• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Game Discussion

Atlus8

Smash Master
http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky

KoFXIII Grand Finals on now!

Edit -
You might have a hard time finding a stick for around $100, unless you get it on sale, or get a really cheap one, which I don't recommend.

Around $130 to 150 range, give or take, I would recommend the MadCatz TE, the Hori Real Arcade Pro (HRAP), or the Qanba RAF. You can sometimes find a MadCatz SE for fairly cheap, but they're pretty bad in terms of quality, and you'll want to swap out the stick/buttons right away, which adds on to the price. Never buy the Hori Fighting Stick, it's super cheap, but it's garbage.

Check Amazon to see what sort of prices you can get, and check the MadCatz site constantly, they have sales all the time. You might be able to find one for a good price, but you'll probably have to do some digging.

edit: Also, check your local gamestore, I know Gamestop gets them in occasionally.
I would wait until the end of this month if you're looking into getting a MadCatz TE stick! Last year, there was a two for one deal around mid-December! If you want to save some money, split to cost with someone else and both of you get a fresh TE stick for cheap!

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
You might have a hard time finding a stick for around $100, unless you get it on sale, or get a really cheap one, which I don't recommend.

Around $130 to 150 range, give or take, I would recommend the MadCatz TE, the Hori Real Arcade Pro (HRAP), or the Qanba RAF. You can sometimes find a MadCatz SE for fairly cheap, but they're pretty bad in terms of quality, and you'll want to swap out the stick/buttons right away, which adds on to the price. Never buy the Hori Fighting Stick, it's super cheap, but it's garbage.

Check Amazon to see what sort of prices you can get, and check the MadCatz site constantly, they have sales all the time. You might be able to find one for a good price, but you'll probably have to do some digging.

edit: Also, check your local gamestore, I know Gamestop gets them in occasionally.
Let's say I get the MadCatz TE. Would I be able to dual mod later on?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Yes, but it can be a pain in the butt.

If you were interested in dual-modding, get the Qanba. It can be used on PS3, 360, and PC. And it has the same Sanwa parts as the TE, and you will pay about the same price for it.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
There's no way Melty's gonna get screen time. The person everyone thought was gonna stream said that he can't due to lack of bandwidth. So everything's just gonna be recorded and uploaded to youtube instead.

Lol, if Melty gets put on the stream, there's gonna be a huge loss of viewers, which means less revenue when ads run. Obviously it's not gonna happen.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
There's no way Melty's gonna get screen time. The person everyone thought was gonna stream said that he can't due to lack of bandwidth. So everything's just gonna be recorded and uploaded to youtube instead.

Lol, if Melty gets put on the stream, there's gonna be a huge loss of viewers, which means less revenue when ads run. Obviously it's not gonna happen.
It kind of sucks that people are close-minded like that. That being said, the KOFXIII stream had a good number of views.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
The more I play Fate/Unlimited Codes on my PSP, the more I feel that I could actually be really good at this game if I could use a fight stick. Wish I had this for PS2...

Anybody here play that game? I'm still trying to decide ultimately who I'll end up maining. Right now it's looking like I'll either be using Emiya Shirou, Archer, Saber (or Alter), or Lancer. Archer'll probably be the toughest one for me to get good with because of constantly changing between the Bow and Kanshou/Bakuya for combos.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
The more I play Fate/Unlimited Codes on my PSP, the more I feel that I could actually be really good at this game if I could use a fight stick. Wish I had this for PS2...

Anybody here play that game? I'm still trying to decide ultimately who I'll end up maining. Right now it's looking like I'll either be using Emiya Shirou, Archer, Saber (or Alter), or Lancer. Archer'll probably be the toughest one for me to get good with because of constantly changing between the Bow and Kanshou/Bakuya for combos.
I like the PS2 version more. The PSP version plays differently so you can't do all the same combos you would've been able to do. I only use Saber (Lily, haha) and a little bit of Archer. I kinda hate the game because of how broken it is, but it's kinda fun at the same time.

I wonder if we'd be able to play Fate through Adhoc party or whatever it is. lol

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I like the PS2 version more. The PSP version plays differently so you can't do all the same combos you would've been able to do. I only use Saber (Lily, haha) and a little bit of Archer. I kinda hate the game because of how broken it is, but it's kinda fun at the same time.

I wonder if we'd be able to play Fate through Adhoc party or whatever it is. lol
It does? Does that mean that some of the loops and crap from the PSP version aren't there? Cause I try doing those ******** Kotomine kick loops and it just doesn't work. Oh well; yeah it can get kinda broken with the loops. But at least some of the characters have cool looking combos without looping (looking at you, Archer).

Imo, it's the only 3D fighting game I've come to actually like. Maybe I just gotta fight someone who knows how to break the game. lol

[EDIT]

And playing through Adhoc would be kinda cool. Wouldn't mind giving it a shot sometime.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
It does? Does that mean that some of the loops and crap from the PSP version aren't there? Cause I try doing those ******** Kotomine kick loops and it just doesn't work. Oh well; yeah it can get kinda broken with the loops. But at least some of the characters have cool looking combos without looping (looking at you, Archer).

Imo, it's the only 3D fighting game I've come to actually like. Maybe I just gotta fight someone who knows how to break the game. lol

[EDIT]

And playing through Adhoc would be kinda cool. Wouldn't mind giving it a shot sometime.
The physics of the game itself if different. Like they float differently so certain combos are impossible.
They also nerfed reflect cancels. Like before it'd work like RCing in BB but in the PSP version of this game there's lag afterwards so it's really hard to follow up.

But yeah, the broken stuff in Unlimited Codes are the stuff I hate the most yet it's the reason why I like it.
Plus it's fun playing a game with Fate characters lol.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
It's good, but that could be since I'm slowly getting into that phase where I'm like...trying to phase out BBCS2, so that I'll have an easier time picking up the new Noel in BBCSX.

Also, note it's faster, crazier, and kinda more complicated in a sense than Blazblue. Plus, it's probably the most input-specific fighter I've played so far.

Atlus8

Smash Master
I'm strongly considering getting KoF XIII. How are you guys liking it?
Also, note it's faster, crazier, and kinda more complicated in a sense than Blazblue. Plus, it's probably the most input-specific fighter I've played so far.
^^^ What that guy said! ^^^

KOFXIII is more execution heavy than SFIV! You will have an easier time getting into KOFXIII if you've played 3S, especially if you played Yun! Everyone in KOFXIII pretty much has a Genei Jin combo to work with so your execution is gonna have to be top notch!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm strongly considering getting KoF XIII. How are you guys liking it?
I like it a lot and I'm hoping this game doesn't fade away soon since it's such a good game. Definitely get it if you enjoyed SF but wanted more freedom and rushdown. Don't get it if you plan on playing just online though since you and the other person need really good internet.

It's probably my favorite fighter this gen. There's nothing I dislike about the game itself.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I like it a lot and I'm hoping this game doesn't fade away soon since it's such a good game. Definitely get it if you enjoyed SF but wanted more freedom and rushdown. Don't get it if you plan on playing just online though since you and the other person need really good internet.

It's probably my favorite fighter this gen. There's nothing I dislike about the game itself.
Dark Ash? At least boss Saiki can be killed with infinite Slipstream Slaps, lol.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Dark Ash? At least boss Saiki can be killed with infinite Slipstream Slaps, lol.
Dark Ash is easy. Saiki used to be tough, but not so much anymore. After you learn your combos, they aren't too difficult on the highest difficulty.
There are much harder SNK bosses, imo.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Just putting this out there for all of "one" people who plays this game.

MBAACC trial version is going to be up on the 12th.

Only four characters available for trial though: Sion, VSion, Arcrueid, Warc.

Shin Kaizoku

Smash Journeyman
I heard Mai recieved some decent buffs. Something about her NeoMax activating mad fast or something. I don't have the game yet, so I couldn't tell you. I'm hoping to get the game for Christmas and start with a team of K'/Yuri/Shen

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
If only online was good (although I never tried) we could play MOW.
I have no idea on how to properly play MOW though. lol
WE SHOULD. Not right now though. lol It's 2 am here. I can't play very well either. can do some feint cancels here and there butttt I'm not really great or consistent.

Thino

Smash Master
Just putting this out there for all of "one" people who plays this game.

MBAACC trial version is going to be up on the 12th.

Only four characters available for trial though: Sion, VSion, Arcrueid, Warc.
and where will that trial version be downloadable?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Finally got to try out Mexican Street Fighter tonight.

I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS GAME! Everything just feels so right. The speed, the moves, the fact that everyone has a great walk speed, etc. I originally planned on quiting SFIV if Fuerte made it into SFxTK (not looking like it if Mika's not in), but I may just quit if I can't get the satisfaction I get with KOF. I'm hating how playing is like a reverse Makoto situation for me and that I have to guess right 10 freaking times on average per round. I love mixups, but this kind is growing on my nerves.

Oh well, KOF XIII, SC5, SFxTK, TTT2, BBCSE, and Skullgirls should fill in that void. That's a lot of fighters!

And one more thing. I'm liking Mai a lot along with a few others. ME BOUNCY!

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Guhh, Elisabeth. Oi cripes. I haven't tried Mai really though. Is she decent in this version really?
Elisabeth is awesome. :3

Mai is pretty cool. I've been using her as a battery since Elisabeth relies on tons of meter. She's pretty interesting though. She's got great pokes, good normals, pretty fast, and good keepaway. And some weird tricks too, and her jump arcs are really strange. I like her.

I heard Mai recieved some decent buffs. Something about her NeoMax activating mad fast or something. I don't have the game yet, so I couldn't tell you. I'm hoping to get the game for Christmas and start with a team of K'/Yuri/Shen
Her NeoMax does activate really fast, but it scales really poorly if you have to max cancel it.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I tried Tekken Tag and VF and I started liking 3D fighters, but I loveeeeee SC2. SC4 is pretty cool too. Def my fav fighting series at this point. I've been had TTT and SC2 but I haven't played them ****s in years. I'm glad I dusted em off.

Top Bottom