• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

dkuo

Smash Lord
i dont think regular turnaround is 1 frame, if you just stand in place and turn around a lot its much slower than dashdancing (which takes 2 frames per cycle when done at its fastest, but if you meant dash-turnaround then yeah its 1 frame i guess)
you can do some turnaround actions earlier than the first post-"turned-around" frame though (ie grab, and some other stuff)

ive always heard shine turnaround take 3 frames but ive never seen confirmation on that and would like to know about it too

Kadano

Magical Express
Regular turn arounds are definitely 1 frame, I never knew that in shine it was more. Where can I find that???
It’s mentioned in a few very old threads, but they are really hard to find, so I edited the information into ssbwiki: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Fox_(SSBM)/Down_special#Timing
i dont think regular turnaround is 1 frame, if you just stand in place and turn around a lot its much slower than dashdancing
I added information about the Turn animation on ssbwiki too: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Turn

Stijn

Smash Cadet
More important than if you can, why do you want to? Between grab, uptilt, upsmash, and downsmash as finishers for waveshines, I think you cover the optimal choice in any almost any given situation.
I know what you mean, but I was thinking to use it considering I'm playing PAL. (Both Usmash and Dsmash are weaker) I was thinking to maybe waveshineFsmash instead of Dsmash

l will find peace

Smash Cadet
all you do is say something ******** and then type either "lol." or "lol?" at the end of it. if you call that arguing then ok.

even if druggedfox was the biggest noob in the world, he could still know how to correctly or incorrectly play the game. your mental framework of how the game works is pretty ****ty if you actually believe what youre posting.

also id put up $100 that drugged fox could junk you

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Silent Wolf, I am not comparing myself to mew2king. I am not claiming to be better than him, nor am I claiming anything about my skill. I am simply analyzing his play based on my best attempt at objectively looking at the decisions he makes in the context of the matchup.

If you think I am elitist for being critical despite not making any claims about my own play or ability, then I have no clue what to say to you.

Sorry that you find me difficult to argue with, but at least I make an attempt at reasonable discussion rather than taking potshots at people's skill levels.

Maybe I need to say it again, because you've apparently had this problem with reading my posts for *years* now: If I make a critical statement about someone, it is not meant as an insult, and I am not claiming anything about my own ability in relation to theirs. Many intelligent people have been able to read and understand my posts; I'm not sure why you can't. In fact, I got into the MBR within a few months solely based on my posting merit.

Also thanks L and kadano for the info!

Edit: @stjin Oh I didn't know you played PAL, I'm not honestly sure. I'd still imagine what I said holds, but maybe not! Imo just check what leffen does =P

BeAo

Smash Rookie
How should I go about punishing people who roll a ton? Or does it really depend on which character it is? Usually I try to grab but they sometimes roll twice?

Edit: Sorry if this was already asked >_< I couldn't find it anywhere tho

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
How should I go about punishing people who roll a ton? Or does it really depend on which character it is? Usually I try to grab but they sometimes roll twice?

Edit: Sorry if this was already asked >_< I couldn't find it anywhere tho

Get faster. Roll invuln and punish times are somewhat character dependent (I think most characters have 12 punishable frames, samus/yoshi have more) but given the startup that's more than enough time to punish the roll on reaction and even more so if you now the guy has a habit for it.

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
Sweet, thanks ^^ is grabbing a good idea though? Is there a better alternative?
Depends on the character, that's just a question of "what punish gets me the most mileage here." If it's peach, you probably just want to waveshine her into an upsmash, if it's a spacie you probably want to grab. That just happens to be a moment where you have a lot of options.

Engo

Smash Ace
I know this is kinda late but I think Druggedfox could've challenges Hbox in the air more with bair. Hbox seemed fine just going ontop of you at heights high enough for you to take advantage and get under him with a bair. You were playing the horizontal game more than anything but having puff in the air above you is so good.

All4G0dsGl0ry

Smash Cadet
Is there somewhere I can find percents for certain match ups? I heard peach should be gotten to 40% before doing Nairs because it stops her crouch cancel. Maybe uthrow uair percents? Stuff like that

Kadano

Magical Express
Yo Fox boards. I got asked about the Fox up throw chaingrab percentages against Fox, Falco and CF, and I’ve run a few tests with Dolphin. Here are my findings.
Do you agree with this? I feel really unsure about the chaingrab on CF being completely escapable, so if anyone here knows a Magus post on it or something equally trustworthy, please give it to me.

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
Yo Fox boards. I got asked about the Fox up throw chaingrab percentages against Fox, Falco and CF, and I run a few tests with Dolphin. Here are my findings.
Do you agree with this? I feel really unsure about the chaingrab on CF being completely escapable, so if anyone here knows a Magus post on it or something equally trustworthy, please give it to me.
I'm assuming the second sentence in the first line was a typo because you said "Falco", so I changed it to "Fox".

l will find peace

Smash Cadet
Against Fox, up throw can chain into itself regardless of DI from 0-65% damage.
I'm 99.9999% sure that this is wrong. On no DI its very noticeable. Unless this is all PAL stuff and fox grab is different in both games.

Quot3

Melee'er
3DS FC
4253-4705-1339
How is shine -> bair a legit combo? It just doesn't seem like the physics of the game would allow for that to work unless you have godlike finger speed. Is that all it is?

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
How is shine -> bair a legit combo? It just doesn't seem like the physics of the game would allow for that to work unless you have godlike finger speed. Is that all it is?
If you're talking about doing an aerial shine->bair it's pretty much useless but it's a cool thing to get on someone.

But yes it's possible, once you learn how to do it with Falco you pretty much do it the same way but faster with Fox. You kind of have to space your shine so your bair is as close as possible but yeah (you wan't the shine to send them in the direction of your bair). The best way to learn is watch someone do it then know that it's possible

Bones0

Smash Legend
You don't need godlike finger speed. Down+B, Tap jump, C-stick left/right
It's possible because the bair comes out so quickly after the shine and when you space your shine on the bottom of the opponent's hurtbox, they don't even get level with you by the time the bair comes out, let alone below you.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Are you pivoting or something kadano?

In my experience you can jump out quite a bit earlier than 65% by not DI'ing (and yea I try pivoting), but maybe I'm doing something wrong or missing something. Around 45% on no DI I usually go for uptilt regrab variants or similar.

Can you elaborate at all? It honestly seems wrong to me but I'd love to hear an explanation before making any statements about it.

For any and all combos on falcon I've always theorized that what you can or can't do is *very* % specific. I've run a couple tests with like marth upthrow on falcon in training mode and you can do weird combos at very specific ranges, or even only at a specific %. I'm not sure how this would relate to fox on falcon combos but combos off throw on falcon in general seem very odd and I've always wanted to know the technical details of them.

Also I think it would be very useful to test out percentage ranges for upthrow -->charge up smash on fox and falco on all DIs where it still kills AND true combos.

I tested it out in training mode some but I'm obviously not frame perfect. I know for a fact I got upthrow charge upsmash on no DI on fox at 93 to combo (people always said you had to pivot charge upsmash but I know you can do it without it). If you're interested, I'd really appreciate any information on what %s you can do upthrow charge upsmash at and if it kills on good DI etc etc.

Last edited:

Engo

Smash Ace
Fox's grab combos on falcon require you to be more careful and reactive(compared to vs fox/falco) because his weight and fallingspeed makes it so they almost never happen the same way. As long as you're not on autopilot the combos aren't too hard though.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
just read what i typed

also, what programs do people use to test frames in dolphin? can you access debug mode through it or is something else needed?
You are an ass (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey) and you say a lot of things that make you seem pretentious when you're as new as you seem to be.
Try being a little bit less of an ass until you get good/respected, it'll make people want to help you and you'll have better discussions that way :).

And yes you can use debug mode in dolphin.

l will find peace

Smash Cadet
You are an *** (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey) and you say a lot of things that make you seem pretentious when you're as new as you seem to be.
Try being a little bit less of an *** until you get good/respected, it'll make people want to help you and you'll have better discussions that way :).

And yes you can use debug mode in dolphin.
you shouldnt talk down to people who are better than you

also i dont need to suck people off because i dont need guidance to become a god. just need time

edit: THANKS for the INFO BLACKTICIAN-SAMA

Bones0

Smash Legend
I tested it out in training mode some but I'm obviously not frame perfect. I know for a fact I got upthrow charge upsmash on no DI on fox at 93 to combo (people always said you had to pivot charge upsmash but I know you can do it without it). If you're interested, I'd really appreciate any information on what %s you can do upthrow charge upsmash at and if it kills on good DI etc etc.
I remember testing Falco w/ no DI, and he can shine/jump out of uthrow usmash at 85% iirc.

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
What are some important percents to know? Like at what percent can someone escape up-throw -> Up-air (or u-throw -> usmash for spacies/falcon)? Other important things to know for comboing in general?

Pengie

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
A Marth player from London named AC came down to here and played me yesterday. Had some good matches but with the inexperience in the Marth matchup I end up getting faired and making risky approaches that can get me gimped easily. Is it good to put Marth back in nuetral position even after you get a solid combo on him?

Top Bottom