• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fourth and final community vote about Meta Knight.

Should Meta Knight be banned from competitive Brawl?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riickable

Smash Cadet
You can't be good with Meta Knight.

Only Meta Knight can be good with you.

I voted ban, then perhaps skilled players will win tourneys more often.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I'll give you something to think about:
The SBR consists of people who are either
a.) the best players of their regions and in general
b.) TOs who have hosted big and/or regular events
c.) generally knowledgeable people who have dedicated their time into researching Brawl and know how to discuss it properly
d.) any combination of the above

The SBR is not just some random people. They're not circle-jerkers either.
The members of the SBR have proven themselves to be important enough for the community to have a say in deciding rulesets and projects (e.g. the tierlist).
I do not see how these people would hurt the community in any way if they decided what's best for competitive play, considering they are the best persons to ask about it.

What you are implying is that the SBR is just 100 people picked up randomly from the street and put in front of a computer. That we have no idea what we're talking about, that we have no idea about the community, tournaments or anything else.
Basically, you say we're scrubs for not banning Meta Knight.

Also, as an explanation:
The first 3 polls were not to decide whether Meta Knight should be banned directly, they were more meant to see what the community thinks, where they stand. A 5% majority doesn't make it a clear "Yes, we want him banned", because 5% is extremely little.
If the community really wanted Meta Knight to be definitely banned, the majority wouldn't be 5% only. Can't you grasp the idea that the Pro-Ban side is pretty much the same size as the Anti-Ban side, and that saying 5% majority being a clear victory for the Pro-Ban side in a vote is wrong.
I UNDERSTAND THIS.

But are you implying that every good player that is smart is in the SBR? There are so many that aren't! What differentiates these 50-60 from the rest? Hook ups withing the SBR?

I'm not saying who is and who isn't fit.
It's just that 99% of people are too fickle and easily swayed to be trusted to get anything right.

Basically, a lot of people don't really think much before they do something, so I don't see why it's a bad thing putting putting restrictions down.

So are you implying that everyone in the SBR is fit to make a conscious decision? How can you judge this? Because they are in the SBR, are you assuming they aren't easily swayed?

The major flaw with the SBR for me, is the lack of equal character representation.

It should be equal across the board, or at least correspondent with tournament character representation.

Marth has one representativce, Bardull. How is that fair when MK has at least 20?
THIS.

An SBR leader needs to answer this.

LOL I just realized this is like a civil war vs. the SBR. Tee hee.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I believe Snake will drop with MK being banned. Snake really just rides his success as being the character closest to taking down MK. All of the characters that do well on Snake though generally lose quite soundly to MK, so it doesn't matter. Since tourneys are like 90% MK, Snake likes it.
Been saying this since day one.

I heard people are disrespecting the SSBB community a lot more now, like from SRK. And the people from EVO that played other games besides brawl, are saying they don't see anything ban worthy for MK, they are accustomed to cheap infinites from their own top tier characters in their game, like Marvel vs Capcom and others. And MK does not have any infinites, like DDD, IC, and Pikachu does.
VOTE NO!
Though I agree with your conclusion, who cares what SRK says? They've shown their ignorance of competative smash again and again.

Infinite or not, it's all a matter of the match-ups, and infinites don't matter if you can't get them in anyway (looking at you wario). Mk's good match-ups come from his core attributes, not from "cheap" infinites, but if core attributes are good enough, a character is still banworthy.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I voted Anti-Ban in this poll because my vote here does not have as much weight as in the SBR. That is the only reason why I did so. I personally feel he doesn't need to be banned, so I voted it here instead of the SBR, where my personal feeling and thoughts would be actually a bit out of place. I'm still neutral, and only have a small tendency to anti-ban, especially because of people like Xyro being on the pro-ban side, and a few "arguments" this side uses in which absolutely does NOT represent what I would say.
Just in order to check that this statement doesn't drown.

I voted ban, then perhaps skilled players will win tourneys more often.
Yeaaaaa, because Mew2King, Tyrant, Dojo, and the other winning Meta Knights aren't skilled, right? RIGHT?

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I voted Anti-Ban in this poll because my vote here does not have as much weight as in the SBR. That is the only reason why I did so. I personally feel he doesn't need to be banned, so I voted it here instead of the SBR, where my personal feeling and thoughts would be actually a bit out of place. I'm still neutral, and only have a small tendency to anti-ban, especially because of people like Xyro being on the pro-ban side, and a few "arguments" this side uses in which absolutely does NOT represent what I would say.
Look sorry mate I don't buy it. You personally feel he shouldn't be banned but are neutral. That's the most elementary contradiction on the planet.

On top of that, what you've just said indicates you have no respect nor place any significance in this vote. You just come in and vote willy nilly even though that is something you're encouraged not to do under any circumstances.

Either way, what you've done is wrong and stupid, and you should be ashamed.

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
yea i know he is. the 4 or 5 euros they let in recently are all antiban(maybe gaki isnt).

istudying told me he doesn't know what to vote, so I don't think all the new europeans in the back room are antiban.

But yes, I don't think MK will get banned in Europe.

0megaZer0

Smash Lord
I can agree with a Temp Ban -- That way we can really see the effect of MK's non-existence in Tourney play...

After that, THEN we have a vote for the perma-ban!

We have to experiment first!

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
We really do need equal representation of this issue. The SBR is corrupted and should not be taken too seriously on this issue. We need, say 2 reps from every character board to vote on this.

Galuuda

Smash Journeyman
Brawl is so ****ing ******** you have to start banning a character so you don't lose.
Quit *****ing or start playing Melee, ****.

If the community decides to ban Meta Knight I refuse to do so at all future Mass Madness tournaments.
I know forums have their trolls, and melee veterans hate brawl...but melee isn't exactly the most balanced game on this earth, watch guilty gear or warcraft 3 members come on here. "LOL WHY EVEN PLAY THIS GAME? JIGGLYPUFF + MARTH DOMINATE EVERYTHING."

Stop being ignorant, think before you post. I'd say there is 1 out of every 100 in this community that are a**holes, that's awesome considering it's a gaming community, stop making that ratio worse.

If you don't like the game, don't play it or look at it's threads. Simple as that.

I voted ban.

Overclassed

Smash Journeyman
We really do need equal representation of this issue. The SBR is corrupted and should not be taken too seriously on this issue. We need, say 2 reps from every character board to vote on this.
You know, we really should have a smash senate.

2 people from every character board would be, what, 74?

That in conjunction with the SBR might be a little less suspicious.
I'm REALLY just waiting for someone to bite :=

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Look sorry mate I don't buy it. You personally feel he shouldn't be banned but are neutral. That's the most elementary contradiction on the planet.
Yes, because I do not believe he is broken, overdominant or anything else. I just don't really care about the outcome, and in order to make Xyro stop rubbing his d*ck at his stupid conspiracies, I decided not to vote in the SBR poll. If Meta Knight gets banned, I'll ban him at my events, if not, well then not. I don't give a ****.

On top of that, what you've just said indicates you have no respect nor place any significance in this vote. You just come in and vote willy nilly even though that is something you're encouraged not to do under any circumstances.
I have respect and I do place significance in this poll. However, my voting here does not have as much significance as my vote in the SBR would have. My vote alone won't make 2.5% for the outcome of this poll. Hence I think it's better to vote here - my voting here does not have as much weight as in the SBR, I repeat. That's not that I think it will have no significance at all, it's just a fact.

Why? Because I don't make full use of my rights as SBR member, but make use of my rights as normal user?

Riickable

Smash Cadet
You don't need credentials to be aware of a problem.

Overclassed

Smash Journeyman
Seriously, Spadefox.

I don;t think you can come back from this right now. And I don't mean that in a "LOL you suk" kind of way, I mean that in a "you really should have thought about the consequences of being so staunchly neutral and then voting Anti ban in a public poll".

Three things that should predate all decisions:

How will this look to my friends?

How will this look to my enemies?

How will this look in the newspaper?

And, sadly, yours looked bad in the newspaper.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'll vote yes just for the lulz.

I don't really care much honestly. Actually, I think that more low tier events should be hosted. The highest tiers are way too gay in general.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Yes:
Blue: 45
Purple: 10
Red: 12
Other: 13
Total: 80

No:
Blue: 41
Purple: 10
Red: 15
Other: 16
Total: 82
Just because people are Mods, Tournament hosts, or Broomers/Debaters/Smash Workshop BRoomers

doesn't mean ****.

Some of the mods voting for one don't play smash I know that for a fact.

Sucks but thats what you get when you have a blatantly open poll

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Yes, because I do not believe he is broken, overdominant or anything else. I just don't really care about the outcome, and in order to make Xyro stop rubbing his d*ck at his stupid conspiracies, I decided not to vote in the SBR poll. If Meta Knight gets banned, I'll ban him at my events, if not, well then not. I don't give a ****.
If you're letting personal issues interfere with what you think is the correct decision, then quite frankly, you shouldn't be voting here either.

No seriously, as a member of the SBR your vote is important, you're the people we trust to make the decisions, and the fact that you're not doing so over some petty issue with Xyro is astounding.

I may disagree with Xyro's standpoint but he has balls and balls are all it needs. Get your own pair and make the choice that you were assingned to make.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend

BS

When somebody is in a position of authority they are obligated to base how they use that authority on certain standards of behavior.

I'll give a perfect example, the US first amendment, I'll argue to the grave that personally I agree with seperation of church and state. However, that's my personal feeling, and were I a justice of the Supreme Court, I would have to note that it says, "congress shall make no law", and cannot be applied to the states (thank God for the 10th amendment and every single state giving up power over religion, freedom of speech, ect. in their state constitutions).

That's where he's coming from, this isn't an elementary school childish thing, this is just the opposite, he's refusing to allow personal feelings to govern his actions in an official capicity, and instead trying to maintain a neutral viewpoint, because he recognizes it's only his feelings that have been convinced, not his logic.

As somebody who heavily sympathizes with pro-ban on an emotional level, but doesn't think that they have logically proven their point, I understand exactly what he's saying.

hinkage

Smash Apprentice
im here to tell you, the john of "metas game is just more advanced than the rest" is exactly that,a john used by the antiban side to make the rest of us look dumb.

its 100% false. please dont drink the kool-aid
If you say so. Then

Pro ban:
Metaknight holds roughly 22% of ALL tournament places, the most of any characters. 22/100 doesn't seem like much, but this is a single character taking nearly 1/4th of ALL tournament PLACEMENTS... out of 36 characters.
22% should round DOWN to 20% making it 1/5 not 1/4. Since it's _/5 it is 3 and higher, 2 and lower. 1/4 sounds much more drastic than saying MK wins 1/5 of the amount of tourneys.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I may disagree with Xyro's standpoint but he has balls and balls are all it needs. Get your own pair and make the choice that you were assingned to make.
By the way, I loled at this.

If you don't know what I mean, take a trip to AllisBrawl and see for yourself.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Been saying this since day one.

Though I agree with your conclusion, who cares what SRK says? They've shown their ignorance of competative smash again and again.

Infinite or not, it's all a matter of the match-ups, and infinites don't matter if you can't get them in anyway (looking at you wario). Mk's good match-ups come from his core attributes, not from "cheap" infinites, but if core attributes are good enough, a character is still banworthy.
If other fighting game communities don't respect us because of our decisions, SSBB will not be sponsored in their tournaments. Like, why MLG hasn't picked up Brawl.
MK does have good core attributes, however, certain character attributes outshine his... like... there are faster characters than MK, there are more stronger characters than MK, there are more weighter characters than MK, there are more campier characters than MK, there are better comboing characters than MK, there are characters that have more disjointed hitbox ranges than MK.
The only 2 aspects MK is the best in, is his overall speed of his attacks, and his top notch recovery. So, as you can see other characters out shine MK in alot of aspects.

Zolios

Smash Apprentice
There no qualities that deem Metaknight as invincible, besides planking and stalling. Those however are banned. Every character can counter any of metaknight's moves in any fashion.

Metaknight would be the first character from any game to be banned from competitive play.

Also, this poll will do absolutely nothing in the end, as it's the tournament hosts that will decide the rules. And the tournament hosts that do ban metaknight...well have fun seeing the attendence rate plummet.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
That is a funny link Xyro especially since you're allowing MK in 2v2 at Hobo 18 as an experiment because you believe MK isn't the best in teams and is at least under GaW.

BSP

Smash Legend
There no qualities that deem Metaknight as invincible, besides planking and stalling. Those however are banned. Every character can counter any of metaknight's moves in any fashion.

Metaknight would be the first character from any game to be banned from competitive play.

Also, this poll will do absolutely nothing in the end, as it's the tournament hosts that will decide the rules. And the tournament hosts that do ban metaknight...well have fun seeing the attendence rate plummet.
Don't you mean the SBR makes the final decision?

DUCKAtl

Smash Apprentice
he's not cheap, just doesnt lag as bad, i believe that his neutral b is cheap cause little 10 year olds just use b the whole time, but if its based on his speed and "cheap" moves than go ahead and take out dedede, diddy, marth, and wolf

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
BS

When somebody is in a position of authority they are obligated to base how they use that authority on certain standards of behavior.

I'll give a perfect example, the US first amendment, I'll argue to the grave that personally I agree with seperation of church and state. However, that's my personal feeling, and were I a justice of the Supreme Court, I would have to note that it says, "congress shall make no law", and cannot be applied to the states (thank God for the 10th amendment and every single state giving up power over religion, freedom of speech, ect. in their state constitutions).

That's where he's coming from, this isn't an elementary school childish thing, this is just the opposite, he's refusing to allow personal feelings to govern his actions in an official capicity, and instead trying to maintain a neutral viewpoint, because he recognizes it's only his feelings that have been convinced, not his logic.

As somebody who heavily sympathizes with pro-ban on an emotional level, but doesn't think that they have logically proven their point, I understand exactly what he's saying.
So then he shouldn't have voted at all.
If he really felt that, he wouldn't even vote here, because even if this vote "doesn't count much", it still counts.

This is a childish thing, because he just stated that all this was to stop Xyro "waving his ****" or whatever.

That's not a valid reason, and your argument does not apply here.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
If you're letting personal issues interfere with what you think is the correct decision, then quite frankly, you shouldn't be voting here either.

No seriously, as a member of the SBR your vote is important, you're the people we trust to make the decisions, and the fact that you're not doing so over some petty issue with Xyro is astounding.

In order to understand WHY I chose to not cast my vote in the SBR itself, you should know that several American members of the SBR were trying to force us Europeans out of there.
It was mainly cast by the Pro-Ban members who were fearing that we would rig the poll inside of the SBR as it was clear that Meta Knight would not be a problem in Europe due to the differences in the metagame, and the majority would vote Anti-Ban. Several SBR members wanted us to NOT vote, and I personally gave in simply because I can understand why they wouldn't want me to.

Additionally, I still don't care. I cast my vote on the public poll, because my vote in the public poll has less significance than it has in the SBR. I AM neutral on the matter, but I have tendency to Anti-Ban, simply because of the Pro-Ban's arguments that are, to be quite frank, utter bullcrap in some cases. I'm not speaking of the write-up (that only partly), but mainly of the general statements, such as "Meta Knight destroys most of the cast", etc.

Since I do not want to change the game and the burden of proof is too heavy for several Pro-Ban users, I decided to cast a vote for Anti-Ban in the public poll.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
That is a funny link Xyro especially since you're allowing MK in 2v2 at Hobo 18 as an experiment because you believe MK isn't the best in teams and is at least under GaW.
yes IMO i think gw and wario are better than meta in teams. This is why hobo18 will be a test. I HOPE it works the way i want it too

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash

akuma was banned from SF2, just felt you should know that, and the reason no other character was banned was because they didn't break most of the games core components, mk does mainly because of his ability to have a safe option in 90% of positions

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
In order to understand WHY I chose to not cast my vote in the SBR itself, you should know that several American members of the SBR were trying to force us Europeans out of there.
It was mainly cast by the Pro-Ban members who were fearing that we would rig the poll inside of the SBR although it was clear that Meta Knight would not be a problem in Europe due to the differences in the metagame, and the majority would vote Anti-Ban. Several SBR members wanted us to NOT vote, and I personally gave in simply because I can understand why they wouldn't want me to.

Additionally, I still don't care. I cast my vote on the public poll, because my vote in the public poll has less significance than it has in the SBR. I AM neutral on the matter, but I have tendency to Anti-Ban, simply because of the Pro-Ban's arguments that are, to be quite frank, utter bullcrap in some cases. I'm not speaking of the write-up (that only partly), but mainly of the general statements, such as "Meta Knight destroys most of the cast", etc.

Since I do not want to change the game and the burden of proof is too heavy for several Pro-Ban users, I decided to cast a vote for Anti-Ban in the public poll.
The SBR sounds like a great establishment, I've never seen so many members of a group smacktalk it as much as I've seen the SBR lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom