• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Game Discussion

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
I have a question for you guys. When you play a new fighting game what Type of character truely fits your style?
I usually like characters thats able to keep a character in block stun with some sort of projectile, then be able to move forward while there stuck. example
Oro Super art 2 opens up so many opportunities
Rachels frog Blaze blue (Though not the safest move in the world it helps me create that particular set-up that im oh so very fond of)

Umvc3 my team is everything i can dream of Zero dr doom deadpool ( not trying to turn this into a mvc3 discussion)

so what kind of characters are you guys particularly fond of? the sturdy grapplers, characters with relkkas, zoning characters like sim?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
if the character is a girl, and she is cute, i will play her. oh and cheap.

mvc3/umvc3 - x-23/hsien ko
sfiiii3s and ssfiv - makoto aw yeeh
sfa3 - karin
melee - red ice climbers (nana on point)
vampire savior - hsien ko

all she has to do is be a cute girl and i'll main her LOL.

i do play strider doom in mvc2 but it's cuz i can't main felicia hahahahh.

i guess i also like offense too. i think jill is the cutest character in marvel 2 but she's not fast enough for me.

dang look at me getting @ those fictional characters.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
lol makoto is so damn cheap. but i respect that because u cant just pick her up & win.
i wanna main Hsien ko in VS but dat execution. & old laptop died

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Iplaywinner put up the first hour and a bit of KOFXIII Fall Brawl 2.5, if anybody's interested.

Side note, I freaking hate trolls who insist that every fighter that's ever been released on PS3 and 360 has lag on the PS3 version...despite the PS3 ports of BBCS, Tekken 6, MK9, SCIV, and the upcoming KOFXIII (from things I've heard about it) not having lag issues and actually in a couple cases being better lag-wise than the 360 versions because of conversion/port methods as that's what it's based off of. *sigh* Oh well...

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha trolls are just trolls man! whatever works for you and helps you get better at fighting games

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I have a question for you guys. When you play a new fighting game what Type of character truely fits your style?
I usually like characters thats able to keep a character in block stun with some sort of projectile, then be able to move forward while there stuck. example
Oro Super art 2 opens up so many opportunities
Rachels frog Blaze blue (Though not the safest move in the world it helps me create that particular set-up that im oh so very fond of)

Umvc3 my team is everything i can dream of Zero dr doom deadpool ( not trying to turn this into a mvc3 discussion)

so what kind of characters are you guys particularly fond of? the sturdy grapplers, characters with relkkas, zoning characters like sim?
I typically go for the characters that are appealing to me. I've noticed that I've come to enjoy goofy characters, psycho characters (i.e. Juri), and cute girls.

Other than that, I love unpredictability. I'm gonna try out Elisabeth/Kula/K' in KOF XIII. Funny how I hear they're all top tier and that I knew nothing about that except for Elisabeth.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i notice i tend to like characters with a very strong hit/grab 50-50, and very hard punishes off grabs

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I typically go for the characters that are appealing to me. I've noticed that I've come to enjoy goofy characters, psycho characters (i.e. Juri), and cute girls.

Other than that, I love unpredictability. I'm gonna try out Elisabeth/Kula/K' in KOF XIII. Funny how I hear they're all top tier and that I knew nothing about that except for Elisabeth.
Isn't a bunch of K's priority and stuff lowered for the console release, though?

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
So, KoF XIII.

I really like what I'm seeing, but I have no clue what I'm doing.

I'm going to need a lot of practice.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The jumps remind me of Smash. I'm assuming they're the same kind that are in 2k2.

Atlus8

Smash Master
I'm enjoying this game so far! Also, inputs feel a bit strict when I try to Super Cancel which I'm glad because I hate to just mash it out there since that would make combos easier! It kinda feels like 3S with everyone having a Genei-Jin to work with!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm enjoying this game so far! Also, inputs feel a bit strict when I try to Super Cancel which I'm glad because I hate to just mash it out there since that would make combos easier! It kinda feels like 3S with everyone having a Genei-Jin to work with!
And a more balanced one at that. They're pretty fun and they're not overpowered like GJ and A-Groove.
I really hated how those CCs worked in Capcom games since you could change the flow of the match just by activating it, combo or not.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I'm really enjoying KoFXIII. I haven't tried the whole cast yet but I don't think I've run into a character I couldn't enjoy playing as.

I'm playing Kula/Benimaru/Leona, but I'm still trying out other characters.

I'll probably still play BB more but I will not drop this game like I did SSF4/MvC3.
I've played one match online and there was some very noticeable input lag, though I felt I could still react to things. I want to say it was a 2 connection. :/

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I've been hearing mixed things, but never great.

It's definitely not BB quality from the one match I had. I need to give it more of a try though.

Edit: I just played against a 3 connection and it wasn't bad at all actually.

Atlus8

Smash Master
Is there some kinda shortcut for inputs cause Elisabeth's SECOND mission is giving some trouble! Don't know if I'm doing it wrong or should be doing it much faster!

Edit - I haven't tried online myself, but I haven't even picked a team yet! So far it's just Kim/Elisabeth, but I'm thinking of just getting 98 Iori in there!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Just finished all of Terry's trials. Almost done with Kula's and I'll finish up Kyo's next. These trials are pretty fun. I'm liking these way more than BB's and SF4's.
Is there some kinda shortcut for inputs cause Elisabeth's SECOND mission is giving some trouble! Don't know if I'm doing it wrong or should be doing it much faster!
I just tried that one. I just did it real fast. I don't have any other tips tbh.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
To people saying the online's really bad, while I don't have it yet, what I've been hearing from most people is that it's between SSFIVAE, and BBCS, which regardless of what your opinions are, would be infinitely better than KOFXII

Minato

穏やかじゃない
To people saying the online's really bad, while I don't have it yet, what I've been hearing from most people is that it's between SSFIVAE, and BBCS, which regardless of what your opinions are, would be infinitely better than KOFXII
Saying that it's infinitely better still doesn't mean much if the netcode is still bad lol (not saying that the netcode is bad). From my experience, it's hard to find someone with a good connection in this game. I keep getting low ones. As for how I rank the online for this gen's fighters, it's:

BlazBlue>=AE>>>>MvC3

I still don't know where to place KoF. AE is high up there since when I find a green bar connection, it usually means it's a green bar connection (unlike UMvC3). Plus I'd say over 90 percent of my AE matches, lag wasn't the real deciding factor in my losses.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
KoFXIII's color editor has left me wanting more, not enough colors.

But it's okay, I have my Guilty Gear team. Benimaru makes a great Chipp, I didn't have the colors to turn Kula into May but A.B.A worked out somehow, and it was hard to make Leona look like Baiken but I'm okay with what I have. :3

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Apparently, the more you edit things and play through the different game modes, the more colours and stuff you unlock for customizing and other things. After getting the game today and spending 3 hours on it, I have to say Ash turned out to not really be my thing, so wound up swapping him from my predicted team. That being said though, Saiki's got that typical 'boss cheapness' at the end of Arcade Mode, but Dark Ash is just a whole other kind of evil...

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
You unlock all the colors by playing as a character 40 times. You don't have to actually use the character, they just need to be on a team.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Apparently, the more you edit things and play through the different game modes, the more colours and stuff you unlock for customizing and other things. After getting the game today and spending 3 hours on it, I have to say Ash turned out to not really be my thing, so wound up swapping him from my predicted team. That being said though, Saiki's got that typical 'boss cheapness' at the end of Arcade Mode, but Dark Ash is just a whole other kind of evil...
I found Dark Ash to be really easy. Saiki was pretty hard though.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I dunno, you can't even SEE Dark Ash as it's just a big black cloud. And plus, tossing out literally 3-4 fireballs at once is kinda...yeah.
The background's white though lol. And I dunno, I beat him on my first try. Almost depleted all of his health with just Kula. Saiki kept grabbing me and being all psychic.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yesterday I got my first 3 bar connection on KoF XIII and it wasn't too bad. Definitely playable, imo. It's just hard to find people with such good connections in this game. Too bad that person that I played rage quit after I beat his first character :ohwell:

So I guess my ranking for online would be BB>=SF4>KoF XIII

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I guess my question is if it's fair to say that a game such as KOFXIII has worse netcode than AE due to it being harder to find a 3 connection, when AE has WAAAY more people playing it currently, and probably will always have more people playing it?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I guess my question is if it's fair to say that a game such as KOFXIII has worse netcode than AE due to it being harder to find a 3 connection, when AE has WAAAY more people playing it currently, and probably will always have more people playing it?
No, I think you're misunderstanding. KoF's netcode isn't as good period which is why it's hard to find someone with a 3 or higher connection. Not because there are less people playing. Living in SoCal, I still can't find anyone when I manually set a custom match with a connection of 3 or better.

And AE is a mixed bag. I've faced a friend in Canada on a yellow connection and the connection itself was good to the point where my reaction and links didn't suffer. And that connection was better than anyone I've faced in KoF. Then there are times when I face people midwest and you can't react to anything.

There's still hope for a patch. After all, BBCT's netcode was atrocious on the first week of release.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah, I misinterpreted what you were trying to get at. And with regards to a netcode patch or whatever, there's supposedly talk about it already with them collected player feedback or whatever. I mean, it probably still won't make us able to have 4 person rooms where you can play on rotation, but still.

Top Bottom