• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

camerino1

Smash Lord
Only one magic type seems like a huge fall, actually. I can't see what their strategy was there at all. It makes more sense to have the 2 weapon triangles, it keeps things balanced. Now magic will more likely be overpowering.

I get my information from Serenes Forest and I think they're reliable.
Oh, then that is legit. The only place to confirm any FE information is from them. Vincent gets like all the information I think.
Anybody interested in fe4/fe5?

Loved those games, even more than the english FEs.

also glad I finally found an FE thread.
FE5: lack of money, having to steal everything, and general low weapon durability sort of bothers me in the first few levels. FE4 is pretty much my favorite of the series and would love to see a remake.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Only one magic type seems like a huge fall, actually. I can't see what their strategy was there at all. It makes more sense to have the 2 weapon triangles, it keeps things balanced. Now magic will more likely be overpowering.
Or it could be in the middle with the only real advantage would be vs. characters with bad res which isn't any different from past FEs. I can't really see any reason to assume that it would be overpowering at this moment.

I would like a magic triangle, but losing it should only get rid of the advantage or disadvantage you would get in magic vs. magic and not effect your ability to easily kill a mage with with any melee unit because the two weapon triangles don't overlap. Kind of like a magical bow without the death to everything that can fly.

I think you are jumping to conclusions right now. :/

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
The only real negative is that there might be only 1 S/SS rank magic weapon :\

but that'll only matter in like in end game stuff if that exists.

camerino1

Smash Lord
I mean that, mages will have more power like they did in the originals. With the 3 magics, there was balance within the magic realm of things as well. They balanced each other so that a mage couldn't just walk through a map and burn everything, without coming across a mage that beat him by weapon type. That's the difference now, and I don't like that.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Not really.. Dark magic you usually only get 1 class that is a gimmick with luna and nosferatu (which I love doing) and light magic sucks so in essence they just took out gimmicks and worthless magic type.

EDIT: misread, anyone can go through a map and burn everything if you over level them.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Damn, I've ignored Fire Emblem for so long, my anger at NoA not bringing over FE12 is finally setting in. :mad088:

It's making me a little worried about FE13 too, if I had the money I would probably be getting ready to import that bundle.

I really like that FE 3DS.
I really want this FE, it's looking great, and at least it looks like NoE will localize it so there is some hope for NA. :/

I guess I've been spoiled by Atlus localizing everything they have.

camerino1

Smash Lord
I never found light magic to be a joke at all really. My best mages (Lucius being the best one) are usually light mages.

And yes, anyone can when overleveled. I just prefer the magic triangle because it added more unit diversity.

And also, axes are usually the worst of the 3 melee weapons (only one where it's best is 10 that I can think of) and most is swords. Should this make it as only swords and anima magic? I just find that having the balance in all of the aspects of fighting on both sides like this is best. It feels complete.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
i feel like even though some units benefit much more from certain weapon types and that VERY GENERALLY, in the english FEs, swords>lances>axes simply because hitting the enemy is the most important thing, more so than any weapon triangle bonuses. For magic, it applies less since most enemies don't have enough Res to really make a difference either way, so unless you're powerful enough to one-shot most enemies, magic bonuses don't matter very much.

at least nothing's awesomely broken like Holsety. lolololol

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
The weapon triangle is pretty meaningless honestly. In any given game there's enough units with unreasonably good Skill with any given weapon affinity that means you'll rarely if ever miss except against other characters with unreasonably high stats(aka late game bosses)

That said I still feel Lances > Swords > Axes because even if you're losing to axes, they still cant ****ing hit you.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Lances are better than swords for being stronger and lance only units tend to have higher str than sword only units.

camerino1

Smash Lord
Speed is arguably the best stat though, and most sword only units excel in that stat. While most lance-only units do tend to have more str, they lack the speed more often, even if just due to class.

TL?

Smash Ace
How can you people be sure that there will be no triangles with magic? Perhaps the rumors just mean that wind, fire, and lightning will be compiled into anima.

This is all it says on serenesforest:
"Magic (at least Elemental Magic) is still combined into a single Tomes category (seen in My Unit's status screen)."

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Speed is arguably the best stat though, and most sword only units excel in that stat. While most lance-only units do tend to have more str, they lack the speed more often, even if just due to class.
I find that all the stats play an important role but the ones i want to see most are str, speed, and def (since you see more weapons than magic in the beginning when you don't have epic healing abilities)

str lets you 1 round units (2hko), speed lets you double, and def lets you sponge some hits in the front lines.

Honestly, I'd rather have str over speed as its less weapon durability loss when both str and speed units take 2 turns to kill 1 unit. For both units def is important and you tend to see def more on units that have higher str than higher speed.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
It depends on the type of unit. Peg Knights cap nearly as high as sword masters.

And honestly there's no such thing as a "Most important stat" since EVERYTHING is important. In fact if I had to choose anything I'd say Con was the most important over everything else.

camerino1

Smash Lord
But it's much more likely to see, especially early game, that a unit won't die when attacked by your power unit, when it will by your speed unit. It's easier to 2-hit and kill because of speed, rather than 1-hit due to strength.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Con is the most important in older games, newer FEs have adopted making str your ability to use weapons without speed loss (essentually none after reaching a certain str cap)

I honestly think the str system should be reworked so like every 2 str = 1 weight. That way you lose attack speed mid-late game on some weapons

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
FE8 is what I wall call "Casual FE to the Max"

I really really really hope world map skirmishes are not there in lunatic mode, or if they are the chapters account for them and its limited.

The one thing i liked about skirmish maps was easy support maxing though

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
I still feel like the ruins are pretty legitimate on hard mode in FE8. Even with max level and great support pools plenty of **** that can kill you. In fact the thing i found the most hilarious was that the bosses of each floor were the weakest units on the floor. Everything else had multiple capped stats. Bosses still just had like 16-18 stats lol.

Also while FE8 is definitely broken as balls, hard mode in general is still pretty good. It's not Hector hard mode though lol

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I never really DID give fe8 a full chance, I just beat it on normal and called it the easiest game known to man. Should I actually go play hard mode?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
I never really DID give fe8 a full chance, I just beat it on normal and called it the easiest game known to man. Should I actually go play hard mode?
Hard mode is actually really ****ing hard lol. Especially since you cant RNG *** the game out really early in the tower like you can on normal. In fact i dont think you can really RNG the game at all until after you've beaten it. And things can definitely kill you in hard mode. There's Gorgon's running around with 29 Mag and those Dogs with like, 30 speed, 25 skill and 26 str. What's funny is, Bishops, absolutely the most broken thing in FE8 Normal just werent that useful to me in FE8 Hard mode since honestly, 25 Mag isnt enough lol.

That said, it's still not like, unpossibly hard like some of the other famous FE challenges. Amelia still breaks the game with capped Speed/Str/Def/Res and huge Skill/Luck. And being able to buy Brave Weapons, especially with Garcia who's Con is basically made for it, is just stupid lol. But it's definitely much more of a challenge than you'd assume for a game that's like, piss easy on normal.

camerino1

Smash Lord
I'm kinda afraid to play FE6 on hard mode, because I have had some horrors on normal with it. Is that game really hard on hard more, to the point where you guys would just suggest sticking to normal?

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Hard mode is actually really ****ing hard lol. Especially since you cant RNG *** the game out really early in the tower like you can on normal. In fact i dont think you can really RNG the game at all until after you've beaten it. And things can definitely kill you in hard mode. There's Gorgon's running around with 29 Mag and those Dogs with like, 30 speed, 25 skill and 26 str. What's funny is, Bishops, absolutely the most broken thing in FE8 Normal just werent that useful to me in FE8 Hard mode since honestly, 25 Mag isnt enough lol.

That said, it's still not like, unpossibly hard like some of the other famous FE challenges. Amelia still breaks the game with capped Speed/Str/Def/Res and huge Skill/Luck. And being able to buy Brave Weapons, especially with Garcia who's Con is basically made for it, is just stupid lol. But it's definitely much more of a challenge than you'd assume for a game that's like, piss easy on normal.
heheh alright. I should try it then! I've cleared 4, 7(HHM and lower), 8(normal), 9(hard and lower), and 10(hard and lower) with no deaths, so I should try doing that as well.

also, to everybody else, I never actually finished thracia because I could only find an incomplete, very rough translation patch for it. anybody know whether there's a cleaner, more complete translation for it so I can tackle it again?

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
FE8 Hard mode can be challenging at points, it you restrict yourself. I did a run without doing skirmishes or using the tower, and I remember the ghost ship chapter on Ephraim's route giving me a ton of trouble. :x There was a ridiculous number of monsters, with the occasional really strong one that was a pain to single out just because of the numbers. Combined with the flying magic units and strong gargoyles you had to deal with on the restricted movement of the ship, that chapter was a huge pain. It almost broke me, but I managed to beat it on like, my 10th try. It's still one of the easiest games though.

I finished FE6 Normal mode recently, but I haven't gotten around to attempting Hard mode yet. I know that when I do, I'm going to be very careful about which units I use. I'm looking forward to tackling it myself, but I suppose it depends on how much you like a challenge. I'll be honest though, part of me just wants to play it to see what Rutger is like with Hard mode bonuses. :x

:005:

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
I actually consider Eirika's Route to be harder since as a character Ephraim is just way the **** more broken than his sister. I think the hardest thing for me in FE8 Hard mode was trying to get Amelia in her first available chapter while still reaching all the houses available on the map before the pirates did. I failed. **** it, didnt need that other Rapier anyways.

FE8 Hard Mode has it's moments because of the sheer level of bull**** they'll throw at you from time to time throughout the game. Even abusing the tower doesnt really help too much since it becomes too costly after your units reach level 10(half exp at that point makes kills literally useless on anything other than promoted enemies) You'll wind up with no money which hurts way too much in the long run. If anything the main reason that FE8 is broken is the actual units themselves. Ignoring outliers like Ross/Ewan/Amelia, you've got Neimi, Tana, Ephraim, L'Arachel, Lute(although she's kind of less broken because of her ******** low Con and unreasonably low Res. Still, dat Max Mag) Cormag and to a lesser extent Eirika, Gilliam, Garcia, Artur and literally every one of the swordsmasters and thieves. Except Rennac. Rennac is **** awful. There's just too many good units.

Also, fun fact, the most useful unit for me in the entirety of the Lagdau Ruins was Marisa who I made an Assassin. Supports put her at an absurd Crit rate(something like 70-80%) and when cyclops enemies have 80+ health, on 20 Def, you just skip doing the work and OHKO the things lol.

camerino1

Smash Lord
Well, I normally play Oujay, Noah, Treck, Bors, Fir (I'm thinking though that it'd be better with Rutger), Shin, Wolt, Milady, Zeiss, Tate, Saul, Lilina (probably going Lugh next play though), Ray (dat A support) and Dieck.

This playthrough I have Oujay, 3 armor knights, Noah, Treck, Lilina, Saul, Milady, Gonzo, Ray, Dieck, Wolt, Tate and Lot. Lot sucks, if it wasn't for his support with Dieck I'd stop caring about him and put in Rutger... actually, Rutger supports him too.

Alan and Lance are good, don't know why I don't like their characters ;p

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
That team is very different from mine. =P For my hard mode run, I'd probably go with something like Alan, Lance, Rutger, Dieck, Clarine, Lugh, Ray, Shin, Gonzales, and Miredy. I try to stick with small teams with really good units for hard mode, while I'm more likely to branch out and experiment more with different units in Normal mode. I want to try a playthrough with units I haven't used yet like Fir, Saul, Oujay, Lilina, and Thany/Tate, but I wouldn't think to put time into any of them for a Hard mode run since there are alternatives that are better and/or require less babying. I kept my team really small in my FE7 HHM playthrough, and there were points where I felt I would've been helpless had I used more units, since my EXP would've been divided more thinly.

But yeah, if you want to do a FE6 hard mode playthrough, I'd definitely recommend trimming down your team and using only the best of the best. I kind of feel like my own tentative team of 11 including Roy might be stretching it. :x I might drop like, Shin or Gonzales or something, even though they're both solid units who get Hard mode bonuses.

:005:

camerino1

Smash Lord
Well, for a hard mode run, I'd probably go: Oujay, Bors, Rutger, Zeiss, Lugh, Shin, Ray, Noah, Treck and Saul. Gonzo/Shin would also do wonders here. I am going on easy right now, so my team doesn't need to be so condensed.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I haven't play a FE more than once unfortunately.

If I ever find the time it will definitely be FE6 hard mode. I really want to, but I always find another game to play. :/

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x0dAxdVubxM

class system being explained.

Liz can use an axe confirmed, <3

There is a class change seal to change you class two 2 different classes so 1 unit has a choice of 6 different promoted classes to be in the end.

Callum, a Knight, can use a Master Seal to promote to a General or Great Knight. He can also use a Change Seal to switch to a Thief or a Priest. If he uses a Master Seal as a Thief, he can promote to an Assassin or Trickster, and if he's a Priest, he can promote to a Battle Monk or Sage.
Seems like you learn skills dependent on what class you are (like learn miracle as a cleric)

You keep skills from previous classes you used to be.

Here is some info from serenesforest

Character profiles for Gangrel, Inverse, Tiamo, Donnie and Anna.
Anna, the series mascot, can be recruited. Her starting class is Trickster.
Returning characters can be recruited via SpotPass. Ira, a popular character from Genealogy of the Holy War, can be seen as a Swordmaster with great stats.
The returning characters' squads include themselves and several Other-Worlders, who you must defeat before you can recruit them to your team.
Rare items that can be purchased from SpotPass squads include Beastslayer and Rexcalibur.
Normally, enemies will appear randomly on the world map, but there is a special item called a Scented Box that can summon enemies to a specific location chosen by you.

If the game is hard, I can definably see myself playing this so much just because of how much different combinations you can do in the game.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Callum, a Knight, can use a Master Seal to promote to a General or Great Knight. He can also use a Change Seal to switch to a Thief or a Priest. If he uses a Master Seal as a Thief, he can promote to an Assassin or Trickster, and if he's a Priest, he can promote to a Battle Monk or Sage.
can use a Master Seal to promote to a General or Great Knight
can use a Master seal to promote to a... Great Knight
Let the **** train commence.

Top Bottom