• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Did someone in here say Axes were bad?

Definitely not talking about 9 or 10, I hope. Axes are BEAST in those. Coincidentally, when Dracoknights got to use them.

Other than that, yeah, Lances for the most part. Swords' base power is just too lacking.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I don't care, Swordmaster bias. :mad088:

I try to make use of every weapon type though. :/
Lances are pretty nice.

camerino1

Smash Lord
In 10, Nolan is always my axe-user of choice, he's just awesome. I usually pair him with Edward, and they destroy stuff together.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I was extremely frustrated with Nolan. He never seemed to break above 80 Hit, even in favorable conditions, and at least for me, he averaged closer to the 68-72 mark.

What made this worse is that he capped Skill.

This is all going off of Part 1 by the way. I hope he gets better like Leonardo did for me.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Nolan is always amazing for me, way more than Boyd, mainly cause Boyd has so much competition against good units while Nolan has free reign in hogging all exp

camerino1

Smash Lord
YEAH, Nolan becomes one of the best units in the game. He's, in my opinion, the best axe user. He caps everything but Str and Hp, and gets really close with them.

I really only ever train Zihark, Aran, and Nolan from Part 1, and I can never get their exp to be high enough by the time I get to Part 4. Every other unit I train has nearly maxed out 2nd tier promotion or has gone to 3rd tier promotion. Those three seem to get stuck at lv 10-15 2nd tier and are far too weak to contribute.

camerino1

Smash Lord
I don't see how that is for most people. I usually have most of the Dawn Brigade (except for usually Laura) between level 18-20/2. I must just play the levels perfectly or something, because I love using them, so I do that intentionally. I don't BEXP them all that much either. So, when the laguz level comes around, Aran, Nolan, Edward, Leonardo, Fiona and Meg can all hold up safely for a turn or 2.

You just need to play their levels a little more slowly, that's all.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I only used Garcia in one of my later playthroughs because I figured I'd try out whichever units I hadn't yet trained at that point. I'd never actually use him in a legit playthrough with his Spd. XD

For RD, I pretty much just stick with Nolan, Aran, Zihark, and Jill, plus Edward on Normal Mode. Nolan/Zihark is a great defensive support, Aran is probably the best defensive unit the DB has (BEXP helps him a lot too~) and a wyvern is a handy thing to have. I usually only use Aran and Nolan for the endgame though, in addition to Micaiah.

:005:

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden

GOAT Axe user right here boy.

EDIT FOR ANNA
Anna, the series mascot, can be recruited. Her starting class is Trickster.
I seriously can't wait for this. LOL.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
So i started playing the fe with lyn in it. The one were u start as her then switch to someone else i think its fe6 and it came out for the gba in 2003. So what do i need to know? Who r bad unit r Pegasus knights any good?

Edit: i have never played a fe game b4
:phone:

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
Props for playing da bess FE.

Everyone can be good with proper babying, but try to stay away from pre-promos. (Recruits who are already promoted to second class, see Marcus). They're better for helping out your weaker units until they are tough enough to be wrecking machines on their own. Just play it safe for the first little while and get a feel for the game before you jump right into things. Lyn's story
is the training grounds before the real chapters, so don't skimp out on experience
. As far as Pegasi go, they're seemingly underwhelming, but by no means are bad units. There are other flying units you may prefer later in the game, but they are very very limited in terms of appearance.

Just remember this is a strategy game and to always think ahead. For the most part, FE is the series that lets you 100% pick your team in the long run. While there are some clearly better choices, there aren't many wrong choices. Other than a few obvious ones that is.. LOL. This is a game you'll have to play multiple times to unlock all the secrets and alternate endings.

Also make sure you read up on Support options.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Support options? What r those or where do i read about them? Also good to know there r other flying units b/c i like flying around but my pegasus knight seems kinda lacking. Also when u say obvious bad choices what do u mean, like pre promos or like the bard kid who to me seems kinda useless?

Also thanks for the reply

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Dont listen to sinister B

Florina is unquestionably one of the best units in FE7

Also Nino/Ninian will never be useless. They give your units an extra chance to move. That's just too good.

Also, Dart/Rebecca. Unquestionably the best Support duo in the game.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
I understand how getting to move again is good, but i feel he doesnt move far enough per turn to be helpful in the long run. Also r thieves useful? And besides opening stuff what else do they do like r they any good in combat.

Which ones r dart/Rebecca? R they the white and black mage? If not can u give me a example of what a support unit does so i know what u r talking about.

What determines if during a battle u attack once or twice, and on a realted note i am digging kent atm does he stay very good?

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
Of course she is, she's my go-to support ending with Hector. I love Florina. But she needs heaps of babying and I was always more of a
Wyvern
kind of guy. Maxed out Heath with Vaida's spear is just incredibly OP. I was also talking in relation to the other games' Pegasus Knights.

Read about supports Here.

You'll know what I mean by bad choices, they become pretty apparent after some time. If you'd really like to get a feel for Blazing Sword (the FE you're playing, which is FE7 btw), I'd recommend checking out This guide. I personally wouldn't use it for my first run, simply because I like to see everything as it happens the first time and make my own choices, but it's got some great tips and if you're interested in many of the secrets the game hoards it's a very detailed and dedicated guide.

SPOILER ALERT

smashbot226

Smash Master
Florina gets there earlier and her growths are fairly similar to Rebecca. Even if her CON means her attack speed is shaky and general combat utility is shoddy. Still, if you wanna get dat S Rank, she's fantastic since she can basically make the time rank hilariously easy to S Rank and can't be replaced until Fiora. And even when she comes around- unless you've somehow managed to underlevel Florina THAT much- should be outclassed by her younger sister. Her only major problem is that keeping her alive can be painful.

Heath is a good Afa's Drops candidate and can potentially be trained in the desert, but he comes really damn late and has some stat problems. -1 with Javelin but his SPD isn't too bad anyways. Really, if he came as early as Florina, he'd be ten times better, considering he's also rather underleveled.

EDIT:
Maxed out Heath with Vaida's spear is just incredibly OP. I was also talking in relation to the other games' Pegasus Knights.
I'm pretty sure that Miledy, Haar FE10, Jill FE10, Cormag, and Dean all outclass Heath. Even if you wanna stick with comparing Peg Knights to Heath, which I don't know why you'd want to, there's still Karin, FE12 Shiida, and Vanessa among other Peg Knights that outrank Heath.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
thankyouthankyouthankyou

i honestly don't know how i didn't think to check serenes forest for a newer patch, but i'm glad you told me to check there again. thanks so much :D

YEAH, Nolan becomes one of the best units in the game. He's, in my opinion, the best axe user. He caps everything but Str and Hp, and gets really close with them.
Nolan has the growths of a swordsmaster and the caps of a warrior. I'd rather use Mia or Zihark, who are both miles better than any of the dawn brigade and are easier to train...frankly, that could be said of the entire Dawn Brigade. :(

(exception being JILL <333333)

So i started playing the fe with lyn in it. The one were u start as her then switch to someone else i think its fe6 and it came out for the gba in 2003. So what do i need to know? Who r bad unit r Pegasus knights any good?

Edit: i have never played a fe game b4
Pick units that work well in groups and can cover each other's weaknesses. In general, grouping units by their movement speed is a good idea too, since they can get good Supports together and help each other out on the battlefield. Since this is your first time, you're going to want to use all of your healers too (Serra, Priscilla, etc.). People tell you to avoid using pre-promoted characters, but a notable exception is Pent (and I guess Louise too, since she makes Pent better), who is actually pretty solid, as is
Jaffar
if you recruit him (he's kinda tricky to get though, so be careful!).

EDIT: ABOUT HEATH.

heath kinda sucks. his growths aren't solid enough, he's still weak to bows and doesn't always get enough dodge to help him survive. it's like if you took eliwood, traded his workable resistance and good luck for a bit more Str, and made him weak to bows. he's awful. at least the peg knights have good speed and support options, heath's arguable best supports are Priscilla and Kent, both of who are much more likely to be supported to other units already by the time you get him. With HHM bonuses, it's a different story, but in normal mode he's not worth it.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
Florina gets there earlier and her growths are fairly similar to Rebecca. Even if her CON means her attack speed is shaky and general combat utility is shoddy. Still, if you wanna get dat S Rank, she's fantastic since she can basically make the time rank hilariously easy to S Rank and can't be replaced until Fiora. And even when she comes around- unless you've somehow managed to underlevel Florina THAT much- should be outclassed by her younger sister. Her only major problem is that keeping her alive can be painful.

Heath is a good Afa's Drops candidate and can potentially be trained in the desert, but he comes really damn late and has some stat problems. -1 with Javelin but his SPD isn't too bad anyways. Really, if he came as early as Florina, he'd be ten times better, considering he's also rather underleveled.

EDIT:

I'm pretty sure that Miledy, Haar FE10, Jill FE10, Cormag, and Dean all outclass Heath. Even if you wanna stick with comparing Peg Knights to Heath, which I don't know why you'd want to, there's still Karin, FE12 Shiida, and Vanessa among other Peg Knights that outrank Heath.
You pretty much completely missed what I meant.

But yeah, Florina comes earlier and is definitely worth using.

smashbot226

Smash Master
You pretty much completely missed what I meant.

But yeah, Florina comes earlier and is definitely worth using.
Nah, I understood than giving Heath a Spear makes him good. Same can generally be said with most spear users in the game, including Sain, who's probably the best lance-user in the entire game other than Oswin. And as they say, PEMN.

Nolan has the growths of a swordsmaster and the caps of a warrior. I'd rather use Mia or Zihark, who are both miles better than any of the dawn brigade and are easier to train...frankly, that could be said of the entire Dawn Brigade.
Dude. Volug is a monster. Seriously, he's still usable at endgame.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
So any tricks about changing classes or i guess its really upgrading classes? Like should u wait and level up more b4 u do it?

Also no one answered my question about if thieves r good for anything besides opening chests.

Also thanks for the help so far

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Also Nino/Ninian will never be useless. They give your units an extra chance to move. That's just too good.
Don't you mean Nils? Nino is the mage you get late.

For changing classes, it's better to wait for the unit to hit level 20 first. IIRC, thieves are good for getting S rank in funds, but I doubt you're focused on that. Don't forget that they can steal, useful for enemies who have an item you want, but doesn't drop it on death. They can also become assassins, but I dunno how useful they are since I don't play FE7 often enough to actually get around to using Matthew or Legault as assassins.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Nah, I understood than giving Heath a Spear makes him good. Same can generally be said with most spear users in the game, including Sain, who's probably the best lance-user in the entire game other than Oswin. And as they say, PEMN.

Dude. Volug is a monster. Seriously, he's still usable at endgame.
growths-wise, he holds up pretty nicely...i remember using him in endgame once and he was actually still pretty good, but laguz strike weapons take so much time to level up to SS...and you get the royals in part 4. :(

That's one of the things I love and hate about RD: any unit can be perfect. Literally. Any. Unit. I went through and leveled up Tormod, Ilyana, Fiona, Vika, and Laura to 20/20/20 on a hard-mode playthrough. It took all of my patience to bexp/grind them up, but it was satisfying seeing Fiona and Laura max all their stats through good use of BEXP. And see Ilyana completely fry
Dheginsea
with Rexbolt, since that's awesome. When you talk about units in that game, they all have the potential to be really really good, it's just that some take more effort than others.

So any tricks about changing classes or i guess its really upgrading classes? Like should u wait and level up more b4 u do it?

Also no one answered my question about if thieves r good for anything besides opening chests.

Also thanks for the help so far

get your units up to level 20 before you use the promotion item on them, it helps to have more level-ups. pick one thief and use him all the time so that he gets all the exp, a lot of what you find in chests are items that boost stats or rare weapons so you really want to steal everything you can!

Also, yes, thieves can steal items from enemies. The best thing they can steal from enemies, though, is the Physic staff. It heals at a distance and is incredibly useful.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Thieves can't steal staves in the handheld games though. =[

The reason you really want to train thieves is so that they become more durable. The more you level them up, the better their HP/overall survivability becomes, so if you wind up in a situation where you have to rush to get a chest, your movement won't be as restricted. In addition, some chapters have enemy thieves that try to open chests before you. Being able to steal things back from them makes things a lot easier, but you can only do so if your speed is higher, i.e. your thief is leveled up.

:005:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
After the removable of rank in Fe, promoting before level 20 is dumb now. Also since there is promoting with 100 exp to upgrade, no more need to not level to 20.

Pegasus knights are my favorite units in FE.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Thanks for the replys, i will start using my theif more, good thing i found out b4 the end of lyn's part of the game b4 the serious business starts

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Don't you mean Nils? Nino is the mage you get late.

For changing classes, it's better to wait for the unit to hit level 20 first. IIRC, thieves are good for getting S rank in funds, but I doubt you're focused on that. Don't forget that they can steal, useful for enemies who have an item you want, but doesn't drop it on death. They can also become assassins, but I dunno how useful they are since I don't play FE7 often enough to actually get around to using Matthew or Legault as assassins.
Yes i do. It's cool, my phone auto corrected Nils to Nino because I actually added Nino to my dictionary.

Assassins in FE7 are basically the same as thieves but they cant steal. They can however still use lockpicks. Honestly I usually make Matthew an Assassin because of his stupid luck/skill/speed growths because OHKOs are awesome. That said Jaffar is a much better assassin simply because he comes with 19 Str(thank god too because 5% growth in Str is STUPID) I keep legault as a lvl 20 thief just in case there's something really worth stealing.

smashbot226

Smash Master
growths-wise, he holds up pretty nicely...i remember using him in endgame once and he was actually still pretty good, but laguz strike weapons take so much time to level up to SS...and you get the royals in part 4. :(

That's one of the things I love and hate about RD: any unit can be perfect. Literally. Any. Unit. I went through and leveled up Tormod, Ilyana, Fiona, Vika, and Laura to 20/20/20 on a hard-mode playthrough. It took all of my patience to bexp/grind them up, but it was satisfying seeing Fiona and Laura max all their stats through good use of BEXP. And see Ilyana completely fry
Dheginsea
with Rexbolt, since that's awesome. When you talk about units in that game, they all have the potential to be really really good, it's just that some take more effort than others.
I don't see Meg, Lyre, or Astrid anywhere. :awesome:

While somewhat agree with your sentiment, you can't really claim the same on HM, where the game becomes a completely different sort of beast. Then you get to figure out the hard way why so many people despise the Dawn Brigade and think the Greil Mercenaries are the most overpowered bunch since the FE8 horse users. Yes, you can still get someone like Fiona to a decent level, but it's REALLY difficult to do so without immense babying when you already get good cavaliers... well, Titania is technically the best one but Haar beats every other sort of rider by a gajillion.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
=[ u no fun

i love fire emblem but ive only played 7 long ago. I wish they would make the games have stat increases but with smash gameplay instead of just using numbers and probability only (I understand that's what the game is but still... I feel this would be more enjoyable if executed well). That would probably be the greatest game ever.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I can imagine people going ape**** if they did that even if it was executed well.

Top Bottom