• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fourth and final community vote about Meta Knight.

Should Meta Knight be banned from competitive Brawl?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
I'm actually gonna have to side with SBR about the 2/3 vote.

I don't want to deal with a whine fest at a tournament just because a character isn't banned and is "preventing" you from winning... As I said before, the game is still just a year old. There's still so much to do and discover.

That and no one at my school uses MK (since they think Bowser is best character for some reason >_>), hell we had a Ness win a tournament before.
They must be massive Gimpyfish fans to think Bowser is the best in Brawl.

Genome Squirrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkCoffee
The more I think about it, the more I dislike this being the final community poll regarding this. To me, taking the community out of the equation kind of says "We're sorry, we don't think you're informed enough to make a reasonable decision that will affect how you play this game for the rest of its lifespan." I mean, I'm kind of bugged that Hylian and Alphazealot (the two guys who basically "hire" all SBR members) both support the anti-ban side AND that it requires a 2/3 vote to pass when the community itself is only worth 2 votes. With what I already said, the community's vote for a pro-ban is already negated from the get-go so I'm sitting here, drumming my fingers and already annoyed that I can't get my wii's wifi to work, thinking why even bother doing four polls in the first place when the end result is just the community being cut from the equation, regardless of which side they support?
In all fairness, it's an internet poll. Nuff said.

Titanium Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Well, firstly, the first ban side argument is a scrub argument. Neither are viable criteria for banning. ACTUAL criteria for banning are:

1) The game ceases to be competitive (basically, the game devolves down to one, possibly random, thing).
2) The game ceases to have variety (Akuma).
3) The game ceases to function (any glitch which makes the game not work at all).

Now, obviously 1 is false - the game is still competitive, and metaknight vs metaknight matches are still real matches, as are most matches with metaknight.

3 is also false - while the infinite dimensional cape glitch CAN render MK invulnerable forever, it is banned. It is arguable that certain things MK is capable of can cause similar issues (planking), MK is not the only character who can do it, just the best at it. Reality is that planking is broken because of the invisibility mechanics of the ledges, and its not a MK specific issue. We had to ban a number of stages due to circle camping, and indeed, if we were to go by the "makes stuff be banned" argument, the #1 offender would not be MK, but rather DeDeDe, who requires us to, by himself, ban every stage with walk-off edges. This is, incidentally, part of the reason that MK is so strong - we banned a lot of stages to deal with DeDeDe which are MK's worst. It doesn't help that the netural stagelist is a bad one - several stages which should be in the neutral stagelist aren't due to scrubby dislike of them.

2 is the real argument, then - overcentralization. And if we look at this argument, it is weak.

22% is a lot, but the idea that it is compared to "36 characters" is just plain wrong. Some characters are multi-characters (shiek/zelda and samus/zss) and some are borderline (Pokemon Trainer). However, the real issue is that all 36 characters will NEVER be viable. At least two of them - Ganondorf and Link - have such crippling weaknesses as to render them virtually unplayable. DK is not mainable because of King DeDeDe, and it is arguable that Bowser is not mainable as well for the same reason, but both are playable in tournaments under the right conditions. So really, you're looking at 32 characters who are really mainable. And it is arguable that the number of unplayable characters is more like 4 or 6.

Beyond that, however, there will always be a best character, and some characters will always be overrepresented relative to others. If you were to ban MK, Snake would make up at least 17% of the metagame, which is not all that much less than 22%. Obviously DeDeDe is far lower, but the same argument could be applied against snake as metaknight - so clearly, just making up 22% is not enough. Moreover, in other games (SSBM, for example), some characters have historically and do make up a huge percentage of the metagame, particularly Fox, Falco, Shiek, and Marth, and at various times have been quite dominant.

Is Metaknight the best character in the game by a significant margin? Sure. But that's not really important. There will ALWAYS be a best character, and oftentimes it will be by an appreciable margin. Ban MK, and Snake will be best. The difference between DeDeDe and the next character is much smaller than the difference between Snake and DeDeDe, and indeed the difference between MK and Snake is smaller than the difference between Snake and DeDeDe. MK is not unbeatably better.

Metaknight does not have perfect recovery. He has extremely good recovery, the best in the game, but there are ways of disrupting it. He can be edgeguarded, but not in the same way as everyone else. There are ways of hitting him out of every single move he has, including the tornado.

As for the argument that MK has no counterpicks, it is arguable that he does indeed have some, such as Diddy, and really, if MK really WAS so good, we'd expect a much higher level of dominance than we see. Not every top calibur player does play MK, which is precisely what they should be doing if he truly is the best. This means that, in some way, they don't think he's a better choice than whatever they are playing, for whatever reason. This does not necessarily mean that he is not the best character in the game, but rather that they feel that he is not the best choice for them to play.

The community favoring the ban is irrelevant, as much of the community is made up of scrubs. Tons of CounterStrike servers ban the AWP, but that doesn't mean it SHOULD be banned - it means a lot of people suck at counterstrike and/or blame their problems on something other than their own lack of skill. Scrubs are scrubs, and tournaments are for competitive play, not for scrubby play.

As for the MK specific rules, the ONLY MK specific rule is the IDC glitch. But it isn't the only character-specific rule. For example, stages with permanent walk-off edges are banned due to DeDeDe (which, incidentally, gives MK a further advantage, because the stages on which his recovery and edgegame are worse are mostly banned), the "kill at 300%" rule exists due to just a small number of things (DeDeDe, ICs), and stalling and planking are not unique to MK - a number of characters can stall or plank, and indeed, we had to ban all of the stages on which "circle camping" is possible for exactly this reason.

Ease of use is, obviously, a meaningless piece of data, and is scrub talk anyway - it doesn't matter how easy something is it use, what matters is how effectively you can use it. CGing with DeDeDe is incredibly easy; does that mean we should ban DeDeDe? No.

I'm not sure why this conversation is even being had. I know the community is incredibly scrubby; EVERYONE knows this except the scrubs in it.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Smash community IS scrubby.
*looks @ the ledge grab rule*

BBQTV

Smash Master
Well, firstly, the first ban side argument is a scrub argument. Neither are viable criteria for banning. ACTUAL criteria for banning are:

1) The game ceases to be competitive (basically, the game devolves down to one, possibly random, thing).
2) The game ceases to have variety (Akuma).
3) The game ceases to function (any glitch which makes the game not work at all).

Now, obviously 1 is false - the game is still competitive, and metaknight vs metaknight matches are still real matches, as are most matches with metaknight.

3 is also false - while the infinite dimensional cape glitch CAN render MK invulnerable forever, it is banned. It is arguable that certain things MK is capable of can cause similar issues (planking), MK is not the only character who can do it, just the best at it. Reality is that planking is broken because of the invisibility mechanics of the ledges, and its not a MK specific issue. We had to ban a number of stages due to circle camping, and indeed, if we were to go by the "makes stuff be banned" argument, the #1 offender would not be MK, but rather DeDeDe, who requires us to, by himself, ban every stage with walk-off edges. This is, incidentally, part of the reason that MK is so strong - we banned a lot of stages to deal with DeDeDe which are MK's worst. It doesn't help that the netural stagelist is a bad one - several stages which should be in the neutral stagelist aren't due to scrubby dislike of them.

2 is the real argument, then - overcentralization. And if we look at this argument, it is weak.

22% is a lot, but the idea that it is compared to "36 characters" is just plain wrong. Some characters are multi-characters (shiek/zelda and samus/zss) and some are borderline (Pokemon Trainer). However, the real issue is that all 36 characters will NEVER be viable. At least two of them - Ganondorf and Link - have such crippling weaknesses as to render them virtually unplayable. DK is not mainable because of King DeDeDe, and it is arguable that Bowser is not mainable as well for the same reason, but both are playable in tournaments under the right conditions. So really, you're looking at 32 characters who are really mainable. And it is arguable that the number of unplayable characters is more like 4 or 6.

Beyond that, however, there will always be a best character, and some characters will always be overrepresented relative to others. If you were to ban MK, Snake would make up at least 17% of the metagame, which is not all that much less than 22%. Obviously DeDeDe is far lower, but the same argument could be applied against snake as metaknight - so clearly, just making up 22% is not enough. Moreover, in other games (SSBM, for example), some characters have historically and do make up a huge percentage of the metagame, particularly Fox, Falco, Shiek, and Marth, and at various times have been quite dominant.

Is Metaknight the best character in the game by a significant margin? Sure. But that's not really important. There will ALWAYS be a best character, and oftentimes it will be by an appreciable margin. Ban MK, and Snake will be best. The difference between DeDeDe and the next character is much smaller than the difference between Snake and DeDeDe, and indeed the difference between MK and Snake is smaller than the difference between Snake and DeDeDe. MK is not unbeatably better.

Metaknight does not have perfect recovery. He has extremely good recovery, the best in the game, but there are ways of disrupting it. He can be edgeguarded, but not in the same way as everyone else. There are ways of hitting him out of every single move he has, including the tornado.

As for the argument that MK has no counterpicks, it is arguable that he does indeed have some, such as Diddy, and really, if MK really WAS so good, we'd expect a much higher level of dominance than we see. Not every top calibur player does play MK, which is precisely what they should be doing if he truly is the best. This means that, in some way, they don't think he's a better choice than whatever they are playing, for whatever reason. This does not necessarily mean that he is not the best character in the game, but rather that they feel that he is not the best choice for them to play.

The community favoring the ban is irrelevant, as much of the community is made up of scrubs. Tons of CounterStrike servers ban the AWP, but that doesn't mean it SHOULD be banned - it means a lot of people suck at counterstrike and/or blame their problems on something other than their own lack of skill. Scrubs are scrubs, and tournaments are for competitive play, not for scrubby play.

As for the MK specific rules, the ONLY MK specific rule is the IDC glitch. But it isn't the only character-specific rule. For example, stages with permanent walk-off edges are banned due to DeDeDe (which, incidentally, gives MK a further advantage, because the stages on which his recovery and edgegame are worse are mostly banned), the "kill at 300%" rule exists due to just a small number of things (DeDeDe, ICs), and stalling and planking are not unique to MK - a number of characters can stall or plank, and indeed, we had to ban all of the stages on which "circle camping" is possible for exactly this reason.

Ease of use is, obviously, a meaningless piece of data, and is scrub talk anyway - it doesn't matter how easy something is it use, what matters is how effectively you can use it. CGing with DeDeDe is incredibly easy; does that mean we should ban DeDeDe? No.

I'm not sure why this conversation is even being had. I know the community is incredibly scrubby; EVERYONE knows this except the scrubs in it.
magnificent

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Me and avarice and spadefox said this more than 1 time, pro ban just never answered these arguments.
I remember reading similar posts over 12 times...

I'm marking this post in case I have to bring this up again...

Nice work! :)

swordgard

Smash Hero
Anyone wants me to point out the tons of mistakes made by praxis in his document about why mk is "broken"?

If i get enough people il do it, his arguments are pretty bad lol.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Wtf why do you care if people want you to

do it if you want to, that's it

swordgard

Smash Hero
Wtf why do you care if people want you to

do it if you want to, that's it
Its a long document, i could do it, but im wondering if people are gonna read it. So yeah >.<

I got to burn/install windows 7 ultimate on my laptop either way, so if i have time during installation, anyone wants me to do it?

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Its a long document, i could do it, but im wondering if people are gonna read it. So yeah >.<

I got to burn/install windows 7 ultimate on my laptop either way, so if i have time during installation, anyone wants me to do it?
I'll make them read it... :mad:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm debating whether or not to rebuttal Dragon's post because it's stuff that's been talked about already as early as like the first dozen pages. It's already been revealed that the community's vote has already been negated and that the anti-ban side already leads by a significant margin in the SBR. On top of that, it's been revealed that the SBR wants to make this a closed doors discussion for the rest of this game's lifespan so, obviously, things will never change. Because of this, I can't truly even debate anymore because my side has already lost so and the mere mention of this would make any arguement I make moot points. With that in mind, should I keep feeding this farce of a fire or should I simply become lethargic to what ever happens to offline competitive Brawl? Really, I personally don't lose anything if offline Brawl collapses but I know a majority of the people here would rather be teabagged by Donkey Kong than play Brawl online as it's questionable if BBrawl and Brawl+ will ever have a strong offline tournament following because of the complications of hacking so... *lights a cigarette and then eats it*

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
The Smash Bros community: Some people do stuff and everyone else rides their meat

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
i love how titanium dragon's regurgitation of **** that has been said before is this magnificent post

but no one really understands that MetaKnight is kept from being played at full potential...

how can I show the truth?

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
i love how titanium dragon's regurgitation of **** that has been said before is this magnificent post

but no one really understands that MetaKnight is kept from being played at full potential...

By getting hard evidence instead of spouting random theory that goes against the evidence we already have.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I'm debating whether or not to rebuttal Dragon's post because it's stuff that's been talked about already as early as like the first dozen pages. It's already been revealed that the community's vote has already been negated and that the anti-ban side already leads by a significant margin in the SBR. On top of that, it's been revealed that the SBR wants to make this a closed doors discussion for the rest of this game's lifespan so, obviously, things will never change. Because of this, I can't truly even debate anymore because my side has already lost so and the mere mention of this would make any arguement I make moot points. With that in mind, should I keep feeding this farce of a fire or should I simply become lethargic to what ever happens to offline competitive Brawl? Really, I personally don't lose anything if offline Brawl collapses but I know a majority of the people here would rather be teabagged by Donkey Kong than play Brawl online as it's questionable if BBrawl and Brawl+ will ever have a strong offline tournament following because of the complications of hacking so... *lights a cigarette and then eats it*
that resized part... yea, pretty much that
The Smash Bros community: Some people do stuff and everyone else rides their meat
Fighting game communities as a whole: Some people do stuff and everyone else rides their meat. I mean, SF almost banned Seth just cus J Wong said so

Dont ask questions to which you already know the answer.

You have to play MK and employ broken tactics in tourney.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
You could, you know, use MK. If people won't ban him, just take their money. It's free money if you're any good at this game.

I'm not complaining. :D

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
This was obvious from page one.

It was known that this wouldn't have much of an impact on the total vote unless one side held a large read. It was known that it wouldn't have a large lead because of the three other polls that didn't have a large lead. It could have been implied that anti-ban would have a lead in the S.B.R. because the last vote they did, they said there were 3/4ths anti-ban, and 1/4ths pro-ban.

You can't honestly have just now realized that this poll wouldn't have a large impact on the overall vote, and deny to target any arguments because of this.

GigaBowserXyZ

Smash Journeyman
You could, you know, use MK. If people won't ban him, just take their money. It's free money if you're any good at this game.

I'm not complaining. :D
yea and tell the guys who picked anti ban "u can't john about mk cause u picked anti ban."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom