• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

IrArby

Smash Ace
chuck norris jokes are like...3 years old...lets move on, shall we?
Fair enough. Let the Mr. T jokes proceed.

Mr. T was at one time a Psychic for the Psychic Friends Hotline but was fired for constant predictions of "Pain".

Mr. T wears sunglasses to protect the sun from his eyes.

Ok I'll stop there.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Everyone who feels that Melee >>> should feel obligated to join, don't worry about being unworthy or any johns like that. Actually, everyone should invite everyone they know that likes melee more to prove to the smash community how much better melee is.

IrArby

Smash Ace
I've only played only played 64 once in the past year but the speed made it terrible for me more than anything. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I could do some of those fabled "unstoppable 0 > death combos" but since I couldn't I just left and went to play Melee.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
na, 0-deaths are easier in melee. all you need is you opponent to miss one DI in the beginning, then you KOed them from a grab w/ marth, or all you need is for them to miss DI off a nair or shine and they're dead to dsmash or shinespike.
0-deaths are more guaranteed in 64.
if anything, you guys should play MBAC lol.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
yeah raynEx i didnt say you agreed with him or anything.

IIRC l-canceling in 64 was truly broken since it literally gave no lag at all.
z-canceling gave you normal landing lag of 2frames (@ 30fps), so it's not a no lag solution, but it's as if you didn't attack, so it's still extraordinarily broken. Especially with so much hitstun and shield stun.

Brookman

Smash Hero
z-canceling gave you normal landing lag of 2frames (@ 30fps), so it's not a no lag solution, but it's as if you didn't attack, so it's still extraordinarily broken. Especially with so much hitstun and shield stun.
obnoxious .

takieddine

Smash Master
The equivelant of floatcanceling in Melee pretty much...except much easier to perform.

pwnaj

Smash Rookie
does it matter whether you wave dash with the r button or the l button?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
to someone just learning, i'd highly recommend learning to wavedash w/ the button that they don't use to shield, as this will make it much easier to wavedash out of shield in the future.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Yea agree with ^^^^^. Its hard to Waveshield using only R and trying to learn to shield things with L now is just too frustrating. Relearn to Wavedash with L button? Forget about it. Learn to use both while you still can.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Actually...

If you don't push the shield button all the way when you shield (which can actually be good, since it won't cause you to miss techs) then you can jump out of shield and then click the shield button all the way in for the wavedash.

Tada, waveshielding with one button.

That being said, it's a pain. It's usually easier to just hit the other shield button and wavedash with the one you're used to wavedashing with.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
actually, now that i think about it, it doesn't matter.
and now i get to lol at all the ppl (like MikeHAZE) who relearned ****.
Shield put away lag is jump cancel-able. meaning, you can release R, then hit x>r, and it's pretty much as fast as doing it w/ the other button. Lol, should've thought've that earlier lol. That's how Ankoku does it iirc.

Brookman

Smash Hero
I shield/l cancel with l, wavedash with r.

unfortunately, the only controller I have now has a malfunctioning batch of shoulder triggers, so now I do everything with z

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
Okay, Ive been trying this alot lately with Fox and Falco but to no avail. How do you Shine>wavedash backwards *WITHOUT* turning around?
I can do turn around shines to aerials and all that Jazz but I want to be able to shine then wavedash backwards to combo or edgeguard.

If you dash into an immediate shield dash, and immediately WD out of the shield, then do the same before the WD is over, the shield won't cancel the momentum the seconds time, but it will the first. It can create the illusion that your character can alter his traction if done back to back and followed up with other moves that add onto the effect. I'll put up a video of it being done correctly sometime or something. This is very old by the way, just realized I've never said anything about it. I may use this and a few more tricks in some scenarios and throw together a video. There are a few ways to make your characters...different.

EDIT: It's only good looking if you do it framer perfectly, which is hard at first with Fox. Try it with Falco and if you do it, you'll know for sure what I'm talking about. If someone does it good, put up a video, and throw it into a scenario or something cool.

EDIT 2: Also after the first dash into shield WD, if you moonwalk after the WD and shield dash fast enough, you can do it without a dash backwards and still not have the shield cancel your momentum one bit and show up. This one is much harder though.

Also every character can "Shine turn around" onto the ledge if they dash cancel perfectly and turn around wavedash. It's hard, to do because you have to have a loose control stick so you'll be able to dash cancel by tapping it down the slightest bit, then dashing the slightest bit and so on. Also very old news, but a lot of people probably don't know.

Brookman

Smash Hero
frankly, if it is easier for you to turn first then wavedash out then by all means, just do that do that.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
actually, i only use it at the end of waveshine chains i **** up (and don't usmash/ dsmash) so that i can edgehog/ slide off into a bair. Brookman's right, it's really not that useful at all.

Brookman

Smash Hero
What I mean to say is, a turn around waveshine can be just as fluid as a backwards waveshine

The trick is the both take PRACTICE.

Top Bottom