• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
When it comes to wanting units back, i want Vika back cause she would probably be the best non-royal laguz stat wise.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I want one for the Wii-U, and continuing in the Tellius series would be nice actually. Though I doubt it because Ike ran off with Soren, so I can't see much more story, unless Ike leads something on a new continent with an all new set of units and Soren by his side. I would like one on the Wii-U though.

Edit: Shadow Dragon has nice replay value because of the reclass system, but as a story game it's VERY dry. Play for the fun and not story and you'll be fine.
Same, I actually prefer it to be console based since it's more appealing to me, not to mention since FE9 and FE10 have already been on the latest consoles, it would only make sense.

As for the story, yeah if Ike somehow managed to return with Soren, yeah the would be pretty great, I guess it should be the final chapter of Tellius where it would conclude the series of Ike, and plus we would most likely get the Laguz back seeing they are connection with Tellius already, but then again I also wouldn't mind a completely new game to start out with, like FE13.

I've always wanted to play either FE6 (Roy's game) or Hector's story, both seem potentially interesting, I also heard FE5 happens to be the hardest? I could really use an FE challenge lol..

As for Shadow Dragon, hmm.. you say the story isn't so great? Well, I so enjoy FE's for there story, but what I mainly like is the fun it can provide and replay value, if it's fun and challenging then I'llost likely look into it, more of a reason to do so since Marth happens to be in it.

:phone:

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Oh fantastic! Glad to see another Fire Emblem game announced that isn't a remake.
My thoughts exactly. It's nice to be hyped for this series again!

For now, I'm just hoping they bring supports back the way they existed pre-Radiant Dawn, and get rid of the silly class change system from Shadow Dragon. A challenging game would be nice, but seeing how the difficulty has progressed in the recent releases, I'm not really worried in that regard. I do hope they don't mess with gameplay mechanics too much for the sake of difficulty though; I'm still pretty iffy on the decision to remove the weapon triangle from Hard mode in RD. =s

:005:

camerino1

Smash Lord
Weapon triangle shouldn't have been taken out because it hurt the DB, bringing down the usefulness of units like Edward, Nolan and Aran who used that advantage from the triangle and needed it to have their full potential. I hope for another low-leveled Myrmidon that turns out amazing, maybe the Est archetype character could be :bee:

FE:SD is really good in terms of replay because you can keep reclassing units and getting new combinations. Story is almost non-existent though. Right now I'd say the best unit if used properly is Cord. Reclass between Mercenary and Armored Knight, he wont let you down. Radd is the best natural Myrmidon stat-wise, though impossible to train on harder difficulties. Navarre is easier then, and wont turn out bad either. I like it for everything that the others didn't have, but for nothing they did. No conversations but endless reclassing.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Weapon triangle being taken out made getting screwed over from RNG much more likely with missing more and getting hit more

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'm gonna be the dissenting opinion here and say I'm GLAD they took the weapon triangle out in hard mode.

It made certain units so much more useful. Remember how hard it was to use Sword users in the later parts of FE7 because WYVERN KNIGHTS EVERYWHERE?

The game is almost certain to be heavy in one weapon type or another just because of the "themes" of certain chapters and sections. Edward isn't getting ***** by Lance cavaliers or pegs, for example.

camerino1

Smash Lord
You do make a point. But if we're using Edward, the only level where he is the leading character for sure was with only axe users. But I see your point in other instances like in 7 where every second enemy had spears. I guess it just depends on how you look at it. Both ways have their benefits at some point in time during the game.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
With cavaliers able to use all 4 weapons and wyverns being axe users, i can see the game being a bit nicer in diversity in the weapons you have to fight.

camerino1

Smash Lord
That's pretty cool. I'm joining, FE:RD is my favorite.

I'm actually doing another replay. I'm at stage 3:1, if I remember correctly. I can't wait until I get control of the Dawn Brigade again.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Meh, i don't really like the console FEs cause they are slower than the GBA FEs

If I do another RD run, i'm going to use all the the Pegasus knights.

camerino1

Smash Lord
That's why I love them. Lower leveled units that you have to work to get up to par are much more entertaining for me than knowing I'll be able to get through every level by abusing the stronger units. Which means, I always train every member of the Dawn Brigade, even when doing a hard mode run. Makes it more exciting for me :p

camerino1

Smash Lord
I am doing another FE8 runthrough, and my Ewan scored a weird critical on Orson. 51% hit, 9 damage, 1% critical. Orson didn't die though, he had 1Hp after that. But yeah, those random criticals are evil.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
70% of my crits are useless or just save 1 durability on my weapon

Only time my crits ever matter, if i'm reseting the chapter so much that I memorize the RNG order (I do that to get good level ups)

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
My favorite char in Path to Raidance was Sothe even though he sucked I simply liked him as a character and wished he got more of a story. Then Radiant Dawn came out, hell yeah.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
My favorite in PoR was Gatrie because I sent him off to die the first time I used him, but he remembered that he's Gatrie and killed everything.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Was playing PoR earlier today and showing my friend how Ike can solo the final chapter on the hardest difficulty. Then he got hit by Deadeye. First time that's ever happened to me.

Curse of the 1% will always haunt people.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
How about 1% Steel Bow crits from Oleg after 5 hours of Arena grinding?

Those suck.
This is exactly the reason I don't bother with Arena grinding. :awesome:

I've forgotten how frustrating this series can be. I started my second FE6 playthrough a couple weeks ago (didn't finish my first one because I lost the files) after not having played any FE game in over a year. I always seem to find a way to do something dumb at the end of the chapter. >.> For example, at the end of the desert chapter (14), I was on turn 25 and I had to seize that turn to get the bonus chapter. The leader had been defeated, Roy was within range, I had just collected the last buried item, and everything was fine. So I decide to let my free units beat on some of the brigands that were lying around for Exp/Wexp. I had just promoted Ellen at the beginning of the chapter, so I went to attack one with her, but she didn't have enough power to KO it herself. So naturally, my instinct is to grab somebody else who doesn't need the EXP to weaken it first. I do exactly that...using Roy. =/ I realized what I had done immediately after the attack, and restarted. >.>

The next time I played the chapter, I got to the end as before...but when I collected the final item (the Warp staff), my storage was full, and I didn't realise it. So when the window to select an item to discard came up, I spammed A until it went away because it works exactly the same as the window to select an item to send to storage. It was at that point that I said "**** it" and moved on. :x

IDK if it's just my imagination, but it also seems like every time I replay a chapter, I get worse level-ups than I did last time...

camerino1

Smash Lord
I was stuck on that level for a while, too. That level is evil, no matter how well you try and play it. It's too easy to make a mistake. I haven't played this game on hard mode, and I don't know if I want to because of this exact level.

My favorite character in PoR... Ike lol... I really like aether
I loved aether until I found out that if I had ike attack a door, he might glitch and start attacking it over and over and over again with aether. I had that happen thee times and it lasted forever.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I was stuck on that level for a while, too. That level is evil, no matter how well you try and play it. It's too easy to make a mistake. I haven't played this game on hard mode, and I don't know if I want to because of this exact level.
I usually memorize exactly what I did (from all the times of restarting, its a habit i picked up) so I can replay good level ups exactly

I loved aether until I found out that if I had ike attack a door, he might glitch and start attacking it over and over and over again with aether. I had that happen thee times and it lasted forever.
I don't waste Ike's turn breaking doors

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
The chapter itself wasn't even that bad for me, it was just the things I was doing at the end. :x I had a pretty good team for it though, and having Rutger and Dieck both promoted made dealing with the berzerkers and millions of brigands trivial (though to be fair, those two make EVERYTHING trivial). I found that using two thieves made things a lot easier though, not only for collecting all the items (**** yeah 100% pickup rate), but also for dealing with the FoW.

I found the following side chapter to be much more difficult simply because of the multitasking involved; dealing with vanishing floors, TWO Bolting Sages (see my earlier post) and the stream of pirates coming at you from the side opens up a lot of opportunities for mistakes. I restarted that chapter so many times... -.-

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I still have fond memories of FE6's chapter 21.

That game was fun. ^_^

I haven't played a FE in a long time though, I would play one if I didn't have so many games to play now.

camerino1

Smash Lord
I do that too, Ussi. That was probably the level I reset the most, so I knew for the first 15 moves exactly what was going to happen :p.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Meh, i don't really like the console FEs cause they are slower than the GBA FEs

If I do another RD run, i'm going to use all the the Pegasus knights.
How so? :surprised:

Well, I only ask because I've never played a handheld version of FE before, only the ones on older consoles.

But yeah, I really need to get on that Radiant Dawn, I'm actually on my 4th time with Path of Radience, I'm in chapter 10 as of now, I mostly likely will check out some of the newer ones and see how much any of the triangles or anything like that has changed.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
The handheld games (at least, the GBA games, FE6-8) have a very different style of animation from the console games. They have sprite based animations that are much more...well, animated than the console games, which have comparatively much more realistic animations. From my experience, most people (myself included) seem to find the GBA animations more pleasing, which I think makes the game seem faster. I can't really comment on game speed in terms of menus and unit movement though; I haven't played either of the console games in quite a while.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
People play with animations enabled on the console games?

Jeez, talk about tripling the game's length.

Top Bottom