• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Lol, KDJ did to PC Chris alot, I guess it has it's reasons.
Holy god****. Your signature made me think I had bugs on my monitor when I saw it for the first time.

lol. i know, but i'm trying to be serious.

If you guys want to be good...and I mean REAL good - you need to stop being greedy. All jokes aside:

you don't see pc, m2k and other good Foxes jumping out without a plan and shine-bairing do you? I'm telling you; if you knock them off and just wait - a better/safer option will present itself.

(usually in the form of an edge-hog bair or shinespike.
Two questions now (one of them has to do with shine bair).

Sometimes the enemy is the like perfect distance off the stage, so you can jump shine turnaround and then jump up and bair them. (The shine just so you can turn around, not to actually hit them with the shine). It has good KO power and I find that you can maneuver better after the bair to get on the stage. Thoughts?

I don't play very many links, but I had one question. To what percentage does dthrow -> up B work on Fox?

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Holy god****. Your signature made me think I had bugs on my monitor when I saw it for the first time.

Two questions now (one of them has to do with shine bair).

Sometimes the enemy is the like perfect distance off the stage, so you can jump shine turnaround and then jump up and bair them. (The shine just so you can turn around, not to actually hit them with the shine). It has good KO power and I find that you can maneuver better after the bair to get on the stage. Thoughts?

I don't play very many links, but I had one question. To what percentage does dthrow -> up B work on Fox?
Every one does shine turnaround bair :psycho:. Its viable in many situations and should be used if a safe opportunity to do so comes around. Its nothing really special though. I've traded doing that for just waiting and shining them or hitting back off so I can learn to be less complicated. I used to do it ALOT, and it got me killed sometimes. Bottom line: use it in moderation.

Dthrow upb should work at around 70 i think. It works past 120%, probably till...god iunno like 140? Fox falls too fast for him to be able to jump out any sooner.

Binx

Smash Master
If you think you can hit them like that then give it a shot, although most players won't fall for that, they will either airdodge, or DI away and save their jump to sweetspot the ledge if they have it, or up b early if they are fox, or shine to mess up the timing, or if they are marth they can neutral b or fair you or forward b to mess up your timing, and such.

Thats why he suggests waiting because its so easy to escape from.

As for the Link question, I believe its between about 50-90%, earlier that that and you can tech before hand I'm pretty sure, and after that I *think* you can DI away far enough to avoid it. Don't quote me as gospel though.

EDIT: I'd take raynex's numbers over mine haha.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
If you think you can hit them like that then give it a shot, although most players won't fall for that, they will either airdodge, or DI away and save their jump to sweetspot the ledge if they have it, or up b early if they are fox, or shine to mess up the timing, or if they are marth they can neutral b or fair you or forward b to mess up your timing, and such.

Thats why he suggests waiting because its so easy to escape from.

As for the Link question, I believe its between about 50-90%, earlier that that and you can tech before hand I'm pretty sure, and after that I *think* you can DI away far enough to avoid it. Don't quote me as gospel though.

EDIT: I'd take raynex's numbers over mine haha.
I like what you said about escaping shine turnaround bair. It makes me want to say:

its really easy to see coming, especially seeing as once you do it...the chances of you spamming it are extremely high. Its one of those things where it looks cool and is relatively easy to do so overusing it is almost implied.

On that note - people need to overuse shine. As a stand-alone move, it is TREMENDOUSLY broken. Ever had it clink with Marth's fsmash? Sheik's dsmash? Reflect Falco's SHL?

We need to start using that move alot more.

Oh and I'm releasing a tech. skill vid soon.

Falcinho

Smash Ace
Against sheiks who want to prevent you from edgehogging with DJ-Fair while recovering, run off ->shineturnaround-Bair is kinda cool

Tero.

Smash Champion
Roll towards the edge and hold Z to lightshield, then angle your shield downwards.

joeplicate

Smash Master
I thought that there were bugs on my monitor too

for the lightshield, you can just hold it away from the stage. I don't know if holding it down has any other benefits, but I know holding away works.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I thought that there were bugs on my monitor too

for the lightshield, you can just hold it away from the stage. I don't know if holding it down has any other benefits, but I know holding away works.
Holding down+away is best. On the off-chance that you've overused your shield during battle and forget that part of your feet aren't covered by it. You could lose an easy edge-guard that way sometimes.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
Just run off and shine marth in the middle of his up+b.

You only have 1 frame to get it, so you better do it right or else marth will hit you and probably gimp you.

Good luck

Oskurito

Smash Lord
X reminds me of megaman x, wich reminds me of megaman music wich reminds me I need to make a smash video... lol

rayn sounds fine and actually its better than raynex imo, maybe because is like "darkrain" lol he's too good

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Question about when you get hit by Fox's usmash. You can only "safely" DI in the direction that he's facing, right? If you try to DI behind him you'll go straight up?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
it hits you roughly 70 deg above the horizontal, so DIing towards him makes it more vertical, away from him more horizontal, and about 20 deg below the horizontal to bend it the most horizontal.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
hmm. how much can this really save you though? say if your marth? like i feel no matter hwat, if your over 85% your done.
i know its stage dependent (obviously on YS you're completely screwed as compared to DL64) but like...i dunno i just always thought of FOx's usmash as being...too good to really do anything about

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
well i know DI in general makes a huge difference. but Fox's upsmash seems so. ridiculously. good.

joeplicate

Smash Master
if you CC an upsmash at high %s you just get upaired instead

like at 100%, you probably could've DI'd to survive, you get upaired and die
it's pretty balls

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Is there any use for dair > utilt? I tested it on some characters in AR and it combos (if you don't SDI).
Wait is it different for different chars? Which chars doesn't it work on?
Also, is it important that the last hit is close to the ground (so you'll land asap after they go hit by the last hit of the dair), or is it always possible to combo it into an utilt?
Do you have always have time to turn around and utilt (I know that you loose atleast 1 frame in that), or do you have to land behind them?
AR is to good :p
sry for so many questions >.< Answer them if you want, id appreciate it :)

Falcinho

Smash Ace
you could also CC + DI away which makes it harder to follow up (or on some stages even impossible)

and it's very hard to hit an Uair with the right momentum so that SDIing out gets impossible.
So Uair usually shouldn't mean your dead.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
if you CC an upsmash at high %s you just get upaired instead

like at 100%, you probably could've DI'd to survive, you get upaired and die
it's pretty balls
SDI the Uair noob.

But seriously, yeah, at some percents it's best to just DI it.

At higher, though, like say 150% they can't reach you with that Uair so then it would be wiser to CC it.

My friend CCed my U-smash at 120% at Jiggs on FoD and almost died off the top but still lived so that would be a good example of where CC is the best option. When it will save you and not put you in too horrible a position to be punished. Clearly my example is inflated (no pun intended) because Puff has multiple jumps, is floaty, and has great aerial mobility so she can get down safely, but it's saved me a lot as Sheik and Peach and even Fox too.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I hear Dair Shine U-tilt / Grab negates the need for this on the majority of the shineable characters in NTSC.

And Dair Shine tech chase Grab (esp vs Puff) negates a lot of the need for this on the not-shineable characters in NTSC.

Dair U-tilt is still good but it's not super necessary or anything, Shine is a safer move generally.

But if you need to force a KO (U-tilt U-air is more likely to work than U-throw U-air on a lot of characters and sometimes U-tilt just KOs on its own) or want to flaunt your super sexual DBR combo power then it's ridiculously awesome.

You can turn around I think. I've got Dair U-tilt to work facing them sometimes in training mode so I think there would be time to squeeze in the one frame (I thought it was 2 but if it's 1 then more power to turn-around I guess). I think in general it would be safer to land behind them as it protects you from SDIs and whatnot but shrug oh well.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
When you're getting hit by Fox's upair, my friend told me that at different percentages you should SDI different ways.

So which way should I SDI when I get hit by Fox's uair? Straight up when I'm at like 130% i'm guessing and sideways below 100%?

Top Bottom