• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox Match-Up General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
With Sheik? at least is a bit too much. 65:35 or 70:30 sounds about right.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
No. Ankoku is right. Sheik has SO much on fox. Sheik can camp at least as well as fox, comboes him like crazy. Has no trouble breaking his defenses from any direction. and the Ftilt lock is essentially -1 stock if it connects. And fox is easy to connect with, the easiest to keep in it, the easiest to combo into Usmash and dies from usmash insanely early.

Quite frankly, fox should NOT be winning this matchup ever. It's at least 70:30... no worse than 80:20 though I think... it's not like ganondorf who sheik can conceivably take no damage against.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Basically........ftilt is not hard to land, Fox dies from ftilt. Like I said if it wasn't for ftilt this match would be pretty even. If you must play this matchup it is winnable....that's why I think it's only 35:65. But you always have to be conscious of ftilt. Ftilt combos out of almost all of her aerials, utilt, dtilt, jab cancels, sometimes even dash attack.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Did I mention Shiek can easily avoid all of Fox's approaches or no? My main point is that Fox has really no waiting of killing a Shiek consistently to win a match, at all. You'll get lucky to land ONE shine spike. And even though you still have a LONG way to go. I say at least 20:80. I really hope someone can prove me wrong, because I do not want to keep losing to this match up.

TKD

Smash Lord
I've seen Sheik 0-death Falco via ftilt lock to usmash, if it's easier on Fox, it's a big disadvantage for Fox, for sure. 20-80 is WAY extreme. That's only against Zamus and Pikachu. Fox 30/70 Sheik. Fox doesn't even need to be below 40% like against Falco. ****...

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Did I mention Shiek can easily avoid all of Fox's approaches or no? My main point is that Fox has really no waiting of killing a Shiek consistently to win a match, at all. You'll get lucky to land ONE shine spike. And even though you still have a LONG way to go. I say at least 20:80. I really hope someone can prove me wrong, because I do not want to keep losing to this match up.
20:80 is very extreme. Also, why are you killing via Shine Spike? Also, how can she avoid all of Fox's approaches? Which ones are you using, how does she counter them, etc. etc?

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Honestly TKD, think about this:
Which is easier? ZSS landing a downsmash or Sheik landing a f-tilt?
Sure, ZSS's can go 0-death, but it's much harder for ZSS to land a downsmash on Fox.

The sheik match-up should go like this:
Sheik gets a f-tilt>anything combo.
Sheik gets a 2nd f-tilt>anything combo.
Sheik gets a 3rd f-tilt>death combo.
Repeat each stock.
And its not even hard for Sheik to land a f-tilt on Fox. Sheik's great at getting Fox to approach and maneuvering around Fox. Heck, you can replace one of those f-tilt>anything parts with a fully-charged needle step or just lots of individual needles through smart camping. Heck, Sheik even has an easy time edgeguarding and gimping Fox (even though she shouldn't even need too).

ZSS has a hard time getting Fox to approach and maneuvering around Fox like Sheik does. So it's a lot harder to set up a downsmash>death than for Sheik to get a f-tilt>death. It isn't impossible though, and will very much happen. But at least Fox doesn't get edgeguarded as easily when it comes to ZSS.

I'd probably put both at 20-80. Fairly hopeless.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Your best bet against those F-tilts is to DI INTO Shiek to try and get behind her. Or is that a bad idea? o.O
Fox's falling speed prevents him from doing anything about the f-tilt lock whether he's DIing correctly or not. Your best bet is actually f-tilting the Sheik user in the face with your fist. That'll probably end the lock every time.
Unless you're playing Ankoku. He's hardcore like that.

RPK

Smash Lord
F*** that...give him the Batman punch, aka Diddy's F-tilt...Best move in the game. Though really, if you do get caught, what would be the best way to DI out of it?

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I'm wondering, though...

DI towards worked almost every time there...

And the guide there didn't list DI towards and down together... Idk, it's scary, but completely inescapable? I don't really buy that.

The Fox in that vid was not too great at approaching...just btw.

I think anything worse than a 7-3 is uncalled for... but I have very little say as I don't have much sheik practice...sorry...

M@v

Subarashii!
Minus ftilt lock, Fox is probably a little better than sheik. But the fact that fox is probably a better character doesnt matter at all because of ftilt lock.

RPK

Smash Lord
Player 1 used a female with skin tight clothing against Fox....Its super effective!!

Player 1 used an electric attack against Fox..Its super effective!!

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I'm wondering, though...

DI towards worked almost every time there...

And the guide there didn't list DI towards and down together... Idk, it's scary, but completely inescapable? I don't really buy that.

The Fox in that vid was not too great at approaching...just btw.

I think anything worse than a 7-3 is uncalled for... but I have very little say as I don't have much sheik practice...sorry...
For the spacies, if your caught in the air it's unescapable if the Sheik user does it right. In theory your best bet is to try to get behind Sheik, but Sheik could just turn around and resume........you have to hope the Sheik messes up. DI down and towards may work, i'll do some testing on it.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
For the spacies, if your caught in the air it's unescapable if the Sheik user does it right. In theory your best bet is to try to get behind Sheik, but Sheik could just turn around and resume........you have to hope the Sheik messes up. DI down and towards may work, i'll do some testing on it.
if you're close enough to a ledge, you can DI down and off the ledge, but a good sheik can see that and just Dsmash.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
25:75 Sheik
40:60 Zelda

my opinion at least.

20:80 Zelda/Sheik

since a sheik willing to change the switch to zelda can KO fox with virtually anything if he manages to survive a tilt lock -> usmash combo. Think of Zelda/sheik, in this case, as an insurance policy. You'd stay sheik pretty much the whole time, but if fox ever managed to live to triple digits, Zelda can EASILY pick up the scraps and go right back to sheik.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Sheik is no worse than 70:30. This is a hard counter matchup, like it or not.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
I would still have to say 80:20 personally, but I may be just playing a REALLY good Shiek. I approach any way possible, yet all Shiek has to do is shield, trap you with her Nuetral A first two combo punches, shield-cancel grab, throw you away, and catch you with a tilt. I mean seriously Fox has a hard time avoiding any of Shiek's attacks.

And as for DIing the f-tilt lock, both me and the Shiek main agree our best bet is to DI towards them, because it's not so easy for Shiek to stop, turn around, and continue the lock without having Fox escape. But by then you already have the damage racked up anyways, but I think you have 20% less.

What we really need here is for a really good Fox to play a really good Shiek so we can assess the battle and determine what works and what doesn't.

Here's the really good Shiek I fight all of the time:

http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=114328

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I think we're pretty much done with this matchup.......any chance we could do Wolf next?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Then Olimar? I'm convinced that Olimar has the advantage.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Then Olimar? I'm convinced that Olimar has the advantage.
i believe its a pretty good advantage to olimar, i second olimar and my 4th is fox, also 2 of my friends and alot of people at the local tourneys i go to play fox, and i can't say i've ever lost that matchu, it sucks for fox, his blaster wont stop the pikmin like falco or wolfs, and his recovery is almost never safe, if he sweetspots the edge he still faces the problem of getting up thru pikmin spam, Fsmash Spam, and grab spam, although fox can do a decent job of gimping olimar as well, and fox's quick attacks can become kind of a problem to olimars who don't know the matchup very well. but im gonna have to give this one a 60-40 olimar.

M@v

Subarashii!
in all my experiences vs olimar it has seemed pretty even to me. But yeah, lets wrap up Zelda sheik. Does 40:60 Zelda and 25:75 Sheik sound good?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I have tons of trouble with the Olimar matchup........I wouldn't mind doing that next.

M@v

Subarashii!
Zelda sheik ended. Zelda 40:60 Sheik-25:75

Upon Request, we will do Lolimar next.

I remember a while back we talked to the olimar boards and we both agreed this was around even....we didnt get too much into it though, so lets hammer this out. I honestly think its even, Olimar has never given me too much trouble. But like I said, lets analyze this and find out.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
in all my experiences vs olimar it has seemed pretty even to me. But yeah, lets wrap up Zelda sheik. Does 40:60 Zelda and 25:75 Sheik sound good?
yeah... that sounds splendid.

I say 80:20 for anyone who dual mains (i.e. can and WILL use both zelda and sheik wherever it is strategically beneficial to do so.)

so... in summary:

75:25 Sheik
60:40 Zelda
80:20 Zelda/Sheik

??? disagreements?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
yeah... that sounds splendid.

I say 80:20 for anyone who dual mains (i.e. can and WILL use both zelda and sheik wherever it is strategically beneficial to do so.)

so... in summary:

75:25 Sheik
60:40 Zelda
80:20 Zelda/Sheik

??? disagreements?
none from me.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
After Olimar matchup, I'll re-update that template that was posted a few pages back with matchup numbers.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
and i can't say i've ever lost that matchu, it sucks for fox, his blaster wont stop the pikmin like falco or wolfs, and his recovery is almost never safe,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFHiFu3_M84
Roughly 0:59, blaster stops red pikmin dead in its tracks from a pikmin throw. Unless of course you meant from smashes. You shouldn't be lasering smashes. Also, I've dodged a grab with a U-smash before. It seems like I just either moved my hurtbox or perhaps I negated its sweetspot with a solid kick.

I also call this matchup even as Fox can blitz the hell out of Olimar or Olimar can brick wall Fox. Each character's U-smash will kill at early percentages.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I know when I went to the tourney last weekend with pyro, he mained olimar and got beaten by a fox.

goldemblem

Smash Apprentice
When the game came out i believed this matchup was in favor to Olimar, but after playing a while against Olimars, i can say that it's a little in favor of Fox, probably 60:40

Zhamy

Smash Champion
I don't like how Zelda/Sheik was given as the average of the two matchup numbers.

Zelda, Sheik and Zelda/Sheik are three different charcters as far as matchups are concerned.
Huh? It wasn't an average.

Even, probably.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Olimar hasn't given me much problems either. Easily gimpable and comboable. However after watching that last vid I suggest you don't approach with an f-air unless Olimar is in the air just because he is so dang short. I'm even surprised he can manage to fight even with all the strength it must take to hold that huge head up. Not to mention the nose... but anyways, don't be afraid to approach with d-airs either. Just because it's the most expected Fox move it still works wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom