• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm still in Eliwood's story so I guess we'll see. But I actually played like...

Shadow Dragon > Path of Radiance > Radiant Dawn > Awakening > Blazing Sword > Sacred Stones

Blazing Sword being in progress and Sacred Stones being my next play. I don't have ROMs for stuff like Sword of Seals or anything. Path of Radiance is probably my favorite, but I'm not sure between that and Awakening. I mean Path of Radiance had Haar and Nephenee, and things like Ashnard and the Black Knight. But Awakening had a customizable unit, a second generation, Yen'fay, Walhart, Tiki, and Grima. I just don't know.

But honestly, I hope that there is another Fire Emblem game in the future that does a second generation, only normally and without the time travel shenanigans. The idea of a single game that transcends a single generation of heroism appeals to me. Not sure why.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I've only played two Fire Emblem games: Radiant Dawn and Awakening.

I have done two playthroughs on Radiant Dawn and I've finished the main story and all Side Stories (incl. SpotPass ones) in Awakening.

The series is really good and I wish I was a 3DS ambassador so I could play Sacred Stones. What is Nintendo waiting for to release the GBA FEs?

3.14lot

Smash Rookie
sacred stones is my favorite. the remake of 3 is probably my runner-up.

i wish i had ambassador on my 3DS just so i could have sacred stones with me all the time. for some reason, i doubt that they are going to rerelease FE7 any time soon, though.

BlueSuperSonic1

Smash Journeyman
I'm still in Eliwood's story so I guess we'll see. But I actually played like...

Shadow Dragon > Path of Radiance > Radiant Dawn > Awakening > Blazing Sword > Sacred Stones

Blazing Sword being in progress and Sacred Stones being my next play. I don't have ROMs for stuff like Sword of Seals or anything. Path of Radiance is probably my favorite, but I'm not sure between that and Awakening. I mean Path of Radiance had Haar and Nephenee, and things like Ashnard and the Black Knight. But Awakening had a customizable unit, a second generation, Yen'fay, Walhart, Tiki, and Grima. I just don't know.

But honestly, I hope that there is another Fire Emblem game in the future that does a second generation, only normally and without the time travel shenanigans. The idea of a single game that transcends a single generation of heroism appeals to me. Not sure why.
Genealogy of the Holy War does exactly that. It has a second generation without time travel, with the first generation characters being used for the first half of the game and the second generation for the latter half. Although you'd have to play a translated ROM as it wasn't released outside of Japan.

3.14lot

Smash Rookie
the only translation for genealogy that i know of has everything but character epilogues.

i love how awakening was such a love letter to the entire series. too bad it was not a better game.

telemaster

Chime and Twang
NNID
telemaster
RD, PoR, BS, SS, Awakening. I like RD and Awakening the best of these 5. I liked RD because of the chars, limits on what skills you assign each char, and 4 part epic story with DB and GM. Awakening is customizable you can play it however you want and the chars are great too. I miss the SHOVE move from PoR and RD.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I miss the SHOVE move from PoR and RD.
I miss that too. Same for Canto for the mounted units, but I already got used to that.

I liked the story in RD with the four parts and team changes, but it also screwed over character availability.
Tormod, Muarim and Vika's case was particularly jarring as they appeared as pre-promoted units in Part 1 and were quite overpowered, only to return in Part 4, completely underleveled. The map where they return does have a neat trick to train those guys and they can easily catch up with the rest of your units without wasting too much EXP on the rest of the team.

Capturing and fatigue. I thought I wouldn't like the mechanic at first, but its quite fun to have around. Its not too hard to get around either if you train an adequate amount of units. Capturing is probably the most fun.

I imagine what would have happen if they had all possible menu options open at the same time lol

Staff
Attack
Wait
Rescue
Ride/Dismount
Support
Talk
Capture
Shove
Trade
Item
Smite
Howl
Roar

Uhhh... I feel I am missing some.

BlueSuperSonic1

Smash Journeyman
I believe you're missing Pair Up off the top of my head.I think there's also Help which assists civilians in FE4. Also, don't Fatigue and Capture only appear in Thracia?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Capture makes sense in a realistic world where you take your enemies' weapons.

Still shove is really really useful. Like i have units dedicted to shoving/smiting in PoR and RD (usually a tiger)

3.14lot

Smash Rookie
i hate how awakening made pairing units a good thing. i thought the rescue mechanic was better - you deserve debuffs for having one of your guys not take damage.

awakening felt like it needed better balancing.

shove was cool but i hated PoR.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Also missing Transfer, Separate, Rally, Gamble (PoR), Steal, Sacrifice, Savior (though it replaces Rescue right?), Flourish, Reinforce, and Dance/Play/Galdr to that list of all commands.

I also got SMT IV for the SMT X FE hype. I dunno how it is as a first SMT game, but I'm loving it. OST too good. I used the $30 eShop credit for the new Mii Plaza games and the DLC in SMT IV.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Can also add door

also you can't have steal, sacrifice, and play/gladr/dance with dismounting and crap.. also roar and howl are laguz only stuff too

majora_787

Smash Hero
Alright. FE7 is a big old nope. It has railroaded me into being unable to progress by blocking me off from a level with locked doors, and not letting me buy lockpicks or keys / at least give me some to start the map. Looks like I'm starting FE8 sooner than expected, because I really don't want to restart FE7 and try to remember to save a single door key for chapter 26.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Underleveling and poor game design are two different problems. And underleveling is never one of mine in Fire Emblem games.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
hey that was my first time ever playing fire emblem. I had to quit the run because Hector would die 100% to bolting every single time :[ no matter how much i tried to make him run away. Course i didn't even know about rescuing then LOL

Also, doesn't chapter 26 have a door key drop from enemies? Pretty sure that's how it works for when you HAVE to use a door.

nessokman

Smash Lord
That is one thing I absolutely love about this series. The games are very loosely connected. Awakening connected several well. You don't HAVE to play one to understand the other-(POR and RD maybe) but it is a cool series anyone can jump into.

Anywho I just got priam in awakening. I would send my galeforce characters in, then have staff users rescue them back.

majora_787

Smash Hero
hey that was my first time ever playing fire emblem. I had to quit the run because Hector would die 100% to bolting every single time :[ no matter how much i tried to make him run away. Course i didn't even know about rescuing then LOL

Also, doesn't chapter 26 have a door key drop from enemies? Pretty sure that's how it works for when you HAVE to use a door.
That'd be amazingly helpful if the entire level, enemies included, weren't on the opposite side of the locked doors from my whole army.

Seriously, this layout was a terrible idea.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Ok i'm assuming Eliwood chapter 26. There should definitely be enemies in the fog of war to your right before the door.

Yea this map is a fog of war map if you didn't realize why you couldn't see enemies before the door to your right

BlueSuperSonic1

Smash Journeyman
At least you didn't show up to the final chapter with all your lords at like level 5.. and Eliwood at level 5/1
How did that happen? Did you just completely avoid using Eliwood despite the fact that you're required to deploy him in every chapter?

Also, I've been playing Thracia recently. The game certainly seems to live up to its reputation. Leif is so bad. His only redeeming factor is the Light Brand and even then he has no magic to use it that well. He's alright in the Manster chapters but that's mostly since he's the highest leveled unit at that point.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
All i can infer from my scrub days is that i was like "man i get a game over when he dies and have to start over... I'll just not go through that hassle and not use him or any of the lords for that matter! Its not like Marcus won't carry me through the game :D!"

Looking back I''m amazed i even reached the final chapter

majora_787

Smash Hero
I didn't realize it was fog of war because on this emulator, fog of war looks the same as the rest of the map, just without enemies.

But upon looking over my side of the map, there are no enemies on my side of the doors. I'm pretty sure all of them are inside the building.

majora_787

Smash Hero
They're not there. I ended up having to hack my way into the building so I could actually finish the chapter. Beat the game like an hour or so ago.

Disappointed by the final boss, and overall not my favorite Fire Emblem, but I'll still play Hector's story later when I have time most likely. Since I can't resist the urge to do a successful all-recruit run.

On turn 2 or 3 there is an enemy fighter that comes over to open the door on the right side of the map in Eliwood mode. On the hector mode there are door keys to steal on your side of the map.

The final boss would be more challenging if Athos was removed. Few units I realized actually build up to 37+ hp to survive the bosses attacks unless you managed to get 20/20 for levels. Even then few units have the strength to get past 40 point defence. It would take those super weapons at the end along with a unit with +20 strength to even do a point of damage. Even at best classes like General and Warrior for str caps only get a max of like 10-12 damage. Maybe like 15 after supports.

Much more annoying to beat at that point.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Well at least in FE7 you had a choice in who you used to fight the dragon.. and could use Nils to buff someone to do +10 damage (gives you stuff like Wil 1 rounding the dragon with 2 crits and proper supports)

Path of radiance was terrible in who could fight the final boss. It was Ike + laguz royal of choice vs Ashnerd only.. only redeemed because Ike is overpowered in his game so it wasn't that bad to deal with that situation..

smashmachine

Smash Lord
How did that happen? Did you just completely avoid using Eliwood despite the fact that you're required to deploy him in every chapter?

Also, I've been playing Thracia recently. The game certainly seems to live up to its reputation. Leif is so bad. His only redeeming factor is the Light Brand and even then he has no magic to use it that well. He's alright in the Manster chapters but that's mostly since he's the highest leveled unit at that point.
superior speedrun tactics
also Leif>Eliwood in gameplay, Leif is at least decent in Manster which is better than sucking everywhere

I think Eliwood starts losing usefulness around chapter 15 on his route. The early chapters he can get away with axe fighters and cavalier butchering and armor slaying. After that point though he starts to fall behind in stats. Either too slow or not high enough strength to finish off enemies along with being sort of fragile. It doens't help you get lots of other great units around that time in the game to start training potentially too. Lucius, Raven, Kent, Sain, Florina, Canas, etc.

Just give Leaf the scrolls to make his level-ups better. After that he isn't so bad. He doesn't promote for a long time until after chapter 18. FE5 is not as bad as I thought it was after you start realizing the stuff that comes ahead of time. Its the adequate preparing chapters before that helps out a lot. LIke one character goes away, but they have a great item to get through manster in some spots that you should trade over to someone. Fatigue is gotten around by having lots of units to train and knowing that you might need this character for this chapter so you bench them for a chapter you do not need them in. Even then, the game gives you stamina drinks to use to get over fatigue. I collected I think 7+ stamina drinks over the game and never used them once.

BlueSuperSonic1

Smash Journeyman
I think Eliwood starts losing usefulness around chapter 15 on his route. The early chapters he can get away with axe fighters and cavalier butchering and armor slaying. After that point though he starts to fall behind in stats. Either too slow or not high enough strength to finish off enemies along with being sort of fragile. It doens't help you get lots of other great units around that time in the game to start training potentially too. Lucius, Raven, Kent, Sain, Florina, Canas, etc.

Just give Leaf the scrolls to make his level-ups better. After that he isn't so bad. He doesn't promote for a long time until after chapter 18. FE5 is not as bad as I thought it was after you start realizing the stuff that comes ahead of time. Its the adequate preparing chapters before that helps out a lot. LIke one character goes away, but they have a great item to get through manster in some spots that you should trade over to someone. Fatigue is gotten around by having lots of units to train and knowing that you might need this character for this chapter so you bench them for a chapter you do not need them in. Even then, the game gives you stamina drinks to use to get over fatigue. I collected I think 7+ stamina drinks over the game and never used them once.
I'm assuming the item you're talking about is a certain sword, right? I'm currently at Chapter 7, so fatigue hasn't affected me at all so far (I'm assuming it starts kicking in when I'm able to choose which units I want to deploy.) I've been giving Leif the Baldur and Hezul Scrolls so far, so he hasn't been doing too bad (he always levels up HP). I've also already promoted Asvel using the Knight's Crest I got in 6 (he capped Speed upon promoting and has 15 Mag right now.)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm still salty about not being able to actually pvp in awakening
That would have been great, especially if it had online play.

I think you could make a team of your units and challenge the other player's team. Like the StreetPass teams, but battling the real player instead of his team controlled by the AI.

An interesting option would be choosing any map from the World Map. (By any map, I mean any Chapter or Side Story.)

TheDivineDeity

Banned via Administration
I'm not really familiar with Fire Emblem at all, so I'm asking a serious question here... are Roy and Marth from the same game? I mean, I heard they were both major characters in the recent game, but I'm talking about earlier games, like at around Melee. Are Roy and Marth from the same game?

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I'm not really familiar with Fire Emblem at all, so I'm asking a serious question here... are Roy and Marth from the same game? I mean, I heard they were both major characters in the recent game, but I'm talking about earlier games, like at around Melee. Are Roy and Marth from the same game?
Yes.
Roy is the chosen one and owner of the Fire Emblem, which game him t3h ph1r3 and made his sword all cool and stuff. His transgender brother Marth became envious and turned evil because of it and attacked Roy's kingdom.

Well, actually, Marth and Roy and Ike are from different games and don't know each other.
Marth is from the first FE game (which has been remade for the SNES and DS), while Roy is from FE 6 for the GBA. Ike is from FE 9: Path of Radiance for Gamecube.

A lot of Fire Emblem games take place on different continents and aren't related to each other story wise.

Most Western fans of Fire Emblem thought Marth and Roy were from the same game at first as well.

In Fire Emblem: Awakening, Marth, Roy, Ike, and other past heroes of the series appear as downloadable content (DLC), but they don't play any part in the main story and are non-canon.

However, the main character, Chrom is a descendant of Marth, and there's another character who's a descendant of Ike.

Oh, and there's also a Fire Emblem Wiki if you want to know more things.

Top Bottom