• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

nessokman

Smash Lord
I've pretty much finished everything I wanted to do in Awakening, and I lost meh Sacred Stones.I bought Shadow Dragon from my friend for $15, and I'm loving it more than the other two combined X2, it's a lot darker, and it feels amazing to see how it all began.My 3DS broke, so I'll get a 2DS later and finish it.

I bet if you tried playing through shadow dragon multiple times within the same difficulty you would get bored with the endless free silvers later in the game.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
If you hold the opinion that Shadow Dragon is better after you complete it, I'll be flabbergasted.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I'm amazed anyone would like Shadow Dragon more after playing any other FE that has been localized.

I guess every game will have its fans.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I agree with nick, both suck.

Though I liked FOW better It made you think more instead of rushing through the maps like they were nothing, imo I like to take my time with FE but again that's just me. As for the other thing at least you get extra exp off the reinforcements, but its still more annoying than FOW.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I've been doing an Awakening Hard runthrough while using DLC to grind some of my support units + Second Sealing them but the game's getting far too easy.

So I'm gonna reset and see how difficult the game would be without using the pair up system. Grinding/Second Sealing units will be allowed but not too extensively. Should be fun.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
If I want to play an FE game for a serious challenge (That isn't Thracia), I play 6 HM, 7 HHM, 10 HM.

If I want to have fun and play Waifu simulator 2013 while being totally OP, I play Awakening or FE8.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
If I want to play an FE game for a serious challenge (That isn't Thracia), I play 6 HM, 7 HHM, 10 HM.

If I want to have fun and play Waifu simulator 2013 while being totally OP, I play Awakening or FE8.
This guy gets it.

Speaking of awakening waifu's.... here a little gift.
:awesome:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559

One major flaw I've noticed about Awakening (first FE game btw) is that the game is either extremely difficult or extremely easy... There's no in between IMO. I can breeze through Hard mode without even losing a unit but the second I try Lunatic I can barely pass Chapter 2 w/o abusing Fredrick?

I don't get it. Hopefully not using the Pair Up system can actually make Hard mode a challenge.

XTheElegantShadowX

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3625-7979-8675
What I found strange about Awakening, among many things, was that while it was more or less a tribute to past titles in the franchise, it didn't have many of the basic stages you'd see in most Fire Emblem games I.E. Fog of War and Defend X for Y amount of turns. Though, I've only played through Normal Mode, so mayhaps those are something that come up on harder difficulties, perhaps? Also, they removed one of the stables of Fire Emblem, Light Magic, with no replacement, making Dark Magic the strongest thing since late-game PoR Ike. XD

Ohoho, I could actually write essay about everything I disliked about the game , but I'd rather not, for the sake of not making another 7 paragraph long post about it again. XD

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Obviously highly subjective, but I personally disagree. I have a very aggressive playstyle in Fire Emblem, so defend chapters bore me to tears. Whenever possible, I will end them through an early victory condition like bumrushing Sealen in Chapter 15 HHM.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I like defend chapters. It's actually one of the things I missed in Awakening, the multiple objectives of previous FE games. People like to knock FE6 for only having seize objectives, but FE13 is almost as bad: it's pretty much only rout and defeat boss objectives.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Obviously highly subjective, but I personally disagree. I have a very aggressive playstyle in Fire Emblem, so defend chapters bore me to tears. Whenever possible, I will end them through an early victory condition like bumrushing Sealen in Chapter 15 HHM.
You don't understand the glory of Enemy Phases. Shame on you.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Damn it Marcus, don't critical the boss! :mad088:

It would be pretty cool if we could tell a unit to not crit, it would be really helpful in a few situations.
Though I can't wait until I have Swordmasters with a +30 crit bonus again, not having any bonus was the worst thing about Awakening by far.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

It would be pretty cool if we could tell a unit to not crit, it would be really helpful in a few situations.
FE10 Bronze Weapons cannot crit at all. I think that would be a handy thing for future games.

nessokman

Smash Lord
If you hold the opinion that Shadow Dragon is better after you complete it, I'll be flabbergasted.
So far, shadow dragon has been harder to me than awakening. (Beat awakening on hard, lunatic to chap. 24)
I'm amazed anyone would like Shadow Dragon more after playing any other FE that has been localized.

I guess every game will have its fans.
I just find it interesting. The thought that THIS game was how it all started. Marth is a little bit too overpowered. Just from what I've played so far.

It feels weird adjusting to another game since I've played awakening too freaking much. I should find sacred stoners and play it again.

XTheElegantShadowX

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3625-7979-8675
Defend Chapters are my absolute favorite. I'm always so disappointed whenever there are only 2 or less in a Fire Emblem game. Seize and Rout are nice, but honestly, I feel that Defend best captures what Fire Emblem is, IMO, of course. :)

Though I can't wait until I have Swordmasters with a +30 crit bonus again, not having any bonus was the worst thing about Awakening by far.
If memory serves, in Awakening, you're able to turn off Critical Hits, well, of your own Unit's, that is. :I

I've been doing an Awakening Hard runthrough while using DLC to grind some of my support units + Second Sealing them but the game's getting far too easy.

So I'm gonna reset and see how difficult the game would be without using the pair up system. Grinding/Second Sealing units will be allowed but not too extensively. Should be fun.
Well, DUH! lol No offence. But, off course the game is going to be easy if you give yourself the opportunity to grind and abuse the extra skirmish system in place. Really the only way to play the game is just go through chapter by chapter without the grindfests between chapters. Like how FE has played for most of its mothership titles. Even then the game does indeed give you access to some ridiculous strategies. MU/Chrom Nosferatu for example. Otherwise, only lunny and lunny+ will actually competely invalidate a number of strategies. For example, skirmishes are basically impossible early game and late game. Play Lunatic if you want the puzzle and strategy part of awakening.

Thracia is difficulty blind. Once you know the annoying parts of a chapters you can plan around it. For example, if you need Karin in some mission, then you avoid using her one chapter to refresh the fatigue stat.

One major flaw I've noticed about Awakening (first FE game btw) is that the game is either extremely difficult or extremely easy... There's no in between IMO. I can breeze through Hard mode without even losing a unit but the second I try Lunatic I can barely pass Chapter 2 w/o abusing Fredrick?

I don't get it. Hopefully not using the Pair Up system can actually make Hard mode a challenge.
FE is meant to play as a strategy game which is basically you either know the right method which gets you success or not. This is not shades of gray really.

Defend chapters are nice because they allow you to use all your units well typically. I particularly liked the end game of radiant dawn because of this. The section was too short to really train up any OP units, but just good enough to allow victory or defeat based on how well you place units or not. Depending upon the difficulty you could end up killing everything on the map if you do it right.

I like defend chapters. It's actually one of the things I missed in Awakening, the multiple objectives of previous FE games. People like to knock FE6 for only having seize objectives, but FE13 is almost as bad: it's pretty much only rout and defeat boss objectives.
FE6 at least had secondary objectives in chapters. Some of these 2ndary objectives really drove you to play in certain ways. For example, say you wanted to get Percival early. You had to really rush chapter 13. Or say you wanted to get the good ending. Then you need to keep douglas alive. Etc. FE13 has very little of that in this game.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
For example, say you wanted to get Percival early. You had to really rush chapter 13.
Why would you want to do that lol. Then you wouldn't get HM bonuses for Percy.

Edit: Plus he's useless in CH14 since it's a desert chapter.

XTheElegantShadowX

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3625-7979-8675
Awakening: Main lord sucks, his daughter, another Lord, is extremely usefull
Honestly, Chrom is still better than every non-Avatar, and non-DLC character. Yes, Lucina is superior, since you have some control over what Classes will be available to her (Something that Chrom lacks... And they gave him Archer/Sniper over Mercenary/Hero), but nevertheless, Chrom is still one of the more useful Units in the game.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Wow surprised we had a Fire Emblem thread on here. I just bought Fire Emblem awakening yesterday and have yet to play it and my experience with Fire Emblem is limited to the Sacred Stones sadly. How long is the game and how does it compare to other Fire Emblem games like what does it have to offer like DLC maps and other stuff post game etc etc?

nessokman

Smash Lord
Wow surprised we had a Fire Emblem thread on here. I just bought Fire Emblem awakening yesterday and have yet to play it and my experience with Fire Emblem is limited to the Sacred Stones sadly. How long is the game and how does it compare to other Fire Emblem games like what does it have to offer like DLC maps and other stuff post game etc etc?
Awakening is overall a decent game.

Negatives
-Most of the maps are giant rectangles, and feel uninspired.
-There are only two types of battles, route the enemy, and defeat the boss.
-Normal and Hard mode(s) provide no challenge (even to newcomers)
-Plot is pretty dull for the vast majority of the time
-Difficulty curve from Hard to Lunatic is rediculous

Positives
-Character Supports are very interesting
-High amounts of character development (through supports)
-Plenty of ways to level up if you are stuck
-Beautiful Cut-scenes
-A lot of post game content available free (via spotpass)
-Paid DLC to give additional challenges
-Great Soundtrack
-Ability to turn permadeath off (I keep it on, but if you worry about losing units forever it is great)
-skills to break the game even more :I
-Maps for character development
-Fan service maps
-Maps for extra money
-Maps for grinding levels
-Maps to get weapons

DLC is pretty great.
_________________________________________________________________________________
I too, have played the Sacred Stones, I'd say that Awakening is one of the better installments of this
series from what I, in my own experience, have played. It is a fun strategy game, and one of the better
games on the 3DS system.

Just remember when choosing difficulty-

Normal=Baby
Hard=Normal
Lunatic=Kill Yourself
+Lunatic=Bellyslide down a cheese-grader into a pool of boiling lemon juice, THEN kill yourself

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Awakening is overall a decent game.

Negatives
-Most of the maps are giant rectangles, and feel uninspired.
-There are only two types of battles, route the enemy, and defeat the boss.
-Normal and Hard mode(s) provide no challenge (even to newcomers)
-Plot is pretty dull for the vast majority of the time
-Difficulty curve from Hard to Lunatic is rediculous

Positives
-Character Supports are very interesting
-High amounts of character development (through supports)
-Plenty of ways to level up if you are stuck
-Beautiful Cut-scenes
-A lot of post game content available free (via spotpass)
-Paid DLC to give additional challenges
-Great Soundtrack
-Ability to turn permadeath off (I keep it on, but if you worry about losing units forever it is great)
-skills to break the game even more :I
-Maps for character development
-Fan service maps
-Maps for extra money
-Maps for grinding levels
-Maps to get weapons

DLC is pretty great.
_________________________________________________________________________________
I too, have played the Sacred Stones, I'd say that Awakening is one of the better installments of this
series from what I, in my own experience, have played. It is a fun strategy game, and one of the better
games on the 3DS system.

Just remember when choosing difficulty-

Thanks for all of this info good sir.

Normal=Baby
Hard=Normal
Lunatic=Kill Yourself
+Lunatic=Bellyslide down a cheese-grader into a pool of boiling lemon juice, THEN kill yourself
LMAO that sounds fun. A option to choose perma-death is interesting. As for Awakening I can't wait to for Christmas to come so I can play the game already cause I've been busy hella for a good while now.

Also why is FE; Path of Radiance is soo damn expensive? All the times I find a good deal on it IRL I dont have the money and every other time someone is charging for the game hella. Same with FE; Shadow Dragons in my experience.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
PoR and RD because they weren't very successful when they first released, but have since become somewhat sought after.

Not sure about SD, I don't recall it being THAT expensive.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Now then, POR and RD weren't as popular, they stopped production of the games relatively quickly, and now they are desired games. Because nintendo doesn't make them, people have to buy the limited number of the copies currently in circulation. People end up having to pay more for a copy of them in auctions on sites like Ebay, and they have to pay more as to not be outbid. It is supply and demand

nessokman

Smash Lord
I might give this tharcia776 game a shot *I spelled that wrong*
I hate to emulate games, but it almost seems as if it's the only way
How many FE games have you guys emulatered?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247

Holy sh** Orun

Why weren't you there for me in FE6
Which hack is that?

Honestly, Chrom is still better than every non-Avatar, and non-DLC character. Yes, Lucina is superior, since you have some control over what Classes will be available to her (Something that Chrom lacks... And they gave him Archer/Sniper over Mercenary/Hero), but nevertheless, Chrom is still one of the more useful Units in the game.
This is totally false, his class set is NOT that great. I could make a laundry list of generation 1 units I consider to be better than Chrom, and literally every child is better than he is.

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
I actually think both Chrom and Lucina aren't that great but are particularly useful and here's why. Chrom's class set and stats are mediocre in comparison to children. Lucina in relation is slightly better because she can possibly have access to all classes and solid stats(FeAvatar as mother) or a considerable amount but there is a role that they can perfectly that no other characters can fit outside of certain spotpass ones: Pair-up units. Both Lucina and Chrom have access to Dual Strike+ and Dual Guard+. Depending on the mother, Lucina can have Dual Support+ as well. Honestly, I wouldn't even use Chrom if I had the chance but since he's often mandatory for chapters, I pair up with the Avatar and Lucina with whomever her husband is. They provide an average of ~90% dual strike chance and a ~50% dual guard chance with levels and support maxed effectively and unbreakable, strong weapons, all of which is amazing for higher difficulties.

Though this is my preference for these two and I think also a very strong choice. Lucina can probably fit another role considering she is pretty strong(Aether/RK) with the FeAvatar as her mother, it's just Chrom's modifers make a rather garbage MaMorgan with the only redeeming factor being rightful king, also making her nowhere close to being as strong as Lon'qu!SanicSevera, Inigo, Anyone!Morgan, or Noire.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Which hack is that?
Elibian Nights. I may or may not have a video of that chapter up later today.

Edit: For those curious, Orun's growths are:
MHP: 90% Str: 110% Skl: 80% Spd: 90% Lck: 70% Def: 30% Res: 90%

Dayum.

Edit 2: Oh wow look at that, a playthrough of Hector's Tale. Wonder where that came from.

smashmachine

Smash Lord

you missed FE9 MM on your challenge list :p
FE9 MM+FE10 HM transfers run

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I don't consider MM practical as it's JP only, which means I'd have to emulate.

I'd rather just play my physical copy. For that reason I didn't list FE9 HM at all, because I don't think it's that difficult compared to the others listed.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I guess I should just go sit in the isolated corner of people who thought Shadow Dragon was okay and FE7 was extremely bad? :p

That aside though, I may be picking up The Sacred Stones soon. I need to finish that.

Top Bottom