97% ZSS: 98%
I'd but the match-ups at: Pika: 20:80, Sheik: 25:75:, ZSS: 30:70

Zhamy

Smash Champion
I agree, I feel kinda bad for the Fox's that have to take on Sheiks, but it's payback for their Superiority in Melee! xD
25%-death combo on an unwary Fox :D
What. That has nothing to do with ZSS.

I feel that the Zero Suit Samus matchup needs a revisit. I have been debating with several people, and we all agree the dsmash is not as bad as believed to be.
After playing the matchup more, I have to say that I agree. Landing that Dsmash infinite isn't nearly as easy as it sounds below 35%. If we consider the other tools she has, then it's still in ZSS's favor, but you should be CPing this matchup anyway.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Well when I play ZZS I never had a problem. I guess the ZZS I played is worth metioning Tapion (he is worth metioning right?) Anyways, they seem to relie on Dsmash. So I usually bait them to use it and they miss they are open. Not to metion that she is very light. She also seems to eat SH Fair. But then again we should get some ZZS mainers in here. I'll post there.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Pika: 20:80
Hmm... for Pikachu though you forget to mention you have a hard time approaching, because Pikachu can out prioritize you well.

I haven't yet fought a good ZSS player recently, but my friend mained her for a while. I agree it's not so easy from them to land the d-smash chain, but she does have a lot of range that can screw up your approaches and combo you to boot.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Hmm... for Pikachu though you forget to mention you have a hard time approaching, because Pikachu can out prioritize you well.

I haven't yet fought a good ZSS player recently, but my friend mained her for a while. I agree it's not so easy from them to land the d-smash chain, but she does have a lot of range that can screw up your approaches and combo you to boot.
its true she has alot of range, but perfect shielding and SH airdodging usually leaves alot of her spacing moves punishable, she has a good amount of cooldown on alot of her moves, and if you know how to get around them, fox is fast enough that he can punish them. i really don't think this matchup is as bad as it looks on paper.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
After going to CH 4.5 I am 100% sure that Zero Suit Samus is effing amazing.

Snakeee's Zero Suit 3 stocked dmbrandon MK on BF so hard in friendlies. Like I thing a really good ZZS would always come up above a really good Fox. The combo's are insane.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Yeah was he kind of like this guy?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FLq2Kl4jH0&feature=related

As you could see those pieces of armor can lead to major damage and quick kills if you're not darn careful. Also ZSS has many options to get you into that d-smash as well. For example, be careful approaching from the air because she can up-b spike you, or if you're coming from the ground be prepared to power shield or spot-dodge if she tries to grab, side-b, or neutral b stun you. It can just be such a pain to get into combo range with her, or even gimp due to her rather quick tether recovery and down-b dodge/spike.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I linked ZZS mainers here to help us out because we are seeming to get off topic and at a stuck point.

Edit: I didnt notice last couple of posts.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
we got off topic cause our Foxs brains are fried to that mush Krystal makes for breakfast. on topic yes Zamus does have many a ways to get you into the Dsmash.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
Yeah was he kind of like this guy?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FLq2Kl4jH0&feature=related

As you could see those pieces of armor can lead to major damage and quick kills if you're not darn careful. Also ZSS has many options to get you into that d-smash as well. For example, be careful approaching from the air because she can up-b spike you, or if you're coming from the ground be prepared to power shield or spot-dodge if she tries to grab, side-b, or neutral b stun you. It can just be such a pain to get into combo range with her, or even gimp due to her rather quick tether recovery and down-b dodge/spike.
I would say yes, but I think Snakeee is better. Probably because I haven't seen Claw in person. I remember when I played him he completely overwhelmed me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBzCHwiSroU

This is 2 matches of Snakeee vs M2K. Good watch.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Well when I play ZZS I never had a problem. I guess the ZZS I played is worth metioning Tapion (he is worth metioning right?) Anyways, they seem to relie on Dsmash. So I usually bait them to use it and they miss they are open. Not to metion that she is very light. She also seems to eat SH Fair. But then again we should get some ZZS mainers in here. I'll post there.
First of all its ZSS not ZZS. ;)

Anyway before I start I would like to add that from all my lurking I have the impression that you really can't rely on match up experience to say what works or not even if you play against a really good ZSS.

Now back to your point, I don't think SH fair is a very good move against ZSS. For one it lacks efficient range against her aerials, two it causes you to sort of float in the air a bit (right?) and that is like perfect side B opportunity for ZSS and three since ZSS is very floaty she would be able to DI out before it does a lot of damage.

Our light weight makes it easy for you to kill us with that u-smash, however approaching us, you have to stay grounded. Since we definitely will beat you from above (so not a lot of dair) but your other viable aerial approach, nair, will probably be your best aerial approach. However it is very shield grabbable so don't be predictable.

its true she has alot of range, but perfect shielding and SH airdodging usually leaves alot of her spacing moves punishable, she has a good amount of cooldown on alot of her moves, and if you know how to get around them, fox is fast enough that he can punish them. i really don't think this matchup is as bad as it looks on paper.
This is not necessarily true. These are what I consider to be her spacing move, sideB, neutral B and d-smash. All of these have very low cooldown, only neutral B has cooldown that you can punish and that's only if you perfect shielded the shot right in front of her which shouldn't be happening.

Yes, Perfect shielding is good however it won't effectively result in punishment 100% of the time against ZSS. If you PS a perfectly spaced sideB you still have to run in and hit her and by that time she can do whatever she wants, same story with a spaced d-smash. Neutral B is probably the only thing that you will be able to punish on a consistent basis, otherwise only if the ZSS player makes a mistake after you PS her spacing moves will you be able to punish her for it. Basically PS'ing is only a means to apply pressure on a ZSS. (PS'ing improperly spaced attacks is of course a different story)

gantrain05

Smash Master
you won't always be beating us from below. fox has the agility to get a Dair combo in before Zamus can react to it, she really doesn't have many options for punishing an approach at a 45 degree angle, most of her attacks are strait in front or strait above her, unless your thinking about going up into the air to challenge fox, which in that case its already too late because fox is going to be in position to hit you when he jumps, he's not gonna SH at you from halfway across final d.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Anyway before I start I would like to add that from all my lurking I have the impression that you really can't rely on match up experience to say what works or not even if you play against a really good ZSS.
Actually, matchup experience is just as useful as "theorysmashing." That's what friendlies and whatnot are for - to develop new tactics and ideas and all that jazz. Granted, many people who try to base it solely off of matchup experience are quite often wrong, because they judge playstyles, not actual quality of the moves against each other, spacing, and general ability of each character against each other.

Now back to your point, I don't think SH fair is a very good move against ZSS. For one it lacks efficient range against her aerials, two it causes you to sort of float in the air a bit (right?) and that is like perfect side B opportunity for ZSS and three since ZSS is very floaty she would be able to DI out before it does a lot of damage.
Fox would never jump in with an SH Fair. You'll usually see this as a followup from Dthrow or bad DI against some other move, or a gimmick mindgame. There is no reason Fox should be approaching (ZSS, of all characters) with a Fair.

Our light weight makes it easy for you to kill us with that u-smash, however approaching us, you have to stay grounded.
Fox doesn't have to approach in this matchup. Lasers and reflector beat out ZSS's wonky little blaster stunny thing on most stages, unless they're horribly cramped and small.

Yes, Perfect shielding is good however it won't effectively result in punishment 100% of the time against ZSS. If you PS a perfectly spaced sideB you still have to run in and hit her and by that time she can do whatever she wants, same story with a spaced d-smash.
Depends on where you PS from, and most of the time, ZSS won't[/b] be able to react that quickly. Unless you have godly spacing and hit only with the very tip of each of those moves every time, a sliding shield or a PS will get you past easily.

Fox mains: SLIDING SHIELDS ARE GOOD. USE THEM MORE IF YOU HAVE TO CLOSE IN ON AN OPPONENT.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Yeah 45 degree angles seem the best way to be approaching, but what I'm worried about is her offense. Her glide toss is amazing, so I would suggest shine stalling in the beginning of match, then immediately air-dodge if she goes for an up-b or up-smash. I still think this is one heck of a match for Fox, but it isn't as bad as stated before. I would say between 30:70 and 25:75 ZSS.

won't[/b]

Lol were you going for italics or boldened lettering there? Each has a different effect lol.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
you won't always be beating us from below. fox has the agility to get a Dair combo in before Zamus can react to it, she really doesn't have many options for punishing an approach at a 45 degree angle, most of her attacks are strait in front or strait above her, unless your thinking about going up into the air to challenge fox, which in that case its already too late because fox is going to be in position to hit you when he jumps, he's not gonna SH at you from halfway across final d.
I don't think so. U-smash is really quick, covers a wide area and lasts a long time while having great priority with a disjointed hitbox. Of course you aren't going to telegraph your approaches however, u-smash>dair. UpB can also lead into a d-smash if you don't DI properly and it will be almost a death combo on Fox. And also I don't think you are respecting ZSS's uair enough, it's fast, powerful and has great priority. Not to mention she still has her utilt on the ground which comes out frame 3 and will nullify your dair. Saying that you will get a dair combo in before we can react is really incorrect to say. However, I'm not saying you can never use a dair combo, I'm sure there is a situation in which a dair combo will land but in most instances ZSS will mostly be able to beat your dair even if you throw off timing with shine in the air. Basically just be aware that if you are approaching ZSS from above while she is in a neutral position, you are taking a risk.

Also angle of approaches isn't really a good basis for saying what a good approach is. Angles can easily be changed and quickly nullified. For example if you do try to approach at a 45 degree angle if I jump up we are parallel and if I just move back a bit that angle is no longer 45 degrees and becomes a straight line as you descend.

Again I feel Fox will mostly stay on the ground in terms of approaching. And you will be taking advantage of your speed so you can run in and PS one of her spacing tools from really close and then punish. Aerials will still be used but if you are an aerial Fox you are going to have to really tone it down.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
I think you're ignoring the fact that Fox should not be approaching.

Let me repeat: Fox should not be approaching

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Actually, matchup experience is just as useful as "theorysmashing." That's what friendlies and whatnot are for - to develop new tactics and ideas and all that jazz. Granted, many people who try to base it solely off of matchup experience are quite often wrong, because they judge playstyles, not actual quality of the moves against each other, spacing, and general ability of each character against each other.

Well yeah that's what I meant when I said not to rely on match up experience. I'm one of those hardcore philosophy guys that believes that humans are biased and can't be trusted and only facts apply and all that jazz but never mind that.

Fox would never jump in with an SH Fair. You'll usually see this as a followup from Dthrow or bad DI against some other move, or a gimmick mindgame. There is no reason Fox should be approaching (ZSS, of all characters) with a Fair.

Well I'm really not sure how Fox approaches, I don't play Fox and I don't even know what his general playstyle even is. One of you guys post what you believe Fox should be playing like and then I'll probably post my opinion after that post about ZSS's play style

Fox doesn't have to approach in this matchup. Lasers and reflector beat out ZSS's wonky little blaster stunny thing on most stages, unless they're horribly cramped and small.

To say that he doesn't have to approach is great however I'd still like to know what Fox will do in terms of approaching.

Depends on where you PS from, and most of the time, ZSS won't[/b] be able to react that quickly. Unless you have godly spacing and hit only with the very tip of each of those moves every time, a sliding shield or a PS will get you past easily.

Fox mains: SLIDING SHIELDS ARE GOOD. USE THEM MORE IF YOU HAVE TO CLOSE IN ON AN OPPONENT.

To say ZSS won't be able to react in time is a lie. There is very minimal ending lag and you're just going to have to accept that fully spaced her moves won't be punished most of the time. Again if you are anywhere closer than fully spaced you will probably punish. Sliding shield is ok not as effective as PS.

I wrote in Bold hope you consider these points

-Cross-

Smash Ace

Well tell the other Fox mains to stop talking about approaching. I understand maybe Fox should not be approaching in this match up but you really can't just assume that I will know all of how Fox plays. If all you other Fox mains just keep talking about what angle to approach and such I can only give my opinion on what they said. I didn't see your previous post while I was typing mine, so please understand my situation.

M@v

Subarashii!
Whether fox's approaches or not depends on the matchup. This one fox should not approach. ZSS doesnt have a long ranged projectile, but her moves have long range. It is heavily in fox's favor to let her come to him. Also, if you haven't realized it yet, shine reflects her armor pieces.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
imo Fox's lasers won't really force an approach. Most of the time people will run at Fox because they want to take as little damage as possible and thus it is in favor of Fox because they will have much less options running at him then he will have for camping. However, ZSS can crawl under lasers and take her time. She will take very minimal damage and she still has pretty much all of her options because doing from crouch>stand is like only 1 frame and anything can be buffered from it. This is a match where Fox camping doesn't really do much and you will have to accept the fact that Fox will also be doing his share of approaching imo.

gantrain05

Smash Master

fox has to approach eventually, his laser isn't good enough to camp with, it will add some damage, but as some point in the match you are going to have to approach if you want to actually...you know..KILL ZSS. and she's quick enough to close the gap on you, can't run forever.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
fox has to approach eventually, his laser isn't good enough to camp with, it will add some damage, but as some point in the match you are going to have to approach if you want to actually...you know..KILL ZSS. and she's quick enough to close the gap on you, can't run forever.
Or you could wait for her to approach and then punish from there. Fox is great at punishing and can lead many combos and kills from it.

gantrain05

Smash Master
But is a slow moving projectile and has lag.

Also, considering that we do not have to approach, we should probably be moving on to ZSS' approaches and how we can counter them, or if they cannot be counter-able.
see thats the thing tho, ZSS isn't going to approach you where you will be able to counter, she's basically gonna be spacing you the entire match, get just close enough for the tip of her Forward B and Neutral B to hit, but she isn't going to walk right into fox's comfort zone.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
imo Fox's lasers won't really force an approach. Most of the time people will run at Fox because they want to take as little damage as possible and thus it is in favor of Fox because they will have much less options running at him then he will have for camping. However, ZSS can crawl under lasers and take her time. She will take very minimal damage and she still has pretty much all of her options because doing from crouch>stand is like only 1 frame and anything can be buffered from it. This is a match where Fox camping doesn't really do much and you will have to accept the fact that Fox will also be doing his share of approaching imo.
The crawl however leaves Samus at a disadvantage to Fox though because her only option is to dtilt. This leaves Fox with a dair approach or possible DAC at close range (I don't know what has more priority I am just speculating that the dash attack wins =D) as Samus takes her time to approach with her crawl.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Well I'm really not sure how Fox approaches, I don't play Fox and I don't even know what his general playstyle even is. One of you guys post what you believe Fox should be playing like and then I'll probably post my opinion after that post about ZSS's play style
So you don't know the matchup. Great.

To say ZSS won't be able to react in time is a lie. There is very minimal ending lag and you're just going to have to accept that fully spaced her moves won't be punished most of the time. Again if you are anywhere closer than fully spaced you will probably punish. Sliding shield is ok not as effective as PS.
Unless you have, quite literally, perfect spacing, her moves are punishable. And I'm pretty sure there aren't many Azens. Sliding shield is good. I don't understand how you can say that if you haven't learned the Fox side of the matchup, because you're doing a lot of theorysmashing which doesn't really apply in matchups.

Not approaching =/= not attacking. It's simply making the opponent come to you - Fox has many more options if he can retreat, rush forward, jump, etc. etc., but many of those options are cut off if he has to approach. You're misunderstanding the meaning of not approaching.

but you really can't just assume that I will know all of how Fox plays.
Yes, I can assume that you have at least a preliminary understanding of the matchup. Why? Because if you don't know the matchup from both sides relatively well, you're in no position to speak about how it plays out. From your other posts, it's pretty easy to tell that you don't understand Fox's options in this matchup, and you're assuming perfect situations for ZSS to react to Fox. In real matches? It doesn't happen like that.

In other news, I have a final tomorrow.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
So you don't know the matchup. Great.

Unless you have, quite literally, perfect spacing, her moves are punishable. And I'm pretty sure there aren't many Azens. Sliding shield is good. I don't understand how you can say that if you haven't learned the Fox side of the matchup, because you're doing a lot of theorysmashing which doesn't really apply in matchups.
This is why sliding shield is not as amazing as you say. I'm not just theorysmashing when I say sliding shield is just alright. People do it to me all the time however, unless you slide enough to not get hit by the tip then the sliding shield is rendered useless. As you are pushed back and you still have lag in dropping your shield and dashing. PS'ing is better because you aren't pushed back and you only have 2 frames lag from dropping shield. Unless Fox some how slides more than other characters it applies to all pretty much. As long as ZSS hits Fox with the tip part of SideB his sliding shield is rendered useless.

You guys don't seem to agree on how to play this match up either so it's not like I'm the only one that deserves scorn.

The crawl however leaves Samus at a disadvantage to Fox though because her only option is to dtilt. This leaves Fox with a dair approach or possible DAC at close range (I don't know what has more priority I am just speculating that the dash attack wins =D) as Samus takes her time to approach with her crawl.
ZSS will not continually crawl into you. She will stop after she reaches her middle range. This way she can attack you with her primary moves sideB and neutral B, however you can't do anything except shoot lasers (doing no damage) or illusion to reset the situation in which the same thing will occur. Now who is forced to approach? Fox, because ZSS is threatening him. She has options to attack him and he doesn't. There are more ways to force an approach and Fox is forced to approach in order to respect her options. Now then I believe this shows that Fox camping will not effectively force her to approach to the extent you want to.

Since it's shown that Fox will be approaching in this matchup what would your options be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom