• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

Senliten

Smash Lord
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten
Wait till L+ mode~
Ended up resorting to abusing golden gaffe dlc to just transfer over an old DK MU to do all the heavy lifting. Don't feel guilty bout it either, cause mother effing silver weapons so early. Made me wish every last enemy npc's family a slow.. miserable... and painful death XD

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Reclassing characters to War Monk/Cleric and training with Bronze Axes can be a real pain, but the Renewal skill is so worth it.

I have Laurent, Miriel, Brady, Emmeryn (Sages), Maribelle (Valkyrie), Sumia (Dark Flier) and Kellam (General) with that skill, which greatly helps them to stay alive. Laurent, Miriel, Brady and Maribelle also have the Lifetaker skill from the Dark Knight class.

Emmeryn has Relief too, which, when away from other units, boosts her recovery per turn from 30% to 50% which actually works, since I mainly use her as a healer with Physic and Fortify staffs. Her Mag cap at 50 makes her an excellent healer when using Fortify staffs, recovering a good amount of health in a range so big it usually covers the entire map.

Regarding the children, in my game, Brady's father is Vaike and Laurent's father is Libra.

I think Kellam x Sully might be an excellent pairing for those who want Kjelle as a General. Having access to both Paladin and General grants her both Pavise and Aegis skills, while also having access to the War Cleric class for the Renewal skill, making her a very durable unit.

I have Kjelle as Chrom's daughter in my game, so while her defense isn't as good as Kellam's (49 vs. Kellam's 53), she has Aether that allows her to attack and gain some health.

I've been training all my units for skills and capped stats. I admit it's been kind of tedious sometimes, but some of the harder DLC maps will require a powerful team.

I actually don't resort much to Nosferatu tanking. Instead, I mainly use Ruin, Waste and Mire for the dark magic users.

I have Henry with the Wrath and Vengeance skills and have him use Ruin tomes, becoming quite deadly when under 50% HP. His Def stat of 42 allows him to survive some hits and with the Hex and Anathema skills on play, he avoids a good amount of attacks and has quite good durability. His Tomebreaker skill pretty much makes him a very good mage killer.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Some of it you can't skip. (forced watched battle text, conversations with bosses that you can't skip with start)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
You can hold down on the d-pad and press A to make the text go really fast. Useful if you want to skip battle text.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Chapter 17 on lunatic is horrible. Kjelle has aegis from her mom and got pavis as a general. Giving her a blessed lance to slightly heal her

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
So um, I should have asked before I got 2 missions in, but in Fire Emblem Awakening, can you change the difficulty you're playing at without having to re-start your whole file? I picked what I thought was the "normal" difficulty, but apparently it turns out to be the "easy" one, and I kinda want to turn it up to the actual normal one without having to restart, if possible.

nessokman

Smash Lord
How am I doing? I kept donnell alive, but didn't recruit him. I lost kellam and gaius. Difficulty- lunatic

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
In terms of difficulty, Advanced Wars doesn't come close. Both series are turn based strategy but two different worlds.
I honestly think Fire Emblem is a better "player vs. game" game while Advance Wars is a better "player vs. player" game, mostly because FE has a lot of RNG usage in battle, level ups, skills etc. while AW's RNG usage is only really lucky hits. Getting perfect scores in Campaign and the War Room are really down to manipulating how the AI acts like in FE, but without the possible BS of hitting/missing/crits. Both are really good grid-based strategy games in that way imo, and I love IS for them (really wish there was another AW game though :( ).

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
One thing I remember not liking about Advance War games (especially Days of Ruin, as Dual Strike was actually pretty nice) is that it'll often kind of force you to approach a map one way and just do one strategy to win. Essentially it'll sometimes make it so you do what it wants you to do, or you die. Every single time.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I honestly think Fire Emblem is a better "player vs. game" game while Advance Wars is a better "player vs. player" game, mostly because FE has a lot of RNG usage in battle, level ups, skills etc. while AW's RNG usage is only really lucky hits. Getting perfect scores in Campaign and the War Room are really down to manipulating how the AI acts like in FE, but without the possible BS of hitting/missing/crits. Both are really good grid-based strategy games in that way imo, and I love IS for them (really wish there was another AW game though :( ).

That's a given though. The AW series has campaign but also a customizable multiplayer setup, while Fire Emblem does have SpotPass and Arena in previous installments, it's not the major focus of the game like the multiplayer component of AW.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think I might do a run on Lunatic, but on Newcomer Mode, instead of Classic.

So far, I have one save file on Normal/Classic and I'm almost done maxing all my characters to face the hardest DLCs when they get released here in Europe.
Once I've cleared all DLC maps, I might start a playthrough on Hard/Classic or Lunatic/Newcomer.

I heard that the DLC maps' difficulty level doesn't change with the save file's difficulty, but I could be wrong...

nessokman

Smash Lord
I think I might do a run on Lunatic, but on Newcomer Mode, instead of Classic.

So far, I have one save file on Normal/Classic and I'm almost done maxing all my characters to face the hardest DLCs when they get released here in Europe.
Once I've cleared all DLC maps, I might start a playthrough on Hard/Classic or Lunatic/Newcomer.

I heard that the DLC maps' difficulty level doesn't change with the save file's difficulty, but I could be wrong...
Don't skip from normal to lunatic unless you are begging for a kick in the teeth, Do hard/classic first. Lunatic is the mode where for the first 5 chapters, frederick is the only reliable character, none of the others can take a single hit. (chrom can take one i think) You have to tough it out until you get to the point where youu can grind the DLC.
If you DO have a death wish, I'd suggest partnering chrom and frederick, it is an odd move, but the speed boost makes it easier for fred to dodge enemy attacks. Also, watch out for people who use hammers, as they will one shot kill fred, best to stay out of their range while picking off their friends, then weakening them with virion/MU so that fred can finish them in a single hit.be sure to give fred vulneraries so he can heal himself, as he will need to stay far away from lissa to keep her from being one hit killed. when fighting the boss of chapter 4, (arena ferox border) you can pair vaike to fred for a strength +4 boost

Fred becomes worthless later on.

The DLC maps are harder by difficulty, I believe tha game said that at one point.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I've checked Serenes Forest and DLC maps vary by difficulty with the exception of the Golden Pack maps and Apotheosis.

telemaster

Chime and Twang
NNID
telemaster
in my lunatic run, i pretty much stopped using fred at 1-4 (i think the one where you get kellam, and i think my fred died the chapter after). MU was ****** everything with chrom support and then cordelia support. didnt grind and only shopped a couple times. i abused armsthrift and sol and thats about it i think.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
So what's everyone's best unit?
Mine is Nah, she's an absolute beast.
VVVV my Nah below

Some feedback on her would be nice too.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Iron Sword OP.

I dunno if she's my best, but I really like my Swordmaster Morgan.

Morgan / Swordmaster
@ Amatsu, Sol
- Swordfaire
- Galeforce
- Aegis
- Pavise
- Armsthrift

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So what's everyone's best unit?
Mine is Nah, she's an absolute beast.
VVVV my Nah below

Some feedback on her would be nice too.
Skills are Limit Breaker, Astra, Lifetaker, Lethality and Galeforce, yes? The Lifetaker and Galeforce combo is beastly and worth the grinding. With 52 Skill, Lethality has good activation chances, same for Astra. It's a very good skillset, indeed.

The only thing left for her is getting a good rank on Swords. With her Str at just one point less than her Mag, she could be good on both magical and physical attacks, defeating most foes with ease.

One of my best units would be Kjelle.
Class: General
Parents: Chrom / Sully
Stats: 80 HP, 51 Str, 20 Mag, 45 Skill, 39 Spd, 47 Lck, 49 Def, 35 Res
Skills: Aether, Pavise, Luna, Aegis and Vantage

Severa isn't bad though...
Class: Bow Knight
Parents: Lon'qu / Cordelia
Stats: 80 HP, 42 Str, 20 Mag, 49 Skill, 47 Spd, 45 Lck, 34 Def, 28 Res
Skills: Armsthrift, Astra, Sol, Galeforce and Lifetaker

(Both their Mag stats aren't maxed, by the way.)

Well, what is there to say? Both are nothing compared to that Nah, but they are not bad either. I don't have the Limit Breaker skill, meaning no higher stat caps.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'd switch your Nah to a class that doesn't have crappy caps.

Like Dread Fighter, if you have the DLC. Or Hero/Assassin if the magic isn't important to you.

BlueSuperSonic1

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. Dark Knight isn't that great of a class. Since Raziek's suggestion of Dread Fighter is impossible, I could recommend using Dark Flier instead of Dark Knight. It has better stats, gives awesome pair-up bonuses, and allows you to still use magic and have great mobility (though she'll have lances instead of swords.) On a side note, I've been playing FE4 lately, and I have to say, being unable to double (without the Pursuit skill) and being unable to trade is really odd for me. There's also the fact that chapters in the game take a really long time due to there being less of them.

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
So I'm stuck on Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, Chapter 5. My cousin keeps telling me that Joshua is amazing, but I can't tell you how many hours I've tried to defeat everyone else and get him to be on my team...

Attempt #1: Someone died - better restart.
Attempt #2: Someone died - better restart.
Attempt #3: Someone died - better restart.
Attempt #4: Someone died - better restart.
Attempt #5: Someone died - better restart.
Attempt #6: Someone died - better restart.
Attempt #7: Joshua attacks Seth and gets OHKO'ed - better restart.
Attempt #8: Someone died - better restart.
Attempt #9: Someone died - better restart.

So that's where I'm at, lol. I just don't even know if I want to continue. It's a combination of impatience, poor positioning, and lack of knowledge of the game that is just making me fail time and time again.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Yeah. Dark Knight isn't that great of a class. Since Raziek's suggestion of Dread Fighter is impossible, I could recommend using Dark Flier instead of Dark Knight. It has better stats, gives awesome pair-up bonuses, and allows you to still use magic and have great mobility (though she'll have lances instead of swords.) On a side note, I've been playing FE4 lately, and I have to say, being unable to double (without the Pursuit skill) and being unable to trade is really odd for me. There's also the fact that chapters in the game take a really long time due to there being less of them.
Alright, thanks (Raziek too).
Dark Flier it is.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Silly Raziek, Dread Fighters are for boys.

So that's where I'm at, lol. I just don't even know if I want to continue. It's a combination of impatience, poor positioning, and lack of knowledge of the game that is just making me fail time and time again.

Always check Joshua's range. Don't move anything weak to him, and clear all the other enemies while staying outside the range. Once everything is safe, move Natasha just outside his reach and send a tank like Seth or Gilliam to the farthest possible square. In Seth's case you might just wanna unequip him since he should have enough Defense, and for Gilliam's case Gilliam is too slow to double him which prevents any risk of killing Joshua. Once that's done you just have Natasha move two squares and you can recruit him.

But yeah Joshua is pretty awesome.

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
Silly Raziek, Dread Fighters are for boys.

Always check Joshua's range. Don't move anything weak to him, and clear all the other enemies while staying outside the range. Once everything is safe, move Natasha just outside his reach and send a tank like Seth or Gilliam to the farthest possible square. In Seth's case you might just wanna unequip him since he should have enough Defense, and for Gilliam's case Gilliam is too slow to double him which prevents any risk of killing Joshua. Once that's done you just have Natasha move two squares and you can recruit him.

But yeah Joshua is pretty awesome.
That's basically what my cousin said.

I don't know. This is my first Fire Emblem game, and I just feel like I was thrown in without any instruction. I don't really know what I'm doing. I don't know what weapons are better than others, which characters I should be using, or just basic gameplay mechanics (like what dictates when/why a character attacks twice and why it seems so random).

But thanks for the comment.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Basic FE stuff:

Weapon triangle. Swords beat Axes, Axes beat Lances, Lances beat Swords. If units using two of these weapons fight, the one with the winning weapon gets a slight damage and accuracy boost, while the loser gets a penalty. You want to use this to your advantage; if you have to clear out a bunch of Lance users, try and get an Axe user to do so. In Sacred Stones, there's a magic triangle too: Light > Dark, Dark > Anima, Anima > Light.

Character choice depends a lot on availability, base stats, team dynamics, and personal preference. This is something you should kinda just figure out for yourself. A general rule though; every game gives you one really strong unit at the beginning (in your case, Seth). Try to refrain from using them as much as possible so your weaker units can gain experience and become stronger.

Double attacking is determined by attack speed. If your attack speed is at least 4 higher than your opponent's, you will double attack them. Attack speed is equal to the unit's Speed stat, unless they have an equipped weapon whos Weight is greater than the unit's Con (i.e. the unit gets slowed down by the weight of the weapon). In this case, the difference between weapon Weight and Con is subtracted from the Speed stat, and that is the attack speed.

So I'm stuck on Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, Chapter 5. My cousin keeps telling me that Joshua is amazing, but I can't tell you how many hours I've tried to defeat everyone else and get him to be on my team...

Attempt #1: Someone died - better restart.
Attempt #2: Someone died - better restart.
Attempt #3: Someone died - better restart.
Attempt #4: Someone died - better restart.
Attempt #5: Someone died - better restart.
Attempt #6: Someone died - better restart.
Attempt #7: Joshua attacks Seth and gets OHKO'ed - better restart.
Attempt #8: Someone died - better restart.
Attempt #9: Someone died - better restart.

Quick heads up that might make getting Joshua a helluva lot easier. You do not need to put a unit within his range to lure him in to have Natasha talk to him for recruiting. Joshua will not attack Natasha when she is within range. So, use that to your advantage. The downside to this is that enemies will keep getting in the way for a number of turns before Natasha can move into position safely and recruit on the following turn.

For completing this chapter, I think the enemies on the left side of the map will not advance southward unless you enter their range. So, you can either ignore that route completely or just send like one unit to tanks hits and slowly move up. There will be two brigands showing up on the right at the start of turn 2. I usually always just placed Eirika and Colm side by side to block the brigands path (the stronger one off the forest while the weaker on on the forest). But, I do not have them attack on player phase. I only ever have the brigands attacks on the enemy phase.

The rest is just move up 2-3 units up the center set of stairs to lure in that axe fighter, soldier, and archer. Then, have another couple of units lure in the two axe fighters, and solider just below Joshua all by turn 2-3 and have the knocked out. From there, you should only have a couple of enemies left in the way and you can finally go and recruit Natasha once the nearby nemies to JOshua are cleared out. From there, its just taking out the rest of the enemies one-by-one and making sure to catch the brigands in their attack range before they reach any villages.

nessokman

Smash Lord
My lucina is guaranteed to get sol every time she attacks/counter attacks. If she isn't getting sol, she gets aether...

On a side note, did anyone get the $30 offer? I did. Traded in Wii games and ended up paying $12 for SMT IV. I bought a $20 card as well. So I got mario kart 7 (lost my actual cartridge) for $10 brcsusr of the $30.I hate downloading games new, I'd rather have the cartridge but since no eshop games interested me I got mk7

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Minor brain-fart on the Dread Fighter thing. Class is amaze balls though.

My Nah is a Hero using Helswath for 2-range goodness.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I've been playing Blazing Sword lately.

After having it hyped as the best Fire Emblem game ever I really hope it picks up soon, because I think when I was keeping track of points it was at -5 "best Fire Emblem" points.

The battle sprites are nifty though.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I've been playing Blazing Sword lately.

After having it hyped as the best Fire Emblem game ever I really hope it picks up soon, because I think when I was keeping track of points it was at -5 "best Fire Emblem" points.

The battle sprites are nifty though.
If you've already played Awakening, you may not find it to be better, as Nostalgia goggles do that a bit.

I personally rank Awakening as my favorite, with 7/9/10 on the tier right below it.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm not even sure between Awakening, and PoR/Radiant Dawn. While I'm not the biggest fan of Radiant Dawn, I tend to think of the two games collectively now. And PoR was fun times for everyone.

Even though, Awakening and Shadow Dragon did stuff I liked plenty too.

Whenever I get done with FE7 though, I've also got a rom for Sacred Stones, and a 16 hour car ride. I'm good to go. :p

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Sacred Stones is pretty much just objectively not as good. It's like Blazing Sword without the difficulty, but they were trying new things. Some of those ideas (like Valni/Ruins) were refined a bit and did better in Awakening.

Really the only reason I like Sacred Stones is that I REALLY like a lot of the character designs. Ephraim, Colm, Natasha, Josh, Lute, Tana, Gerik, Innes, Marisa, L'Arachel and Knoll made the game worth playing for me. Especially Josh.

majora_787

Smash Hero
A cramped vehicle on a long drive is probably a bad time for difficulty anyway. :p But I guess I'll see how I like it when I play it.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I've played the series in this order: Blazing Sword -> Sacred Stones -> Radiant Dawn -> Path of Radiance -> Shadow Dragon -> Sword of Seals -> Awakening

I never got to finish RD, PoR, or SD, but Blazing Sword is still easily my favorite if only because it introduced the series to everyone else. And Hector can carry us all.

Top Bottom