• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Game Discussion

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I think you'll like it. I've still got a ways to go before I get the hang of it, but hey. Also, Saiki's human form is crazy. It's like...Ash on steroids with meterless canceling on some moves.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
You could always do King/Kyo/Athena, Kula/Kyo/Athena, or Elizabeth/Athena/King if you wanted that.

Hm...this has me thinking...

Benimaru/Athena/(Ryo, Robert, or King) or Athena/Saiki/K' secondary team mayhaps?

Either one would probably be quite good, ignoring that everyone on the 2nd team has a teleport, lmao.

Atlus8

Smash Master
Played KOFXIII online for the first time ever and . . . it's not good! Sad to say that it is a little worse than Mortal Kombat! Especially since this game requires some strict timing when blocking and dodging! I was playing with a friend that lives a half hour away and we both have played some AE before and it was nothing but smooth games on that one! However, for KOFXIII we both had 3 green bar connections and played roughly 10 games with input lag on all games!

I hope online gets fixed soon so I can really enjoy the hell out of this game!

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
I guess it's more relevant if I post it here. So hello. I am trying to get into fighters and I've been playing Tekken 6 lately and I would go into practice mode and learn a bunch of moves and I would successfully pull them off on the cpu but when I go online, I find myself going back to button mashing 95% of the time. It's as if all that crap I've been trying to learn suddenly disappears and I vaguely remember some of the moves I just learned. How do I stop this? Also, anyone plays this and would maybe play with me? Everyone keeps disconnecting on me after it syncs :|

Also, what games out there would you recommend right now for the PS3?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
You could always do King/Kyo/Athena, Kula/Kyo/Athena, or Elizabeth/Athena/King if you wanted that.

Hm...this has me thinking...

Benimaru/Athena/(Ryo, Robert, or King) or Athena/Saiki/K' secondary team mayhaps?

Either one would probably be quite good, ignoring that everyone on the 2nd team has a teleport, lmao.
I dunno, I'm constantly switching it up and finding new characters that I like. Athena doesn't need meter, so I would always put her in the point or second position, never anchor. Now, I'm kinda thinking something along the lines of Mai/Yuri/King. I really like Yuri's air fireballs. I dunno, this game has too many cool characters that I know nothing about. D:

I guess it's more relevant if I post it here. So hello. I am trying to get into fighters and I've been playing Tekken 6 lately and I would go into practice mode and learn a bunch of moves and I would successfully pull them off on the cpu but when I go online, I find myself going back to button mashing 95% of the time. It's as if all that crap I've been trying to learn suddenly disappears and I vaguely remember some of the moves I just learned. How do I stop this? Also, anyone plays this and would maybe play with me? Everyone keeps disconnecting on me after it syncs :|

Also, what games out there would you recommend right now for the PS3?
Take your time, and slow down. Think about what you're doing. Learning how to hitconfirm and integrating your combos into playing against a real opponent is probably harder than you're giving it credit for. Tekken is very much all about footsies. Learn how to space correctly, and learn how far your pokes extend. Start with shorter combos, and build from there. Also, keep in mind that online isn't the best scenario for pulling off combos.

As far as games go, it depends on what you like, but there's a lot of them:
- Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition
- Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online (PSN)
- Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
- BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II (but the next update of this game is coming out in Spring 2012, so you may want to wait)
- Mortal Kombat 9
- Arcana Heart 3 (PSN)
- King of Fighters XIII

That's all I can think of, at the moment.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Oh well, I should've probably pointed out that there's not really an order to any of the teams I mentioned. The only "order" in the teams is the order that they came to mind, so I'd probably change up the actual play order.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Played KOFXIII online for the first time ever and . . . it's not good! Sad to say that it is a little worse than Mortal Kombat! Especially since this game requires some strict timing when blocking and dodging! I was playing with a friend that lives a half hour away and we both have played some AE before and it was nothing but smooth games on that one! However, for KOFXIII we both had 3 green bar connections and played roughly 10 games with input lag on all games!

I hope online gets fixed soon so I can really enjoy the hell out of this game!
I've tried more online today in hopes of finding a better connection. I'll set a room in Player matches for connections that are 4 only and it'll still give me people with 3. Even on 3, it's pretty difficult to hit confirm and I'm dropping all my links. Most of my hits were from guessing and punishing.

I did land my first HD combo online today which was nice. I still can't do Kyo's online because I keep dropping the part that leads to the Activation. :ohwell:

I'm starting to think UMvC3's online is better right now just because of easier mechanics.

Atlus8

Smash Master
*sigh* I played 3SO last night and I have never lost so many games in one sitting! I usually play until I win around 12-15 matches and call it, but instead I lost 12-15 games! I ended up playing a Urien player 5 times and lost them all, but he knew what he was doing and wasn't someone mashing buttons! I have to stop being such a bad@$$ and try to stop parrying every damn attack that comes at me!

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Hmm I'm surprised nobody is talking about Soul Caliber 5 in here but it's not that big in the states so yeah.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
So, I'm going through some of Benimaru's missions and his combos are actually kinda cool to do, when I actually work on it. I'm considering possibly doing an alternate team of Benimaru/Robert/Athena, or swapping Benimaru in over Kyo. Hell, I'd consider a secondary team of Saiki/Kim/K'...or maybe throw Andy in there, or possibly Elisabeth. Aagh, so many choices.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Speaking of which, I agree, and I might play Beni.

I'm thinking King/Athena/Beni for a team.

edit: Might swap Athena out though, not sure yet.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah, I kinda get what you mean as I felt the same at first about Athena. But...after having her on my team since like KOF 95, I was like "yeah, gotta use her a good bit".

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
That one game with the strange name has just revealed two new characters.
And that's it, no pictures of them fighting, just the portraits.

They are the Unreal BLACK THING and a loli.
http://inbirth.info/character.html

French-Bread doesn't want anyone getting very hyped for this game with the nonexistent info for it. :/

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
MKII was broken. Although that was the most "fun" per say MK game that I ever played, on a competitive level, it got old and stupid pretty fast.

Mileena made the game unplayable, it was just dumb to see stupid Sai spams 24/7 that was launched just slightly off the ground. I mained Liu Kang back then, and he was only Upper-Tier in MKII was because he didn't get flat out ***** by Mileena and Jax in projectile spamming.

This wasn't like the SF projectile zoning which had tons of strategy. If you played Mileena for 10 mins, you would be hard to beat. 30 mins and you'll be able to hang with the majority of people who also played Jax or Mileena.

The game was fun casually but again, on a competitive level. Mileena vs Jax, Mileena vs Mileena, Jax vs Mileena, Mileena vs Liu Kang...yep, pretty much.

Shin Kaizoku

Smash Journeyman
A MK being played competitively pre-MK3? WhatisthisIdon'teven.

But I honestly quit MK because of the monthly patches. It's like every time I find a character I like, they reduce their capabilities in the next patch.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
As far as i'm aware mvc and mk are the only ones that did that.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
I thought Kitana was the broken one in MK2?
Kitana was a good character and was competitive, however again, her sister just absolutely outclasses her due to Sai spam. Regardless shes still considered like the 4th best overall character within the game.

This is what I usually saw during my period of playing/watching MKII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPUILts3Q38

If you had a Jax or Mileena player that really knew how to set the projectile options up, it was incredibly difficult to beat. I was already getting rolled over by local players, so I couldn't even imagine playing against the Mileena players that top-leveled players like Watson did during that time.

I remember him *****ing about Mileena players in MKII before, however that's kind of odd since he would main the most OP SF character of all time in CE. Dictator.

As for the patching of fighting games. I completely and 100% agree with those who say it gets annoying. The longevity of a fighting game in many ways is that you get to play the same game for years (or at least a couple years imo, considering SFII:Ce to SFII:HF had nearly a 2 year gap between one another), and thus with that, you could build up a library of wealth and knowledge for that fighting game.

One of the reasons why other fighting games like ST, MvC2 and all lasted so long was because they didn't have patches showing up every "month" or w/e (Of course exaggerated but I'm sure most would get the point). From my personal standpoint, I feel that they should stop doing this and just simply allow players to dig into the game for a longer period of time.

To me, that's a lost commodity and I feel again, that Capcom should be more patient with their updates. Give these fighting games a few years to be broken down into before throwing so many out there. So although I may not be a huge MvC3 fan, I'm hoping that UMvC3 will last for a while so that players can really break it down into a science.

That to me has been one of the most beautiful and interesting aspects for competitive fighting game players in my opinion.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
So did everyone pretty much ditch SFIV for SSFIV? I have SFIV but I haven't played it yet.

:phone:

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Usually as soon as the next iteration of the game is released, the old one dies off pretty quickly.

Most likely, everyone's moved on to AE now.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Yeah it's the first game but I'm also watching for some AE and MK9 later and tomorrow they are showing Killer Instincts and SFAlpha3 from what I am seeing on the Spooky MK stream.

Edit: Also some CVS2 on Sunday as well. Also here's the single's schedule.

SATURDAY 12/03/11:

Singles Tournaments:

SSF4:AE -- 5:00pm -- $10 -- will continue Sunday--ps3--$750 pot Bonus plus some HOT prizes

UMvC3 -- 5:30pm -- $10 – will continue Sunday--ps3--$750 pot Bonus plus some HOT prizes

MK9 – 3pm-- start time -- $10--ps3-- $250 pot Bonus plus some HOT prizes

SC4 – 1:00pm start time -- $10 (top 8 sunday)--ps3-- Pot Bonus info coming soon

TK6 – 1:00pm start time -- $10 (top 8 Sunday)--ps3--Pot Bonus info coming soon
If you entry both T6 & TT2 it will be $16 entry

TTT2 - 3:00pm start time --$10 (top 8 sunday)--arcade

BB:CS2 – 1:00pm start time -- $10--ps3-- $1101 pot Bonus plus some HOT prizes.

GG:AC – 4:00pm start time --$10-- ps2

ST -- 5pm-- start time -- $10 – held on arcade cabinet--Pot Bonus info coming soon

MK2 – tbd start time -- $5

------------------------------------------------------------
SUNDAY 12/4/11:

SSF4:AE – continued from Saturday – 1:00pm

UMvC3 – continued from Saturday – 1:30pm

KOF13-- 4pm Start time--$10--$1000 pot bonus--ps3

SC5--

MB:AA – 12pm-- start time -- $10--Pot Bonus info coming soon

AH3--12pm-- start time-- $10 entry fee--ps3

3S:OE – 2pm start time -- $10--ps3--Pot Bonus info coming soon

CvS2 – 6:00pm-- $2 – PS2

UMK3 – 5:00pm -- $5

KI – 5:00pm - $2

A3-- tbd

CE -- tbd--arcade

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Is it Teams on the stream right now?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday 12/03/11
Team Tournaments:

SSF4:AE teams 3v3 -- 11:00am -- $30 per team

UMvc3 3v3 -- 11:30am -- $30 per team

3S:OE 3v3 -- 6:30pm

AH3 - 2v2-- 3:00pm

MB:AA 3v3 -- 5:30pm

ST 2v2 -- tbd
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Can I hope to see some Melty on this stream at anytime?

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
It's teams right now that is why I am watching SC5 right cause I'm kinda interested in it but Nebraska sucks for competitive gaming like no other.

Edit: Maybe Melty will be on the MK9 stream later don't know. I'm posting the MK and 8wayrun stream.

Edit2: SC5 is done right now and they are switching to Tekken 6 call me when Tekken Tag 2 comes out.
http://www.twitch.tv/kombatnetwork

http://www.twitch.tv/8wayrun

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
What's a good arcade pad to get? Any recommendations? Budget is around 100 bucks I guess.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
You might have a hard time finding a stick for around $100, unless you get it on sale, or get a really cheap one, which I don't recommend.

Around $130 to 150 range, give or take, I would recommend the MadCatz TE, the Hori Real Arcade Pro (HRAP), or the Qanba RAF. You can sometimes find a MadCatz SE for fairly cheap, but they're pretty bad in terms of quality, and you'll want to swap out the stick/buttons right away, which adds on to the price. Never buy the Hori Fighting Stick, it's super cheap, but it's garbage.

Check Amazon to see what sort of prices you can get, and check the MadCatz site constantly, they have sales all the time. You might be able to find one for a good price, but you'll probably have to do some digging.

edit: Also, check your local gamestore, I know Gamestop gets them in occasionally.

Top Bottom