• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem: The Discussion Thread (keep FE Fates story under spoilertags)

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well I dunno what else to use. I was recommended by a few people to use desmume for FE12 but if that's not going to work out then I just don't know. :Y

majora_787

Smash Hero
Did you enable the dynamic recompiler under emulation settings?
I tried that just now. I didn't know that was a thing, but just doing the interlude and prep stuff for chapter 1, the game seems to be much more consistently normal. Thanks. :p

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I tried that just now. I didn't know that was a thing, but just doing the interlude and prep stuff for chapter 1, the game seems to be much more consistently normal. Thanks. :p
Yeah I was having speed issues with it before, but enabling that option fixed them.

If you're having issues with sound, I'd try switching to Synchronous sound and messing with the buffer(under sound settings).

FYI: The settings I use:
Dynamic Recompiler : 100
Sound: Synch Method P, Buffer Size 9000

But I'm running Desmume under Wine so that might just be something I have to deal with.

majora_787

Smash Hero
It seemed to mostly be slowdown problems. Should be good to go now.

I'm actually kind of horrified. I looked to see imminent recruitment requirements to watch out for for FE12, and then I scrolled down. Yikes. I don't think I'll be able to use nearly that many characters effectively. xD

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
It seemed to mostly be slowdown problems. Should be good to go now.

I'm actually kind of horrified. I looked to see imminent recruitment requirements to watch out for for FE12, and then I scrolled down. Yikes. I don't think I'll be able to use nearly that many characters effectively. xD
Yeah there's a lot of characters in FE12. Most of them suck though so don't worry.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Advance Wars > Fire Emblem
Hmm Advance Wars although quite similiar is quite a different beast. You are not restricted by the amount of units and involves more strategy regarding resource management whereas Fire Emblem is about picking up the best troops (or just your favourites) and then forming your strategy around them and maximising their potential. Although Advance Wars has not been quite as popular and a new game yet has to come out since Days of Ruin (which I loved :D)

Yeah there's a lot of characters in FE12. Most of them suck though so don't worry.
Most Fire Emblems do that. Many characters but you use only like 12-14. Plus many times it is more of an illusion of a choice since some characters flat out suck or bad choices.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
FE 12 was especially terrible for the reason that every chapter it gave you a horribly underleveled unit that you couldn't use or a prepromote with trash base stats.

You were basically forced to use My Unit, Marth, Catria and Arran only since everyone else was completely USELESS. =P

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
FE 12 was especially terrible for the reason that every chapter it gave you a horribly underleveled unit that you couldn't use or a prepromote with trash base stats.

You were basically forced to use My Unit, Marth, Catria and Arran only since everyone else was completely USELESS. =P
Oh well guess that is what happens when you haven't played a game. I know basically nothing about 12 since I haven't played it and plus it was a Japan exclusive leading to information about it not being as widely available as the other FE games.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Most Fire Emblems do that. Many characters but you use only like 12-14. Plus many times it is more of an illusion of a choice since some characters flat out suck or bad choices.
Yeah I guess that happens in most FE games. Still, FE12 is probably the worst offender since it has 70+ units IIRC, not counting generics.

There are some FE games that avert this. I hear FE5 is pretty well balanced, with things like the crusader scrolls ensuring that pretty much anyone can be useful. FE3 (Book 2) has something similar, plus ridiculous as all hell statboosters.

There are a lot of units in FE12?

I recall there being Marth, Avatar, Gordin, Luke, Rody, Ryan, Caeda, Malliesia, Linde, Palla, Catria, Sirius, Feena, Etzel, Xane, and... Yeah, there is the whole cast, all 15 of them.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
To be fair, you do have the Drill Grounds as well as How's Everyone to help give boosts to weaker units.

In my first run I mostly just used whoever I felt like, though I will admit that it was a dumb design move to have to recruit the four princesses during the Final Chapter. While there's a bit more freedom in this game, it was annoying being forced to more or less use 4 specific characters throughout the entire game in the original just to recruit them.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
i think the worst design choice in FE 12 was that you couldn't play as mage my unit since jeigan would always kill you in the prologue.

its meant to be a training stage ffs, and the only way you can win the chapter is if jeigan misses with his like, 95% accuracy.

it's like... stop. plz.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
In my first run I mostly just used whoever I felt like, though I will admit that it was a dumb design move to have to recruit the four princesses during the Final Chapter. While there's a bit more freedom in this game, it was annoying being forced to more or less use 4 specific characters throughout the entire game in the original just to recruit them.
To be fair(:troll:), in FE3's final chapter you have 15 deployment slots, which is way more than you'll need. you really only need Marth, those 4 units, 3 Regalia users, maybe a dancer, and maybe a healer.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Yeah I guess that happens in most FE games. Still, FE12 is probably the worst offender since it has 70+ units IIRC, not counting generics.

There are some FE games that avert this. I hear FE5 is pretty well balanced, with things like the crusader scrolls ensuring that pretty much anyone can be useful. FE3 (Book 2) has something similar, plus ridiculous as all hell statboosters.
Woah 70 units! That is a lot!

Still I usually pick my favourites pretty quick and use them on re-runs as well. I am pretty biased that way. I have played PoR atleast thrice and my main party has barely changed each time. Same for Radiant Dawn.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Radiant Dawn definitely only boiled down to me using like 5-10 units, I assume FE12 will basically end the same way. It's going to be special. But yeah no, the main story of FE12 has the avatar and 76 other units. And there is a DLC chapter I believe with four more playable units for a total of 80 non-avatar playalble characters to Radiant Dawn's 73.

Unfortunately it looks like Lorenz won't happen. :Y Though I guess Radiant Dawn didn't let you recruit Largo.

EDIT: Also I dunno. The slowdown came back when I actually sat and played a chapter, though it wasn't as bad as before. I may need to find a better emulator.

Last edited:

.Alone

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheRawkHawk
Radiant Dawn definitely only boiled down to me using like 5-10 units, I assume FE12 will basically end the same way. It's going to be special. But yeah no, the main story of FE12 has the avatar and 76 other units. And there is a DLC chapter I believe with four more playable units for a total of 80 non-avatar playalble characters to Radiant Dawn's 73.
I feel like most people only really used a few people in RD, because just about anyone in RD could max out several, if not all of their stats. There wasn't a huge need on using several different units when everyone was able to max HP, STR/MAG, SKL, SPD, and DEF/RES. It seems just about anytime I used a Laguz, Ike, Nephenee, Elincia, and a few others, they will max out everything, sometimes even Luck.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I think they should probably give 60+ or 70+ unit casts a rest. Though I suppose in a game like FE8 or Awakening in which you can conceivably beef up weak units would be okay with that many options. But that's not where they end up happening.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
To be fair(:troll:), in FE3's final chapter you have 15 deployment slots, which is way more than you'll need. you really only need Marth, those 4 units, 3 Regalia users, maybe a dancer, and maybe a healer.
I like most of the characters in the Akaneia series. :p

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yeah I dunno, people have said the Archanea saga has a bad cast, but I've always found myself disagreeing. There was really only even one saga I found to have less than appealing casts, and it wasn't Shadow Dragon, wasn't Awakening, and at this point so far isn't New Mystery.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I feel like most people only really used a few people in RD, because just about anyone in RD could max out several, if not all of their stats. There wasn't a huge need on using several different units when everyone was able to max HP, STR/MAG, SKL, SPD, and DEF/RES. It seems just about anytime I used a Laguz, Ike, Nephenee, Elincia, and a few others, they will max out everything, sometimes even Luck.
I don't know why but I never used a Laguz. Except a heron of course. I just mainly used the Greil Mercenaries + Elincia as she has been buffed pretty significantly statwise compared to Path of Radiance. It is easy to max out several characters due to the triple promotion system but the stat caps haven't been drastically increased. And the way the Bexp works, helps maxing out after you have maxed out 1 or 2.

I remember I always use Ike (compulsory), Mia, Elincia, Nephenee, Boyd, Mist, Rhys, Ilyana, etc.

.Alone

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheRawkHawk
I don't know why but I never used a Laguz. Except a heron of course. I just mainly used the Greil Mercenaries + Elincia as she has been buffed pretty significantly statwise compared to Path of Radiance. It is easy to max out several characters due to the triple promotion system but the stat caps haven't been drastically increased. And the way the Bexp works, helps maxing out after you have maxed out 1 or 2.

I remember I always use Ike (compulsory), Mia, Elincia, Nephenee, Boyd, Mist, Rhys, Ilyana, etc.
I know for a fact that Ranulf can easily cap every stat, as he's the only Laguz I make sure to use every playthrough of PoR and RD. Kurthnaga is easy to cap stats with (just requires some grinding, and at that point of the game it doesn't matter much to begin with) and Janaff if I recall also can cap out stats fairly easily. Never really tried using any other Laguz in that game, save for Lyre, and she is absolutely terrible.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I know for a fact that Ranulf can easily cap every stat, as he's the only Laguz I make sure to use every playthrough of PoR and RD. Kurthnaga is easy to cap stats with (just requires some grinding, and at that point of the game it doesn't matter much to begin with) and Janaff if I recall also can cap out stats fairly easily. Never really tried using any other Laguz in that game, save for Lyre, and she is absolutely terrible.
I have nothing against Laguz just not used to using them at all. So I don't know much about who maxes or not. Especially their slow xp gain plus sometimes annoying cycle. Kurthnaga is compulsory so I usually max him out. I heard that Lyre can become pretty decent.

I just love me party full of the original Greil mercenaries all maxed out through various ways of prioritizing their exp and bonus xp. Too bad Mist's weapon Florete does not deal Magic damage like it should, if it did she would be totally wicked. Still use her though, I am biased towards the siblings.

Last edited:

.Alone

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheRawkHawk
I have nothing against Laguz just not used to using them at all. So I don't know much about who maxes or not. Especially their slow xp gain plus sometimes annoying cycle. Kurthnaga is compulsory so I usually max him out. I heard that Lyre can become pretty decent.

I just love me party full of the original Greil mercenaries all maxed out through various ways of prioritizing their exp and bonus xp. Too bad Mist's weapon Florete does not deal Magic damage like it should, if it did she would be totally wicked. Still use her though, I am biased towards the siblings.
Yeah, it's funny because I actually don't tend to use the GM's at all. I think I used Mist once in PoR out of 5ish playthroughs, and I don't think I've ever used her in RD out of a few runs. Never used Rhys, not a big fan of Ilyana in RD (though I am in PoR), and Oscar I'm on the fence about. Ike, Mia, and Boyd are about my only staples from the Mercs.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'm just saying, you don't need to bring your whole team of regulars into the final chapter with you.
That's why it's annoying. :3

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Yeah, it's funny because I actually don't tend to use the GM's at all. I think I used Mist once in PoR out of 5ish playthroughs, and I don't think I've ever used her in RD out of a few runs. Never used Rhys, not a big fan of Ilyana in RD (though I am in PoR), and Oscar I'm on the fence about. Ike, Mia, and Boyd are about my only staples from the Mercs.
Mist I use mainly because of the brother-sister relationship. Just biased towards her. I have a younger sis myself. So usually max out her strength and hand her the Vague Katti while I give the Alondite to Mia along with Wrath, Gamble and Resolve making her too epic for words. Or Adept instead of Gamble. (Does this all fit? Or did I mix some sets?) Even Ike's left in the dust. This setup would have been way way OP if Resolve still had its STR boost like in PoR. That would have been epic.

Thunder magic has been significantly nerfed in Radiant Dawn going from the strongest of the Anima triad to the weakest plus Illyana's stats are not as great as Soren's. But if you are lucky and raise her properly, heck she still becomes a force to reckon with! And give her a good support and voila, she is still epic just not as much as in PoR. Rolf has become much more deadly though. Heck all stats maxed and unbreakable Double Bow, he almost becomes a tank himself. Swordmasters have also become much better this time around with their stats significantly strengthened.

Oscar is weird. I have had horrible Oscars and awesome Oscars. He still gets left behind before the final battle though since Nephenee (not a mercenary I know) ABSOLUTELY has to be there. Plus I maxed Jill and Boyd and had to go with Boyd due to his identical speed but more strength plus mounted units suffer -2 move penalty indoors anyway.

Sothe is a unit who despite a promotion and despite having max stats remains kind of useless. He is outclassed by the "Fireman" in almost every single way, who sadly might not get a spot due to Sothe's compulsory inclusion.

And mages sorely lack in the final battle due to the main boss' resistance being through the roof (50!!!).

I also think the Laguz kings are overpowered so usually avoid them.

Last edited:

.Alone

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheRawkHawk
Mist I use mainly because of the brother-sister relationship. Just biased towards her. I have a younger sis myself. So usually max out her strength and hand her the Vague Katti while I give the Alondite to Mia along with Wrath, Gamble and Resolve making her too epic for words. Or Adept instead of Gamble. (Does this all fit? Or did I mix some sets?) Even Ike's left in the dust. This setup would have been way way OP if Resolve still had its STR boost like in PoR. That would have been epic.

Thunder magic has been significantly nerfed in Radiant Dawn going from the strongest of the Anima triad to the weakest plus Illyana's stats are not as great as Soren's. But if you are lucky and raise her properly, heck she still becomes a force to reckon with! And give her a good support and voila, she is still epic just not as much as in PoR. Rolf has become much more deadly though. Heck all stats maxed and unbreakable Double Bow, he almost becomes a tank himself. Swordmasters have also become much better this time around with their stats significantly strengthened.

Oscar is weird. I have had horrible Oscars and awesome Oscars. He still gets left behind before the final battle though since Nephenee (not a mercenary I know) ABSOLUTELY has to be there. Plus I maxed Jill and Boyd and had to go with Boyd due to his identical speed but more strength plus mounted units suffer -2 move penalty indoors anyway.

Sothe is a unit who despite a promotion and despite having max stats remains kind of useless. He is outclassed by the "Fireman" in almost every single way, who sadly might not get a spot due to Sothe's compulsory inclusion.

And mages sorely lack in the final battle due to the main boss' resistance being through the roof (50!!!).

I also think the Laguz kings are overpowered so usually avoid them.
Only issue I have with Resolve in RD is the fact that the units are so broken by Endgame, that I was hard pressed to have a unit get below 25% HP or whatever the parameter is. I suppose you would have better luck meeting those parameters on Hard Mode, because HM Radiant Dawn can be a bear, but even then, especially in your case with three healers, and a Heron, I couldn't imagine Resolve activating very often.

And you really liked using the units I used in PoR, but not RD. I thought RD Jill was trash in comparison to Haar, but I was all over Jill in PoR. I also loved Rolf in PoR, but in RD I find myself using Shinon. That man is a beast with the Doublebow, and Deadeye activates just about every battle.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Only issue I have with Resolve in RD is the fact that the units are so broken by Endgame, that I was hard pressed to have a unit get below 25% HP or whatever the parameter is. I suppose you would have better luck meeting those parameters on Hard Mode, because HM Radiant Dawn can be a bear, but even then, especially in your case with three healers, and a Heron, I couldn't imagine Resolve activating very often.

And you really liked using the units I used in PoR, but not RD. I thought RD Jill was trash in comparison to Haar, but I was all over Jill in PoR. I also loved Rolf in PoR, but in RD I find myself using Shinon. That man is a beast with the Doublebow, and Deadeye activates just about every battle.
Yea Resolve has been nerfed in the 2nd game. Well I added these things in the endgame where some units can still take you down to quite a bit of low Hp.

I actually used the same units that I used in PoR in RD as well no matter how much they had been nerfed or in some cases buffed. As I said I am biased that way :D Plus it's fun to take your favourite units and turn them into killing machines even if they were so-so or not that great in the start!

Won't Shinon and Rolf have the same max stats? Cause I find it really easy to max out Rolf who becomes too strong by the end. Too bad the double bow doesn't give an advantage over the boss of Endgame level 3. Otherwise that battle would have been TOO easy.

.Alone

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheRawkHawk
Yea Resolve has been nerfed in the 2nd game. Well I added these things in the endgame where some units can still take you down to quite a bit of low Hp.

I actually used the same units that I used in PoR in RD as well no matter how much they had been nerfed or in some cases buffed. As I said I am biased that way :D Plus it's fun to take your favourite units and turn them into killing machines even if they were so-so or not that great in the start!

Won't Shinon and Rolf have the same max stats? Cause I find it really easy to max out Rolf who becomes too strong by the end. Too bad the double bow doesn't give an advantage over the boss of Endgame level 3. Otherwise that battle would have been TOO easy.
Some people I liked in PoR, but I couldn't use them because they were terrible. Haar was absolute garbage in that game. Shinon was garbage. So after a run at the game, I decided to pick "better" characters. That was my same approach to RD. There are a few characters that I will use no matter what (Stefan and Ranulf, namely), just as you have your Mercs. It would seem that you just have many more units you are committed to using than I do. :p

And I'm sure they do have the same stat caps, I've never gotten Rolf past an early stage Marksman in RD.

Have you ever used Gatrie in RD? It's hilarious how he can double Swordmasters in Part 4 if you have him promoted to a Marshall.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Ilyana I still think is one of the best mages in RD for draft since shes in pretty much every chapter.
Yup. Plus she can carry over items from Micaiah's team to Ike's team! Especially if you need that "Hammer! (Mario Style)" to beat that punk Black Knight.

Some people I liked in PoR, but I couldn't use them because they were terrible. Haar was absolute garbage in that game. Shinon was garbage. So after a run at the game, I decided to pick "better" characters. That was my same approach to RD. There are a few characters that I will use no matter what (Stefan and Ranulf, namely), just as you have your Mercs. It would seem that you just have many more units you are committed to using than I do. :p

And I'm sure they do have the same stat caps, I've never gotten Rolf past an early stage Marksman in RD.

Have you ever used Gatrie in RD? It's hilarious how he can double Swordmasters in Part 4 if you have him promoted to a Marshall.
Actually to be honest although Gatrie and Shinon are part of the mercs, they leave early in PoR causing me not to be attached to 'em as the rest of the mercenaries. I use Brom and Nephenee together who you don't get too later on. And oh my, Brom is tough to train. But still worth it if you try hard enough.

So no to the Gatrie question. My Brom was never able to double and he mad max speed. Plus at the final boss only two people were capable of doubling. Mia and Ike.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Yusssss it's the weekend and now I can play FE 9 forever

(or until the weekend ends)

Up to chapter 17 and the characters I'm using are:

Ike
Ilyana
Rhys
Jill
Kieran
Marcia
Titania
Muarim
Volke
Boyd

I wanted to use Astrid but she sucks and this is difficult mode and lol bows.

I love Boyd

.Alone

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheRawkHawk
Yusssss it's the weekend and now I can play FE 9 forever

(or until the weekend ends)

Up to chapter 17 and the characters I'm using are:

Ike
Ilyana
Rhys
Jill
Kieran
Marcia
Titania
Muarim
Volke
Boyd

I wanted to use Astrid but she sucks and this is difficult mode and lol bows.

I love Boyd
No love for Zihark or Mia? They are both beasts. I assume difficult mode you mean hard? Have fun in the final chapter :p

.Alone

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheRawkHawk
If Fire Emblem had its own subforum, I would make a poll, but I guess I will just need to ask here.

If a showdown ever occurred between Boyd, Hector, and the Vaike, who would come out alive my fellow FE fans?

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
No love for Zihark or Mia? They are both beasts. I assume difficult mode you mean hard? Have fun in the final chapter :p
Mia is way too hard to use, i got sick of doing only like, 3 damage to enemies. I recruited Stefan and he had higher stats than Mia by a long shot. If I need a swordmaster then I'll consider using him.

Difficult mode is... weird. I beat FE 12 without losing a single unit, so FE 9 should be a piece of cake.

I hope.

If Fire Emblem had its own subforum, I would make a poll, but I guess I will just need to ask here.

If a showdown ever occurred between Boyd, Hector, and the Vaike, who would come out alive my fellow FE fans?
Boyd, only because Vaike is gross.

Edit: Realistically Hector probably would.

Last edited:

.Alone

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheRawkHawk
Mia is way too hard to use, i got sick of doing only like, 3 damage to enemies. I recruited Stefan and he had higher stats than Mia by a long shot. If I need a swordmaster then I'll consider using him.

Difficult mode is... weird. I beat FE 12 without losing a single unit, so FE 9 should be a piece of cake.

I hope.
Well, the final chapter will give you a nice surprise, especially if you've ever beaten the game on an easier difficulty.

Mia starts out terrible, but she has (arguably) the best stat growth for a Swordmaster in the game. It's a toss-up between her and Zihark.

Top Bottom