• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Stopped procrastinating and finished the final chapter. Overall I liked it and the ending. Pretty strong title besides the boring middle. The game had my least favorite missions from FE though. Even the first FE had larger maps. Like I said before in the thread, mission variety was really lacking and could've been done better.

They put a lot of effort into the extras of the game. The convos were nice but FE12 (13 I guess...) did it better since they had better character depth rather than just hanging out. Some people might disagree with me on this, but for the next FE, I'd like it to be at least a tiny bit more serious again in terms of recruitment. A lot of them felt like regular anime characters who could belong in a school. Not all FE games were absolutely serious (or had great side characters), but I'd hate for the direction to go like Valkyria Chronicles where it's just stereotype after stereotype (in VC2).

At the moment, FE4 is still my favorite overall while Awakening and New Mystery of the Emblem is right below it. I'm still completing FE5 which should rank around there, but it's hard to rate it since I find the difficulty really out there. Other than that, I just need to complete Gaiden, GBA FEs, and the Ike ones.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I found FE13 maps to be around the perfect size.
FE4's are just too big, making it hard for me to continue with that game. :urg:

FE9 is probably my favorite when it comes to the characters and mission variety.

Chapter 5 on Lunatic gave me far more trouble than it should have, thanks to me shifting focus towards Swordmasters. Lon'qu would be pretty hard to use without that forged Eirika's Blade.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
FE4's is big, but each chapter can be considered like 2 or 3 maps because of multiple castles to seize. But yeah, the maps were huge, luckily it lets you save anywhere. Otherwise I don't think I could get through that game lol

And I forgot about Lunatic mode. I might do that another day since I want to complete DeSu 2 because of the anime.

Nope. That's chapter 19x. 17x is the Port Badon one with all the nasty pirates.

Has anyone beaten Lunatic at all yet? I was wondering how much harder the later chapters get. After chapter 6, things eased up considerably. Enough I could actually train another couple of units. Then, it all got annoying again once the Valimese started attacking.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
FE4's is big, but each chapter can be considered like 2 or 3 maps because of multiple castles to seize. But yeah, the maps were huge, luckily it lets you save anywhere. Otherwise I don't think I could get through that game lol
The idea of multiple castles to seize sounds cool, but it just takes way too long to finish. The fact that most characters need a horse if they want to be decent doesn't help either.

I abuse savestates when I play FE4, it's the only way to make it bearable.
And I forgot about Lunatic mode. I might do that another day since I want to complete DeSu 2 because of the anime.
Lunatic starts off very annoying, with the DeSu2 anime starting soon it would probably be better to start with that.

I need to do the same, but Ronaldo's fight in the AO's path is kind of depressing. I need to go fuse some better demons. :(

I wonder what ending they will go with.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Nope. That's chapter 19x. 17x is the Port Badon one with all the nasty pirates.

Has anyone beaten Lunatic at all yet? I was wondering how much harder the later chapters get. After chapter 6, things eased up considerably. Enough I could actually train another couple of units. Then, it all got annoying again once the Valimese started attacking.
Blah i knew 17x was a side mission but not the one i was looking for. 19x snipers made me cry till i promoted Guy to kill them.

Lunatic hasn't been fun for me so i've been really lax in completing it. I'll probably complete it someday like i did with HHM. (I actually got stuck on chapter 28 in HHM, the one where you rescue prince Zephil if i got the number wrong.. And i then didn't play for it for like 6 months before trying again and successfully beating it)

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
I fear that's going to be me. I'm currently on CH. 15 but all my units except for my unit are only strong physically. And I had trouble even on hard mode with CH. 17 :/

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I have a problem whenever playing hard mode. The moment chapter 12 ends. I HAVE TO GET ALL THE CHILDREN FIRST. Which makes my entire army OP and the rest of the game easy

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I started working my way through lunatic recently.

Is anyone setting rules for themselves?
No risen encounters, dlc spamming, recruiting past avatar ect.
i know the advice usually is don't follow crowds but I want to know how everyone else is choosing to go through this.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
My rules:

No DLC, generally speaking, but if I want to unlock dread fighters/bride or get iote's shield i'mma do it once. Otherwise no DLC until endgame chapter is up.
Risen encounters are fair game. They are too difficult as is, so if you can do it, you did some major work. Pretty much the only way to beat the risen is to summon a spotpass party to them, which costs funds so its fair.
Renown is fair game since its only one of each item and that early game 2nd seal has MyUnit's name all over it.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I'm not using DLC or Spotpass at all, though I did take advantage of Anna's merchant deals and even bought an item or two from teams I encountered via streetpass. (I feel so dirty) I beat one encounter with the help of a weak streetpass team just to see if I could, and beat another with an OP streetpass team for kicks. I'm trying to keep the units I've committed to training (Stahl, Panne, Cordelia, Lucina, Lon'qu as support fodder, Libra for healing) up to speed to avoid having my game become a MU solo, but that's starting to look like a very tall order. >.>

I am making sure to complete without abusing the random bonuses the game gives you. For example, I have not used at all items like Eirika's Sword or Glass Bow, etc. I did sell them for money because the game does give you random items, but by selling for gold its like I am removing the randomness factor. Having a certain amount of gold over x items will be nearly the same each game. But, as soon as you use it you have changed the available resources in the game.

Pretending I do not have wireless access to anything, so no spotpass/DLC stuff.

I am trying to not use the Nosferatu tanking. But, if it gets to a point where I am fed up with the game, MU -> Sorcerer -> game finished.

As a counter to all that though, I am playing on Casual. Mostly because if I lose one unit I likely will not be able to complete a map anyway. And, the save states idea is simply to avoid extra resets.

Oh, and the Risen Encounters should be fair in lunatic. They mostly impossible super early on. Only possible later due to getting closer to promotion time. But, it seems once you promote, it gets hard again as enemies get super powerful, even at lv1 promotion.

I am at chapter 16. Lv9 risen swordmaster in a skirmish is 66hp, 33 str, 40 skl, 42 spd, 34 lck, 23 def, 23 res, forged Silver Sword (15 mt). MU is barely a match for it in one on one let alone a rush from all enemies on the map. Oh, and lets not forget that enemies are having now having lv15 class skills. Swordmaster with astra and vantage. So yeah, skirmishes along with some child paraglogues are like too hard to handle this early.

Reizilla

You're still getting level 9s? I've been getting 20s since I beat Gangrel. If I had to guess why, my MU is probably over leveled.

Okay, I broke down at chapter 18 and Nosferatu Tanked the whole rest of the game with MU. Good to see that the end boss is near impossible to beat without another support unit or an insane amount of luck with MU skill set activating things like Ignis or Luna. Other units come by and heal the end boss to near full health.

Alright, back to real life for a few weeks.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I started working my way through lunatic recently.

Is anyone setting rules for themselves?
No risen encounters, dlc spamming, recruiting past avatar ect.
i know the advice usually is don't follow crowds but I want to know how everyone else is choosing to go through this.
I'm going with:
No DLC for grinding the characters I am currently using, Gold is allowed and so are spot pass shops. I will allow myself to go through the DLC once with my main team. Anna's shops and renown are allowed.
I am allowed to recruit spotpass or anything in my avatar logbook as long as their level and/or stats are around that of my avatar(I have Mia, I also recruited Alm but he only fights in the gold DLC)
Because I also want this to be a support log run, no S supports or children(except for Chrom obviously)
Myrmidons/Swordmasters + Anna only, Pair up with non-Swordmasters is allowed so long as the Swordmaster leads. Now that my Avatar can use Levin Swords I'll try dropping Frederick next chapter(6), Lissa will stay for healing until I get Anna.

I don't expect it to be too challenging compared to other Lunatic runs because I have access to infinite forged Eirika's Blades/Brave Swords and Levin Swords, but I don't know what to expect from the late to endgame. I would not be surprised to reach a point I just can't beat.

Pretty much you get more Master Seals (something like 10 compared to 3 than Second Seals) for a good half of the game (unless you find Anna deals). So, its better to promote units to their promoted classes using the Master Seal first, then wait until they get the lv15 skill on the promoted class.

That's about it.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I think it depends on what you plan on doing with units, as well.

You can buy Master Seals after Chapter 13/14 (I believe it's the Port Ferox Chapter), for 2500 Gold. Second Seals can be bought after Chapter 16 for 2500 Gold as well. You don't get very many Second Seals "naturally", though. You get one in Chapter 8 (The desert one with Nowi if my number is off), one from the Port Ferox chapter off an enemy, and maybe one other from some other chapter, in addition to the one you can get from Renown.

If you have a unit that has another base class whose skills you really want, you should probably second seal them first.

If you have a unit that has a promotion that you want/like, you should promote them instead.

If you're Second Sealing, I think you should Reclass as early as possible once they hit level 10. If you're going to use a Master Seal, I'd say you're better off waiting for them to hit level 14-16 in their base class before promoting, unless you really want to rush the unit to get a skill to pass on to a child.

Reizilla

Brady's stage is kicking my ass. Even MU is getting beat up. But I want to recruit him already since he's chrom's son and the only child I'm going to have besides Lucina (support run).

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I don't have the best memory of that level but you could try picking a direction and abandoning the fort.

Only thing stopping you is the villagers you'll leave behind but hey, they at least slow down the enemies chaseing your tail. :p

Reizilla

A support Chrom plus Levin sword plus dual strike crit eventually let me just kill the boss on the first turn xD I don't think I'd have been able to beat that chapter legitimately for a while.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Oh know what the best thing is?

brave weapon with a brave weapon dual partner meaning you get up to 12 attacks in one battle. your partner will attack twice for each dual attack.

Its also how I kill the final boss, I use a brave weapon with Chrom/Lucina in the background to attack 4 times

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
And then you give brave weapons to two characters with Astra. :3
that would be..... 28 attacks LOL

But its actually probably to get 12 attacks getting 4 70-80% dual strikes in a row. Getting 4 20-25% chances in a row.. is a different story

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Haha, I was stupid and forgot that Astra doesn't activate during the dual strike.

And now I'm disappointed, I wanted to see 60 hits.

And yeah, I wasn't really talking about the practicality of it, just how funny it would be. 28 isn't bad either, especially with a crit forge.

Reizilla

You people are crazy. I always feel like I shouldn't use Brave Weapons, even though they can just be bought. I guess I'm just used to there only being one. I feel like I'm cheating :x

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Even if there is one... ARMSTHRIFT BABY!

Shame we will probably never see FE9/10's grand total of 40 hits be met again (brave weapon + 4 adept procs + 8 astra procs) simply due to how broken adept is as a skill

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I was sad when I realized Adept didn't make it into this game. =[ And just because it was broken before doesn't mean it would still be broken in this game; lots of skills have been changed to adjust how good they are. Vantage has appeared in three different forms (always works in FE9, activation rate in FE10, always below 50% in this game), and we all know how much more ridiculous Counter is in this game than it was in the Tellius games. Adept wouldn't be nearly as broken in this game anyway if we assume it can't stack with other skills, just like how Astra can't stack with Sol. Although, I suppose if that were the case, it would basically be a worse version of Astra. Maybe if you made it like Vantage, so that it only activates below 50% HP, but does stack with other skills...?

Unless you can guarantee a skill to always activate it never seems as broken to me with % activation. At most in FE10, it was a 40% activation or about 2/3 activation with x2 attack for Adept. Armsthrift though is a good activation because you can at least get luck to like 45 and get an activation of 90% at the very least.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Pairing up will get Armsthrift to 100%.

Not that it matters because Limit Break should be next week.

Armsthrift doesn't really add much on it's own anyways, it all depends on your weapon, so I wouldn't call it broken even when it's at 100%. It's just really convenient and saves so much time, it would have made a really nice DLC skill, say give it with Roy, the first set of DLC could have used something more worth having and it would be nice to have Armsthrift on everyone. Oh well.

Also, Vengeance can be 100%.
Haha, Vengeance.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Well adept was basically a 40% chance to attack again. With a brave weapon, you could get up to 8 attacks.. Average would be 5.5 attacks. In this game, besides just having up to 8 attacks, that would also be 8 chances to dual strike.. (Up to 16 more attacks if using a brave weapon)

Anyways, astra pretty much adept ioth half the activiation rate. In awakening it would reach roughly 50% and we all know how often sol procs to know how often adept procs.

The main problem i guess would be the fact that other skills will proc before adept is given a chance.

Know what adept wouldn't be as broken i think it would be in awakening.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
"Hello, Robin! Why you not punch the sack yet?"

Oh, Gregor~

Edit: Limit Break is a skill you get for beating a DLC chapter that hasn't been released yet. It raises the stat caps for everything by 10.

Top Bottom