• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I guess I should just go sit in the isolated corner of people who thought Shadow Dragon was okay and FE7 was extremely bad? :p

That aside though, I may be picking up The Sacred Stones soon. I need to finish that.
Shadow Dragon being ok? That's an acceptable opinion to have.

FE7 being extremely bad? Literally get out.

Actually, better yet, tell me why. I want to hear this.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Shadow Dragon being ok? That's an acceptable opinion to have.

FE7 being extremely bad? Literally get out.

Actually, better yet, tell me why. I want to hear this.
I just feel like it wasn't nearly as enjoyable an experience as the other Fire Emblems I played. Even though, I played Shadow Dragon, Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, and Awakening all before FE7. I can't say anything about FE8, since I am not even halfway into it.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I just feel like it wasn't nearly as enjoyable an experience as the other Fire Emblems I played. Even though, I played Shadow Dragon, Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, and Awakening all before FE7. I can't say anything about FE8, since I am not even halfway into it.
Unless you have some actual reasoning I'm going to tell you your opinion is wrong and you should feel bad.

That is, unless you're modifying it from "FE7 is extremely bad" to "I didn't enjoy FE7 as much as I did the others" (Which is a significantly more reasonable opinion)

majora_787

Smash Hero
Unless you have some actual reasoning I'm going to tell you your opinion is wrong and you should feel bad.

That is, unless you're modifying it from "FE7 is extremely bad" to "I didn't enjoy FE7 as much as I did the others" (Which is a significantly more reasonable opinion)
I didn't enjoy it because the level design was bad, the characters were boring or terrible except for Nino, the plot was really poorly done and feels like it was written under the assumption that everyone who ever played it played FE6 beforehand, Lyn's story literally had no purpose to the game, it had literally the worst final boss in the entire series, and it got buggy as hell with maps that either made themselves unwinnable or extremely tedious, not to mention other small things that should have supposedly been places that supposedly weren't.

Other games did not have all of these issues. At worst, they only had some. The fact that FE7 actually had every last one of these problems in good amounts and is still considered good by real human beings astounds me to no end. That probably won't satisfy you in the slightest, but you've already decided to disregard my perspective as "wrong". So have fun with that.

The moral of the story is that I didn't enjoy it BECAUSE it was bad, even compared to other Fire Emblems I felt had major problems.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Well considering I think almost everything you just said was wrong, you're right that it's not going to satisfy me.

Do you have EXAMPLES for any of this or what? What levels are bad? What characters are terrible and why? What made you feel like they assumed everyone played FE6? Why was the final boss bad? What bugs/unwinnable situations are you talking about? (I've literally never experienced this).

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well considering I think almost everything you just said was wrong, you're right that it's not going to satisfy me.

Do you have EXAMPLES for any of this or what? What levels are bad? What characters are terrible and why? What made you feel like they assumed everyone played FE6? Why was the final boss bad? What bugs/unwinnable situations are you talking about? (I've literally never experienced this).
I feel that's the case because I haven't played FE6 to know if that makes the plot any better. And I want to believe there is actually some substance to it compared to what I saw in my two playthroughs of it several months back.

Maps that are mostly mountains and rivers so that most units can't move, moving bridges that caused me to require another 30 turns on a map while I waited for Hector to stop being suspended in space, a map that requires a key that doesn't give you one? I also didn't like how there seemed to be something that resembled a convoy system through Merlinus, but it just flat out didn't exist.

How wasn't the final boss bad? Having played the Tellius saga and Shadow Dragon, I've beaten plenty of fire dragons as regular enemies. Now I am supposed to see this generic nameless fire dragon as something impressive? Not particularly, no. Not at all, actually. If it ended at Nergal I would have felt a lot better about it. But no.

Nearly every character was just extremely flat and uninteresting, or was flat out unlikeable. The only exception I can think of this was Nino.

And it's just. Sure, Shadow Dragon also had flat characters. Sure, Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn had some questionable bugs and really iffy map design sometimes. Sure, Awakening's plot can be considered pretty "eh" compared to other games. But that's just the thing. None of those games combined ALL of these problems and mashed them together like this.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I actually agree that FE7's story is pretty bad, though not that it requires one to play FE6 first, the most you get from the connection is "hey, remember that character or event?".

Lyn was pretty pointless after her story, and the black fang, an assassins guild has numbers that could rival Bern. I know I had some other problems(Ephidel's character being one of them) but I have forgotten some of the details.
Not that any FE has an amazing story, but I find FE7 to be on the weaker side.

I didn't have any issues with the gameplay(other than the Swordmaster nerf :/) when I replayed it though. I never found it hard to want to complete a map like I am with FE4. FE7 also has some good music.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I feel that's the case because I haven't played FE6 to know if that makes the plot any better. And I want to believe there is actually some substance to it compared to what I saw in my two playthroughs of it several months back.
Then this is an assumption with almost no grounding.

FE6 actually receives VERY few references in 7:

Returning characters: Bartre, Karla (referenced in 6), Karel, Marcus, Hector, Eliwood, Merlinus, Canas (referenced in 6 through Lugh/Ray/Niime).

The only characters 7 brings up that really matter to 6 are Roy, Lilina, and Zephiel, all of whom are introduced solely on plot. Everyone else (mentioned above) stand completely on their own with no prior knowledge needed.

Almost no plot is shared between 6 and 7 save for Bern being dickheads and invading ****, and the background "War of the Dragons" stuff that also serves as the grounding for the Divine Weapons (Durandal, Armads, etc).

7 is a PREQUEL, so everything stands pretty much entirely on its own, as nothing in 6 has HAPPENED yet.
Maps that are mostly mountains and rivers so that most units can't move,
There are not that many of these, and they're there to break up the monotony of **** like Awakening's "here's a rectangle" maps, and also provides balance between the different unit types. Cavaliers would be totally busted if they never had to worry about terrain. Magic users get advantages in Deserts, etc etc.

moving bridges that caused me to require another 30 turns on a map while I waited for Hector to stop being suspended in space
Okay, I'll admit 26x is awful, I'd forgotten about that one.

a map that requires a key that doesn't give you one?
Which is this?

I also didn't like how there seemed to be something that resembled a convoy system through Merlinus, but it just flat out didn't exist.
Totally false. Merlinus does exactly what you think he does. Did you fail to recruit him?

How wasn't the final boss bad? Having played the Tellius saga and Shadow Dragon, I've beaten plenty of fire dragons as regular enemies. Now I am supposed to see this generic nameless fire dragon as something impressive? Not particularly, no. Not at all, actually. If it ended at Nergal I would have felt a lot better about it. But no.
How does that make it BAD? I'm going to attribute this at least partially to chronology, as FE7 was the first English (and also my first), so I can see where you're coming from, but perhaps you missed how the entire point of the plot was to PREVENT Dragons from coming back? From the other side of this argument I could complain that Tellius/SD trivialized Dragons by having them all over the place.
Nearly every character was just extremely flat and uninteresting, or was flat out unlikeable. The only exception I can think of this was Nino.
This is entirely opinion, but I consider the following characters to be plenty interesting, as far as one can expect from a game with 40+ characters:
Rebecca, Dart, Will, Hector, Oswin, Matthew, Priscilla, Sain, Florina, Canas, Legault, Heath, Pent, Karel, Nino, Renault.

There are plenty of others I like, but will admit are relatively tropey. (so are some of the above) But Fire Emblem in GENERAL has this problem. How much did you read of the support conversations?

majora_787

Smash Hero
I actually agree that FE7's story is pretty bad, though not that it requires one to play FE6 first, the most you get from the connection is "hey, remember that character or event?".

Lyn was pretty pointless after her story, and the black fang, an assassins guild has numbers that could rival Bern. I know I had some other problems(Ephidel's character being one of them) but I have forgotten some of the details.
Not that any FE has an amazing story, but I find FE7 to be on the weaker side.

I didn't have any issues with the gameplay(other than the Swordmaster nerf :/) when I replayed it though. I never found it hard to want to complete a map like I am with FE4. FE7 also has some good music.
I actually haven't heard much of FE7's music admittedly, since the situation in which I played it didn't really allow it. I will have to find some of it later.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I think FE7's music is pretty good overall, though I wouldn't say it has the best for the series.

Awakening's music was something else. 9 and 10's music was also really good, and I think the style really works for FE.
I also like a lot of tracks from FE6, especially the that really upbeat theme that plays during the hell that is chapter 21.

I've forgotten a lot from FE8 though, it's been so long since I've played it. :/

majora_787

Smash Hero
I haven't played Fire Emblem in a good while. I was playing Radiant Dawn back in May and June and ended up playing Radiant Dawn, Awakening, FE7, and FE8 all at the same time or at least very closely overlapping. I should finish it though. I just felt burnt out after FE7 and Radiant Dawn, not to mention a lot of Awakening.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Okay, I'll admit 26x is awful, I'd forgotten about that one.
Is 26x that hated? I thought it was annoying, but it honestly wasn't that bad as long as you kept moving, were smart about positioning your units, and you brought several flyers.

Also not sure I agree on the Fire Dragon being the worst final boss. I mean, by the logic majora gave, Veld and Julius could also be considered the worst bosses because Dark Mages/Bishops have also been pretty common enemies.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Is 26x that hated? I thought it was annoying, but it honestly wasn't that bad as long as you kept moving, were smart about positioning your units, and you brought several flyers.

Also not sure I agree on the Fire Dragon being the worst final boss. I mean, by the logic majora gave, Veld and Julius could also be considered the worst bosses because Dark Mages/Bishops have also been pretty common enemies.
I didn't mind it that much, but that's because (as you said) I brought several fliers to ferry people around. Having to wait for the paths was super obnoxious though. (Also I think there was a really annoying Berserk Bishop in HHM)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I didn't mind it that much, but that's because (as you said) I brought several fliers to ferry people around. Having to wait for the paths was super obnoxious though. (Also I think there was a really annoying Berserk Bishop in HHM)
It's better than FE6 CH14x though.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I haven't played FE4 or 5. But at the very least from what I know, Veld and Julius are characters with names and faces. FE7's fire dragon is "Fire Dragon".

Either way, still no good out of what I've played.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Actually from what I've heard Veld is pretty pathetic as far as final bosses go, especially considering FE5's normal level of difficulty. Julius is pretty pathetic as well if you sic a well-trained Julia with the Book of Naga on him.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well, I wouldn't know. What I do know is, if "Fire Dragon" was like. Jahn or something, and he got away injured to be in FE6, I'd find it a lot more satisfying than actually killing some generic fire dragon.

I just realized everyone complains about FE storylines lol

Completely ignoring anything related to the world of fire emblem other than gameplay mechanics--Sealed Sword is much worse than blazing sword. The biggest complaint I have with FE6 is predominantly the choice of numbers which got tacked onto things like the terrain data, growth rates, and weapon values.

All battle calculations are the same between FE6 and FE7, but the numbers on weapons were poorly chosen for FE6. Most FE6 axes are lowered by 10 or 15 points from the FE7 values on accuracy. This may not seem like much except when you notice that the best axes users are not the axe users themselves, but rather promoted units that gained axe usage. The main axes users not promoted had terrible accuracy. Even with weapon triangle advantage they might see like 70% hit rates at BEST using the most accurate axe the iron axe lol Lances also had a similar thing with lowered accuracy in FE6.

The weapon usage on magic is rather low and there is basically no weight penalty at all. An Elfire has only 4 weight and the smallest con characters typically is at lowest 4.

The bosses were also poorly done in my opinion as well given throne data. FE6 bosses remained me a bit of the H4 or H5 on Shadow Dragon early bosses were really only like 1-2 units could actually have a legitimate chance of hurting the boss. Thrones are just OP in FE6. FE6 decides to place early knights or generals on thrones in the early chapters. Where few of your units have enough attack to even hit the knight anyway let alone get past the +3 defence the throne gives. To top it off, you have +30 avoid to overcome due to the throne. Axe users still end up missing due to poor weapon base accuracy and stupid throne damage. And your magic users are limited as well due to low magic growth rates and +5 resistance to thrones.

Roy not being able to promote until literally the point where you could potentially have a game end with the bad ending. Or only another 5 chapters with the best ending lol

Oh, and you have to put up with sleep and berserk staves as early as chapter 12. While in FE7 you do not have to deal with it until much, much later into the game.

To me, FE7 is the more balanced numbers game which makes it more fun to play when you do not give a **** about the story anymore lol

Actually from what I've heard Veld is pretty pathetic as far as final bosses go, especially considering FE5's normal level of difficulty. Julius is pretty pathetic as well if you sic a well-trained Julia with the Book of Naga on him.
The problem with strategy games is the fact that once you know the set-up or strategy to win easiest the game seems easy. Otherwise, without knowing the necessary set-up it seems hard. Julius in FE4 is pretty formidable
without the Book of Naga. His defenses pretty much negate your attack power if maxed out. And the spell cuts in half any attack you manage to through anyway while taking a nice 55 magic attack in a game where the resistance is pretty low. Julia is just the correct method to through him.

Speaking of which I thought the final boss for FE7 was quite nice. The dragon has 40 defense and resistance with 120 HP. As an example, even one of the strongest units Oswin + Rex Hasta only reaches 10 damage per hit on the dragon while getting 2HKO at best right back. Pretty much anyone else that does not have at least 20+ strength or magic will not even scratch the dragon. Some of those that could get ORKO'd due to really heavy tomes too like Canas using Gespesant. If you happened to have a luna, lots of elixirs, or some sort of staff healing chain the boss goes down easily enough.

Also, base roy can 3HKO the final boss from 2 range without being attacked lol

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
All battle calculations are the same between FE6 and FE7, but the numbers on weapons were poorly chosen for FE6. Most FE6 axes are lowered by 10 or 15 points from the FE7 values on accuracy. This may not seem like much except when you notice that the best axes users are not the axe users themselves, but rather promoted units that gained axe usage. The main axes users not promoted had terrible accuracy. Even with weapon triangle advantage they might see like 70% hit rates at BEST using the most accurate axe the iron axe lol Lances also had a similar thing with lowered accuracy in FE6.
You're making it sound like FE6 was made after FE7. Axes in general are pretty wretched pre-FE7. in FE1+3(no axes in 2 at all), Axe users couldn't promote at all. In FE4, you only got a few primary Axe users in the game, and they were handicapped by the pre-FE5 AS system(Speed-Weight). FE6's axe hit rates are pretty much the same as the FE5 hit rates, though in FE5 those hit rates were offset somewhat by the fact that Orsin and Halvan actually had a skill growth.
The weapon usage on magic is rather low and there is basically no weight penalty at all. An Elfire has only 4 weight and the smallest con characters typically is at lowest 4.
To be fair, again, magic usage is quite low in most pre-FE7 games(some of the most powerful tomes in FE3 have <15 uses).
Roy not being able to promote until literally the point where you could potentially have a game end with the bad ending. Or only another 5 chapters with the best ending lol
Agreed, though it seems like IS caught on shortly after the game's release that this wasn't such a good thing, as in the FE6 manga he promotes after Chapter 16/x. Also worth noting that Leif(from FE5) also had a really late promotion. Not to mention Marth didn't have a promotion at all.
Oh, and you have to put up with sleep and berserk staves as early as chapter 12. While in FE7 you do not have to deal with it until much, much later into the game.
Somebody hasn't played Thracia. :p

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
FE9 has a good story. It's standard stuff, but there's no major flaws.

As for the numbers thing, aren't axes supposed to be "more damage with a risky hit rate"? I can understand wanting better hit rates, missing can really suck sometimes, but this isn't an easy thing to balance. When the hit rate for axes and lances goes up, the low damage but accurate swords become less useful, which is exactly what has happened with FE after 6. Being sword locked is usually not a good thing in the localized FEs.

I can't blame you for wanting to hit things more often, but the indirect hit swords have taken over the years has always bugged me. :/

XTheElegantShadowX

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3625-7979-8675
FE9 has a good story. It's standard stuff, but there's no major flaws.

As for the numbers thing, aren't axes supposed to be "more damage with a risky hit rate"? I can understand wanting better hit rates, missing can really suck sometimes, but this isn't an easy thing to balance. When the hit rate for axes and lances goes up, the low damage but accurate swords become less useful, which is exactly what has happened with FE after 6. Being sword locked is usually not a good thing in the localized FEs.

I can't blame you for wanting to hit things more often, but the indirect hit swords have taken over the years has always bugged me. :/
Agreed. Though, those graphics were quite... standoffish even for the Gamecube's generation. XD

The way that I've always seen it is as follows: Axes have always had the highest based damage of the the physical Weapons, and they just so happen to usually be wielded by Units that have above average attack Stats, meaning that while they may not be that accurate, they are VERY powerful once they do manage to connect with the opponent. That being said, Axes are very High Risk, High Reward in regards to what their basic function is within Fire Emblem.

To give a small example of how devastating Axes would be if they had high accuracy, let's have a look at the Trinity of Magic, shall we?

In Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, Thunder Magic was regarded as the single strongest of the three (Well, four) magics, due to having an alright hit rate (though, lower than its brother elements Fire and especially Wind), the highest based attack power of the Trinity, and being the only one of the Trinity to naturally have a Critical Hit Rate on all of its Tomes. The only thing that Wind and Fire really had over Thunder is that the Laguz that they were most effective against, Bird and Beast respectively, were FAR more common than Dragons, a form of Laguz that is only fought twice (well, three times) in the entire game.

Now, with all this in mind, let's take a look at Radiant Dawn right quick:

In Radiant Dawn the Trinity of Magic, within Reason, is more balanced. Fire Tomes got a boost in damage and became the go to Tome for high damage spells. Wind Tomes were given high accuracy to make up for low damage, however, Flying Units are arguably more annoying and prominent in RD than in PoR, so this balances out. Finally, Lightning received a damage nerf, but was given even higher Critical Hit potential on most of its returning Tomes, making it, like Axes, the High Risk, High Reward weapon of the Triangle. Also, bear in mind that the Thunder Tomes may or may not be balanced according to the only Unit able to wield them effectively, Ilyana, and according to how often Dragons are featured in the game itself. That's just wild speculation I've seen floating around, though, so it's anyone's call.

Now, with all that I've said, Axes having the lowest Accuracy of the Weapon Triangle makes sense from a design standpoint, sense having a high damage weapon that is almost ALWAYS guaranteed to hit, Swords, Wind Magic, and Bows, you can see just how devastating that would be.

Ahem... also, Forging does help rectify this problem, along with some of the problems with Swords and Lances, so if the Accuracy really does bother you that much, just spend a bit of extra gold to fix that. :)

Last edited:

XTheElegantShadowX

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3625-7979-8675
Which hack is that?

This is totally false, his class set is NOT that great. I could make a laundry list of generation 1 units I consider to be better than Chrom, and literally every child is better than he is.
I am aware of that, since I did state that giving him Archer/Sniper/Bow Knight over Mercenary/Hero/Swords Master was a bad idea. Though, Cavalier/Great Knight/Paladin are at worst decent and at best good selections.

Also, access to Skills such as Aether, Luna, Rightful King, Aegis and Pavise bolsters his usefulness Immensely. He's better than a good number of other Units, and he doesn't require the work it would take to get him to being half decent that like it would with the Second Gen Units. And let's face facts here, the Second Gen Units are not completely required to beat the game, they make harder difficulties easier, yes, but they are not a MUST HAVE to get through the game (and DLC Characters crush them and First Gen characters, so yeah.) .

Edit: Double Post by mistake.

You're making it sound like FE6 was made after FE7. Axes in general are pretty wretched pre-FE7. in FE1+3(no axes in 2 at all), Axe users couldn't promote at all. In FE4, you only got a few primary Axe users in the game, and they were handicapped by the pre-FE5 AS system(Speed-Weight). FE6's axe hit rates are pretty much the same as the FE5 hit rates, though in FE5 those hit rates were offset somewhat by the fact that Orsin and Halvan actually had a skill growth.

To be fair, again, magic usage is quite low in most pre-FE7 games(some of the most powerful tomes in FE3 have <15 uses).

Agreed, though it seems like IS caught on shortly after the game's release that this wasn't such a good thing, as in the FE6 manga he promotes after Chapter 16/x. Also worth noting that Leif(from FE5) also had a really late promotion. Not to mention Marth didn't have a promotion at all.

Somebody hasn't played Thracia. :p
I thought there was more focus on FE7's story telling elements over its mechanics in the previous conversation. I mainly wanted to highlight the FE mechanics a bit and tell what I thought made FE7 good to play with. Using FE6 to compare with since very little in FE mechanics got changed other than tweaking some numbers around for the most part. The GBA-era against the SNES/NES era saw some pretty radical changes to battle calculations and not much to compare with.

There are only two FE games I have not completed quite yet. FE5 I am sitting at literally the final chapter of the game. I recall getting stuck at being unable to orient my units correctly to KO all the pseudo-bosses well. FE 1 I am uncertain if I ever ended up playing it through to completion either or how far I got in it. I really wish they would do a remake of FE5. I think it would be my favorite FE game if they fixed a few game mechanics which were obnoxious. Being unable to properly place the units in the order you wanted them to be in for example. Or having player and enemy units being able to move again on the same turn. Chapter 22 the magic knight boss moves in and moves again to KO a unit I would have moved out of the way on the following turn. Other than a few annoyances I really liked the fatigue and capture ability. Along with how the maps were laid out.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm starting the new year by picking the Sacred Stones up again. I am determined to finish this game.

XTheElegantShadowX

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3625-7979-8675
I'm starting the new year by picking the Sacred Stones up again. I am determined to finish this game.
Be sure to level Ewan up, he becomes a powerhouse at higher levels and can potentially clear an entire map himself. He is an Est, after all. XD

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Also I'm at the halfway point of Awakening with the 2 year time skip and have these S ratings for these characters for children purposes.

Chrom and Sumia

Male Avatar with Lissa( Don't know why)

Maribelle with Ricken

Gregor with Nowi

Sully With Virion

Lon'Qu with Cordelia

Thoughts?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Also I'm at the halfway point of Awakening with the 2 year time skip and have these S ratings for these characters for children purposes.

Chrom and Sumia
Decent, but I prefer ChromxOlivia.
Male Avatar with Lissa( Don't know why)
Avatar's partner is pretty much up to you, but it's most helpful to have it be Tharja, Nowi or Kjelle, if you want the girls to have Galeforce. Donny and Gaius can give it to two of them, but not the third has to be Avatar unless you don't mind them not having it.

Owain tends to like a magical Dad thanks to Lissa's stat mods, so the avatar is fine for him. Libra is also a good choice, as is Ricken. I went with Stahl last time and did a phsyical support Owain using the Paladin set-up.
Maribelle with Ricken
This one is... okay. Ricken goes best with Lissa (For a Magic Owain, since he gives him Luna + good mods), Miriel for a super-mage Laurent or Olivia (if you want a Magic Inigo). Brady gets good mods from Ricken, but he only really gets use out of Luna. I personally tend to go with Henry (for Vantage/Vengeance combo) or Libra, who also provides the same thing.
Gregor with Nowi
Not awful. Gives Nah 3 classes she doesn't have, notably Merc/SM. I usually pair Gregor with Cherche or Miriel, however. Gregor gives Gerome all 3 offensive classes that he doesn't have (Merc, Myrm, Barb) and sets Gerome up to make a godlike support Berserker, since he cannot get Galeforce. In Laurent's case, Gerome gives him the Vantage half of the Vantage/Vengeance combo, as well as Armsthrift from Mercenary.

I personally paired Vaike with Nowi on my last run, which sets her up with General (for Pavise), Mercenary (For Armsthrift) and great Strength/Def mods. Gregor is a decent pick here, as is Kellam (For insane Defense mods, especially if you want to make Kellam!Nah!Morgan(F) with bonkers defensive mods.) Gaius and Donny are the other two really good picks here if you want her to have Galeforce, but Kjelle really wants Donny as a Dad and I prefer to give Gaius to Noire.
Sully With Virion
While borderline canon and very amusing, this is an AWFUL pairing from a min/maxing perspective. Kjelle gets nothing out of Virion's Archer/Mage and his stat mods are awful. Kjelle's de-facto best Dad is Donny, who gives her both Mercenary and Pegasus Knight.
Lon'Qu with Cordelia

Thoughts?
This pairing is great is you don't mind missing out on Luna. It gives Severa three strong classes (though Thief is a bit redundant) and ridiculous speed mods, making her an amazing Assassin or Hero.

Stahl is also an excellent choice here, giving her Luna (through Cav) and Myrmidon, as well as respectable mods. I personally did Kellam last time, which I somewhat regret, because it hurt her speed, and I didn't end up using Pavise on her final build, which was the reason I originally went with the pairing.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I beat FE8. I have to say, one of my favorite Fire Emblems. Cool continent, cool characters, the final boss wasn't a dragon... But I didn't get much use out of Ewan. What is a good way to train units up? I'm not entirely sure. When I got him I kind of didn't want to throw him out in the middle of the things that were taking place.

EDIT: I did use Amelia though. Unfortunately I couldn't get an item to use to promote her until she was out of the usable level range and I was pretty close to the end.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
So i'm doing the no pair up hard mode (except for transporting which wastes both those characters turn), also no using skirmishes, random weapons, and no 2nd seals. Still use golden squares for chance of exp

Lissa decided to be super blessed and have uber good stats ROFL but now Owain is useless except for levin sword cheese.

I also used Donnel and by the Grandel Chapter he was level 11 or so. Can't believe i actually managed to baby him that hard without pair ups LOL. I see Donnel in a new light for future runs xD

Ended up killing Grandel cause Chrom had 20 speed at level 17 with 77% dual hit with Sully and together they ORKO him

I dunno actually if these guys are blessed or if i'm just too used to changing classes at level 10

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I beat FE8. I have to say, one of my favorite Fire Emblems. Cool continent, cool characters, the final boss wasn't a dragon... But I didn't get much use out of Ewan. What is a good way to train units up? I'm not entirely sure. When I got him I kind of didn't want to throw him out in the middle of the things that were taking place.

EDIT: I did use Amelia though. Unfortunately I couldn't get an item to use to promote her until she was out of the usable level range and I was pretty close to the end.
Tower of Valni is the easiest way to train up units in Sacred Stones.

Even the weakest of units, like Amelia and Ewan, can stand behind Gilliam/Seth/BeefyGuy and throw a Javelin/Fire until something dies, from total safety.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'll have to do that then. I want to get the other 8 units from the tower and ruins, and I also at least want to get all of my units promoted.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Decent, but I prefer ChromxOlivia.

Avatar's partner is pretty much up to you, but it's most helpful to have it be Tharja, Nowi or Kjelle, if you want the girls to have Galeforce. Donny and Gaius can give it to two of them, but not the third has to be Avatar unless you don't mind them not having it.

Owain tends to like a magical Dad thanks to Lissa's stat mods, so the avatar is fine for him. Libra is also a good choice, as is Ricken. I went with Stahl last time and did a phsyical support Owain using the Paladin set-up.

This one is... okay. Ricken goes best with Lissa (For a Magic Owain, since he gives him Luna + good mods), Miriel for a super-mage Laurent or Olivia (if you want a Magic Inigo). Brady gets good mods from Ricken, but he only really gets use out of Luna. I personally tend to go with Henry (for Vantage/Vengeance combo) or Libra, who also provides the same thing.

Not awful. Gives Nah 3 classes she doesn't have, notably Merc/SM. I usually pair Gregor with Cherche or Miriel, however. Gregor gives Gerome all 3 offensive classes that he doesn't have (Merc, Myrm, Barb) and sets Gerome up to make a godlike support Berserker, since he cannot get Galeforce. In Laurent's case, Gerome gives him the Vantage half of the Vantage/Vengeance combo, as well as Armsthrift from Mercenary.

I personally paired Vaike with Nowi on my last run, which sets her up with General (for Pavise), Mercenary (For Armsthrift) and great Strength/Def mods. Gregor is a decent pick here, as is Kellam (For insane Defense mods, especially if you want to make Kellam!Nah!Morgan(F) with bonkers defensive mods.) Gaius and Donny are the other two really good picks here if you want her to have Galeforce, but Kjelle really wants Donny as a Dad and I prefer to give Gaius to Noire.

While borderline canon and very amusing, this is an AWFUL pairing from a min/maxing perspective. Kjelle gets nothing out of Virion's Archer/Mage and his stat mods are awful. Kjelle's de-facto best Dad is Donny, who gives her both Mercenary and Pegasus Knight.

This pairing is great is you don't mind missing out on Luna. It gives Severa three strong classes (though Thief is a bit redundant) and ridiculous speed mods, making her an amazing Assassin or Hero.

Stahl is also an excellent choice here, giving her Luna (through Cav) and Myrmidon, as well as respectable mods. I personally did Kellam last time, which I somewhat regret, because it hurt her speed, and I didn't end up using Pavise on her final build, which was the reason I originally went with the pairing.

Damn thanks for the info there. Nice to know that I got alot a decent pairings with only 1 ****ty ones. The other ones that are close to S are Panne with Kellam, Miriel with Vaike and Tharja with Libra

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
PannexKellam is pretty bad. MirielxVaike is bad. TharjaxLibra is bad.

Try to avoid doing any of those, haha.

If you want me to talk about any other pairing/minmaxing, feel free to ask.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
General rule of thumb: Match likes with likes

Ie magic folk with magic folk, physical folk with physical folks.

Exception is Henry cause he's a good physical unit (Change to barbarian) and MyUnit cause he's customable

Course the whole min/maxing comes from the base stats parents pass down. That's more detailed and for serious end game teams

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
General rule of thumb: Match likes with likes

Ie magic folk with magic folk and physical folk with physical folks

Exception is Henry cause he's a good physical unit (Change to barbarian) and MyUnit cause he's customable
I.... don't really agree with this as a general rule of thumb.

It's a good place to START, sure. Yes, you generally want similar people together, but more accurate is to say you should be playing to the mother's strengths, as her stat mods are the ones you can't change.

And while Henry is a good physical unit, that doesn't make him a bad magical one. His stat mods are flexible, and his most important asset is providing Dark Mage as a class (for Vengeance). Zerker isn't really his draw.

The main problem with that rule of thumb is that it doesn't cover ENOUGH cases. Like with like can still lead you to totally awful pairs like StahlxSully or FrederickxSully, where the class overlap is totally ridiculous. You want them to have similar stat mods, but usually you want diversified class sets, so pairing two mages together isn't usually the best idea.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
LOL damn more crappy pairings well alright then. Also I finally got me a copy of Shadow Dragons however I will have to wait a while for my local game shop to get the copy but I paid $ 9 bucks less then what was the price they were selling it for and the Cashier who did my order got me 10% percent off the grand total of my items in which I bought $50 bucks worth of games so yeah. Once I get Shadow Dragons the Only FE games that I will need to get is Path Of Radiance, Radiant Dawn and Blazing Sword for all of them in North America and those are sadly the ones with the highest prices :(

Also I hope that Nintendo release a remake of Sword of Seals and Light and Shadow over here for this year or Genalogy of the Holy War cause that would be godlike.

EDIT: Curse my love for non staple Nintendo titles such as Fire Emblem, Star Fox and F-Zero it's a curse and a blessing I tell ya.

XTheElegantShadowX

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3625-7979-8675
... It just dawned on me that I chose most of the bad Pairings in Awakening:

I had Virion X Sully, Vaike X Mirie,l Lan'qu X Lissa, and Nowi X Donnel... On the bright side, I did Pair Tharja with my Avatar. XD

majora_787

Smash Hero
LOL damn more crappy pairings well alright then. Also I finally got me a copy of Shadow Dragons however I will have to wait a while for my local game shop to get the copy but I paid $ 9 bucks less then what was the price they were selling it for and the Cashier who did my order got me 10% percent off the grand total of my items in which I bought $50 bucks worth of games so yeah. Once I get Shadow Dragons the Only FE games that I will need to get is Path Of Radiance, Radiant Dawn and Blazing Sword for all of them in North America and those are sadly the ones with the highest prices :(

Also I hope that Nintendo release a remake of Sword of Seals and Light and Shadow over here for this year or Genalogy of the Holy War cause that would be godlike.

EDIT: Curse my love for non staple Nintendo titles such as Fire Emblem, Star Fox and F-Zero it's a curse and a blessing I tell ya.
I was really excited for the release of Mystery of the Emblem for the DS, but for whatever reason that was just a no-go.

If they remake Genealogy of the Holy War, which they definitely should, I'd definitely buy it just to try it.

Top Bottom