• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FinOlimar Q&A Thread! (Check OP before posting)

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
how do you DI out of MK's tornado upwards?

how do you use whistle while stuck in tornado as shown in the video of that japanese player?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Okay so I was messing around with Olimar against a CPU jiggly (was extremely bored) and I noticed (I think it was after the jiggly used pound on me), when I tried doing grab/fsmash/etc., pikmin didn't come out, and he couldn't grab/attack with pikmin. Is this already known?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
It was possibly ghost pikmin, a glitch that has messed up a lot of us in the past. It has to do with the game thinking that there's a pikmin there when there actually isn't, leaving a blank space in the line of a pikmin that can't be used. And since it can't be used, it stays in the front of the line, preventing you from using any attacks. There are two ways to cure it. The first one, being temporary, is to whistle, so that the pikmin is not in the front of line, allowing you to attack with the other pikmin until it comes back to the front. The other, is to go to the area that the pikmin got ghosted (normally near a ledge) and using an attack while the ghosted pikmin is in the front of the line. There have been videos of people recreating ghost pikmin at will and curing it, and it's not that hard to do if you know how to do it, but I'll leave the conversation at that for now.

TL;DR
Pikmin are really glitchy and dumb

Fino

Smash Master
Okay so I was messing around with Olimar against a CPU jiggly (was extremely bored) and I noticed (I think it was after the jiggly used pound on me), when I tried doing grab/fsmash/etc., pikmin didn't come out, and he couldn't grab/attack with pikmin. Is this already known?
yeah, jiggs pound has an 80% chance of doing this... it's why jiggs has the advantage in the MU ;o

Tin Man

Smash Hero
how do you DI out of MK's tornado upwards?

how do you use whistle while stuck in tornado as shown in the video of that japanese player?
link the video plz, also castle seige seems like it really helps only on phase 2, I would thing FD is better in some cases like vs MK and wario, etc, stage 1 is 2 small, and un even terrain is :urg: so there goes stage 3

wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut~
lololololololol, dont beleive that :p, its a joke

@ BOB, take anyone to Halberd, some others also benefit from it, but then that wouldnt make a difference cause even on neutrals, if they kill vertically, what can u do, so use halberd on anyone

Fino

Smash Master
You can probably just hit whistle at any time dabuz, which bring to question what other multihit moves can we whistle out of?
If we can whistle out of the nado, we can whistle out of our own nair (since it hits at the exact same interval)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Only it doesn't have as many hits. If Olimar's n-air knocked the opponent up and out of the tornado, then Olimar WOULD be able to do it to himself.

Basically, if the MK player moves the tornado incorrectly you can get out near the end after it has already sucked you into it. Same deal with Marth's upb.

Denti

Smash Master
get ready for my diddy kong questions!

what are good CPs against diddy kong? i generally did halberd is that okay?

what are good follow ups when OLi throws a bannana and diddy slips?

does his bananas limit oli's grab game?

what pikmin types are useful?

and finally, does oli have any useful glide tosses what so ever?

please answer all of those. it would make me happy, i have a torney coming up soon and i'd like to sparkle a few MUs im not so strong in. AiB's diddys have been knocking my rank down senselessly :(((((

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Questions!

1) How good is olimar's dacus (i'm pretty sure it has enough slide to make a difference, but is it usefull)?

2) What is the best character to secondary with olimar? (not including metaknight or snake please)

3) which pikmin has the most usefull grab at low percents?

Noa.

Smash Master
Good CPs against Diddy would be halberd and lylat.

Grab usualy follows up from a banana. Fsmash and usmash too sometimes. At times Ill jump over Diddy and throw the banana down near him, and then I land and dsmash. U don't think it's really a safe tactic, but I do it occasionally.

Grabs can be very risky to use since bananas go through them. Just be more conscious about using them.

Purples and yellow are the best pikmin. Especially since they can can confuse Diddy with bananas you throw.

You can do jump cancleled tosses instead of a glide toss.

I'll answer you questions later Zeni if no one else does.

Llumys

Smash Champion
Questions!

1) How good is olimar's dacus (i'm pretty sure it has enough slide to make a difference, but is it usefull)?

2) What is the best character to secondary with olimar? (not including metaknight or snake please)

3) which pikmin has the most usefull grab at low percents?
1) It's worth using if you can perform it consistently.

2) Marth.

3) White and blue.

Denti

Smash Master
so lately i've been having some issues with the snake MU.

When Oli is coming from the air to land back on the stage i've noticed snake has all the needed options to hurt oli. if i land in front or right behind snake i get grabed, if i land slightly in front of him i get F tilted, and if i land further than that he DACUSs. when I air dodge and land on the stage there is a small moment in frame work where oli can get hurt and if a snake times it just right every time there is almost nothing i can do.

what are my best options?

edit: up tilt owns me too, forgot to put that in the list as well. whistling isn't going to solve my F tilt problem or my being grabbed problem. but it can solve the dacus problem, if i always land far away with whistle he will catch on and punish me in worse ways. i understand this much, so someone help me out here

Tin Man

Smash Hero
i'm pretty sure if ur far away, and u has the right pikmin, u can fair him when he DACUS's u

@DABUZ, i'll have to actually try whistling the tornado myself before I could put any more input to it being a viable option.

Asa

Smash Hero
how does one handle the kirby matchup?
I can't grab him

and i get taken to gimp city

also is it possible to whistle both hits of snakes ftilt?

Noa.

Smash Master
Kirby
-Grabs are really good. Especially pivots against his Bair.*
-No approaching. Force an approach. *
-A dair on shield will be followed up by an utilt.*
-Shielding is pretty safe at high percents when expecting fsmash.*

Llumys

Smash Champion
Pivot grabbing is amazing against Kirby.

Whistle bouncing is just like bouncing any other aerial. To do a standard bounce, drift forward, whistle, and immediately press back.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's the term we've coined for b-reversing it. Do it the same way you'd b-reverse Snake's c4.

You'll know you've done it when your momentum sharply switches directions.

~Amaterasu~

Smash Apprentice
i was talking to one of the olis on msn. he told me that none of kirby's aerials are safe on block
that mean we can just shield grab him the entire match? cuz i tried it and it seems to work but i cant say i have played good kirbehs~
(9'-')9

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm pretty dang sure a retreating+falling/rising b-air is safe on block. (It takes about 20 frames for a red/white pikmin to reach max distance) Rolling afterwards would most likely avoid the grab, methinks.

If vertically spaced and timed perfectly, I bet his d-air could be safe ON BLOCK as well, but you shouldn't ever have to worry about that happening, all things considered, ha.

Denti

Smash Master
It's the term we've coined for b-reversing it. Do it the same way you'd b-reverse Snake's c4.

You'll know you've done it when your momentum sharply switches directions.
I get that, B reversal lol. i just didnt know the term for whistle bounce. i'll test this out, thx Llumys tin man and dangr

post!: so i have another couple of questions. what are good CPs against falco, i have been taking him to lylat lately and its not a bad choice just i was wondering if there as a better one.

next question! okay this has happened twice, i have pikmin tethered and was edge guarded. I was slightly above them a little away from the stage and i do the animation where i flip upside down and as i passed them holding the edge it hit them and slammed them into the stage and they died. this happen to anyone before? i wasn't guna say anything but its happened twice within the week now and curiosity is consuming me

Denti

Smash Master
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

That happened to me at my last tourney, simply the stage carries you off the top of the stage making u die, if ur standing at the right part of the far left side of the stage. Happened to ally as well when he was playing vex
how could i use it for my ADV? mind games or do it on command.

Sorto

Smash Journeyman
i have heard it said along time ago that olimar would be top tier if he had a good recovery. its more of an opinion question and i would like a few answers. but seeing the current metagame and predicting the future metagame, what are your current feelings about the above statement. Do you believe if olimar had a good recovery, one that was very hard to gimp and traveled very far, think pikachu, would he be top tier? And what do u believe his position would be numerically? Also what are peoples feelings about the metaknight matchup, because i have heard a variety of answers. Percentages would be a good answer.

Fino

Smash Master
i have heard it said along time ago that olimar would be top tier if he had a good recovery. its more of an opinion question and i would like a few answers. but seeing the current metagame and predicting the future metagame, what are your current feelings about the above statement. Do you believe if olimar had a good recovery, one that was very hard to gimp and traveled very far, think pikachu, would he be top tier? And what do u believe his position would be numerically? Also what are peoples feelings about the metaknight matchup, because i have heard a variety of answers. Percentages would be a good answer.
If all of olimar's costumes had pink shoes, and olimar had any type of priority on his pikmin moves (or grab armor) he would be top tier... or relatively close. If he had both, he definitely would be.
Recovery isn't as bad, having a good one wouldn't help TOO much other than giving new options to get back on stage. Good olimars rarely get gimped nowadays (actually been that way for awhile, lol).

Noa.

Smash Master
Adding a good recovery would make Oli top of high tier, but he can't break into top tier without good priority.

Recently, more and more Olis feel more positive about the mk matchup. Most of us certainly don't consider it unwinnable. It may in fact be improving even more.

Top Bottom