• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Game Discussion

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Edit: Oh, and while CGoH balance was crap for some parts, in my opinion TvC: UAS is amongst the best balanced fighting games ever, and there is still some potential for many characters.
To be fair, that's because the game never developed enough to really get a good feel for what everyone's potential was.
Except G. Lightan.

Last edited:

mmKALLL

Smash Cadet
As much as G. Lightan is bashed upon, while I do agree that he is an unviable character for high level competetive play, he actually has some fairly interesting possibilities. As long as the player is... Patient enough... I think that Lightan does in fact have the possibility to seriously contend with the cast. He probably even has an edge over some teams, although with difficulty.

However, his hard counters are ridiculously easy to play as against him and require a lot of patience to deal with, but I think that the difference can be mitigated in the hands of a skilled Lightan player. Unfortunately, if the opponent also knows the match-up's quirks, the "hard counter" part becomes reality and the lightan player will be forced to switch characters in a tournament environment (if contending for first place, at least). All in all, I think that Lightan is bashed unnecessarily much just for being the worst character - like Ganondorf, he isn't that bad, just highly unlikely to win a tournament.

As for potential - I'm quite sure that pretty much most of the game's potential is researched (although most of the findings are poorly undocumented). It has been under heavy testing, and it looks like that both on paper and in practice, there are no top tier characters to be spoken of. Generally all characters are very viable with the right partner. There are some potentially game-breaking glitches, but they are mostly theory table discussion material - the baroque unblockable looks interesting and potentially usable, though, but as a mechanism available to all, it probably won't give a huge edge to a single character. Mega crash is the only reliable way to pull it off so far too, and the scaling is horrible.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I would say Zero and Tekkaman Blade are the top tier characters. They have a winning matchup on most of the cast.

Edit: Oh, and I'd say Yatterman is pretty much close to or around their strength as well.

Last edited:

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I would say Zero and Tekkaman Blade are the top tier characters. They have a winning matchup on most of the cast.

Edit: Oh, and I'd say Yatterman is pretty much close to or around their strength as well.
I'm still totally lost on how to block Tekkaman Blade's ambiguous cross-up move. Do I stay blocking in the original direction and then swap as he changes sides?

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Too bad the game she was good at didn't have that song. :/
English theme during credits doesn't count

And if you guys say she was good in CGoH, I'll be mad lol
the english theme was JUST as good

pls not everything has to be japanese

roll 4 top tier

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I'm still totally lost on how to block Tekkaman Blade's ambiguous cross-up move. Do I stay blocking in the original direction and then swap as he changes sides?
Ignore the spinning Falchion and focus on Tekkaman Blade. You block in the direction Tekkaman Blade is in.

Last edited:

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Ignore the spinning Falchion and focus on Tekkaman Blade. You block in the direction Tekkaman Blade is in.
I'll keep that in mind. Sorry for not paying much attention to the IRC. I'm doing a lot of multi-tasking.

I know for a fact that I'll never pull off my Chun-Li BnB online with the 9-frame delay between us, so now I'm trying to come up with some easier variants that use Ryu's assist.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
the english theme was JUST as good

pls not everything has to be japanese

roll 4 top tier
I didn't mean that. Having the Roll song be only in credits where you rarely hear it wasn't good enough compared to having it in battle like MvC1 and CGoH.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I know for a fact that I'll never pull off my Chun-Li BnB online with the 9-frame delay between us, so now I'm trying to come up with some easier variants that use Ryu's assist.
Not to mention my j.2H -> H.Katzlbanger combo in the delay. It's already hard enough as it is.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Last edited:

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I don't know, I'm pretty excited. I like the idea of a character in SF4 with actual movement options, although I'm still in a love-hate relationship with charge characters

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I may try her out, but it's a big maybe as I'm not even sure if I'm gonna get Ultra.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Hope she's super cheap and everyone will get USF4 down the line anyway lol. I also have a funny feeling that all the Cammy players who feel that she got the nerf bat too hard will go towards Decapre then realized that she's a charge character and will be kinda turned off and be in a character crisis.

mmKALLL

Smash Cadet
I guess characters like Zero, Joe, and Yatterman are pretty hard to deal with. I'd imagine a skilled Doronjo, Morrigan or Jun giving a lot of trouble as well, but I can't see why T.Blade has a winning matchup on most of the characters (at least offline, where it matters). Can you elaborate?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Tekkaman Blade is da gawd~

I think it's kind of funny about Decapre, everyone seems so mad about it. She does look kind of cool, but I don't play SF4 as it is, so I doubt that I will pick it up now. I might mess around with her if someone wants to play though! Movement options are neato.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Her playstyle looks like something I would want to play, so I'm not mad or disappointed at all.

I don't play SF4 though, I haven't played any since SSF4 and doubt I'll pick up USF4. :/

Though it's funny that I'm actually slightly interested in USF4 because of the costume swap character everyone is disappointed with.

Last edited:

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Capcom totally blew the character reveal. If she'd been introduced with the other four, or dropped as a surprise (like the version select), I'm willing to bet it would have gone over much better. But six months of hype to reveal a character who is aesthetically almost identical to Cammy, and shares alot of gameplay similarities as well was beyond stupid.

Capcom needs to learn that the way people perceive their decisions is at least as (if not more) important than the actual reality of their decisions. Decapre is pretty different, but after building expectations so high, at first glance she looks lazy, just like porting over the SFxT characters looks lazy. In fact, SFxT was the ultimate example of how perception can kill a game, but it looks like in terms of the character reveal, they learned nothing from that lesson.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Summed it up for some people regarding Decapre I seriously hope she ends up cheap though.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I think Decapre looks interesting. Definitely going to need more tweaking before release.

I'm not too disappointed by the reveal mostly because GAF and other places called it way back.
I guess characters like Zero, Joe, and Yatterman are pretty hard to deal with. I'd imagine a skilled Doronjo, Morrigan or Jun giving a lot of trouble as well, but I can't see why T.Blade has a winning matchup on most of the characters (at least offline, where it matters). Can you elaborate?
High damage, great normals, mixups, and movement options are good too. He's basically another Zero. He's not able to be in your face constantly like Yatterman 1, but he's such a safe and strong character. Zero and T Blade can touch of death with pretty limited resources. Zero has the best meter gain and resets. Yatterman has fast movement and normals with some of the better pressure in the game. T Blade's a pretty safe character that can be hard to get in on with some characters. Doesn't do too bad against Zero either.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Tblade doesn't have great normals. They are quite ****ty as you have to be really far away to not get thrown during your "blockstring" and he can only pressure you with lame jump in heavys. Even a simple grounded jab can be thrown on pretty much reaction (At least that's how I think mmKall always throws me no matter how hard I try to space it). Having no blockstrings is a big deal in this game. That when combined with almost no mixups outside of jumping H really hurts the character. However it's true that when he touches you, you pretty much die. Same can be said for many, safer characters.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Iirc, Zero Ryu Jun Yat1 and Blade were considered the best. Roll Chun and Alex had the best assists, and Light an was....yeah.

Having said that, that game had the best versions of Ryu and Roll in the vs. Series to date and a grappler that's actually high tier, and should never be forgotten.

As for Decapre....I feel the reveal is gonna be this year's " still not as bad as ME3 ending" meme.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
I gotta say, I think Decapre is wonderful. When I was younger, my cousin told me that I could unlock all of the Bison Dolls on the Dreamcast version of SFA3. I tried for weeks, to no success. I'm a huge Cammy fan, and I especially wanted to unlock Decapre because she looked like Cammy. When I read the comics, my interest in her peaked. I'm super hype for her. June can't come soon enough!

I also have a funny feeling that all the Cammy players who feel that she got the nerf bat too hard will go towards Decapre then realized that she's a charge character and will be kinda turned off and be in a character crisis.
I don't care. She's going to be my second main regardless of how good/bad she is. Cammy will always be my main. Even if they nerf Cammy, I'll be fine as long as they don't nerf her back to vanilla.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
So who here seen Final Round and the grand finals of TTT2 and the Full Schedule UMVC3 macro drama over the weekend? It was hella crazy and hype.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I really feel bad for the Capcom rep during those reactions lol. The whole thing's unfortunate. I feel like people hyped it up more than Capcom did in a way. But I wouldn't say none of it is Capcom's fault either.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I feel really bad for Combofiend, Matt Dalhgren and them as well cause they are just the messengers but it honesty has a lose/lose situation they had there. I feel sorry for hardcore Capcom fans now.

Last edited:

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
My relationship with Marvel has soured considerably lately. I'm really starting to hate its design flaws and godawful character balance. It's still fun to screw around in the training room, though.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
But Marvel is meant to be busted though and ironically enough the most busted games are sometimes the most popular games to watch. Also Marve 3 had a burst mechanic that would further pushing it's status as a anime game and even Yipes said it was a anime game at Final Round lol.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I generally don't like bursts in my games unless they're really weak. I just don't like the thought of doing "mixups" in my combos.

Marvel 3 could've been really good if it had one more patch or if Ultimate wasn't forced to be rushed out. :(
I haven't gone back to it in so long. Kinda want to but I kind of don't. lol

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I get where you're coming from, it just isn't something I enjoy or even find decent in a game when it's like "round starts, you get hit, you're dead" with there being nothing at all you can possibly do the entire time but sit there and watch for 2 minutes. And really, when you get right down to it, Bursts are essentially in terms of how they're often used "just anime combo breakers" so I've never really seen anything wrong with them at all. I mean yeah, you have long almost insta-death combos in KOFXIII, but you usually have to spend all of your resources doing it, leaving you significantly weaker when the next character comes in. In Marvel, it feels like this sort of thing happens only taking up 1 or 2 bars of meter, which you get back through the combo itself.

Of course, I made the mistake of asking a couple of people on SRK what they'd think of the idea of UMVC3 having a Burst or a Combo Breaker mechanic and reactions were...naturally 'negative' to say the least. I like having a burst or special cancel type things or whatever, because it gives me a lot of different ways and options for using my resources and it makes it feel like, to me, there's different ways to approach every situation. And just about every fighter I've played has had some way that stops things from simply being an instant "one touch death" combo thing (barring yes, a couple of Kokonoe things, which are getting dealt with) from DOA5U, TTT2, BB, P4A, SCV, the Street Fighter IV series, to Guilty Gear, MK9, and Injustice. Even KOFXIII and CVS2 are way different about it due to pacing, the resource requirement, and the more 1v1 feel of it. I know this is way past 2 cents worth now, but just giving my thoughts

I guess the TLDR version is: I like to still be able to play after I've gotten hit.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I'm personally a big fan of the burst mechanic. GG's in particular is a very well made universal mechanic that goes a long way in reducing possible stupid stuff that would bring the game down, while adding a lot to the game itself.

I certainly don't think they need to be in every game, but I would without a doubt put a burst system into any fighting game I would make.

Top Bottom