• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FinOlimar Q&A Thread! (Check OP before posting)

IcyLight

Smash Lord
Was I complaining about nado in this thread too? lmao

Really great advice, thank you every one. I tend to overlook basic things like this in exchange for more abstract theories and so every now and then I get ***** by stupid stuff.

What is QCDI?

Edit: Icy, I'm halfway thru that vid of you vs fatal, good stuff so far. You successfully upBed a lot of those nados... did you do that off reaction or prediction, or some mixtur of the 2? I'm starting to wonder if it might not be a bad idea to do a LOT of waiting in this matchup...

Edit 2: holy heck Icy that was clutch!! I got mad at you for not whistling your purples back when they landed in the water though lol :p I don't think I've ever really watched you intently before, I like your playstyle.

:X thanks i guess

my whole play style is based off reaction, i rarely predict and rarely try to, it's a smarter overall playstyle but harder to get used to. eventually you can pshield everything and do quick reaction tethers like i do. i prefer this over predicting a lot, because predicting says you know what your opponent is gonna do next, i'd rather be right every time rather than guess for a lot of my follow ups and hope they do what i expect

only time i use prediction is with some pseudo combos, or for instance against snake at low % i bthrow off stage and they ALWAYS jump so i instinctively jump and fair, fair again, and dj spike. ken combo is too good against snake, guaranteed stock if you can land it.

QCDI = quarter circle di, it's how you land on the stage every time falco/ic's try to cg spike or nana spike, you always land on the stage. basically spam quarter circle in the direction you want to di, and it will input multiple di commands based off the 16 axis' (smash di with 1 stick) basically

RichBrown

Smash Master
A nice little mindgame with snake offstage: 1st bthrow them off the ledge. If they are roughly past 10% or so you can Fsmash and they almost always jump into it, setting up for anything. If they are at 0% and you think they can still jump-airdodge back onto the stage, just wait for it, grab them and throw them off, THEN Fsmash.

Oh wowww I didn't know that. What I normally do is double tap DI, where I just smack both sticks towards the stage. So QCDI is more effective?

And yeah I guess I just gotta start reacting quicker >.<

IcyLight

Smash Lord
Thought they disproved QCDI in brawl.

~Fino
maybe, but it still helps you get the most accurate DI. i use it against falco, and i QCDI a lot of thing, it seems to work

uhhh, rich brown, double stick di is sort of the same thing, but i QCDI + right stick di as well, qcdi just makes it more efficient / quicker i guess

oh, and when you fsmash them, i tend to jump as they jump and ken combo, better imo. or if they expect it they jump nair and i charge a usmash xD, either works though, i may try yours though, throw off fsmash regrab do it again

Turazrok

Smash Master
How do I get people outta my face? Whenever people get inside F-smash range I get the % beat out of me.

Noa.

Smash Master
Jabs, and tilts. Dtilt works surprisingly well. It's really awkward spacing since your hurtbox greatly changes and you're also traveling. It has great priority and juggles opponents nicely at low percents.

Denti

Smash Master
I have a question. I'm having trouble with the pikachu MU. idk specific questions but could someone give me a philosophy or idea for an olimar main's approach on the MU. also what stages would an oli take a pikachu? how useful are the yellows exactly? all basic knowledge really, i barley know anything about this MU and i just hate getting 2 stocked and not knowing how to approach or anything.. this MU doesn't come natural to me :( sadness

Llumys

Smash Champion
I can't think of anything special to say about this match-up. I think it's fairly simple and should be approached somewhat normally.

Is there anything specific you're having trouble with?

Also, I suggest watching videos of top Pikachu mains such as Anther in order to understand the character.

Denti

Smash Master
I played a top pikachu from texas, at least he said he was. He told me to watch out only for top pikachus and that the others werent guna be toruble for me LOL. i dont remember his name though, he just went by pikachu. what i have trouble with is how should i deal with his aerials and his neutral B. should i run away or? it seems his Fair and Nair are very good priority. what stages do you take him to Llumys?

Llumys

Smash Champion
His aerials can be taken care of easily with your grab game, and his projectile isn't a problem. We can out-camp him, especially if you manage to land a yellow latch on him.

I just take him to standard stages. Halberd! :)

Llumys

Smash Champion
In all seriousness, it's because none of us have proven skilled enough. I'm surprised dabuz isn't a member, though.

Olimar mains don't place in skilled regions.

We suck, honestly. xD

Noa.

Smash Master
To get into the SBR, you have to be uber good or uber smart. You also have to prove one of those things by going to tournaments or posting a lot in important threads.

Fino

Smash Master
To get into the SBR, you have to be uber good or uber smart. You also have to prove one of those things by going to tournaments or posting a lot in important threads.
*looks at overswarm*

Hmmm.... but there ARE exceptions. Perhaps they can make another and get a olimar in there, lol.
I remember the last two times an olimar was up for being put in the sbr, all the other members here told other sbr members not to let that person in. Good job.

~Fino

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
In all seriousness, it's because none of us have proven skilled enough. I'm surprised dabuz isn't a member, though.

Olimar mains don't place in skilled regions.

We suck, honestly. xD
because i don't get to play offline a lot and i don't even try to anymore

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Y isnt richbrown in there? He places well and knows what he's talking about. Doesn't he?

Anyway, that's pretty gay. We'll need to "STEP IT UP"

Fino

Smash Master
Dabuz should not be on the SBR lol
SBR Member: So, let's ask our one olimar how the oli-snake MU is...
Dabuz: Z0mG T3HZ $N@k333Z C@nZ H@Z T3HZ 0-D3@ThZ !nF!N!T3Z w!THZ 1 FR@m3Z R3@Ct!0NZ. TRUST M3 ! PL@Y W1f! @ND @M 10 YR$ 0LD
SBR Memeber: That's interesting... what do the snake mains think?
Typical dumb *** snake main: Yup
*olimar moves to fox tier*

~Fino

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Dabuz should not be on the SBR lol
SBR Member: So, let's ask our one olimar how the oli-snake MU is...
Dabuz: Z0mG T3HZ $N@k333Z C@nZ H@Z T3HZ 0-D3@ThZ !nF!N!T3Z w!THZ 1 FR@m3Z R3@Ct!0NZ. TRUST M3 ! PL@Y W1f! @ND @M 10 YR$ 0LD
SBR Memeber: That's interesting... what do the snake mains think?
Typical dumb *** snake main: Yup
*olimar moves to fox tier*

~Fino
fino, just cause your region fails hard and has no decent snake mains does not mean its an ignorable fact, fight snake mains that can do it(c@ndy, @lly) because its still another trick to can employ regardless of how ridiculous it sounds, BTW, im only referring to it because of offline, online it doesn't matter for obvious reasons

also, i shouldn't be in the SBR because i don't want to be in it regardless

Llumys

Smash Champion
Does it ever occur to anybody that it's possible to search name variations such as "@lly"?

Anyway, doesn't Ganon have an infinite chain-choke on us? xD

Fino

Smash Master
fino, just cause your region fails hard and has no decent snake mains does not mean its an ignorable fact, fight snake mains that can do it(c@ndy, @lly) because its still another trick to can employ regardless of how ridiculous it sounds, BTW, im only referring to it because of offline, online it doesn't matter for obvious reasons

also, i shouldn't be in the SBR because i don't want to be in it regardless
I guess ratman and razor don't count. Lol
Also, neither does any other snake main I've played.... ever

~Fino

Turazrok

Smash Master
A samus main told me olimar was gay and spammy. Tell me it's not true!
(lol zair)

Paladin77

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I have a tournament thats about to start. It's different than a usual tournament, and you should check it out.

Anyways, To the point.
In the tournament there are 'minibosses' that are played by other people.
I need an Olimar player for one of these minibosses
If you main Olimar, or you're just pro as him, please be sure to visit the tournament- http://www.smashboards.com/showthrea...=258165&page=3 -, and check it out.

(I made a thread for this, but a mod said i should post it here)

Oh, lol. I just got rick rolled for shyguy canceling :/

Fino

Smash Master
us olimars are extremely mean and therefore when fino posts you will get flamed alot because your post involves wifi, K?:laugh:
He's trying to do something productive, and not spamming scrub like most people do when they come here. I have no reason to flame him.

I would probably help, but I hate wifi. Sorry =/

~Fino

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Hello Olimars :). Im a TL main that recently has had trouble in tourney with snake. Which made me think of possible secondaries for that gay character. Olimar seemed like a good choice. I want to know, what is Olimar's metagame? Im completely new to Olimar (not the game dont mistake me for a noob lmfao). I'd also appreciate Snake MU tips.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Hello Olimars :). Im a TL main that recently has had trouble in tourney with snake. Which made me think of possible secondaries for that gay character. Olimar seemed like a good choice. I want to know, what is Olimar's metagame? Im completely new to Olimar (not the game dont mistake me for a noob lmfao). I'd also appreciate Snake MU tips.
Camp. Run away and camp. Pivot grab if necessary. Did I miss something? Oh yeah, Blue glove is gay.

Fino

Smash Master
Camp. Run away and camp. Pivot grab if necessary. Did I miss something? Oh yeah, Blue glove is gay.
We should put this kid in the sbr over dabuz. lmao
I love you already XD

Hello Olimars :). Im a TL main... Which made me... gay. I want to Snake U
*fixed*
TL is gay, you should probably just pick up a new main altogether.

~Fino

Top Bottom