• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Fantasy IX Mafia | Game over! | Who won? :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
The set-up

Town:

Seikend - Cinna, Vanilla Townie
Panta - Prof. Tot, Vanilla Townie
Tandora - Baku, Vanilla Townie
SangfroidWarrior - Stilzkin, Vanilla Townie
JTB - Eiko, Innocent Child
Red Ryu - Vivi, Town Voteblocker
Acrostic - Zidane, Town Cop
Traveling Cat - Amarant, Town Doc/Bodyguard
Hilt - Garnet, Town Vigilante

Mafia:

J - Black Waltz, Mafia Roleblocker
Nicholas - Brahne, Mafia Executioner
Ryker - Kuja, Mafia Godfather

Indy:

July & Kuz - Thorn & Thorn, Independent Siblings [July was unlynchable, kuz was BP]

Notes:

Throughout the game I felt like the set-up was well balanced, maybe slightly in town's favor but that never carried any weight the way this game played out. The Executioner - Voteblocker - Unlynchable axis was an integral part of this set-up but with Red Ryu lynched so early it never played out the way I was hoping it would. This also holds true for the Vig - Unlynchable combo. I was also hoping for a more climatic endgame, especially since Day 5 had a 2 v 2 v 2 situation but the Day phase ended so quickly that yet another opportunity for epicness got lost. I realize now that a set-up where multiple power roles exist need to be played very well from all sides and this simply wasn't the case in this set up. I will elaborate when I make notes on players but it should be painfully obvious that the weak play of the town took away a lot from what could've been - in my opinion - a much more exciting game. I'm still satisfied because I know I did a good job :)

:059:

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Will you be posting the QTs Gheb or leaving it up to the players to decide whether to?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
This game was marked by exceedingly weak town play - I don't even know where to start with where the town made downright awful decisions. In general, it seemed like nobody in this was able to lead this town in the right direction. Tom would've been a good candidate to do that but his quick drop-out inevitably changed things. Kuz and J controlled most of the early game and could push the flow of the game in any direction they felt like - and once again a lot of townies proved themselves to be tools and followed them. It was incredibly saddening to see how the few townies that made attempts to use their own minds [Acrostic, Sangfroid] where shut down in the process and ultimately lynched but it was typical for how this game was played. Individual mistakes were the lynch of Red Ryu on the account of his claim - the reasoning for it was shockingly bad. A voteblocker is inherently anti-town? Whoever entertains this kind of logic should go back to newbie games. The careless claims of major power roles - Cop and Vigilante claimed/soft-claimed as early as Day 2! - also made things incredibly easy for the mafia. Night action WIFOM didn't affect them as there was nothing left for them to outguess other than the indies. It should tell you a lot about the quality of a town when they - despite playing so bad - still had the luxury of having 3 cleared players on Day 3 and still not capitalize on it in the slightest.

It is fair to say however, that the anti-town factions were playing well and the siblings could've beaten almost any roster.

Seikend - Killed N1, you didn't get the time to make an impact. Maybe next time.

Panta - I disapprove of the fake doc-claim. What were you thinking? You weren't playing very well but running the risk of luring out the real doc was a very bad idea. Inexperienced players should not pull gambits attempting to draw an NK like that - claiming Doc wouldn't have turned you into a good Night kill target either.

Tandora - I feel like you could be a little more confident in yourself and play more independently. Feels odd telling that an adult woman though <_<

SangfroidWarrior - I thought you were playing well and people just weren't playing on your level. Thanks for replacing in also.

JTB - Even a clear inactive is useless. Next time you should ... play =/

Red Ryu - Got lynched early for reasons I couldn't quite understand. I hardly remember how you played though.

Acrostic - Another player I thought done not too bad but got lost in the general weak composure of the town. Your claim was a horrible idea though - there was a full clear and you basically claimed only to confirm a semi-cleared player. What was the point of that? I assume that you were a bit trigger happy with your role but you couldn't have chosen a worse time to make that claim - with one semi-viable investigation result you obviously should've waited and just kept on playing the way you did: suspicious enough to not be killed in the night, safe enough to avoid a lynch.

Traveling Cat - Inactive Doc =[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

Hilt - Your vig choice wasn't the worst but I don't like the way you played. Semi-inactivity is excusable but you not only failed to make constructive input but your decisions and read were generally off. You have the potential to become a good player but you'd have to play a little more and maybe try a litte harder. I'm not convinced you do.

J - I don't think the comparison between your play in this game and mine in Royal Sleepover is a good one. You had no reason to take any chances, while I had a guilty on me - how can you even compare these situations? You were playing a good game and had things under perfect control, not to mention that things would have only gotten easier from about the time you were lynched. Not that you should've anticipated how this endgame would play out but if you have *no* pressure on you, there's no point in fake-claiming jailer when a doc claim occured. What was the point of taking that risk? I didn't have a choice when it happened to me but you definitely had. You could've played MvP level [and scored the win for mafia] had you decided to just keep your game up

Nicholas - Thanks for replacing in. By the time you joined you had very little influence over how the game could play out and you made the best use of your ability as well. I personally would've lynched the shit out of you for that "case" on Sang [followed by the immediate execution] but I wasn't in that game and there were no further actions to be taken other than the final kill

Ryker - I was surprised by how you were considered so townie when your playerslot was not very active for most of the first 3 Day phases. But when you were there afterwards you did your job and held the mafia together. You didn't do very much but what you did, you did well.

July & Kuz - Strong play and a side of luck were the basis of a strong performance. The roles and passive abilites definitely worked well with your playstyles and the absence of a town threat made things even easier. Kuz being BP had the freedom to control the direction of this game alongside J, while the town consistently was two steps behind and a night kill was not to be feared. July was the ideal partner for kuz as she's obviously skilled enough to hold her own. The amount of cleared townies and her ability to keep a low profile a long way into a game allowed her to remain out of the spotlight while being immune to lynches. A well-deserved win and obvious MvP contenders.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Will you be posting the QTs Gheb or leaving it up to the players to decide whether to?
Only the indies had a QT - I leave it up to them.

I watched around when D1 was starting. What were the fakeclaims in this game? I'm curious to know, Gheb.
Zorn and Thorn had Steiner and Quina as safeclaims
Mafia had Beatrix, Freya and Marcus

Tandora

Smash Rookie
I'll be honest, I gave up after J was lynched because I saw that the tide had turned against me and I had neither the time or energy to make a defense I knew would be shoot down even by town players. Maybe a too negative attitude, but I feel that's how my games are any more.

Some day people will listen to me when I say Ryker is scum. I've been right every time since Dissidia.

Some day, Ryker, some day.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
I believed you Tandora but I was indy so I didn't end up following along.

Reading that QT makes me chuckle because of my J read that kept fluctuating.

Erupting Burning RYKERRR!!!

th3kuzinator|Ryker
Aiming for joint. Didn't expect to straight lose.

I'll be honest, I gave up after J was lynched because I saw that the tide had turned against me and I had neither the time or energy to make a defense I knew would be shoot down even by town players. Maybe a too negative attitude, but I feel that's how my games are any more.

Some day people will listen to me when I say Ryker is scum. I've been right every time since Dissidia.

Some day, Ryker, some day.
One day your case may have legs instead of being bad.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Oh well that's alright. Sad we lost after all that work I did but meh doesn't really matter since I'm 100% glad with the way I played this game.

Anyways thanks for hosting and yay for a scum-faction winning this game.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
*sigh*

I was seriously worried about indy siblings, and I seriously thought it was Sang/kuz. Well, I was half-right. :/

@kuz/July
Props to both of you. I never saw July's indy flip coming, and the only reason I suspected kuz was due to him being BP (with a doctor already flipped and Sang's play SERIOUSLY feeling like indy).

@Gheb
Yeah, that case on Sang was just utterly horrible. I made it so that if I'd made a mistake (vote blocking, Sang needing an extra vote to lynch, anything like that) I could argue that it was a gambit or that I really was town and just mistaken.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Confused about why I was the N1 NK choice .__.; My play felt poor and I was kind of off the mark with my reads.

Kind of kept up after I died, congrats to July and Kuz, well played.

Thanks Gheb for hosting, felt you ran the game well.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
i played too yknow, but yeah i bailed sorry to gheb and kuzi.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
You know, this feels like Tom's FFVII mafia a lot. Good scum play from both mafia and indies, horrible town play, but the outcome was reversed with the mafia being the team to push mislynches and the indies actually winning.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
The execution was one shot, can you imagine how broken it would be if I could alpha strike multiple mislynches?

And no there wasn't a QT.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Man that was a surprise.

I take fault for the pushing on inactives I did. Everything after that was poor reasoning to push my lynch. It more likely to be a scum role than town? the heck. That is garb reasoning. Still had fun and enjoyed playing a mafia of my favorite Final Fantasy.

Thanks for hosting I'll do shoutouts when I get internet.

:phone:

July

Smash Apprentice
Yay :)

I really enjoyed this game, I've had some really good experiences with indy so far and outstanding partners here and in Pizza. Kuz, thank you sooo much for all your help through this, your play was outstanding and most importantly this was a lot of fun. I'm glad we got to be partners for once, and I've learned a lot from you not just for this game but mafia in general :D

We also talked a lot on aim, but there is still a lot of good stuff in the qt as well.

Gheb thank you for hosting, this game was extremely fun and very well-modded, and i really enjoyed my role and the way Kuz and my roles complemented each other.

A couple players I'd like to comment on:

Sang- This was the first game I ever played with you and I think you played really well. You were not only active but I saw you thinking and challenging your own read on J this entire time. I did have a scum read on you at times but it was never very strong, you always kept me thinking and questioning your motives, which made it fun to play with you.

RR- Your change in play from D. Gray to here was pretty jarring, and while you weren't as scummy as a lot of players made you out to be but you didn't handle the pressure well. That made you an easy push and an easy mislynch for D1 unfortunately.

Ryker- I liked your play here, I had a town read on you from the get-go and from your push on Seikend, and the way you interacted with J seemed legit.

TCat- You were kinda right about me :p

Nich- You were hard to read, your interactions with J once again seemed legit and Kuz made a good point that you threw J's name out to be vigged if he didn't claim and in many ways pushed him to act on his soft cc of Panta, which looked very good for you when J flipped town. Your claim was hella suspicious, but that didn't end up factoring into the game. Good play overall.

J- Always fun to play with you J <3

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
I wish I'd gotten the chance to replace in, reads on all scum except for July and Ryker. Tcat lynch was very much merited but obv. ended in a poor result, and it seemed like town really hit the slump at that point.

Congrats to July/Kuz for what was definitely a well-deserved win -- July, winning in an indy pair again! Haha. And in a game run by Gheb. You two ran this player list.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Good stuff, guys. Kuz better get MVP for this. Definitely deserves it. Always liked the BP/UnLynchable combo. Fun game, good stuff, Gheb! :)

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
We havn't seen a davig in a game that wasn't BiM or Kingmaker in a long time. If you know how to balance that **** well it really adds some flare to the setup. Especially with the countering executioner role.

That's one thing I will say I thought was well done, Gheb.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I added the Dayvig to counter the unlynchable July and the Executioner to make it easier to lynch the bulletproof Kuz. I did it all for you :)

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
It would have been so much cooler if we hadn't wasted it on Panta, though.

Smart move @ Nich for first suggesting to shoot J over Panta. I honestly didn't think you would be complex enough to do that as scum.

Also good job @ Ryker for making me read him as obvtown. Fooled me good. Your play on the last day was scummy as **** which made me start having doubts but this was because you thought you would win after the execution so understandable. I've seen your scum play in plenty of games as well as being mates with you in Gheb's other game and this play was a real step forward from that. I don't know how much of that was Laundry but w/e

J your gambit was terrible. Almost the entire player list had you as town except me and Panta had already soft claimed doc. He would have been lynched after tcat flipped and you outing yourself as the roleblocker for no reason was dumb. If you had played it safe it would have taken a lot out of me to lynch you. The biggest supporter of your wagon that would help push it was Ryker and he was just bussing you so he could have decided to let the wagon go in another direction.

July I think I've already expressed how awesome it is to play with you through aim so I don't need to repeat myself. Well done and you're definitely welcome as my scum-mate anytime :embarrass:

Acrostic thank you for playing so lucidly that I read you as obvtown despite your words making grounds for a case against you. I really think you're the best new player we have around here and your playstyle is fun to watch.

Panta same thing just never ever gambit like that again.

Its funny because Hilt's playstyle just textbook reminds me of the old metagame that existed on SWF before I joined. I have read plenty of past games here and the resemblance was striking. I think you played a pretty good game overall. Everything you actually said I agreed with its just the way you went about saying it gave me some doubts (but then I remembered the old metagame and that made me realize you were town). The one thing I didn't like was your dismissal of RR's claim. Looked scummy. Other than that well played just sucks your shot was wasted.

Seikend I don't remember too much but you died N1 as a vanilla so GJ for that.

RR I don't really like the new over aggro tone you've adopted in your recent games. I know this probably stems from being thought of as the policy lynch in past games but something about it bugs me. I think its that you overlook a fair amount of subjective information because you're viewing the situation too objectively. Basically you're sacrificing your layered analysis for a more shallow one. This works when scum makes textbook errors but it will lead you into lynching inactives/dumb townies more often than scum.

JTB be less useless as the modconfirmed townie please.

Sang I thought played well. She was open to suggestions and read arguments rationally. She didn't just tunnel the **** out of dumb things but re-evaluating her reads which is the most important skill for a good town player to have. Sorry you got shafted by other bad townie play.

TCat I actually truly thought was scum. Her case on July was bad and her switch to Acrostic looked so opportunistic I don't even. Why she didn't even claim doc when it was clear she might be lynched was also strange and made D2 the most unproductive long day in the history of mafia.

Tandora I had a hard town read on but I ended up switching it due to process of elimination when I held that Ryker was town over everyone else. Your play was okay but like Gheb said, you should be more confident in what you do. Your posts come off with a bit of indecision which is fine in helping me read you but doesn't help convince everyone else that your reads are right. Good job about pinning Ryker, that was my fault.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
We havn't seen a davig in a game that wasn't BiM or Kingmaker in a long time. If you know how to balance that **** well it really adds some flare to the setup. Especially with the countering executioner role.

That's one thing I will say I thought was well done, Gheb.
UTrick'd, the DayVig killed you.

:phone:

SangfroidWarrior

Smash Journeyman
This game was really fun and I'm glad that I replaced in. It got really frustrating sometimes (especially with J turning out to be scum and trying to incriminate me because of our interactions... that jerk lol) but I have to say, although I sucked at finding the scum (it didn't even occur to me to look for an indy :awesome:), I had a great time interacting with all the players. I have to say, though. Was not expecting either July or Kuzi to be indies.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I wasn't in the game, so I heard Kuzi's rant about how scummy J was and how fail that Day was where the doctor got lynched. Something about Panta softclaiming doctor, then a bunch of drama as he took it back and J counterclaimed etc...

and then the inactive real doctor was lynched without getting a chance to claim, and panta was vigged or something. It sounded hilariously terrible.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
It was. Believe me, it was. I was face palming at J counterclaiming Panta's doc soft claim, and then laughing when Panta got vigged and flipped VT before double face palming when the lynch for the day was THE REAL DOC, who never spoke up during all of that.

And I don't think anyone saw July/Kuz indies coming. (I'd sorta be sad if my faction had won and gotten MVP for this game, the town play was so bad it was pretty easy to just coast through.)

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I'm pretty sure Kuz told me he was an indy on skype and I still didn't believe him.
Then again I didn't read the game at all so what do I know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom