• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so after playing at my first tourney (yesterday) I have a few questions. (Mainly matchups, really)

I played against some really good falcons and basically got ***** by tech chase -> combo -> death. I'd be able to get 2-3 stocks off of them on average but once I get grabbed it's basically one stock gone. Once I get an aerial in and start shine combos I can usually get a stock off of them but is laser camping and baiting them a good approach? I'm pretty sure it's mainly from my lack of experience against falcons (i generally do well against foxes and marths).

Also, I played against a few jiggs and whenever I would uthrow and try to uair they would be able to jump out of it (even at 0 percent). My friend told me it's a combo on most characters at virtually any percent, am I just too slow? I was watching SilentWolf play a match against against a really good jiggs in what I believe was the semi-finals and he would be able to uthrow -> uair them almost every time.

EDIT: Haven't been on the fox boards lately. Just saw there was a thread with cactuar vs. some falcons at event 52. Def going to check that out when I get home.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Okay, one quick question then. When you get combo'd by a falcon and you KNOW you're going to get kneed, the only way to DI is straight up, right? It usually doesn't seem to make a difference because I die anyways but if there was, say, a platform slightly away and below me, could I DI down and tech it?

Tero.

Smash Champion
Okay, one quick question then. When you get combo'd by a falcon and you KNOW you're going to get kneed, the only way to DI is straight up, right? It usually doesn't seem to make a difference because I die anyways but if there was, say, a platform slightly away and below me, could I DI down and tech it?
try pressing down and b

edit: oh wait this isn't the jiggly boards lol **** screw you mango <3 i thought we're in your puff thread

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
halcyon.days, the timing for uthrow uair on jiggs is different on most chars b/c the throw animation on her is fast. You need to do it much earlier then on most other chars.
Practice it in training mode and make sure it registers as a combo. It's hard on her just because the timing is so different, especially if they DI.
BTW, you need to jump and the double jump asap to reach her fast enough (even at 0%)

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
You smash d.i. up + towards when you get a knee to the face. Survival d.i., basically.

Uthrow uair is a combo, but they can d.i. out. It works from 0 without a doubt.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Practice it in training mode and make sure it registers as a combo. It's hard on her just because the timing is so different, especially if they DI.
BTW, you need to jump and the double jump asap to reach her fast enough (even at 0%)
I could combo uthrow uair in training mode (which means 0 DI on uthrow) up until 90 % (95 % with the first hit of uair). Im not really technical tho.
Any1 else who has some precise informations about % ?

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Here's a list of the that uthrow uair will combo (in training mode, no di) on certain chars that i made when i was really bored lol
These are the LOWEST POSSIBLE percentages that it will work. It won't work below these percentages (unless your opponent doesn't jump away or something.)
It's also notable that many chars have limited options for escaping, like peach. Best she can do is wiggle into an airdodge, but she won't have many frames to do that. That's why it usually works on her despite the fact that it isn't a real combo until 35%.

0%: Marth, Jigglypuff**, Kirby, Pichu, Pikachu, Roy, Young Link, Mr. Game and Watch
4%: Fox*
8%: IC's, M2, Sheik
10%: Falco*
35%: Peach**
40%: Link, Falcon*
45%: Ness**
60%: Zelda**
65%: DK/Ganon

*You have to shffl it
**You have to Jump then double jump to reach them fast enough (every time even at the lowest possible %)

im not entirely done yet but im sure that Ive listed all the chars where it will combo below 10%

my timing is not perfect so it might be innacurate.
ALSO, I play the PAL version, and the slight differences in weight could make a small difference.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
One more noob question from me :)

When ledge teching, I just hold towards the stage with c-stick and then SDI with the control stick at the last possible moment but I almost never walljump tech. If I just SDI at a diagonal (towards and up) I should walljump tech, right? Will this make a difference? (for instance, if I SDI at a diagonal, as opposed to SDI-ing straight towards the stage, is there a chance I'll miss a tech? [sorry if it's confusing, it's kind of hard to word])

Also, in a thread (I have no idea which one is was), Magus said it was best to to press L to tech at the last possible moment, but if I basically press L a few frames after my Firefox starts moving and I SDI/ASDI right, I should tech?

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
it's not noob, it's about the attitude!
Unfortunately that doesn't answer my question :(:(

However, I do want to add something to that. So basically after I firefox in the direction I want, I have to reset my control stick to the neutral position or else I won't SDI when I smash it in that direction?

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
If I just SDI at a diagonal (towards and up) I should walljump tech, right? Will this make a difference? (for instance, if I SDI at a diagonal, as opposed to SDI-ing straight towards the stage, is there a chance I'll miss a tech?
Yes, you will walljump tech. Its actually better if you d.i. at an angle rather than straight at the stage.

Holding up has proven to be an easy way to initiate walljumps out of techs for some reason. If you're holding up/towards because you smash d.i.ed that way, you should be able to walljump right after it as well. For a no walljump after a tech, just smash d.i. and reset the position of the stick. (i.e.: neutral)

Basically, you have the right idea. up/towards is ideal for smash d.i. placement while recovering.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Yes, you will walljump tech. Its actually better if you d.i. at an angle rather than straight at the stage.

Holding up has proven to be an easy way to initiate walljumps out of techs for some reason. If you're holding up/towards because you smash d.i.ed that way, you should be able to walljump right after it as well. For a no walljump after a tech, just smash d.i. and reset the position of the stick. (i.e.: neutral)

Basically, you have the right idea. up/towards is ideal for smash d.i. placement while recovering.
But after I push my control stick in the direction that I want to go with firefox, I have to put it back into the neutral position to SDI, correct?

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Thunders' combo only works on jiggs if they DI towards you after the shine, right? (I'm just asking this out of curiosity as people don't normally DI into shines)

Also, i was reading that tech skill exercise thread and i saw that Raynex said he uses claw for the illusion edgestall. Although I can only illusion edgestall about 50% of the time with the standard hand position, how will using the claw help with that? Doesn't it only change how your right hand is positioned on the controller?

Speaking of which, any tips for the illusion edgestall? For the firefox edgestall I just find the angle that makes me let go of the stage as well as makes me go into firefox, but illusion is slightly harder.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Thunders' combo only works on jiggs if they DI towards you after the shine, right? (I'm just asking this out of curiosity as people don't normally DI into shines)

Also, i was reading that tech skill exercise thread and i saw that Raynex said he uses claw for the illusion edgestall. Although I can only illusion edgestall about 50% of the time with the standard hand position, how will using the claw help with that? Doesn't it only change how your right hand is positioned on the controller?

Speaking of which, any tips for the illusion edgestall? For the firefox edgestall I just find the angle that makes me let go of the stage as well as makes me go into firefox, but illusion is slightly harder.
I do it that way because its simpler for me. I hit back on the c-stick with my left thumb and hit B with my index finger.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
This is kind of a fox question but at the same time no really. All characters can SDI out of the drillshine, but I'm assuming you SDI the shine, as opposed to the last hit of the drill, right? (I ask this because I play both Marth and Fox but I'm leaning towards Fox atm).

Top Bottom