• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

joeplicate

Smash Master
waveshine oos ***** =]

i wish i was as good at life/school as i am at smash =[
i have hella papers to do, both will be late, i've turned in like one thing on time this whole quarter

fuc lol

but ya smash *****

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
get *****

but yeah actually. turning off your internet like quadruples your paper-writing speed. one time i had to write a paper on a library computer, got 5 pages in like an hour instead of like 2 days. **** internet

joeplicate

Smash Master
nah, that's good advice though

sorry in advance brookman, don't take my snarky reply as venom
i'm just kinda pissed because i've been slacking off all quarter/for years/my whole life, and even though i know about it, i'm still doing it

=\

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i feel you joe.

i knowingly waste so much time on the internet/sleeping that could otherwise be used to study.

its sucks but honestly i cant help myself :/

Brookman

Smash Hero
nah, that's good advice though

sorry in advance brookman, don't take my snarky reply as venom
i'm just kinda pissed because i've been slacking off all quarter/for years/my whole life, and even though i know about it, i'm still doing it

=\
Same here my dude.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Learn to be smarter about lasering. try limiting yourself to only shooting in situations where power shielding isn't an option, for example.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I've played vs Zoso's ps'ing at Rom3.

dat cat is ridic at powershielding, almost every laser i threw out came back at my face. so impressive and heartbreaking to play against lol

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
lol brookman, i'm down
edit: wait does that mean no critique? =/

and yea dave's pretty ****in whack

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Falco vs perfect powershielders:

mix up laser heights (high lasers don't get powershielded, but marth can dash under them), empty short hop (or even shoot fake lasers - japan is really big on this because of FD only), shoot a low laser then short hop over it when it gets powershielded, more dashdance(!!!), or powershield the lasers back at them.

I'm not a great powershielder myself, but according to diakonos, the best powershielder on the west coast of north america, stuff like running forward and shielding before you SHL or dashdancing before you powershield makes it much trickier to time the powershield.

but yeah, when people powershield lasers they aren't actually reacting to the laser flying through the air, they're reacting to the telegraphed movement of the Falco. there are a LOT of ways to deal with perfect powershielders...

...and my personal favorite is to go back to Fox >_>

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
i think dave reacts to the laser and not falcos movement.

not only does he powersheild lasers but he does it to aerials and even run up shines.

I would run at him and shffl nair and he'd powershield that, than I would try to do the same thing again but this time delay the nair so that it's a late aerial and he still powershields it. makes no sense to me.

but toph, good advice. Never thought of shooting high sh lasers, I kinda wanna see how I could use that, i'll try it out. When you said try shooting a low laser than sh over the psed laser, do you tend to sh aerial towards them or just SHL again over the psed laser?

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I didn't bother mentioning the stuff Toph mentioned since I figured it was common knowledge. o.o

But yeah; I get the most success from shooting only in situations where they can't PS.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i like how were talking about falco on the fox boards :)

anyways, why not just space with shield after you SHL? in fact, you can actually powershield back at them and then SHL.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Zhu does that lol.

Idk. Laser > Shield looks ugly so I don't do it in a friendly environment. I'll do it in tourney tho.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Anything I do in tournament I will do in friendlies. The only time I turn my game down is if I outclass the opponent and I really don't need to do X to win. Especially against people who are also training for a tournament, because it doesn't help them to play a style that they will never see when it matters.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I would run at him and shffl nair and he'd powershield that, than I would try to do the same thing again but this time delay the nair so that it's a late aerial and he still powershields it. makes no sense to me.
human reaction time doesn't work that quickly lol. like, from a purely scientific basis.

also I think shielding in between SHLs looks hella sexy haha. so i am a 100% supporter of that technique

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Verily, the news is well-received. Deliver my regards to the good sir Eggz and godspeed on your journey.

and tell him im trying to get a pimp *** studio apartment next year MAYBE with vish and no one else as a roommate and im bout to get like 2 CRTs up in that *****, and apologize to him on my behalf for being too lazily to talk like a ****in knight or whatever for this entire post

PB&J

Smash Hero
powershielding is cool and all but when you play someone like lambchops..it only goes so far..his laser's are far beyond the best..he mind games them and doesnt just spam them like people think he does..diaknos played him and pools @ apex,on fd, and still lost..rock crock is extremely good at powershielding too but when u play people who know how to avoid it ..its not the best option vs falco all the time.

when i played chops last week i started to run and powershield to upsmash..it seems like its good vs lasers..for the time being

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I don't hold back if I'm asked to, or if I'm training for something, but if I'm just playing for the sake of enjoyment, I tend to play to be stylish. I understand your mindset, though. I get upset when I'm not uthrow rested, or if someone apologies, or goes out of their way not to do "Gay" things.

The SV code of ethics. Shoutouts to V3ctorman, Axe, Yeah!, and Tag$. <3

Brookman

Smash Hero
but toph, good advice. Never thought of shooting high sh lasers, I kinda wanna see how I could use that, i'll try it out. When you said try shooting a low laser than sh over the psed laser, do you tend to sh aerial towards them or just SHL again over the psed laser?
I actually went falco vs dave at MM specifically so I could get a handle on that.

One of the reasons he's so good at powershielding is (aside from his timing) the fact that he crouches vs. them. Shooting lasers way over head was the first thing that I tried, but this is one of the oldest tactics I know.

If you crouch vs. Lasers and they completely go above your character all you need to do is shield. It forces a powershield every time. (go ahead, try it with sheik/marth)

The best thing I can theory-o is to just increase the speed at which you laser as well as verying the height. PP does this and you can see it in his matches. Shoot a low, low laser, sh over it and shoot a high laser.

if they ps that then you can duck/reflect take a platform fall through laser.

Edge hop double laser/run off/fast fall/double jump/double laser. Anything to just increase the volume.

Once he is entirely focused on lasers you can make your move.

the other day, the very first laser I shot he powershielded into wavedash tipper. I face palmed and was like OH YAAA.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
human reaction time doesn't work that quickly lol. like, from a purely scientific basis.

also I think shielding in between SHLs looks hella sexy haha. so i am a 100% supporter of that technique
I think your mistaken. It's easy enough to react powershield to the laser because you can see the laser animation well before the laser comes out.

It's a combination of reading Falco's movement and reaction.

Zoso has quite ridiculous reaction time as well.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
but yeah, when people powershield lasers they aren't actually reacting to the laser flying through the air, they're reacting to the telegraphed movement of the Falco. there are a LOT of ways to deal with perfect powershielders..
Usually I'm able to pick out really obvious feints and resist the urge to push R. I sometimes get tricked by empty shorthops right in my face, but forcing Falco to do things like that is the entire point because it means he's thinking twice about lasering.

I don't think anybody has ever tried shooting fake lasers against me. That's tricky as ****!

Also, I just want to emphasize that I don't just powershield lasers for the sake of powershielding. I use it to create openings and regain stage control.

Although, against MDZ I literally did nothing but powershield and hang on the edge for almost a full minute.

i think dave reacts to the laser and not falcos movement.

not only does he powersheild lasers but he does it to aerials and even run up shines.

Yeah I don't understand it either. I think I just react to the spacing.

Word.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I used to do fake laser > grab to the players who power shielded a lot in 07/08, but they caught on.

It's not hard, lol.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I like all the tips people have been giving out the past few posts, now if only i played with someone consistent enough to try em out :urg:

i like how were talking about falco on the fox boards :)
most fox's have a pocket falco, and vice versa, we might as well merge the boards imo

Top Bottom