• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

noobmaster

Smash Apprentice
drillshine

every time i try the drillshine on a link i mess it up by performing a full jump instead of a short hop... any tips on how i can avoid this? thanks in advance!

Miharu

Smash Hero
hmm well this is my style i use it in many ways like i said so one of them is like yeah pressuring them but not just jc all the time i use it in in SH-A and jc and if there shielding well right after the drill then again jc or in the same style but instead of SH-A use the drill and follow by the same format the point is eather break there shield or lower ther shield to the point where you can him them..thats really it thats all you can really do but from there you can be creative like using not multi shine just 2 all the time like dash towards them when they are on the tip of the edge and you double shine them of the stage or when they are all upon you like in your face! instead of using one shine use two or more,i use 2 all the time but yall use the jc different then i do i dont use the y and b thing i use the control stick but you can only do 2 on the control stick well so far but i have experiment on both style and the way i use it seems faster..thats why i was telling yall that when i try using the jc with y and b the second one does not hit them but with the control stick is hits them all the time when i do SH and A or drill it hits them all the time so is double the damage but only works when your apponets % is lower well in between 60 or 50% of damage...thas all i got now,,,:urg::urg:
What?

If you double-shine them off the edge, it's essentially the same thing as shining once. As I said before, it's really only applicable to shieldpressuring, and nothing else. And if you want to be understood, please try to use proper grammar/punctuation/terminology. Your wall of text is pretty much illegible right now.

For Falcon's uthrow, it really depends at what percent; additionally if you DI to avoid getting fsmashed/ftilted, you can sitll get kneed/uair'd. Just DI for survival, ie so you get hit by the move that won't kill you.

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
Alright, so I am known for playing mostly marth, but I've decided to go on a marth hiatus and "main" fox for a while until my fox surpasses the level of my marth. I'll start with a few questions that I have not seen answered in the first 160 posts of this thread (I'm working my way through):

1. It seems that most of the time when I drillshine another character that the shine hits. However, not every nair->shine hits, and rarely does a bair->shine hit. Is this an issue of spacing, like where fox is just a bit too far away from his opponent such that the shine cannot connect? Or Does the bair or nair push the opponent away so that the shine cannot connect? I noticed that I'm getting grabbed out of nair->shine and bair->shine, and as a fox I feel I should never get grabbed out of an aerial.

2. For which characters does fox's uthrow->uair combo work no matter which DI? How should it be performed? Use X/Y to jump and up on control stick + A to uair, or use the C-stick?

3. Can any characters get out of fox's waveshine->grab combo with the proper DI? If so, which characters and how?

4. Silent Wolf, do you play any characters other than fox in tourament? If so, which ones and when/why do you switch?

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Alright, so I am known for playing mostly marth, but I've decided to go on a marth hiatus and "main" fox for a while until my fox surpasses the level of my marth. I'll start with a few questions that I have not seen answered in the first 160 posts of this thread (I'm working my way through):

1. It seems that most of the time when I drillshine another character that the shine hits. However, not every nair->shine hits, and rarely does a bair->shine hit. Is this an issue of spacing, like where fox is just a bit too far away from his opponent such that the shine cannot connect? Or Does the bair or nair push the opponent away so that the shine cannot connect? I noticed that I'm getting grabbed out of nair->shine and bair->shine, and as a fox I feel I should never get grabbed out of an aerial.

2. For which characters does fox's uthrow->uair combo work no matter which DI? How should it be performed? Use X/Y to jump and up on control stick + A to uair, or use the C-stick?

3. Can any characters get out of fox's waveshine->grab combo with the proper DI? If so, which characters and how?

4. Silent Wolf, do you play any characters other than fox in tourament? If so, which ones and when/why do you switch?
1.Work on spacing, if you don't fast fall asa you hit him/her you'll(then L-cancel+shine) probably get grabbed. If your opponent is shielding too much go for the grab....

2.Samus and Peach(?)

3.Marth can jab you out of it if you don't waveshine fast enough. Luigi and IC's can counter with a CC d-smash or jab, but is safer to just shine>shl to rack up damage and keep camping

4.Idk but he plays an awesome falco too

@HidroKirby: If they wall tech the first shine you'll spike them as soon as they jump out(they can tech again but is less likely to happen)

@Combo turtle: At a certain percentage, no matter where you DI you'll get Kneed or comboed or whatever

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Is what this guy saying true?

"You cannot infinite drill shine a human Marth. But you can do it to Peach, Zelda, and Link. Actually, you cannot infinite drillshine anyone (except maybe Link), since you can Smash and Auto Smash DI the drill, too."

This is the link to the Youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdzNzC2ijJE&NR=1

I only use Fox in major tourneys, but I use Falcon and Falco in local ones. I used to use Sheik a lot as well.

dieslow

Smash Ace
Do u use A-button or Cstick to do uthrow->uair?

If Cstick, are u doing the claw or using the joystick to jump?

which would be the FASTEST + MOST EFFICIENT way to uthrow-uair?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I use controls stick for the jump, and the c stick for the uair, since i always full hop w/ the control stick. THere is no optimal control scheme for something as simple as the uthrow>uair. there's plenty of time to do it perfectly w/ any reasonable method.

dieslow

Smash Ace
when using A to do the uair, it seems like u lose momentum cause u'd have to hold up on the joystick rather than using the CSTICK and being able to DI in a direction.

i basically just need to know if u can uthrow -> uair a jigglypuff at like 50% when they DI, with the A button method.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Is what this guy saying true?

"You cannot infinite drill shine a human Marth. But you can do it to Peach, Zelda, and Link. Actually, you cannot infinite drillshine anyone (except maybe Link), since you can Smash and Auto Smash DI the drill, too."

This is the link to the Youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdzNzC2ijJE&NR=1
Well........ people with insane DI will be able to get out of shine combos very easily, in that case switch to a "camp and grab only" style

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Camp and grab only style...hm, lasers, then when the time comes, grab -> combo. I don't know if I like that style too much, but it couldn't hurt to try - that is if I ever come across someone with insane DI skills. It may give me new insight to things I never noticed before...but, I'm going to have to ask the same thing as Brawlpro: Only style?

Miharu

Smash Hero
@HidroKirby: If they wall tech the first shine you'll spike them as soon as they jump out(they can tech again but is less likely to happen)
Not too practical, and it's quite situational. Depending on how fast you doubleshine, you'll either miss them after their jump, or do it too early. However, you could just multishine, but there are usually better options. There's also the chance that they just won't walljump-tech.

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
hey, um can anyone post some mind games they like to use with fox, vs certain characters or in general like i noticed silent wolf sometimes after a back throw on falco will fake the backthrow to shine and neutral air from off the stage back on hitting the over bing falco, stuff like that would be useful thanks :)

Oskurito

Smash Lord
They'll Get tech invincibility, so i don't think the second shine can hit anyway.
lol. Sorry, I was supposing things.

@brawlpro and 4 aces : Yeah, just grab and laser. What else is wrong? You hate being gay?

4 Aces

Smash Ace
I'm playing smash against a lvl 5 right now, and whenever I shine this Falco, instead of going down and away, he goes up and away (he gets knocked off his feet and goes a short distance through the air). Why does this happen? Does this happen to other shinefallers as well?

@ Oskurito: Wouldn't that be a readable style, since you're only doing like 2 moves? Or maybe...it allows you to read THEM better...with a more open mind since you don't have to think about too many things...

Yeah, I'm with Brawlpro on that one; I'm more strait than gay. lol

Oskurito

Smash Lord
I'm playing smash against a lvl 5 right now, and whenever I shine this Falco, instead of going down and away, he goes up and away (he gets knocked off his feet and goes a short distance through the air). Why does this happen? Does this happen to other shinefallers as well?

@ Oskurito: Wouldn't that be a readable style, since you're only doing like 2 moves? Or maybe...it allows you to read THEM better...with a more open mind since you don't have to think about too many things...

Yeah, I'm with Brawlpro on that one; I'm more strait than gay. lol
CPU has insane/rare DI, try nair>shine>bair(not even waveshine) on ganon at training mode then try it on a lvl 9 you'll notice that the stupid lvl 9 DIs backwards and lets you land the shine>bair with little effort(you'll need to full jump if it's on 40% or so). I don't know if the same happens to you, but that's what I do to the lvl9s all the time,just for fun of course. Don't bother trying it in a real match because people don't DI like that, and they don't see the game frame by frame like the lvl9s do

"it allows you to read THEM better...with a more open mind since you don't have to think about too many things..." < That's it!

FoxFtw

Smash Apprentice
this is more of a statement that a question cause i dont think i can be given any more tips than i already have gotten on drillshine>waveshine>upsmash or upthrow>uair

but after i do the drillshine i do the dumb wavedash incorrrectly or i do it too late and i dont get there or i do it too early and i only jump..........

im gettin really frustrated cause i cant seem to get my fox to the next level

I got some good shinespiking and edgeguarding, my drillshine with the SH is not that good but with the full jump its perfect and my CGs are good

but i need to control waveshining and combos like nair>shine>upsmash,upthrow>uair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXWWRCo2YXM heres a video, im jagta, btw this was a month ago

:urg::urg::urg:

Charlesz

Smash Champion
quick question how do you do a really good falling up air? i know its like shorthop u-air or something. Thanks man.

ZeroP

Smash Apprentice
i habe troubles against doc...the up-throw to uair doest work well. d-tilt to up air seems to be the best way to kill a doc or to make him dmg. and what is the best eg against doc?

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Thanks Brookman and Oskurito!

this is more of a statement that a question cause i dont think i can be given any more tips than i already have gotten on drillshine>waveshine>upsmash or upthrow>uair

but after i do the drillshine i do the dumb wavedash incorrrectly or i do it too late and i dont get there or i do it too early and i only jump..........

im gettin really frustrated cause i cant seem to get my fox to the next level

I got some good shinespiking and edgeguarding, my drillshine with the SH is not that good but with the full jump its perfect and my CGs are good

but i need to control waveshining and combos like nair>shine>upsmash,upthrow>uair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXWWRCo2YXM heres a video, im jagta, btw this was a month ago

:urg::urg::urg:
Yeah, I have the same problem too - the waveshine comboes in battle. Everything else though I have down (lasers, edge stuff, tech, CG, shffl's, wavedash).

Okay, so I just watched your vid, and I noticed that your bro doesn't use advanced tech. Heh, it's like me and my sis playing together. Is he your only opponent? Cause my sis is the my only opponent most of the time (and the only real match for me - compared to everyone else that I play against).

First, I noticed that you didn't laser like at all. I guess the moment just didn't arise for you? Also, you seem shaky with wavedashes. Work on those so you can edge hog faster - much faster. Work on shffl's and other basics; it couldn't hurt. You're a little weak in some of those areas.

You should also find other ways to grab the ledge quickly, like running off and illusioning. Also, remember the shinespike (If you didn't remember that is...). I think you should also work on your ledge recovery, like edge hopped attacks or illusion, stalls, and other mindgames while on the ledge. Tech better (sorry if I'm being blunt, but I'm trying to type this up fast).

Careful about using the dash attack too much. I couldn't help, but feel it was used more than it should've been used. By the way, when you're off the stage and you firefox, you should generally aim toward the stage, not away - especially if the stage has a curved wall - that way, you can grind up the wall and shorten your distance to the ledge. I noticed you fired away on one of your stocks, when you should've fired straight up. You MIGHT've made it; shooting away is a guaranteed loss of a stock.

When you firefox, it's generally better to try and sweetspot the ledge, rather than go straight for the opponent. Oh, and when you get sent flying, it really helps (I think) to shine and then jc it into a firefox toward the stage. That's because when you're sent flying, and then you shine, all momentum stops, so you don't keep flying (also, it's like an alternate to having to airtech).

I don't know if this is so good or not, maybe someone else can correct me, but I think it's better to shine and reflect Falco's lasers rather than shield - especially if that Falco doesn't play with advanced tech. I think you could've been more short hop oriented, but I might be wrong about this; maybe someone else could clear this up for me. I know it's a lot of things, but that's just what I noticed from watching that video.

F0xst3r

Smash Rookie
luigi (luigi_mast3r) vs fox (me) part 1
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wE7MC7J-LBU

luigi (luigi_mast3r) vs fox (me) part 2
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bb0qgRNHBaA

luigi (luigi_mast3r) vs fox (me) part 3
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=D9AZdtj-0Og

FFA
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3mlOZMHkYAU

Team Luigi(luigi_mast3r)+ mario (me) vs CPUs
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kkJJeSRrO7g

AND finally Luigi(luigi_mast3r) vs Mario (me)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DJAxQYxyZXQ

can you comment on my vids plzzz coz i am not that good at new techniques and can you help me learn new advanced techniques

Top Bottom