• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
The first half of chapter 2 gave me the most trouble. I was able to clear it by sending Frederick off to the left(well, first he went forward, paired with Vaike he was able to kill the two nearby mercs with one hit and damage the axe? guy enough for the Avatar to kill), slowly towards the mountains and everyone else to the right. I had a few lucky dodges on my successful run, but I think I had one run that didn't rely on luck(failed run because I didn't realize Lissa wouldn't heal one character enough. :()

The second half I just let Frederick take care of most of it, the Avatar got some kills too, but because this will be a Swordmaster run I don't need to care about anyone else(I did buy a Second Seal from Anna, so maybe I will try to level up Sully or Stahl now. )

Chapter 4 was fun, trying to keep Lissa and a level 1 Chrom alive with just Frederick and the Avatar. Anyways, the Avatar is now a myrmidon, time to recruit Mia(maybe Zihark too if this isn't enough) and forge some Erika's Blades and see if I can do this. :3

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I raised MU to lvl. 16 Grandmaster before reclassing to lvl. 1 Mercenary at the beginning of Ch.13. Had Cherche ferry her to one of the forts and let things bounce off of her to raise her to lvl. 10 absurdly quickly. She's now a Hero with Veteran, Ignis, Rally Spectrum, Armsthrift, and Patience (to be replaced by Sol when she hits lvl. 5). She makes up for her lack of tome access with her Levin Sword that never breaks.

Veteran is stupid good.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I found it a lot of fun going through games with no restarts. Being forced to carry on after losing a good character can make the game crazy fun. I've only done this with FE7 and FE8 though. I'm thinking about trying it with awakening but I think I would need to put down some rules... There are certain things you can do in this game that makes it easy.

Astraea31

Smash Apprentice
I found it a lot of fun going through games with no restarts. Being forced to carry on after losing a good character can make the game crazy fun. I've only done this with FE7 and FE8 though. I'm thinking about trying it with awakening but I think I would need to put down some rules... There are certain things you can do in this game that makes it easy.
Yeah I tried this on my first play-through, and it's a lot of fun. I only did this on normal til chapter 20ish and I lost Sumia, Donnel (in his own village), AND Tharja (didn't talk to her). After my 2nd play through I AM so mad at myself for letting those guys die. Donnel hits SO hard, and Tharja tanks everything.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Ima start lunatic soon.(when i get a new 3ds charger and finish a minecraft project)doubt 2 will be as hard for me as you say.it will be one you guys say is easy that gets me :I

I got strategies for chaps 1 and 4 set.a lot of my strategies from hard-classic can be reused.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Alright I just bought awakening a few days ago and I'm playing Hard+Classic right now. Without spoilers is there anyone I really shouldn't let die? I've got quite a roster right now and didn't let anyone die until the chapter with the wyverns, recruits came a turn before I finished up and were in range to pick off a few people. Right now i'm not feeling Cordelia, she's alive but isn't providing much. Worth levelling...and I'm babying the **** out of Donny but he is literally useless and I'm having trouble leveling him.

telemaster

Chime and Twang
NNID
telemaster
for my hard/classic run i benched donny. only used him to pass aptitude. cordelia is useful because of galeforce.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Cordelia is probably the best first generation unit that isn't MyUnit and when you don't galeforce rush her to make Severa retardly OP the moment you get her.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Cordelia couldn't compare with Wyvern Rider Lon'qu for me when she joined, and I really didn't need a fourth flier at the time so she was eventually benched.

Donnel? Hahaha. I recruited him because I recruit everybody, but I'm not going to bother with him without grinding, and if I'm grinding then everyone is absurdly powerful.

Cordelia is probably the best first generation unit that isn't MyUnit and when you don't galeforce rush her to make Severa retardly OP the moment you get her.
After playing through Normal and Hard, Panne was the best unit I encountered. Units like Sumia, Cordelia, Stahl, and Sully I had issues with in some department or another. Panne was just good the whole way through. She needs only 4 levels until level 10 to use the Second Seal, then she gets a huge boost to strength and defence. The only down side was her base speed at that point, but it eventually kicked in after say 5 levels and a support speed fixed it in the mean time.

The only downside for her was the fact that she had weakness to arrows and magic.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Right now I'm trying to get panne and Lon qu to marry, partially because they've both done well for me, mostly because they're misfits who get along well. Not entirely sure how marriage works but I'm hoping it leads to something good.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Like I said I'm going into my first play through blind, I'm hopeful it leads to something good... I'm just going to pretend I didn't read that and rethink it in my second play through :p

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Ah, my apologies, I missed that. I mean, he's better than most units just by virtue of being one of the children, but Lon'Qu has better optimal partners.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Woe is me, my friends!

This being my spring break and having nothing better to do, I decided to get awakening back out and take a crack at Lunatic. I created a new character and cleared the first two map without letting Fredrick be displayed as the map hero (chrom and Mu were). Now I made it to chapter 2 and was doing really well. Couple great level ups, and it looks like I'm finally getting past this map. On top of that I'm positive that Chrom and Vaike are the map heroes and not fredrick, so that's cool.
I'm down to the last guy, the boss. Send in fredrick to weaken him with an iron lance (silver couldn't kill him). Now I just need to hit him with Chrom paired up with vaike. A rapier has a 91% chance of hitting but I decide, "Never can be too safe!". So I use my avatar to trade him the iron sword i found and increase the odds to 96%. And of course, Chrom misses. Leaving the boss to kill him with a 55%.

My 3DS still is displaying chrom's death quote... I keep hoping when I open it back up, suddenly he wont be dead or something.

nessokman

Smash Lord
After playing through Normal and Hard, Panne was the best unit I encountered. Units like Sumia, Cordelia, Stahl, and Sully I had issues with in some department or another. Panne was just good the whole way through. She needs only 4 levels until level 10 to use the Second Seal, then she gets a huge boost to strength and defence. The only down side was her base speed at that point, but it eventually kicked in after say 5 levels and a support speed fixed it in the mean time.

The only downside for her was the fact that she had weakness to arrows and magic.
You're a fool if you used second seals at 10. You level to 20 and they get epic boosts.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I remember when I was playing Chp. 3 on Lunatic, Chrom was pared up with Frederick and managed to dual attack several times on the first turn, two missed in a row. I go to check his hit rate afterwards and it was 91-96%. :/

You're a fool if you used second seals at 10. You level to 20 and they get epic boosts.
There is no reason to wait for 20 in this game to second seal(you may not want to promote right away because of reduced exp, but some class skills could be well worth it) We would wait for level 20 in other games because we would rarely get more than 40 level ups total, but FE13 is not limited by that. Second seals also effectively increase your exp gain compared to before you use them, and you gain new skills and maybe new weapons or other class bonuses like flight.

If you have a second seal, you should use it on a good character as soon as you can.

Sion

Island of Horizon
i think a level 15+ unpromoted gains less exp than a level 1 promoted, so in ideal lower turn count runs, early promoting is nice

Player-3

Smash Hero
nowi is #1 in my heart

(maybe because i used every consumeable stat buff on her and she became invincible)

@Nessokman: Its not necessary right away on Hard or Normal mode. In lunatic its more useful to promote her early with 2nd seal. The main reason for me to 2nd class Panne right away is so she can get that access to Axe sooner to build up weapon rank and get a +5 boost to Attack and Defence. I want to get her to use Iron weapons as soon as possible at the very least. This is pretty valuable on Lunatic when enemies hit very hard and have higher hp where the str is needed and you cannot abuse Reeking Boxes or skirmishes at all. 4800 a pop for a reeking box is going to eat-up your funds (I already had to sink in like 2-3000 for a Thunder Forge to complete chapter 5.) Skirmishes are deadly. The first one I got all enemies had forged Thoron, Silver, Killing, etc. at level 13 and so. Additionally, I plan on using her a lot, so with limited uses on her BeastStone she will not last long and need weapons that will actually be easily burned up. Oh, and her skill is pretty useless on her anyway so there is no reason to wait until level 15 anyway for a promotion/reclass.

So, I feel its better to early promote her. On FE7 on HHM or EHM, early promotion is preferred too if I recall. Enemies are still at like lv 8-9 around middle of the game when you start having units approaching level 15+ and enemies only give out like 10 exp for defeat. It will take a long time to get unis to level 20 at that rate. Eventually, chapters like the desert or the side quest can really only be completed reasonably on HHM with promoted units. I think experience gain is higher for the first 1-3 levels after promotion too due to the reduced level.

I forget about the other FE games, but there are a few cases where its nice for early promotion.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Kinda need to early promote someone to kill the snipers in 17x in HHM

I promote base classes at level 15 in awakening. I only go to 20 if i'm just spamming one unit and he just leveled past 15 that map or kept ending at like 90 exp at the end of a map

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I only go to 20 if it isn't wasting stats and they happen to already be in a base class that I want to promote.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Been training up units just because I feel like it. Been messing around with setups and I think I might have too many dread fighters. (MU, Owain, Yarne, Donnel) Also, nobody is even close to overtaking Tiki as most OP unit stats-wise.

And after reading up on it I found out that for most of the parent pairs I ended up making, they were all terrible. Like, every one. And I feel bat for Owain almost especially. But oh well. I'd say I'll amend it in a second file later but I just beat Radiant Dawn and want to transition over to my playthrough of FE7.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
There was an interview between 8-4 and IS recently that just got posted.

http://fireemblem.nintendo.com/developer-interview/

Some interesting points.

- There was some controversy during development about including the Casual Mode.

- Common enemies were given full artwork as a means for the player to connect with them as well.

- A proposal to set the game on Mars was brought up.

- The story comes first in development, but if the gameplay interferes with the story in some way, the gameplay takes priority, and the story adjusts to accommodate the gameplay.

- One of the initial criticisms from IS playtesters was that polygamy and divorce weren't gameplay mechanics

- Awakening was tailored specifically to give current and new fans the full package of what made Fire Emblem great over the years. Skills, marriage, etc.

- Maps are made with the intent to give the player a directed purpose.

- Some character favorites for the developers were Gregor, Cynthia, and Severa. Tharja got mentioned by everyone.

- The identity of Marth was a plot twist decided on from Day 1.

- Yusuke Kozaki was hired on as the artist for the game partially because No More Heroes was well-received overseas, and Awakening was planned for an overseas release from the beginning. He was also chosen because of his art style of conveying personality through outward appearances. Gaius was mentioned as an example.

- Everyone in Awakening appears to have sticks for feet because the developers wanted to add a type of deformation to the people. Since they were unsure how many bones and joints they could make for each model, it was decided to give the characters knees and not much else.

- The pointing-hand icon when picking characters on the map, and the 1st-person view in battle were created to appeal to Western gamers.

- DLC Legacy characters were picked by Maeda.

- There are no plans for a 3rd series of DLC. The developers could go through with it if there's enough fan demand.

- The developers consider Awakening to be the 14th Fire Emblem game. They consider BS Fire Emblem: Akaneia Senki for the Super Famicom Satellaview service as a numbered Fire Emblem game. This would make Akaneia Senki FE6.

I am surprised by the declaration of the 14th game for Awakening. I bet most people still still continue to refer to it by FE13 though lol
Kinda need to early promote someone to kill the snipers in 17x in HHM
Wait, what Sniper are you talking about? There are no promoted sniper units until the Kishuna level that guy that seals up magic.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
They should have asked why there werent more win conditions like seize the throne and stuff. And why there aren't more guys with colored hair. Haha

Great interview though

Top Bottom