• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
If you want a dodge unit though you need to account for enemy breaker skills to. Like even if you are a swordmaster, that breserker might have swordbreaker

Shadocat

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3737-9651-3260
Bumping to say that if anybody's looking to do another Awakening run, I highly recommend doing what I like to call a "No Broken S***" run - no MU, no Second Seals, no pair-ups, and no skirmishes/DLC. It plays almost like an entirely different FE game, and it forces you to actually make the most of this game's support/marriage mechanics. Lack of pair-ups means you fight enemies more or less on equal footing, raising the game's overall difficulty while making it more difficult to earn supports. You still get the advantages of dual-attacks/supports, but you have to work harder for them through proper positioning. No Second Seals means there's a limit to how much you can level-up your units, which makes recruiting children characters and incorporating them into the main game very much worthwhile for their extra skills and more importantly, their superior bases. No MU obviously means you don't get a busted character, though you could probably get a run that is more or less in the same spirit of this run if you wanted to allow MU.

I'm on Ch.18 now (Hard mode) and I'm definitely getting the sense that I'm going to need all the kids I can get in order to have the stats to deal with the end of the game. I didn't realize how important marriage planning would be until I recruited Lucina, when I realized how much of an asset those bases are. Luckily, I wound up with a pretty good distribution of males/females. So far, I've got Lucina and Kjelle (Chrom married Sully), I have Vaike!Owain and Gaius!Severa ready to be recruited, and Stahl!Noire and Lon'qu!Gerome hopefully coming up down the line. It's not going to be easy though...

tl;dr - Awakening Hard mode - no MU, no Second Seals, no pair-ups, no skirmishes/DLC, Final Destination. It's fun.

This is alot harder than it sounds. I gave up on chapter 13 after I lost like 4 units. Fredrick got doubled and killed by gangrel in the previous chapter.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I also stand by what I said when the game first came out, which is that the game is generally balanced around using pair-ups. I don't think they planned for the system to end up being as broken as it was, although it really is only super broke below Lunatic, and is all you can do to survive at Lunatic or above.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Not using pair-ups is like not using any skills in Radiant Dawn... if you could take tier-3 skills off.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
This is alot harder than it sounds. I gave up on chapter 13 after I lost like 4 units. Fredrick got doubled and killed by gangrel in the previous chapter.
Yeah, Gangrel is a huge pain without pair-ups, since no stat boosts means most of your team is probably getting doubled, on top of the fact that he has 7 movement and 1-2 range that attacks Resistance. I was able to kite just enough to clear out almost all of his lackeys to have my strongest units chip away at him without the threat of dying on the enemy phase.

Frederick is probably not worth using at all past the first 2-3 chapters because you really need to work on getting your other units as strong as possible as quickly as possible, and actually using Frederick is not rewarding in the long term without pair-ups or Second Seals. By the time I got to chapter 13, I had a solid core team of Stahl, Chrom, Lissa, Cordelia, and a bunch of other competent contributing units. To be fair, my Stahl and Chrom were blessed pretty significantly, but I had a pretty mediocre Vaike and Sully too, with a Speed-screwed Nowi I wound up dropping. You do have to be flexible with who you're going to use to take into account stat variation to make the most of your team.

I'm on Ch. 21 right now, though I'm going through sidequests ATM to recruit/train children, and they are very much worth the effort. I am loving Owain right now (he inherited Sol from Vaike), and I'm liking where my Noire is headed despite being locked to the Archer class line. Getting Gerome next~

@Ussi: Rescuing isn't even that big of a deal. The lack of stat bonuses consistently makes enemies harder to deal with. I'd almost say the fact that no pair-up makes building supports more difficult is a more of an issue than no rescuing.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
After grinding for hours, finally decided to proceed. Then the character with my name dies as part of the story.

It's like this game wants me to hate it.

D

Deleted member

real talk lunatic mode is the most fun this game offers. it's just right in terms of difficulty imo.

i'm on ch 20 and it's just amazingly fun the whole way through.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I do NOT miss fog of war maps in Awakening, hahaha.

Like, they were challenging, but JESUS they were frustrating.

It's a great example of punishing difficulty rather than simply being difficult.

There's very little means of anticipating enemies from FoW (outside of torches/torch staves), you kinda just had to either inch forward absurdly slowly or just **** up, die, memorize what was there, and try again.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I don't find Fog of War maps that frustrating tbh.

I mean, in most FE games they're not too bad because they at least let you see the terrain(Thracia and the above map excepted)

As long as you play defensively and take the map slow you usually won't get into too much trouble.

Only FOW maps I can't stand are the ones where they add some other gimmick to it. Like FE6 Ch16, which was a Fog of War AND a desert map. And you were forced to use f***ing Sophia. And there are tons of enemy Wyvern Riders/Lords hanging around. Or Rath's tale(pictured) which has a few enemy Druids with Berserk and Sleep staves, and those f***ing poison spouts. They also have a bunch of chest scattered about that I feel compelled to find.

Edit: I'd take a few Fog of Wars over enemy-phase reinforcements any day.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I do not agree with that.

Enemy turn reinforcements are far more enjoyable to plan for than fog of war. You just have to be careful around certain spots on the map, or at the edge(and in Awakining, only when the boss tells you reinforcements will show up) and cover up what you can.
Fog of war just slows everything down, it's like if enemy turn reinforcements could show up anywhere a few spaces outside of your character.

Fog of war is cool on defend chapters where you can wall off some small ways in though.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I do not agree with that.

Enemy turn reinforcements are far more enjoyable to plan for than fog of war. You just have to be careful around certain spots on the map, or at the edge(and in Awakining, only when the boss tells you reinforcements will show up) and cover up what you can.
Fog of war just slows everything down, it's like if enemy turn reinforcements could show up anywhere a few spaces outside of your character.
I disagree.

For one, not all reinforcements are telegraphed. They're not announced at all in New Mystery. There not always announced in Awakening either. That map where you rescue Maribelle and Ricken has reinforcements that show up unannounced.

I don't see how "slowing things down" is necessarily a bad thing. I think it's nice to have a few chapters where you have to play defensively or take the map slowly.

I think Fog of Wars work bet on indoor maps or maps with lots of walls or barriers. That actually works to you advantage IMO, as it's easier to form barriers around your weaker units.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
FE:12 had the worst enemy spawns, but that was the only game I ever thought spawns were stupid after getting introduced to them in 6.
Every single FoW chapter is lame as **** though.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
FE:12 had the worst enemy spawns, but that was the only game I ever thought spawns were stupid after getting introduced to them in 6.
Every single FoW chapter is lame as **** though.
Meh. To each their own.

The games give you so much stuff to mitigate the effects of your limited vision(torches, Theives with extended vision, Torch staves(especially the post-FE7 version that lets you cast at a distance)) that I don't think they're that challenging. At least not because of the fog.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
I've gotta completely agree that FoW is much much better than enemy-turn reinforcements. But I like to play slow anyway.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Only FOW maps I can't stand are the ones where they add some other gimmick to it. Like FE6 Ch16, which was a Fog of War AND a desert map. And you were forced to use f***ing Sophia. And there are tons of enemy Wyvern Riders/Lords hanging around. Or Rath's tale(pictured) which has a few enemy Druids with Berserk and Sleep staves, and those f***ing poison spouts. They also have a bunch of chest scattered about that I feel compelled to find.

Hey man, Sophia's plenty good, you just lack the skill to use her.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

Dat truck hitting tho. Plus, Roy's Waifu.
Ray beats her in Hp, Speed, and Skill though. The only stats she has that average higher than his are Magic and Res, and even then it's not that much of a difference.

Edit: Not to mention that Raigh comes in two chapters earlier with better bases. Why should I bother training Sophia when she'll only be marginally better than Raigh at best?

Also, Roy's waifu? Not with that abysmal support growth she ain't. 1 base support point plus 1 point every turn. Yeesh.

Niime's better than both of them though. Dem A staves and tomes ranks.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Ray beats her in Hp, Speed, and Skill though. The only stats she has that average higher than his are Magic and Res, and even then it's not that much of a difference.

Edit: Not to mention that Raigh comes in two chapters earlier with better bases. Why should I bother training Sophia when she'll only be marginally better than Raigh at best?

Also, Roy's waifu? Not with that abysmal support growth she ain't. 1 base support point plus 1 point every turn. Yeesh.

Niime's better than both of them though. Dem A staves and tomes ranks.

But can Ray be Roy's Waifu? No.

Also, the support growth just means she likes to take it slow. GEEZ LEAVE THIS RESPECTABLE WOMAN ALONE

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Both mechanics suck.
Happy now?
This.

I don't mind defensive FoW as much, however.

I just got really salty at FoW when playing for my S-Rank HHM run and just having to memorize the entirety of Battle Before Dawn, among other maps.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Grinding Limit Breaker scrolls is a lot less easy then grinding Paragon scrolls was. ;_;

It will obviously get easier the more of them that I get, but there's SO MANY BREAKER ENEMIES. That fact alone more or less eliminates my Paragon farming method of "Make 3 pairs, throw them at the enemies".

Disclaimer: I don't have Nosferatu abuse set up yet, as I'm doing that on MorganF (probably), who doesn't yet exist! (I'm doing a Gen 3 Morgan this time to get all the second gen Avatar wife supports. Probably marrying Lucina in the end.)

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I started playing Awakening again, went back to finally finish all the DLC.

I wasn't happy with how I played R&R1, so I made Morgan a Sorcerer with a forged Aversa's Night.
And she pretty much solo'd part 2 and 3. I kind of expected it, but I was still surprised at how little I had to care.

Hahaha, never going back to Sol again.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I actually did that as well, I'm currently attempting Apotheosis Secret Route.

Once I beat that, I'll have done everything I care about.

Top Bottom