• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Ok, learning mutiple terms and frame data are going to make my head asplode.
A question on Falco now! (Yeah, I have lots of questions, but at least I still play Melee!)
Is Falco to Fox in Melee as Snake is to Meta Knight in Brawl? Like both are in a league of their own, but Fox has more favorable matchups while Falco beats Fox the majority of the time. What exactly does Falco have over him?

Brookman

Smash Hero
falco doesn't have much over fox, with the exception of his laser and an up b that can kill A LOT sooner.

otherwise, fox's dair combos into shinel, which combos into everything else fox can do. Fox can kill vertically much better, fox can shine spike, fox can recover. Among other things. Honestly though, They're still fairly close.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I assume the directions are related to the number, so it would be like

j for jump

1 nair
2 uair
3 dair
4 fair
5 bair

That or we should kill him.
nah, you're half right. the #s are for directions, but they're like on a numpad, where 8 is up, 2 is down, 6 is forward, and 4 is backward. That's 2D fighter notation, although they typically don't have directional airs, so they'll typically have something just like jA for their aerial A. But this system doesn't apply as well to smash because moves typically aren't diagonal dependant, nor do you need to quarter circle (i.e. 236) for any attacks.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
me? in brawl i play marth, i dont think i have any decent matches up though, the matches i do have up were before i started playing brawl (assuming you're talking about brawl?) seriously.

i've been playing melee since brawl release, but recently quit.

l3lue2ain

Smash Journeyman
me? in brawl i play marth, i dont think i have any decent matches up though, the matches i do have up were before i started playing brawl (assuming you're talking about brawl?) seriously.

i've been playing melee since brawl release, but recently quit.
You recently quit melee or brawl?

l3lue2ain

Smash Journeyman
quit melee.
well thats ok because melee is way more complex in brawl in melee it could take months trying to prefect wavedashing, L-canceling, short hoping, fast falling , teching and all of those other techniques whereas brawl "most" people are noobs so you can easily pass them with a melee mindset. They're is hope in brawl. Once you understand how to be cheap or very "technical" with spacing.

takieddine

Smash Master
At low percents I think falco's Dair is untechable, or very hard to (maybe SDI helps), other than that you shouldnt have that much trouble, just hold towards the stage and press R at the right time.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
well thats ok because melee is way more complex in brawl in melee it could take months trying to prefect wavedashing, L-canceling, short hoping, fast falling , teching and all of those other techniques whereas brawl "most" people are noobs so you can easily pass them with a melee mindset. They're is hope in brawl. Once you understand how to be cheap or very "technical" with spacing.
It took me only a week to get everything down in Melee... it isn't really as hard as people make it out to be >_>

Toobz

Smash Journeyman
So at FAST1 I saw something that looks really awesome. Shine to bair/nair. Its so fast that I don't even know how to really go about practicing it. Mainly though, how do you all jc the shine? Up on the control stick, or x/y? I usually jc my shines with up control stick unless i'm waveshining, and I would like to know how most of you do it. I mean seriously. Shine to bair is **** nice, and I want to get a piece of it. Thanks!

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
it's really not that hard to do, just make sure you hit the shine at the very top of it.

people are bairly (pun intended) shine bairing? i thought that was hella old haha

Toobz

Smash Journeyman
Ok so the top of the shine is where it happens. I can seem to do it easier by jc the shine with the control stick. I guess its a very situational combo. How about shine to nair? I see people do that on the ground.

You can do shine uair and shine dair, shine turn around dair, shine then front part of bair then fall with a laser, 2 shines, etc. Gogogo

I feel so alive as the lights and lasers rise
It's like I'm frozen in time, close my eyes and touch the sky...
And for that moment I'm as free as the air
Screamin' out I don't care as the drums start to blare...
Real hardcore, kick it raw on the floor
Outsiders try to stop us now they're begging for more...
The beat is so addictive that it take over your mind
for now and forever until the end of time!

Toobz

Smash Journeyman
Dammmm. So I take it how you JC doesn't really matter, just the speed you can pull it off. I have a long way to go... Thanks for the fast/late replies too.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
jc shine by sliding from y>b. That's the fastest method available, in addition to being the easiest to learn, and the most consistent.

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
Hey everybody, I've been having a lot of trouble infinite wall-shining, or any other infinite shining for that matter. Could somebody tell me how it's properly done, please?

(Sorry that I'm not keeping up with the recent discussion)

Dammmm. So I take it how you JC doesn't really matter, just the speed you can pull it off. I have a long way to go... Thanks for the fast/late replies too.
Press B, lift your thumb over to Y, slide from Y to B, repeat. Don't just slide.

Toobz

Smash Journeyman
OK I have been trying to do it with up control stick. Time to practice with Y. Just to make sure, when they are above me in the air, I shine from below, hit Y and (A button+direction? C-stick?) as soon as I can afterwords. Should I practice on Fast Fallers or slow fallers?

Toobz

Smash Journeyman
Good stuff I'm glad I'm not the only one who jumps with the C-stick sometimes. I have a new question now. I just watched your new vids, and I saw you utilt a lot. That is one attack I almost NEVER use, because in the heat of battle its hard to pull off. I always end up doing a smash, or jumping into an aerial. When is the best time to use the utilt? Is it basicly do an aerial and hold up as you are landing? The sensitivity part is what is giving me trouble right now.

Just get used to having to tilt the control stick to tilt without jumping or smashing, It takes practice, especially with Fox, but you'll get used to it. Just play more and your controller will loosen up as well. That helps.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
lol I started using d-tilt with fox just because for the nair>d-tilt combo zelgadis did on his combo vid lololol Old times when I couldn't even waveshine well

takieddine

Smash Master
dtilt hardly combos its too slow, although it could have some other awesome uses...that im not sure of yet.

Fun fact: my fox averages 0 dtilts per match.

Usually whenever you can hit with a dilt, you can hit with something else. It's good sometimes after a nair, once you get used to it, you can usually tell when so it's not a risk, but I still prefer Nair->Jab.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Hey guys, start using down throws at the edge and on platforms and **** and till me how it goes for you. Also, try using fox's back throw too, especially if you can catch them DIing into it, its funny.

Top Bottom