• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Game Discussion

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
OOOOHOHOHOHOHOHOH
Statler and Waldorf should do streaming commentary.

I forgot to mention that I played Tekken 5 DR Friday night as well. Feels way better than Tekken 6. Guess it helps that Xiaoyu had her cartwheel and phoenix stance roll in that game.

I remember hearing Tekken 6 and SC4 are considered slower than their predecessors and that TTT2 and SC5 are way faster paced, am I right? If so, let's hope Capcom follows with this trend with SFxTK and future games. And let's not forget Nintendo as well, but I'm keeping that "game" out of this thread beyond what I've said.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Man, I really dislike the term "esports." It sounds so silly.
I kinda get what you mean, with that. But then again, when I look at Korea getting like 20,000+ people for a Starcraft tournament and thousands of screaming fangirls over players like Boxer and stuff as well as coverage on like 2 of their "ESPN/TSN-like channels", I kinda think it might just be a silly pride thing we have in not wanting to sound goofy.

Atlus8

Smash Master
I kinda get what you mean, with that. But then again, when I look at Korea getting like 20,000+ people for a Starcraft tournament and thousands of screaming fangirls over players like Boxer and stuff as well as coverage on like 2 of their "ESPN/TSN-like channels", I kinda think it might just be a silly pride thing we have in not wanting to sound goofy.
I agree!

Honestly, I didn't think the term esports rubbed people the wrong way until I started reading some of the comments on shoryuken whenever there was an article that talked about Starcraft 2! Even if it does look like they are "selling out" to all the sponsors, they are still getting an incredible amount of numbers in terms or attendance and prize money!

Also, it doesn't hurt when an entire country supports a video game! Think about it, imagine if the U.S gave fighting games the exposure that the NFL, NBA and MLB are getting!

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Well, considering MLB barely gets watched anymore compared to the mid-90s and earlier, and that I NEVER got how the NFL was anywhere NEAR as popular as it is, you have a good point. I mean, it works pretty darn well for Halo doesn't it?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'll never understand how American football got popular in the first place. Always thought it was more boring than a Dhalsim mirror.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That's one reason. That, and it heavily contributed to Futurama's death on Fox, but thank God for Adult Swim.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah...I sorta caused a big argument in the stream chat when I said I didn't see what the big deal about Skullgirls was and that it seemed "just okay, I guess...". Hm, though saying the main guy behind it was a butthurt ex-GG/BB player probably didn't help.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Skullgirls looks cool, but also a little too slow imo. If Ms. Fortune didn't show up I probably would not be interested in it at all.

I love that you can play as a single character though.

Melty has me hyped, but I don't know when I may get it. Importing is kind of :urg:
It's impossible for me to not be hyped for a Persona 4 fighter, can't wait for that.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I get the whole Skullgirls just looks okay, but...

Why would you even say that?

A lot of the stream monsters were being really annoying and stupid, and a couple of them were going on about how KOFXIII was garbage and trying to insist Kasumi Ninja was an amazing game that never got its due. Simply put, I just got REALLY pissed off, and kind of snapped and went on a bit of a mini rant without even thinking about what I was saying. I wound up saying that at some point during it.

Sorry, Lythi. I don't ACTUALLY think that about Mike Z or about Skullgirls, or anything like that. I just have a tendency to say stuff I don't mean when I get pissed and feel bad about it later. :urg:

Atlus8

Smash Master
Skullgirls looks cool, but also a little too slow imo.
I agree! I remember the early version were slow too, but the developers did increase the speed of the game over time! However, last night's stream looked like they went back to normal speed they started out with! Not a good move!

Edit - Stream monsters are funny as hell! NEVER take anything they say seriously! I'm sure they are just playing stupid to piss people off!

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
A lot of the stream monsters were being really annoying and stupid, and a couple of them were going on about how KOFXIII was garbage and trying to insist Kasumi Ninja was an amazing game that never got its due. Simply put, I just got REALLY pissed off, and kind of snapped and went on a bit of a mini rant without even thinking about what I was saying. I wound up saying that at some point during it.

Sorry, Lythi. I don't ACTUALLY think that about Mike Z or about Skullgirls, or anything like that. I just have a tendency to say stuff I don't mean when I get pissed and feel bad about it later. :urg:
Wowwww, nice. How do you get trolled by stream monsters? They say stupid **** about EVERY GAME.

About SG.. it really needs to speed up and more characters. Those are my only complaints. Though they did say that there could be up to 40 characters through DLC.. but wtf, thats a lot of money yo.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I normally have the chat turned off when I'm watching streams since it slows down my pc sometimes with how much it floods stuff, but I didn't yesterday because doing that causes ads to block parts of the left side of the screen. Of course, today I was like "oh right, there's a popout, and just didn't worry about it, lol.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Been messing around on Garou and CvS2 again. Fun stuff.
I didn't know the Melty demo was finally up so maybe I'll get it later. I already own MBAA so I'm not super excited for a demo that's just balance changes.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Garou is probably the most fun game I've ever played that 1. I don't even know how to play at all, and 2. that I had to play on a NeoGeo emulator.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I've been playin the **** outta MOW too. The game is actually pretty hard. Trying to learn Dong. This game has tons of cancels.
Hotaru's a pretty easy character to use, so I haven't ran into a lot of difficulties yet. I'm not sure how long I'll be into Garou, but I might try and pick up Gato and learn him a bit.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
She has a lot of pretty difficult feint combos in the corner. Gato is mad good. That neck breaker punishes everything.. Plus you can build two meters in like 3 secs, which is why he is also stupid.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
So I don't normally come in here, and I'm really sorry if I am disrupting the current discussion...but I want to get a good fight stick. I can dual mod it just fine, but I need some suggestions.

I've asked a couple people and I've heard mixed things. What do you guys personally use?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Qanba Q4RAF for the most part, because it's already tri-modded (PS3, 360, PC) plus it has Sanwa parts.

MadCatz TEs and HRAPs are pretty good too, but if there's a tournament and I don't know what they're playing on, Qanba is the way to go imo.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Could someone give me a basic rundown of Melty Blood, btw? I've never played one so I don't know how they play.

Either way, I've heard only good things about Qanba sticks, so I'd recommend them. But...did you switch from first to third to first person in the middle of one sentence? *gasp* Oh, the grammar police wouldn't like THAT. ;)

Top Bottom