• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FinOlimar Q&A Thread! (Check OP before posting)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
If Olimar had priority he'd be broke.

That said, I really want a good gtfo move, some sort of... you know... recovery, and faster falling speed.

Sorto

Smash Journeyman
Idk if its known, it probably is, but I just noticed it while I was playing around with Olimar. If your dashing and let go of the control stick and click b, you will instantly cancel your dash animation and turn into a pickmin pluck animation (no inbetween slow down to stop animation). You can cancel dashes with B moves but not A moves, besides upsmash and dash attack. If you have 5 or less pikmin, the pluck animation is insanely short and can be cancelled with a smash/standing grab/jab or anything you want. If done correcly, it allows you to do almost any attack out of a dash. Like dashing down smashes and such for kills. Or dashing retreating foward smashes for spacing.

Dash>Pikmin Pluck (5 or less pikimin)>any attack instantly
*Its much quicker then dash and letting the dash animation cancel so you can use an attack.

It looks really cool, and if a dashing downsmash or foward smash is spaced right, it is very hard to punish.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I cancel my dashes with plucks a lot and use it to mix up my game. Not sure if Fino still does it much anymore.

I'm trying to decide how much better it is than shielding (if it is).

Fino

Smash Master
I ***** the **** out of pluck cancelling to the point where it's an issue for me haha. I've become reliant on a few things, but here's the breakdown.
(1) utilizing pluck cancelling to keep continuous movement/speed and fluidity
(2) heavy use on pikmin toss
(3) be continuously aware of which pikmin are where, and how many I have

While 1 helps me a TON when playing opponents, the draw back is only having 6 pikmin. To compensate for this I do 2 in hopes that my opponent will kill my pikmin so that I can keep pluck cancelling to hold my momentum. The issue with this being is some characters have moves that send pikmin away, but don't kill them. To solve this I have 3, in which case I have to understand when my opponent is purposely trying to defect this strategy by intentionally not killing them.

So much extra stress @.@

I'll try to get some vids up of me later, maybe this weekend at hot dickings

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Can i have a full explanation of QCDI. I have an idea of what it is but i cant seem to get out of the falco chaingrab.

Denti

Smash Master
falco chain grab eats me alive so badly too. sometimes i feel like im way to far out off the stage to QSDI, is that possible? like sometimes i'm close enough to QSDI back onto the stage but sometimes it seems like it is impossible and I'm way too far out. :dizzy:

Asa

Smash Hero
falco chain grab eats me alive so badly too. sometimes i feel like im way to far out off the stage to QSDI, is that possible? like sometimes i'm close enough to QSDI back onto the stage but sometimes it seems like it is impossible and I'm way too far out. :dizzy:
I think you can always DI it into the stage
You could try whistling it though if you feel you can't DI it

when you land a grab with the white pikmin

do you pummel till they break out or do you pummel a few times then throw?

Fino

Smash Master
when you land a grab with the white pikmin

do you pummel till they break out or do you pummel a few times then throw?
Both, it's a rather simple strategy. Pummel till you start to see/hear them mash. They're right next to you, and the game is moving slow enough and you have plenty of time to do this. A lot of people don't bother to mash out of olimar's grabs because he normally just throws people to "combo"
It's free damage + move re-freshening. Try to pummel at least once if you're just racking damage with grabs ect

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
don't fastfall, dair at the start of a jump, dair really high up

honestly, olimar just doesn't have an easy time recovering after his dair regardless, just remember to save the second jump or better yet, don't risk it :3

Denti

Smash Master
so i'm trying to broaden my horizon of CPs. Here is a list of places ive realized i overlook and never CP.

castle siege.

Pokemon stadium 2.

Distant Planet.

Jungle japes.

Frigate.

Pictochat

so my question is, out of these stages are any good for olimar on certain MUs? and explain in detail please, i wont understand why if its just a yes or no. I would really like to get a lot of feedback on this if possible :)

(btw im really certain now that i think about it that ICs would be horrible on ps2, since every transformation but 1 would interfere with their CG and their defenses.) opinion on ps2 IC vs olimar?

napZzz

Smash Hero
Last time we played you mentioned something about olimars grab priority and how its ****ty. I dont understand that and explain it to me, even though you hate me plz :3

like how do I beat his grabs and get by them (as snake). Is there anything i can do to beat that?

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Can i have a full explanation of QCDI. I have an idea of what it is but i cant seem to get out of the falco chaingrab.
ask swordgard, he wrote the guide on DI

If I throw a Blue Pikmin at Squirtle while he is doing his Up+B, will he get gimped?
lol no, i wish :chuckle:

so i'm trying to broaden my horizon of CPs. Here is a list of places ive realized i overlook and never CP.

castle siege.

Pokemon stadium 2.

Distant Planet.

Jungle japes.

Frigate.

Pictochat

so my question is, out of these stages are any good for olimar on certain MUs? and explain in detail please, i wont understand why if its just a yes or no. I would really like to get a lot of feedback on this if possible :)

(btw im really certain now that i think about it that ICs would be horrible on ps2, since every transformation but 1 would interfere with their CG and their defenses.) opinion on ps2 IC vs olimar?
I'll tell u what I can help u with.

Castle seige, at 1st I didnt realize why Dabuz liked this, but now I'm starting to like it more and more (even if it may be for different reasons then Dabuz)

CS's stage 1 Imo is subpar. Its small :(, the platforms help with juggling however, but its small :(. Stage 2 is sex (apart from the high sealing). No gimps :bee:. Stage 3 is long enough, I dont dig the stage tilts to much, but it aint so bad. Stage 3 is really gud overall.

Frigate is ****. On the startup, u either start on the platform which makes u lose space when u drop down, or u start on the right which puts u at a disadvantage as well cause of the right side having no edge.

Japes has high sealing :(, and if u get in the water, ur pikmin are ****ed, and ur pretty much gimped, Bthrow with blues, and Fairs are the best ways to kill here. Camping on the platforms on the sides is pretty legit though.

Denti

Smash Master
okay so what characters would olimar take to castle siege and jungle japes? i mean... i know the stages and their blastzones and how to play on them.. lol. I was curious what characters would olimar CP there and why.

and anything else about pictochat, lylat cruise and brinstar?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
If you're wanting detailed explanations for each of the stages and the characters you should take there, I suggest you wait until we discuss them in the Stage Thread. Not going to do a write up in here and then do it again in there, sorry.

Denti

Smash Master
for snake a couple of nifty things you might wana know is

-up throw wont make their grenade explode if its right at your feet.
-pummel will detonate the grenade if it is right at your feet, so watch for that.
-his F tilt beats every F smash we have if spaced perfect, so don't rely on your F smashes to always work
-avoid SV
-nothing you have beats his Nair, so punish after his nair not during it
-generally expect snakes to always use their up special way before the ledge because they are afraid of your spike, so punish their fear of that accordingly with Uair, up special, and fair.
-snakes Bair beats all of our up smashes, they try to get that with olimar all the time. pivot grab their falling Bairs.

that's all i can think of at this second, anything else you have specifically about the MU that i could help you with?

edit: so i misread your question XD i apologies, its somewhere in the MU thread.

Jane

Smash Hero
Do you guys use the c stick more or the a button for smashes/aerials?

I find that, when playing as olimar, I use the c stick almost all the time cept when I nair or tilt or something. But any other character I use the a button more. Which do you guys use more regularly and why? And does it even matter?

Also, dtilt - should i use it?

Denti

Smash Master

I find that, when playing as olimar, I use the c stick almost all the time cept when I nair or tilt or something. But any other character I use the a button more. Which do you guys use more regularly and why? And does it even matter?

It's just whatever you prefer imo. for aerials the C stick allows you to retreat Fair easier, and lots of other things are easier in the air as well.

and yes use down tilt. it's hard to find relevance for down tilt but the best time to use down tilt is when an opponent is landing right in front of you, just down tilt and you guarantee the hit on them back up into the air.

Noa.

Smash Master
Here Amateratsu, Snake advice

Snake: Even
- Stay out of ftilt range!
-When Snake yells out "Now" always shield unless you are POSITIVE that it's not near you.
-Do not short hop camp or he will mortarslide you when you land.
-When Snake dthrows you, just lie there at low percents and SDI the ftilt.
-When camping, watch carefully for when Snake stops throwing grenades and is facing toward you. He may be getting ready to mortarslide or dash attack.
-Do not get desperate for a KO, even when you're a stock down. You can rack Snake's damage quickly.
-When you get a grab on Snake, dthrow him and grab him again when he lands. Use dash grabs, pivot grabs, and normal grabs. Shieldgrab when you predict an aerial.
-After Snake has 70% damage, do not use usmash. It needs to be fresh to kill.
-Never get comfortable around Snake. You are never truly safe against Snake.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Too add on to the snake advice remember you can grab snake out of his dacus. When your camping snake don't be too far away stay at mid range. Because the range of the grenades are larger than our pikmin throw we'll get outcamped. To avoid grenades you don't have to always have to jump around. This is risky because he can easily DA or motor slide when u land. Just learn the timing of when the grenades will blow up. Keep camping in the meantime and just shield or spotdodge when it's gonna explode.

Tin Man

Smash Hero

Yeah, use Dtilt, it has gud setups. There is a combo thread somewhere, but iunno where it is.

Use Cstick for all arials and smashes (except Nair lol)

Denti

Smash Master
whats foxtrotting?

edit: okay, could someone throw me oli vs TL tips? all i know is when a pikmin is on him he can throw bombs. do i have to camp to win? any tips will do, i uber lack experience in this MU.

DZhou

Smash Journeyman
How do I deal w/ tornado? If MK tries to tornado from far away, it's easy enough to grab/pivot grab. But, tornado is a nightmare close up. :(

Tin Man

Smash Hero
How do I deal w/ tornado? If MK tries to tornado from far away, it's easy enough to grab/pivot grab. But, tornado is a nightmare close up. :(
everything that goes through tornado (to date)

any pikmin grab or pivot grab (don't care :/)
yellow fsmash at the bottom
purple pikmin toss at the top
Nair the top
Dair the top
Fair/Bair the top (I doubt it though :/)
I love using UpB on it. It can be sent out on reaction 8D. Just make sure that the angle is correct. I have a hard time when MK is in the air, planking beneath my UpB range (I gotta work on that :/)

Zori

Smash Champion
everything that goes through tornado (to date)

any pikmin grab or pivot grab (don't care :/)
yellow fsmash at the bottom
purple pikmin toss at the top
Nair the top
Dair the top
Fair/Bair the top (I doubt it though :/)
I love using UpB on it. It can be sent out on reaction 8D. Just make sure that the angle is correct. I have a hard time when MK is in the air, planking beneath my UpB range (I gotta work on that :/)

or you can L+R+A+Start

JRob

Smash Cadet
He already mentioned grabbing... Though do you use the start button for taunting? I prefer the C-stick. o;

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Dabuz wrote a whole crapload about Meta, including a bit about Tornado. Matchup thread, page 12.

You left out the best part, Tin Man.
"Shield, then punish"

Top Bottom