• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

Do you go through all the text every time? I can't help but skip over it every single time and put the animations to map only. I get so impatient watching those scenes.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Wait, the FE7 draft was for highest tactician rating meaning overall right? If so, wouldn't other drafts that don't include such ratings could just kill off undrafted units? I dunno how that would play into those drafts, but I think the original thought was to keep everyone alive. Just a thought.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Not really what I was getting at. Lunatic in FE 12 with Palla, Catria, etc. is doable, but with any other character that is not the best, its an annoying mode. Not every character in that game can get to the necessary speeds to avoid getting doubled and other stats too.

I was sort of thinking something similar for Radiant Dawn Hard mode.
I don't know anything about FE12 but "lunatic" sounds kind of ... lunatic 0_0
FE10 HM on the other hand is pretty free.

:059:

zyth

Smash Lord
I hear ya. and the FE10 draft is about who completes it the fastest with their drafted units, so if u want dead ppl go ahead

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Just gonna say, i'm dropping out of draft. My time ia going into xenoblade as i've been hooked onto it. Good thing i waited for the semester to be over first... I have a bug problem with wanting to play new games a lot that i ignore other things

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Just gonna say, i'm dropping out of draft. My time ia going into xenoblade as i've been hooked onto it. Good thing i waited for the semester to be over first... I have a bug problem with wanting to play new games a lot that i ignore other things
Awesome. Just beat the game last night. Probably gonna play though it again.

One tip, try to do all of the quest for Alcamoth when you get there. Better to do it sooner than later, but I wont tell you why.
I thought they'd use Sigurd over Celice.
I heard that Celice is more of the main character. They are both the main character really.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I should really play some of the older ones. Any ideas on which to start with?
I'd say FE9 is the best (Radiant Dawn). It's a Gamecube game, so you should be OK with an older Wii. I like it because it removes a lot of the silly classes and is simple enough to be fun. Story and world is cool too. The DS game is good too if you want something really basic. It's a remake of an NES game, so it wont have a lot of the frills the newer ones have.

camerino1

Smash Lord
FE9 is Path of Radiance, not Radiant Dawn. RD is for the Wii, which is my personal favorite. If you're going to play an older one, I'd suggest 7 to start.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/afej/dlc/dlc_0524.html#dlc0524b

...Some guy named "Celice" is newest DLC.
I'm no FE buff, so I have no idea who that is. >:
uhh... That face looks like some sort of goblin or something.

I should really play some of the older ones. Any ideas on which to start with?
lol What counts as older? If your going as far back as the north american release then FE7/FE8 are old. Yet, FE1/2 are far older.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I heard that Celice is more of the main character. They are both the main character really.
Ah, that's true. I thought I remember hearing that Sigurd was more well liked than Celice, but that might've been just some rumor.
Haha. By older, I meant before the GBA games. I've played every NA release and have an emulator for 6. What made everyone think that by older I meant anything before RD?

Oh, and PoR is my favorite btw.
I suggest playing FE4. It doesn't feel too old and the difficulty isn't hard either. FE5 is a side story of 4, so it's more enjoyable to beat 4 first. Plus 5 is really hard...

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
FE9 is Path of Radiance, not Radiant Dawn. RD is for the Wii, which is my personal favorite. If you're going to play an older one, I'd suggest 7 to start.
Oh, my bad. Been a while. Funny though that Radient Dawn was my least favorite game in the series.

FE8 is OK. Very short.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Awesome. Just beat the game last night. Probably gonna play though it again.

One tip, try to do all of the quest for Alcamoth when you get there. Better to do it sooner than later, but I wont tell you why.

I'm already on the final boss (as i infered from the point of no return guide i read).. Clocking 62 hours at level 80. I did enough quests to reach 2 stars at upper bionis then i stopped caring about quests.. If i do a 2nd run, then i'll care about doing a side quest run.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
So the other day I had Ewan solo the Lagdau Ruins on FE8 hard mode. Every floor except the ones with treasure were him alone(treasure had Colm with no weapons equipped) and Floor 7. Because Floor 7 is impossible without at least one other Stave wielder there to cast Restore on Ewan because I ALWAYS get hit by Stone on that floor. Always. In fact it happened 4 times while he was soloing that floor lol. Also He was using Naglfar.

So yeah, it's pretty easy actually.

I actually quite like Radiant Dawn other than a few sections when I actually sit down and think about the storyline in a few spots. But, Hard mode is proving less difficult than I was expecting it to be so far up to the later chapters of Part 3.

But, I think the main problem will likely be in part 4 when I cannot recall what enemies spawn where and on what turn. Certain chapters were really annoying in normal mode trying to keep my units dying from some random mage or something or purge coming from behind.

I'd like to see how Maniac is different from hard mode.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'm already on the final boss (as i infered from the point of no return guide i read).. Clocking 62 hours at level 80. I did enough quests to reach 2 stars at upper bionis then i stopped caring about quests.. If i do a 2nd run, then i'll care about doing a side quest run.
Oh, I thought you were in earlier on. Yeah, so you already know. I was thinking about doing another run myself for the same reason.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
But, I think the main problem will likely be in part 4 when I cannot recall what enemies spawn where and on what turn. Certain chapters were really annoying in normal mode trying to keep my units dying from some random mage or something or purge coming from behind.
4-P is the snow field chapter. On the ~10th turn or so 3 swordmaster reinforcement are warped onto the battlefield, one of them right onto your starting poition within the walls. He's easy to defeat though as Sanaki can get him down to ~10HP and the rest can be done by like any filler unit [even Micaiah with Sothe support should be able to pull it off]. The rest of the reinforcement won't take you by surprise.

4-1 is the fog of war chapter. On the left side there's only one reinforcement [armor] that appears on turn 2 [since there might be a left/right confusion: it's the one side where all the other armor enemies are]. Most reinforcements are coming from the other side [thunder mages, swordmasters] and take some time to get cleared. I usually send Gatrie & Soren to the side with all the armors and let Gatrie hammer them and Soren hit with high-level wind magic. The front is taken by Ike, Rafiel, Nailah and whomever supports Ike [I usually take Shinon] to get control over that area asap and then have Nailiah & Rafiel help out on the right side while Shinon and Ike hold their position and advance slowly.

4-2 is the first chapter with Tibarn. There's one wave of reinforcements coming from behind your starting position relatively soon but IIRC it's only one unit at a time so every easy to take care of with whatever filler units you choose to deploy [Lucia or Ranulf are really good here] and another one from the southern end on the opposite site. None of them are actually threatening.

4-3 is the desert chapter. Around turn 10 or 12 there are 3 pegaus knights appearing from behind your starting position. If you advanced somewhat before that make sure that healers / mages aren't left behind too far. Usually, I have Naesala & Leanne advance straight to the south and clean up the area [especially the guy with Purge] while Skrimir holds the center [it's really easy to control that area] and the rest holds off the Wyverns / Mages from the eastern side [I use Haar with Tanith support as well as Janaff & Ulki]. Those reinforcements really caught me offguard once.

4-4 has reinforcements all over the place. It's actually kind of a hard map tbh as Ike tends to get a bit speed screwed at that point. I personally prefer to have somewhat mobile couple of mounted units get back near the starting position from about 8 turns onwards [I use Titania with Oscar support and have Rolf, Boyd and/or Muarim help them out].

4-5 has no notable reinforcements coming from behind.

I'd like to see how Maniac is different from hard mode.
Yeah, when I DL'd FE10 I was considering the japanese version so I could try Maniac mode but I have a PAL Wiii so it wouldn't work :(

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Isn't it FE9 that lost Maniac mode when it was brought out of Japan.

FE10 Maniac mode should be the same as US Hard mode right.

Here we go.
http://www.serenesforest.net/general/local3.html
Edward and Leonardo's starting levels were raised from 1 to 4, and their stats raised accordingly.
Tempest Blade's critical raised from 0 to 5, Tomahawk's critical raised from 0 to 5, Nosferatu's Hit raised from 65 to 85.
Wrath's activation changed from requiring 20% HP or less to 30% HP or less, and the activation rate was changed from Skill% to 100%.
Resolve's activation changed from requiring 20% HP or less to 50% HP or less, and the activation rate was changed from Strength% to 100%.
Edward, Leonardo and Nolan received an unique weapon each (Caladbolg, Lughnasadh and Tarvos).
Some new base conversations were added, to obtain the above three weapons and also one featuring Nico.
Normal, Hard and Maniac modes were renamed to Easy, Normal and Hard mode. There were other changes, such as the enemies in the final chapter having their stats increased.
In-game permanent saves were added, for Easy and Normal modes.
Support for 16:9 widescreen was added.
Originally there was extra dialogue in Hard/Maniac mode, but all modes were changed to have the same dialogue (although they mostly used the shortened-down dialogue from the Japanese Normal mode).
Forging points were no longer required to forge weapons.
Master Crowns were no longer needed for characters to go from 2nd Tier to 3rd Tier (they could promote by gaining 100 EXP at Level 21).
Some obtainable Master Crowns were removed and replaced with other items, such as Arms Scrolls.
Treasure bug was removed (originally you could repeatedly try and obtain hidden treasures by cycling through the Direct and Cancel commands).
Mist can promote without a Holy Crown.
The Data Transfer freezes when Easy mode saves from Path of Radiance are loaded (only in early copies of the NA version).
In the first cutscene, Micaiah speaks something that resembles Latin, as opposed to galldr, when casting her spell.
Preview movies were added inbetween Parts.
A character illustration gallery was added.
Okay, so some minor changes, but it shouldn't be as bad as FE9's removal of Maniac mode right?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Some of these changes are kinda big imo ... Eddy / Leo starting at level one ... Nolan without Tarvos in 3-6 is a huge nerf. And promotion ONLY through Master Crown changes stuff all around imo. Makes Laguz units even better.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Some of these changes are kinda big imo ... Eddy / Leo starting at level one ... Nolan without Tarvos in 3-6 is a huge nerf. And promotion ONLY through Master Crown changes stuff all around imo. Makes Laguz units even better.

Kinda but there are more master crowns as well. A lot of them were turned into arms scrolls.

However it does make Laguz better for first timers and for those who aren't looking up hidden treasure locations.

zyth

Smash Lord
well if you look at the differences you see that we did in fact get maniac mode in the NA version. its just renamed to hard. so basically whats "hard" for us is "maniac" for the japanese version. but I'm likin that edward got a 3 lv increase....trying to get him up to par in the early chaps would be hard starting at lv1 on normal and hard...I honestly dont even use the 3 personal weapons for the dawn brigade members, since leo tends to be useless, I usually forged a full stat steel/silver weapon for Ed and will give him BKs Alondite, and I ususally prefer Boyd over Nolan at endgame, but i suppose his is needed for the times u use him in part 3

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
The difficulty changes in PoR were more drastic since they took out Maniac mode and added Easy mode. I played through Hard mode about 4 or 5 times that I wonder how much more difficult Maniac mode is.

Oh and one of my favorite gameplay changes in the NA version of PoR is getting Ike to have 4 Iron Swords. He got so jumpy he overprepared.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
i thought it was a designed to help newbies playing normal but fron looking up what causes it, its when you skip the tutorial visit.. Like cause its dumb to do >_> so free swords too yayz

That article says, "Normal, Hard and Maniac modes were renamed to Easy, Normal and Hard mode. There were other changes, such as the enemies in the final chapter having their stats increased." That makes it sound like the enemies in the US mode are actually harder than the Japanese counter parts. This would make sense if your allowed as many 3rd tier units as you want.

Also, I finished up RD hard. I do not think the changes are really all that important in the end. I dropped Leonardo after I think the first 2-3 chapters when I no longer needed his chip damage. I even got rid of Edward as well in favor of Aran. So, those level increases did not do much for me. Although, I did heavily use Nolan's unique weapon for his +4 defence on the part 3 defend for 12 turns chapter.

The game gives you plenty of overpowered units late game compared to the ones your training. Thus, 3rd tier promotion is not really all that important. I did not have any 3rd tier promotion units until the endgame of part 3. And by this time, each army in part 4 has it own bunch of overpowered units in a way that you do not really need to heavily out do yourself in 3rd tier promotion. 4-pro, Skirmir and Naesala. They have the stats to pretty much solo the entire map. Similar thing in 4-3 since they do not have movement issues. 4-2 and 4-5 have Tibarn and Elincia. Give her paragon and a few feed kills and she'll be doing plenty of damage on her own. Tibarn can solo 4-5 too. 4-1 and 4-4 gets Ike and whatever units you want to bring.

Finally, when you get into the tower you can bring 10 free units of your choose other than the forced, 5 of them can be laguz royals. Naesala, Tibarn, Nailah, Caineghis, and Giffca. The Japanese version gives 7 total crowns.

tl;dr I do not think all the changes between the versions are all that significant barring Nolan's +4 def Tarvos. Although, giving him the dragon shield and making sure he gets defence growths early in the game when you can still reset probably makes that more of a mute point.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
If you use royals you're just taking the challenge out of the game. Royals are there for those who have too much trouble in beating RD without them. It helps reduce people being mad at the game.

I will say though, i can't avoid not using a royal in a sense that i use them to clear reinforcements spawning at the beginning

Not having laguz royals in hard mode would certainly be really difficult I imagine for the later tower chapters. At the very least, I do not think you could easily low turn them. It would take a lot longer.

The first two are not all that troublesome. No idea how you could low turn the first map with any mix of units. With a doubling Ike and max strength, you could clear the next map in two turns. Sanaki and Micaiah along with heron support could seige tomb the other boss for the wishblade.

Not sure who you could bring to beat the dragon boss easily. They need pretty much Nihil to avoid any risk from his skills. And they need to do over 50 physical or 46 magic to get any damage at all. The SS weapons do about 20 damage which means you need at least 30 strength to break even against his defense. Beorc class strength caps are around 31-35 for most units. And if your unit manages to gain 34 speed or higher to double, you are still only doing chip damage at best of ~10 damage for one unit. At the end of a turn he heals about 30 HP (I think, w/e his luck stat is). Your not low turning that map if you have to chip away for about 10 turns while healing.

The 4th level I think is easier and manageable without laguz royals. But beating those auras on the final map is a pain. You need 39 speed to double and you need units doing 30/40 physical/magic damage depending upon the tile its resting on. So while your chipping away at that you have the boss dealing about 50 or less physical/magic as far away damage or silencing your units to prevent them from being healed by staffs. I do not think your can win a battle of attrition on the final map.

Ike, Shinion, Boyd/Nolan, Jill get enough speed and strength for dragon boss slaying. And those trueblades would be great for KOing those auras without any dragon boosts. Although, nasir's +5 speed boost would help anyone at 34 speed double those auras. Never considered using the non-laguz royals though. I feel they would take up way too much experience to get to adequate levels to be useful. Skirmir is pretty close though.

Top Bottom