• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
There aren't many terrible units in PoR. Barring RNG schenanigans, most units are usable.

Makalov is usually seen as one of the worst.

Many of the laguz are bad.

Sothe sucks in PoR: he can't promote because of story reasons, and is very weak.

I like Bastion because he looks so much like one of my old friends, and he seems like a cool guy, but he's generally seen as unneeded since you have Soren.

People who train Rolf swear he's amazing, but he starts out so weak... Shinon joins a bit late but is really good, so it's up to you.

Most people use Mist as the designated healer, since she has certain perks later on that make putting up with her low starting stats worth it. But, this also means not a lot of people use Rhys. Rhys is fine, though. Way better than the Bishop you get much later...

You can't get Pelleas until your second save file. He's not necessary by any means, but it is entertaining to have a dark magic user (he's the only one).

I don't remember if Tanith is worth using... I know you get Marcia way earlier. Sigrun joins way late, but has that cool summoning green units ability.

Geoffrey and Lucia are usable but generally not needed. They join pretty late. They have good stats, though, if I remember correctly.
I think you're mixing up PoR and RD. Pelleas isn't in PoR, and Rhys is the only Priest/Bishop you get.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Wow. Okay. I thought when Eldigan withdrew he was going to take his cross knights with him. But apparently they stick around and try to kill everyone. That's great. I dunno what to do now because there's nothing I can actually do to keep anyone from doing here. :Y

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Makalov is legit, just sayin'.

Haar is your run of the mill pre-promote with decent, but not great stats by the time he joins. RD Haar, on the other hand, joins way earlier and has amazing availability, and the bases he has when he joins at that point make him incredibly useful for the majority of the game.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Welp, I fixed the Eldigan problem and got to Chapter 7.

...Then I realized I think I made the Valkyrie Staff totally worthless. Oops. Oh well, I doubt I'll need it too badly. Hopefully.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I think you're mixing up PoR and RD. Pelleas isn't in PoR, and Rhys is the only Priest/Bishop you get.
Oh, maybe I am getting them mixed up. I thought you got Oscar or whatever the fat, bald guy's name is.

I thought you could get Pelleas in PoR. I guess I must be mixing them up, then :/ it has been many years for me.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I didn't even know Oliver was recruit-able when I was playing Radiant Dawn for the first time, and when I saw how he is recruited.... hilarious! Doesn't Ike ask him to go back if you talk to him?

Still have to finish my hard mode run of Radiant Dawn.

Me and my sister have had some amazing runs with Nephenee, Mia, Rolf, Boyd and Sothe (yea not that useful) fully - all stats- maxing out. Heck, my sister's Sothe maxed out at level 13. Too bad his skill is useless plus his caps are inferior to most other units. Ike is not as OP in RD as in PoR and sadly did not max out, just his STR, SKL and SPD though so main 3 bases covered I guess.

I just have a compulsion to use the Greil mercenaries and Nephenee. In none of my runs have I used a laguz or for the second game, any of the Dawn Brigade. Too bad NA and Europe didn't get the Insane Difficulty for PoR, in that you could hurt Ashnard with the S rank weapons you can get i.e. Vague Katti, Wishblade and that Lightning Tome along with Ragnell. I so wanted to beat that king with Mia or Nephenee.

Never used Haar so I don't understand what's so great about him.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
ike seems to be a bad unit so far

I had to use the first seraph cape on him so he wouldn't die, and his stats are kinda garbage atm (chapter 12). Not sure if I got stat screwed or if this is how he is normally.

Meanwhile Ilyana is solo'ing maps.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

I had to use the first seraph cape on him so he wouldn't die, and his stats are kinda garbage atm (chapter 12). Not sure if I got stat screwed or if this is how he is normally.

Yeah something's up there. What stats is he lacking in?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247

Ike is kinda one of the best units in both games.

Something is wrong.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326

Woah that is kind of abnormal. You must have a horrible Ike for that to happen. He is broken in the first game and really powerful in the 2nd game as well just not quite as powerful as other classes have been buffed up as well.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
help.jpg

I have no hope for this awful unit; or at least I cannot see how this unit is considered better than his RD counterpart (basically 2nd best unit in the game behind Haar, lol)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I haven't looked at his growths or anything but those averages say I'm down 2 points in everything except HP and Magic (lol), 3 points down in Skill and 1 point down in Def.

Ok so it seems like I got screwed, but I still don't see any reason why I should even bother with Ike when I could just dump BEXP into Marcia (or even rolf, lol) and win the game/still be a better unit than Ike.

Or I could just use Titania. lol.

What's fixed mode?

Last edited:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Fixed growth mode is you get your stat average growths.

Your Ike had poor RNG. Its like he's getting ready for brawl.

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I haven't looked at his growths or anything but those averages say I'm down 2 points in everything except HP and Magic (lol), 3 points down in Skill and 1 point down in Def.

Ok so it seems like I got screwed, but I still don't see any reason why I should even bother with Ike when I could just dump BEXP into Marcia (or even rolf, lol) and win the game/still be a better unit than Ike.

Or I could just use Titania. lol.
But roflcopter is an Archer

Yeah TBH how good Ike is gets exaggerated a bit. Still he's better than some lords, that's for sure.

Yeah Titania is amazing. She kept me alive during the early chapters of my FE9 draft (where the only earlygame units I had drafter were Ike and Soren)
What's fixed mode?
It's a mode you get after you beat the game once. Rather that leveling up using RNs, it used growths as "points" of a sort. Once a unit has accumulated 100 points in a stat, they gain a point in that stat when they level.

Let's take Ike. He has a 50% strength growth. So when he reaches level 2, he has 50 points in his strength growth. When he reaches level 3, he has 100 points, so he gains a point of speed.

Characters also usually start with a few points in some stats. For instance, Ike starts with 50 speed points. so even though he has a 55% speed growth, he'd still get a point of speed whn he reaches level 2 since he has 105 points in speed.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
But roflcopter is an Archer

Yeah TBH how good Ike is gets exaggerated a bit. Still he's better than some lords, that's for sure.

Yeah Titania is amazing. She kept me alive during the early chapters of my FE9 draft (where the only earlygame units I had drafter were Ike and Soren)

It's a mode you get after you beat the game once. Rather that leveling up using RNs, it used growths as "points" of a sort. Once a unit has accumulated 100 points in a stat, they gain a point in that stat when they level.

Let's take Ike. He has a 50% strength growth. So when he reaches level 2, he has 50 points in his strength growth. When he reaches level 3, he has 100 points, so he gains a point of speed.

Characters also usually start with a few points in some stats. For instance, Ike starts with 50 speed points. so even though he has a 55% speed growth, he'd still get a point of speed whn he reaches level 2 since he has 105 points in speed.
Although fixed mode has its advantage, sometimes I just love the randomness of the random mode :D

Too bad it worked against me for Illyana in Radiant Dawn.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Although fixed mode has its advantage, sometimes I just love the randomness of the random mode :D

Too bad it worked against me for Illyana in Radiant Dawn.
TBH I prefer it, though sometimes having an RNG blessed unit is fun. Like the speedy Lilinas I keep getting in FE6 for some reason.

Still, fixed mode is a nice option and I wish more FE games had it.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
TBH I prefer it, though sometimes having an RNG blessed unit is fun. Like the speedy Lilinas I keep getting in FE6 for some reason.

Still, fixed mode is a nice option and I wish more FE games had it.
Yea its fun to see a unit blessed by the RNG gods lol. My Nephenee and Rolf had ALL stats maxed out in Radiant Dawn. Now that is amazing :D

I am gone for like a month and have so much to read.
These maps are taking so long. My god. I'm only now starting chapter 3.

It's fun though. Not sure where I'd rank it compared to the rest of the series yet though.
On the bright side there are only ~10 chapters.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I am gone for like a month and have so much to read.

On the bright side there are only ~10 chapters.
Which Fire Emblem game is this? I have yet to play Fire Emblem 11, 12 (remakes of 1 and 2 so same), 3, 4 and 5. Also Awakening.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
So are any other Fire Emblems related by continuity like 11 & 12, 9 & 10 and 7 & 6? I think I am going to try the ones I haven't finished yet after I finish my Golden Sun 1 and 2 playthrough again.

So are any other Fire Emblems related by continuity like 11 & 12, 9 & 10 and 7 & 6? I think I am going to try the ones I haven't finished yet after I finish my Golden Sun 1 and 2 playthrough again.
The relations go like this in the series.

1-2-3
4-5
6-7
9-10
11-12

I say avoid 1 completely lol

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
5 is a sort of side story/ "midquel" to 4.

2 has loose connections to 1/3/11/12, including a few characters appearing in all 5 games. However, the stories are separate and don't have much to do with one another.

Awakening takes place on the same continent as FE1/3/11/12, just many years in the future.

4 and 5's backstory is loosely connected to the backstory of the Akaneia games (FE1/3/11/12)

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Oh ok thanks guys. Will get back into Fire Emblem soon :D

Can't wait to experience some epic Fire Emblem levels. Just Golden Sun 2 go and then my Radiant Dawn hard playthrough.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I've been meaning to play Golden Sun 2 for ages, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Then again, I still need to continue my FE7 draft...I cleared the desert chapter a few days ago, but I have to re-play it because the last enemy killed himself on Dart before I could dig up the buried Hero Crest. >.>

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Golden Sun 2 >> FE
Sorry thread.
Haha I might tend to agree on that. I love my Golden Sun games except Dark Dawn which can easily be "eclipsed" (people who have played the game can get the so called pun) by its predecessors and my favourite Fire Emblem games. Still I would change it to one arrow as I still love the Fire emblem games.

Waiting for Isaac for Smash Bros. 4!

majora_787

Smash Hero
I beat FE4 after the rom bugged way the hell out, made Altena disappear from the map, putting her in my base castle as an enemy unit, and then giving me tons of distorted gibberish. I actually have started moving on to FE12. I'm having slowdown issues but other than that it's fun so far.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I beat FE4 after the rom bugged way the hell out, made Altena disappear from the map, putting her in my base castle as an enemy unit, and then giving me tons of distorted gibberish.
Wow that's weird.

Did you savestate a bunch? Apparently FE4 gets really buggy when you use save states a lot.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Gotta agree. Golden Sun > Fire Emblem. Only barely though. And FE is easier to replay.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
GS has mindless battles of A and heal spam. The summon rushing for bosses. PvP is highly imbalanced with flash/granite/shade alternating spam.

The fun part was using psyergy on the open field and to solve puzzles in dungeons. And how awesome the game and psyergy looked.

Fire emblem is more fun for me as its more challenging.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Wow that's weird.

Did you savestate a bunch? Apparently FE4 gets really buggy when you use save states a lot.
I did. But I save-stated a lot for the entire game. I would think I would've noticed some glitching a little sooner than the last three chapters. o_O But I dunno. I know nothing.

Regardless, I finished the game and even finished my series ranking and that's what matters. Right now I'm more worried about my DS emulator, which is experiencing a lot of slowdown with FE12. But that's better than some other issues I could be having I guess.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I did. But I save-stated a lot for the entire game. I would think I would've noticed some glitching a little sooner than the last three chapters. o_O But I dunno. I know nothing.

Regardless, I finished the game and even finished my series ranking and that's what matters. Right now I'm more worried about my DS emulator, which is experiencing a lot of slowdown with FE12. But that's better than some other issues I could be having I guess.
What DS emu are you using btw?

Last edited:
Top Bottom